Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Sweet Deceit

It starts with a tap, a rap at your door
then hides among breezes, just teases - no more…
shrill laughter: a quiver, I shiver to think
of spirits regaling, assailing - don’t blink!
As summer soon fades, these shades of time seize
footsteps of fright: last rite of green leaves.

It looks for a weakness, stark bleakness soon comes,
gazing through windows, it knows what becomes
of those who are frightened - enlightened it’ll be
as twilight descends: it transcends; holds the key.

O’er tombstones and markers, the darker, the night
slips into a howling - no - scowling delight.
With ghoulish intent, it torments us toward death
and nary retreats as it's far from discrete!

It hovers there beaming, screaming at your door
awaiting an invite: this night will endure
alchemies only the lonely can brew
in cauldrons of wickedness; hobgoblins’ stew.

It ends with a tap, a rap at your door -
“Trick or treat!” Sweet deceit: O nevermore!

Copyright © Lorraine M Kanter wolf.gif

Original:
As summer soon fades, through shades of time seize
will never retreat! It is far from discrete!
awaiting an invite, this night, to explore
passageways only the lonely can brew
Reason for edit: 1st revision

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Maggie
post Oct 29 08, 06:55
Post #2

Greek

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi Cleo,

And happy Halloween to you too!! I really like this one!! Gets me in the mood for the trick or treaters.

I'm definitely a novice in the realm of rhythm, but the following line lacks the pause the other lines seem to have.

"passageways only the lonely can brew"

Enjoyed!!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 30 08, 05:57
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Peggy, gnome.gif

[shadow=orange][glow=black]Happy Halloween![/glow] [/shadow]wolf.gif zombie.gif pumpkin.gif

Thanks for stopping by, glad you enjoyed this one. bat.gif

I'll take a look at that line closer later on.

Have a great witching of a day!
~Cleo goodwitch.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Oct 30 08, 06:41
Post #4

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Lori,
Very well done. I like the internal rhymes and this flows fairly smoothly.

It hovers there beaming, screaming at your door
awaiting an invite, this night, to explore or awaiting an invite, this night will endure
passageways only the lonely can brew
in cauldrons of wickedness; hobgoblins’ stew.

Passageways just doesn't strike me as being eerie enough.

I am glad you posted this as we need some Halloween themed material to get us all in the mood.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

MM Award Winner

Thoth
post Oct 30 08, 10:43
Post #5

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Happy Halloween too. dragon.gif bat.gif
Strangely it is not really celebrated in South Africa although there are usually a few parties and some fireworks.

Thanks for the Poem Lori, I liked the jaunty rhythm and internal rhyme. Metre strayed in a few places but not sufficient to stop the enjoyment. claps.gif
Hugs, Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 31 08, 10:32
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi John and Wally.

Thanks for stopping by to this haunting event! wolf.gif ghostface.gif

Yes, an easy fix would be to replace passageways with corridors? I'll think on a bit and get back to this one this weekend.

Have a spooktacular halloween! bat.gif zombie.gif
~Cleo goodwitch.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 1 08, 07:38
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks all - hoping your All Hallow's Eve was sweet! mm.gif mm.gif mm.gif

We had between 113 -123 kids in only 2 hours - WOW!!!! Thank goodness I bought 2 extra bags of candy (thinking we wouldn't open them) as last year we had 93, so I made up 100 treat bags.

ANywho - 1st revision now posted - thanks to Peggy, John, Wally for your feedback! wolf.gif

~Cleo zombie.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Nov 2 08, 11:33
Post #8

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Ooooo, this is a great one, Lori! I've enjoyed it thoroughly, even tho' we don't celebrate Halloween in Buenos Aires (we do burn straw effigies of politicians...LOL...and the local name is "Noche de Brujas", which means "Night of the Witches").

I think that with a very few tweaks you can achieve perfect flow, but it's a wonderful read just as it is, no need to change anything if not willing.

I'll be back with more time to enjoy again!

Happy Halloween weekend!

Hugs, Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 2 08, 11:40
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I feel like burning some voodoo dolls myself over here as our election is coming up in two days. LOL.gif LOL.gif

I'll mull this one over but it was for the Pandora challenge and I wasn't intending on this one to be a 'serious effort', LOL! I do hope to write something more clever as a parody, perhaps for Thanksgiving or Christmas, to "The Raven". Wish me luck!

Happy Halloweening to you too (or Witching Nights) as it were. goodwitch.gif No more spirits come knocking on our door (please)... ghostface.gif Although, last night our bedroom door creaked shut all by itself. SPOOKTACULAR! ghost.gif

Have a great Sunday!
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Nov 2 08, 11:52
Post #10

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Well, no, but you can still transform it into an excellent Halloween poem with very few tweaks. It's wonderful!

Hey, you're meant to stick pins in voodoo dolls, Lori, dunno what happens if you burn them...LOL...

Over here, if we don't burn our leaders at the stake soon (not just effigies), we'll be down shit-creak without a paddle, no joking!

Sorry about that door, Lori, how spooky! Have a calm Sunday, take a bubble bath...haha...maybe the bubbles will multiply and reach the ceiling, even slip under the door and over your best carpets!

Cheers!
Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 2 08, 19:37
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks for your confident stance, Syl! cheer.gif

Yeah, I know - the pins in the dolls but why not just burn the damn things, LOL! Oo.gif

I think we're in the same creek as you way over there in Argentina. boat.gif Will we stay afloat? Time will tell...

I never thought of that! That WOULD be a good way to wash the bedroom carpet, LOL.gif! Never took that soakung bath today, maybe next weekend, sounds liek a good idea (with my scented candles all around). cloud9.gif

Hope you have a good week!
~Lori arwen.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Nov 16 08, 18:35
Post #12

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58
Writer of: Poetry

Dear Cleo,
For me, there's too much separation from form, but offset by a strong message.
Would it be bettered had you been closer to age of yore form? Only you know!
Cheers, Ron jgdittier

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 17 08, 06:35
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Ron,

Thanks for stopping by! wave.gif Yes, this one was just for fun for Halloween. I haven't taken "The Raven" yet seriously enough to try a parody or at least use the same parameters. A great challenge for sure, with such long lines and inner rhymes throughout.

Perhaps I'll try to tackle it for a Christmas themed poem? xmaswindow.gif

Have a great day!
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Nov 18 08, 10:59
Post #14

Lori, an interesting metamorphisis from Poe's theme to your own. A great halloween piece.

It starts with a tap, a rap at your door
then hides among breezes, just teases - no more…
shrill with laughter: a quiver, I shiver to think reading this out loud My mouth wants another word in this line
of spirits regaling, assailing - don’t blink!
As summer soon fades, these shades of time seize
footsteps of fright: last rite of green leaves. This line reads like it is kind of twisted..."footsteps of fright, green leaves last rite." But that way it doesn't ryhme with 'seize above...I am not sure how to fix it...even if you want it fixed.

It looks for a weakness, stark bleakness soon comes, Use of the almost same ending as a ryhme...is there another way? 'comes, becomes'
gazing through windows, it knows what becomes
of those who are frightened - enlightened it’ll be
as twilight descends: it transcends; holds the key.

With ghoulish intent, it torments us toward death No ryhme here with last line throws the reader off rythem.

It hovers there beaming, screaming at your door Door,endure... a semi-ryhme
awaiting an invite: this night will endure
alchemies only the lonely can brew
in cauldrons of wickedness; hobgoblins’ hot stew. Again here I want another word...
It ends with a tap, a rap at your door -
“Trick or treat!” Sweet deceit: O nevermore!

Lori, just a look with my eyes, yours to use or lose.
Steve

Maggie
post Nov 18 08, 11:24
Post #15

Greek

Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi Cleo,

I had a thought to make the stanza have four end rhymes too. I think it needs four end rhymes. Just my opinion of course.

You wrote:
With ghoulish intent, it torments us toward death

Perhaps:

With ghoulish intent, it prods the deceased

Or maybe:

With ghoulish intent, it torments from beneath

Or my favorite:

With ghoulish intent, it wakes the deceased

Of course you can use or lose!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 20 08, 06:47
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Steve and Peggy, wave.gif wave.gif

Thanks for your continued suggestions on the Hallows Eve rendition! I'm short on time today but will be back this weekend to reply to your comments in more detail.

Have a great day!
~Cleo eowyn.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 23:41

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: