~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Admiration (original)

Admire the beasts in the zoo
pacing inside their cages.
They’ve swapped jungle
for acres of concrete--
exhibits behind bars.

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 2 05, 17:57
Post #2

Hi Eisa - how are you?

Brilliant to see you here again. I do hope thinks are easier now?

(I expect this might be impossible for you) but we're arranging a meeting of MMers soon in the Uk (at the moment Wiltshire / Oxfordshire looks most likely) - please look in Banter if you're interested or PM me.

Ok, your poem...

I wasn't quite sure about the perspective. It tends to suggest that the animals have a choice. However, as to the words, themselves...

You turned the "concrete jungle" cliche round really well. Excellent.

The poem is a brief punch. Many people (me included, probably) would have spent many more words saying the same thing. Well done.

The word "pacing" may be obvious after reading but as a choice for writing it works really well. I'd like to think I would have used it but I don't know - it may never have ocurred to me.

Thank you for this, Eisa.

James.

Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 2 05, 17:59
Post #3

Hi Snow

This is short sharp and with big teeth.  The question is should we admire them or feel sorry for them?  Torn from there natural invironment and dumped in a zoo for people to stare at them.

Nina

Guest_Cathy_*
post Feb 2 05, 18:59
Post #4

Very well-written!  I feel kinda sorry for them.  Not able to run free any more and people staring at them day after day.  I wonder ...is their life expectancy shorter behind bars?

Cathy arwen.gif

Ephiny
post Feb 3 05, 06:14
Post #5

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hello Eisa wave.gif

This is great..so much said and described in a few lines, and even though, I haven't been to a zoo for years, it's the constant

that I remember.

You sum up a very thought-provoking point really well here

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Feb 3 05, 09:29
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hello Eisa,

Lovely to see you here again.  This is a very interesting piece stating a very strong point of view.

They’ve swapped jungle
for acres of concrete--
exhibits behind bars.

My only suggestion would be to change L3 to

Their birthright swapped

which I think would have even more impact.

I have to admit I am in two minds about this subject now, since I have visited quite a lot of excellent Zoos, both here and on the continent where the animals do not have to pace small cages. They now have acres of grassland.  Debatable, is the fact that since they no longer have a need to hunt they live much longer lives. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Nor do they suffer illness and disease being extremely well cared for. They are no longer governed by the law of natural selection and they all live without fear of becoming prey to other animals higher up the food chain.

From a purely selfish point of view I suppose, my passion is photography and without these new and improved Zoo parks, I should probably never see half of these animals except on film, which doesn't count.

In an age when a child, asked where milk comes, from answers 'The supermarket',  I feel that childhood would be a far bleaker place without them being able to experience close contact with all God's wonderful creatures.

But hey, that's just my opinion.  Speechless.gif YOUR opinion is very strongly stressed and I applaud you for it.

Lovely to see you getting some time to yourself to write Eisa. Hope M is settling in.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Feb 8 05, 07:26
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

QUOTE(Jox @ Feb. 02 2005, 17:57)
Hi Eisa - how are you?

Brilliant to see you here again. I do hope thinks are easier now?

(I expect this might be impossible for you) but we're arranging a meeting of MMers soon in the Uk (at the moment Wiltshire / Oxfordshire looks most likely) - please look in Banter if you're interested or PM me.

Ok, your poem...

I wasn't quite sure about the perspective. It tends to suggest that the animals have a choice. However, as to the words, themselves...

You turned the "concrete jungle" cliche round really well. Excellent.

The poem is a brief punch. Many people (me included, probably) would have spent many more words saying the same thing. Well done.

The word "pacing" may be obvious after reading but as a choice for writing it works really well. I'd like to think I would have used it but I don't know - it may never have ocurred to me.

Thank you for this, Eisa.

James.

Hi James

It's good to get back for a while. Things are better for me  -- but still not as good as I'd hoped. I think there will always be problems with Mum, because of her Alzheimer's.

This is a poem I wrote years ago and have never put on a forum. I don't remember why I wrote it or if I completely agree with the sentiments, but it does stimulate thought on the subject. I have a few changes I might make. I don't think I would write so concisely these days.

I'll have a look in Banter about this meeting. Time is full at the moment, but I'll see what I can do.

Good to be around again

Snow

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Feb 8 05, 07:28
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nina @ Feb. 02 2005, 17:59)
Hi Snow

This is short sharp and with big teeth.  The question is should we admire them or feel sorry for them?  Torn from there natural invironment and dumped in a zoo for people to stare at them.

Nina

Hi Nina

Food for thought,eh?

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Feb 8 05, 07:31
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(larrysgirl5548 @ Feb. 02 2005, 18:59)
Very well-written!  I feel kinda sorry for them.  Not able to run free any more and people staring at them day after day.  I wonder ...is their life expectancy shorter behind bars?

Cathy arwen.gif

Hi Cathy

I think their lives may even be longer when they'r looked after. Some might even become extinct left in their natural environment. Difficult decision. Thanks for adding your thoughts

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Feb 8 05, 07:35
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ephiny @ Feb. 03 2005, 06:14)
Hello Eisa wave.gif

This is great..so much said and described in a few lines, and even though, I haven't been to a zoo for years, it's the constant

that I remember.

You sum up a very thought-provoking point really well here

Hi Lucie

Yes it is the constant pacing that bothers me, although I have seen some very contented looking animals too. It is a debateable subject I think. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Feb 8 05, 07:44
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cybele @ Feb. 03 2005, 09:29)

Hello Eisa,

Lovely to see you here again.  This is a very interesting piece stating a very strong point of view.

They’ve swapped jungle
for acres of concrete--
exhibits behind bars.

My only suggestion would be to change L3 to

Their birthright swapped

which I think would have even more impact.

I have to admit I am in two minds about this subject now, since I have visited quite a lot of excellent Zoos, both here and on the continent where the animals do not have to pace small cages. They now have acres of grassland.  Debatable, is the fact that since they no longer have a need to hunt they live much longer lives. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Nor do they suffer illness and disease being extremely well cared for. They are no longer governed by the law of natural selection and they all live without fear of becoming prey to other animals higher up the food chain.

From a purely selfish point of view I suppose, my passion is photography and without these new and improved Zoo parks, I should probably never see half of these animals except on film, which doesn't count.

In an age when a child, asked where milk comes, from answers 'The supermarket',  I feel that childhood would be a far bleaker place without them being able to experience close contact with all God's wonderful creatures.

But hey, that's just my opinion.  Speechless.gif YOUR opinion is very strongly stressed and I applaud you for it.

Lovely to see you getting some time to yourself to write Eisa. Hope M is settling in.

Hi Grace

Lovely to hear from you

I am also in two minds about this one. I think zoos generally better than they used to be and there are many safari parks now. However I  did visit a zoo a few years ago where I did see animals `pacing' and I think this is where this poem came from. I posted it to see what others thought. I think creatures bred in captivity certainly know no other life anyway -- and as a breeder of cornsnakes and leapard geckos I really should be defending zoos, don't you think? LOL!!

I'll email you as soon as I get a few minutes
Love Snow

Thanks for the suggetion -- I think it is a good one

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Feb 27 05, 21:07
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Everyone

I decided to fill this one out a bit and give it a new title

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Feb 28 05, 02:37
Post #13

Dear Snow,

You have developed this nicely, and it says so much more now.

I liked it so much I wrote a "mirror" poem, which I will post here when time has elapsed since my last post.

I wrote my mirror, then RE-wrote yours to match it, but hesitate to put it up cuz it amends your quite a lot, and I think that would be naughty of me.

Both mine were totally inspired by yours, and keep to the same theme.

Well done !

Love
Alan

PS Would you like me to change the title in the intro-bar ?

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 28 05, 03:43
Post #14

Hi Eisa,

I would suggest that you have two distinct poems here, sharing the same Genesis. Rather than bury the original under the new I would declare them as alternatives - variations on a theme, each entitled to appreciation / criticism in their own right.

james.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 28 05, 04:24
Post #15

Hi Eisa,

They certainly are very different, though one can see the overlaps and development, which is fascinating.

Fran

JustDaniel
post Feb 28 05, 07:28
Post #16

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6

Ah, it's so hard for me to crit free verse, precisely because there are SO many options... as you've demoonstrated in such an extensive revision. In fact, I'd never even SEEN the original... just the version in between...
Hmmm, let's see; let me move this one over to that cage... this one to the free range...

Captive Bred  (revision)

We watch wonder, wide-eyed
with fascination
the as beasts that pace
inside their cages[,]
Lush jungles were swapped
for
acres of within concrete
in exchange
for their lush jungles.

New birthrights insure
more captive creatures
won’t prowl hungrily for prey.
through hunger
No predator will stalk
to devour them,
and ripping flesh from bones.

Their unique beauty abides,
is photographed and painted
-- exhibiteds behind bars.

Just my immediate impressions, Snow!

in Light of the moment, Daniel  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Mar 4 05, 19:52
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey Alan

I'm looking forward to reading your mirror poem. It feels good to know that this has inspired you.  :sun:

Love Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Mar 4 05, 19:56
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jox @ Feb. 28 2005, 03:43)
Hi Eisa,

I would suggest that you have two distinct poems here, sharing the same Genesis. Rather than bury the original under the new I would declare them as alternatives - variations on a theme, each entitled to appreciation / criticism in their own right.

james.

Hi Jox

Yes I think you are right. I have revised poems before and ended up with a different poem, so have kept both versions to be read in their own right.

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Mar 4 05, 20:00
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Toumai @ Feb. 28 2005, 04:24)
Hi Eisa,

They certainly are very different, though one can see the overlaps and development, which is fascinating.

Fran

Hi there Fran

Yes they are different. I have a habit of starting free verse and ending up with a different poem. Jester.gif

Snow sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Mar 4 05, 20:04
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Daniel

Well you are doing a very good job of criting free verse. This has been very helpful and another revision will be coming up soon.

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:12

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: