Tremors of faith collapse
into darkness. A cloud
of light stretches to soil,
smothering all companions.

We were too lethargic
to listen. Now we rest
in judgment, protected
by a quilt of ashes.

*In memory of all those lost August 24th, 79 A. D.

Copyright © 2004 Lorraine M Kanter
All rights reserved by Lorraine M Kanter as an unpublished work.

A Quilt of Ashes (first revision - TY Alan!)

Rising to the sky in a sudden blast,
your branches break free in a cloud.
Unsupported, you spread sideways,
a clamor of white and gray.

You have spoken, maturing
in a moment, forever
frozen in time.

Crimson colored pumice
and fiery flames burst forth,
your show of strength.
Exhaled, dust-laden air
suffocates scenery.

A rain of ash and fire settles
over Pompeii, blowing kisses
of mephitic gas to us, worshippers
of your awesome beauty.

The sea that once nurtured you
turns to shoal. Waves of light
and dark find solace no more.

in a moment, forever
frozen in time.

into darkness. A cloud
crushing all companions.

We were too lethargic
to listen. Now we rest
in judgment, protected
by a quilt of ashes.

© 2003 Lorraine M Kanter

A Quilt of Ashes

Rising into the sky in a sudden blast,
Unsupported, you spread sideways
in a clamor of white and gray.

in a moment forever
frozen in time.

Crimson covered pumice
and fiery flames burst forth
in a show of strength.
You exhale dust-laden air,
suffocating scenery.

Rains of ash and fire settle
over Pompeii. You blow kisses
of mephitic gas to those who
had worshipped your beauty.

turns to shoal where waves of light

in a moment forever
frozen in time.

into Darkness. A cloud
of Light stretches to soil,
crushing all companions.

We were too lethargic
to listen. Now we lay
in judgment, protected
by a quilt of ashes.

© 2003 Lorraine M Kanter

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Charon
post Nov 8 03, 15:35
Post #2

Egyptian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 5
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hi ya,

This was cool, although you used some words that the ole Hun had to go look up.  Long time no see, here's hoping that I can get back in the flow of things.

You almost could drop the Pompeii  reference and use this poem for any volcano.

I like.

AtH

·······IPB·······

Beware the smile
for it hides a good time.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 8 03, 16:06
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

QUOTE(Atila The Hun @ Nov. 08 2003, 15:35)
Hi ya,

This was cool, although you used some words that the ole Hun had to go look up.  Long time no see, here's hoping that I can get back in the flow of things.

You almost could drop the Pompeii  reference and use this poem for any volcano.

I like.

AtH

Why HELLO AtH!  lovie.gif  cheer.gif

How are you my friend? Glad to see you!  Snowflake.gif

Thanks much for stopping in and commenting. You've got a really good point there, and this could work without the 'Pompeii reference' I agree.

Thanks again and welcome back! sun.gif

HUGAROOOOS!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Nov 8 03, 16:24
Post #4

Dear Cleo

Yeah, I was wondering where he was too !

Anyway, it is touching that you write in memory of people who died 1900 years ago.

For the moment one Q :

We were too lethargic
to listen. Now we lay   -- don't you mean "lie" ?
in judgment, protected
by a quilt of ashes.

I also see some points where the wording could be tightened up, but I'm not sure that you would want this.

Love
Alan

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 8 03, 16:30
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alan @ Nov. 08 2003, 16:24)
Dear Cleo

Yeah, I was wondering where he was too !

Anyway, it is touching that you write in memory of people who died 1900 years ago.

For the moment one Q :

We were too lethargic
to listen. Now we lay   -- don't you mean "lie" ?
in judgment, protected
by a quilt of ashes.

I also see some points where the wording could be tightened up, but I'm not sure that you would want this.

Love
Alan

Hi ALan.

This is one of those trick questions I think? LOL.gif

Lie or lay? In this reference, I used 'lay' to mean 'rest' and 'positioned' as a verb, so I think it's ok?

Please tell me more!  :smart:

HUGS!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Nov 8 03, 16:47
Post #6

Dear Cleo

in a moment forever
frozen in time.

in a moment,* forever
frozen in time.

Crimson covered pumice
in a show of strength.
suffocating scenery.

Crimson colored pumice
your show of strength.
Exhaled,* dust-laden air,
suffocates scenery.

of mephitic gas to us, worshipers
of your awesome beauty.

in a moment,* forever
frozen in time.

into Darkness. A cloud  -- why the cap D & L - does personifying them add anything?
crushing all companions.

We were too lethargic
to listen. Now we lie,
judged, but protected too -              in judgement, or judged ?
by your quilt of ashes.

Cleo, somewhere near the end I forgot to copy the verse to amend it. Sorry.

This is a powerful piece, I have condensed slightly, made some slight suggested changes. Feel free to erupt if I have done wrong !

Look forward to your comments.

Love
Alan

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 8 03, 17:28
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Alan!

Thank you very much! I've revised this one already with most of your ideas!

No need to personify the Dark and Light references.

I also changes lay to rest, LOL.gif!

Anyway - thanks much! sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Nov 8 03, 17:59
Post #8

Dear Cleo

Pleased to have helped. Becoming a powerful piece.

By coincidence, this week I heard a reading of part of a book on radio, to do with this day. I bet you know exactly which book it was !

Love
Alan

Cybele
post Nov 9 03, 03:08
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Dear Cleo, sun.gif

Further to Alan's remark about this subject, the BBC last week showed a programme about the last days of Pompeii.  Extremely well done it was too.  :king2:

Ralph and I visited Sorrento and Pompeii many years ago and your very powerful poem brings back the memories of this trip. I have pictures of the streets of Pompeii and Herculaneum and have been trying to write a piece myself - no luck so far. Maybe I can gain inspiration from your wonderful poem.

Love

Grace  :read:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 9 03, 05:42
Post #10

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Lori

Wonderful poem......nothing jerky........nice and smooth........

Your quite a historian Lori.....very vivid pictures come to mind.  :)

Regards grinning.gif

John

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 9 03, 08:01
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alan @ Nov. 08 2003, 17:59)
Dear Cleo

Pleased to have helped. Becoming a powerful piece.

By coincidence, this week I heard a reading of part of a book on radio, to do with this day. I bet you know exactly which book it was !

Love
Alan

Thanks Alan!

Still toying with the 'lie' 'lay' or 'rest' question. LOL.gif

That would have been FUN to listen to! HHmmm - let me guess - Homer's "Odyssey" or "Illiad"?

I must break out my books and read them!  huh.gif  Read.gif

Hugarooos!
~Cleo  lovie.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 9 03, 08:08
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cybele @ Nov. 09 2003, 03:08)
Dear Cleo, sun.gif

Further to Alan's remark about this subject, the BBC last week showed a programme about the last days of Pompeii.  Extremely well done it was too.  king2.gif

Ralph and I visited Sorrento and Pompeii many years ago and your very powerful poem brings back the memories of this trip. I have pictures of the streets of Pompeii and Herculaneum and have been trying to write a piece myself - no luck so far. Maybe I can gain inspiration from your wonderful poem.

Love

Grace  Read.gif

Hi Grace! Fish.gif

Ohhh- I WISH I knew about that! I would have LOVED to watch it! I do have satellite dish, so maybe it'll be on again and I can watch it on BBC or perhaps they'll run it History Channel or Discovery Channel. Most recently, I watched a great show about Bram Stoker on the Travel Channel (of all places)!

There are sooooo many great pictures on the Web about Pompeii! If you read up on it, you'll find that the ash actually preserved everything. They've found some wonderful Mosaics still rich in color! I have one on our new page 3 postcards actually from Pompeii (I think there are 2)?

Some of the people tried to get away, and some just cuddled up in their homes (not sure what they were thinking - the gases probably did them in). Pliny the Elder, tried to rescue the town's people on sea, but even his ships were wiped out by falling debris, pumice and flames (not to mention tidal waves).

I would love to visit all these ancient places some day! It must have been exciting to visit!  sun.gif

Perhaps with your pictures, it'll stir your muse?

Thanks for stopping by! :roman:  (this is the roman one)...
Hugarooos!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 9 03, 08:12
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Arnfinn @ Nov. 09 2003, 05:42)
Hi Lori

Wonderful poem......nothing jerky........nice and smooth........

Your quite a historian Lori.....very vivid pictures come to mind.  :)

Regards grinning.gif

John

Hi John!  :grinning:

Thanks very much!  :sings:

Why thanks you for your compliment! I enjoy reading, and watching shows about the Ancients!

(Otherwise, this Mosaic would have been quite different)! Jester.gif

Hugaroooos!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Nov 9 03, 08:55
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hi Cleo,wave.gif

Yes this was all in the programme. Absolutely fascinating.

Don't Know if you can get our Channel 4 programme via satellite, but they are starting a new series of Ancient Egyptians at 9pm GMT on Thursdays starting in 1469BC and the battle of Megiddo. Story focuses on Pharoah Tuthmosis III.

If you can't, is there any way I can video them for you and send them on?

I don't wish to invade your privacy though.  :talktohand:

Love

Grace  :wave:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 9 03, 09:39
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cybele @ Nov. 09 2003, 08:55)
Hi Cleo,wave.gif

Yes this was all in the programme. Absolutely fascinating.

Don't Know if you can get our Channel 4 programme via satellite, but they are starting a new series of Ancient Egyptians at 9pm GMT on Thursdays starting in 1469BC and the battle of Megiddo. Story focuses on Pharoah Tuthmosis III.

If you can't, is there any way I can video them for you and send them on?

I don't wish to invade your privacy though.  talktohand.gif

Love

Grace  wave.gif

Hi Grace.  :king:

Unfortunately, we cannot access your channel 4.  :oops:

It is most assuredly something I will watch when it makes its way over here! You can bet the farm on that!  :rofl:  :detective:  :alien2:

Our video system is different from yours so even if you were so kind to tape it, we would not be able to view it. SIGH.  :upside:

I'll just have to keep my eyes and ears open for when it makes it's way over here. What network is your channel 4?

Thanks for the invtiation just the same!  :sun:  :lovie:

HUGS!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Nov 13 03, 00:28
Post #16

If you, the moderator, gets this much criticism, what can I expect.  I guess I'll lay down with it and cry, I mean lie.  Wait I don't lie, this is confusing.  Anyway great poem in my humble opinion.  Wish I'd met you guys before my chapbook was published.
iblieve

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 13 03, 20:34
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(iblieve @ Nov. 13 2003, 00:28)
If you, the moderator, gets this much criticism, what can I expect.  I guess I'll lay down with it and cry, I mean lie.  Wait I don't lie, this is confusing.  Anyway great poem in my humble opinion.  Wish I'd met you guys before my chapbook was published.
iblieve

Hellooooooo C.W.!  :wizard:

LOL! I'm not a mod, I'm an admin here!  ???  :laugh: grinning.gif

I don't look at this as criticism, it's a learning experience! This is MILD too, so it's not too difficult to interact here in Homer's Homilies.  :cloud9:

WOW 0 the WIND is out of control outside!!! Better make sure I've got some candles handy!

Ahhh - the best crits are the ones from the heart! It's easy to express a reaction when done truthfully, without offending. You'll see soon enough "C"!

Well, I thank you for your visit!  :dragon:  WELCOME again to MM!

Ahhhh, you've been published! WAY COOL!

You'll have to enlighten us bowdown.gif

Hugaroooos!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Siren
post Nov 14 03, 20:17
Post #18

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13

Lori,

WOW!!! What a Quilt!!!!

The images evoked and emotions... I'm truly enchanted by this...

Dani

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Guest_Zeus˛_*
post Nov 15 03, 04:24
Post #19

Lori,
after watching several programs about the excavations that have gone over the years, and seeing these people frozen in time, your  poem gives a bit more realizm and connection as to how, what and why.
Larry cool.gif

Aphrodite
post Nov 23 03, 09:03
Post #20

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Cleo_Serapis @ Nov. 08 2003, 10:16)
A Quilt of Ashes (first revision - TY Alan!)

in a moment, forever
frozen in time.

Crimson colored pumice
your show of strength.
Exhaled, dust-laden air
suffocates scenery.

of mephitic gas to us, worshippers
of your awesome beauty.

in a moment, forever
frozen in time.

into darkness. A cloud
crushing all companions.

We were too lethargic
to listen. Now we rest
in judgment, protected
by a quilt of ashes.

© 2003 Lorraine M Kanter

A Quilt of Ashes

in a moment forever
frozen in time.

Crimson covered pumice
in a show of strength.
suffocating scenery.

in a moment forever
frozen in time.

into Darkness. A cloud
crushing all companions.

We were too lethargic
to listen. Now we lay
in judgment, protected
by a quilt of ashes.

© 2003 Lorraine M Kanter

Hello Cleo~

I enjoyed this "historical" piece as well as the time and thought you put into it!
The revisions are great and I am hopeful that you will leave it be.

Crimson colored pumice
your show of strength.
Exhaled, dust-laden air
suffocates scenery.
*****haunting! wave.gif  wave.gif  wave.gif  wave.gif

Happy holidays!

Lindi

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:35

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: