Play the Dance!

·······IPB·······

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest__*
post Apr 13 04, 06:25
Post #2

Dear E,

This is certainly interesting !

Can I ask first is there a reason not to split into stanzas ? Makes it easier for old grumps like me to start/change/stop !

Hope Rising

Play the Dance.
~by fire
~by storm
Hearth-fire kindled
in ashes scorned.

Play the Dance.
~by word
~by stone
Encircled fire.
Encircled sun.
Battle sired!
Battle won!

Play life's dance
~by hope
~by faith
For winter's heart
once bare as bone
trodden under
~by earth
~by stone

Played the Dance
to sing again
heart-fire kindled
~by flint
~by wind

Held to hope
among cinders cold
when none came hither
to vanquish snow.
So---beat the drum!
~without
~within

Sound the horn!
Sound the wind!
Play the Dance.
~by fire
~by storm

Cinder's hope
burns once again.
From ashes cold
Fire undying
Life renews
Phoenix rising.
Play the Dance!

Don't know if I've chosen the right breaks - or don't you want any at all ? Once you tell me, I'll happily check thru for any more nits !

It's certainly lively and, as it should be, full of hope.

Love
Alan

LadyEvergreen865
post Apr 13 04, 06:36
Post #3

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 52
Writer of: Poetry

Hi, Alan: Wrote this late last night. Just ran out of time to edit the breaks in. Had to quit before my eyes got worse. (Allergy season). It reads a lot better with verses. Thanks for zeroing in on it. :) Hope you like the rest of it. Happy reading. Elaine:wink.gif:

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 15 04, 05:16
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Elaine!  sun.gif

Are you planning any revisions or shall I critique as this one stands so far? detective.gif

Firstly, let me say that your use of the tildas throws me off a tad on the visual layout of the piece, imho.

Secondly. I like the repetition of your first line (the word 'dance' throughout): "Play the Dance." Make sure to begin the seconds lines with a capital (that's the punctuation policer in me).  vic.gif

IF we played with the layout, I could see a few ways, any or none which are completely up to you of course. For example, if we take S1:

Play the Dance.
~by fire
~by storm
Hearth-fire kindled
in ashes scorned.

Another option:

Play the Dance.
By fire
by storm.
Hearth-fire kindled * SInce you are using Hearth as a posessive - endstop storm?
in ashes scorned.

Play the Dance.
By fire...
by storm;
Hearth-flames kindled * changed repetitive use of word fire here.
in ashes scorned.

OR:
Play the Dance.

By fire,

by storm.

Open-Hearth kindled

in ashes scorned.

There are many ways to visually display this piece. Please let me know if any or none strike your fancy? I'll be back to crit the remaining stanzas soon...

GroupHug.gif
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

LadyEvergreen865
post Apr 15 04, 07:37
Post #5

Babylonian

wave.gif Hi, Cleo: Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I first wrote this poem with the idea of using the cadance to represent the sound of a drum, or 'drum dance'. Thus, the short phrases and strong meter. This is one poem that needs to be read out loud with a narrator reading the main verses and a small group answering (by fire, by storm). I just didn't know the best way to seperate the short phrases from the rest of the poem. I tried using:

Play the Dance.
(by fire, by storm)
Hearth-fire kindled
from ashes scorned.

But this didn't visually do anything for me, even though it does accomplish the idea of seperation. Wall.gif  What do you think? Any suggestions or ideas? I like your idea about changing Hearth-fire to Hearth-flame kindled.  :pharoah2

Thanks for you help. I'll check back later.
Hugs: Elaine

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 15 04, 20:13
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Elaine!

Why not use italics for the chorus? It's worked well in other pieces I've read before?

For example:
Play the Dance.
by fire...
by storm

Hearth-flame kindled
in ashes scorned.

Play the Dance.
by word...
by stone;

Encircled fire.
Encircled sun.
Battle sired!
Battle won!

Just another idea for ya to T or T....
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Apr 15 04, 20:38
Post #7

Dear Elaine,

Agree with Cleo, would go even further, italics and inset :

For example:
Play the Dance.

by fire...
           by storm

Hearth-flame kindled
in ashes scorned.

Play the Dance.

by word...
            by stone;

Encircled fire.
Encircled sun.
Battle sired!
Battle won!

Love
Alan

LadyEvergreen865
post Apr 16 04, 06:14
Post #8

Babylonian

:pharoah2 Thanks Cleo and Alan! Both suggestions work well. Now I just have to adjust my thinking and re-edit the poem. Appreciate the help.  sun.gif
Probably get to work on it Sunday. It's prom week (6 proms to be exact) and I have a heavy work load today and tomorrow. I'm a floral designer, and that means lots and lots of corsages to do. Have a great day and I'll talk to you later. Hugs: Elaine wave.gif

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post May 1 04, 15:52
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(LadyEvergreen865 @ April 16 2004, 07:14)
:pharoah2 Thanks Cleo and Alan! Both suggestions work well. Now I just have to adjust my thinking and re-edit the poem. Appreciate the help.  sun.gif
Probably get to work on it Sunday. It's prom week (6 proms to be exact) and I have a heavy work load today and tomorrow. I'm a floral designer, and that means lots and lots of corsages to do. Have a great day and I'll talk to you later. Hugs: Elaine wave.gif

wave.gif  Hi Elaine!

Glad to be of service! Your revision  :sings:  :sings:  :sings: !

I feel the beat!  :pharoah2

How did your 'prom week' turn out? Lots of corsages to make and make all the ladies and young men grow up too soon I'll bet?  :detective:

Cheers!  :cheer:
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

LadyEvergreen865
post May 6 04, 17:41
Post #10

Babylonian

wave.gif Thanks Cleo. Last prom this weekend (May 7), plus Mothers Day. Two weddings the next weekend and then I'm free from manic flower holidays until school starts in September. Whew! Perhaps I'll do more posting this summer when it's quieter. Enjoy your weekend.  :sun: Elaine

·······IPB·······

Guest_Zeus²_*
post May 6 04, 18:38
Post #11

Hi Elaine,
when I read this, it reminded me of the ancient greek theater, with the use of the chorus, to echo thoughts.

In a very early challenge by Cleo, at another site, I used actual comments to set up the intent. This was in the form of 2 singers each doing solo and then duet. See nothing wrong with informing the reader with a  helpful hint.

Once into this, a nice rhythm and pace.
Larry sings.gif

LadyEvergreen865
post May 7 04, 06:17
Post #12

Babylonian

sun.gif Thanks Larry. And you're right, I remember reading some Greek plays when I was in school. (Ancient History....in more than one way. Read.gif ) Love to read your work as well. You have a great week.  sun.gif Elaine

·······IPB·······

Siren
post May 7 04, 18:01
Post #13

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13

Hello Elaine,

I like the style in which this was written. I think you did a great job with it. It was great reading you. :)

Daniah

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

LadyEvergreen865
post May 7 04, 19:35
Post #14

Babylonian

lovie.gif Thanks Daniah! Looking forward to reading some of yours as well. Have a great week.  :sun: Elaine

·······IPB·······

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:51

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: