Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Half-light Paints A Twilight, Sonnet.
Guest_Taita_*
post Aug 7 04, 07:31
Post #1

Changed title to ....The Half-light Paints A Twilight.

Revision 2

When memories have fled and late at night
you shed your garments with familiar grace,
I'd have salacious fantasy replace
the darkness-- I would cover you in light.
And touching you, I tremble at the thought
of playing out what plays upon my mind.
But when we kiss-- those wanton scenes unwind
and fall away. Your loving draws me taut.
I stifle urgent rhythms. I betray
obsessions on the knife-edge of relief,
restraining them, I pause in disbelief
to find the sweeter ballads of delay.

Yet, when I read your eyes the thrill is such
the half-light paints a twilight that’s too much.

Revision 1

Sometimes when I forget and late at night
you shed your garments with familiar grace,
I yearn that well-worn fantasy replace
the darkness. I would cover you in light:
and touching you, I tremble at the thought
of being shown what’s playing on my mind.
Yet, when we kiss those coiled scenes unwind
addictions, on the point of sweet relief,
restraining them but feeling disbelief
at finding sweeter ballads of delay.

Yet, when I watch your face and our eyes touch
the half-light paints a Twilight that’s too much.

Original version.

you shed your garments with familiar grace
I yearn that, well-worn, fantasy replace
and touching you I tremble at the thought
Yet, when we kiss those coiled scenes unwind,

L2 nightdress replaced with garments.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Tao_*
post Aug 8 04, 17:41
Post #2

Hi Taita,

Very romantic! Staring at your wife again, the same beauty by the sea? She's a lucky woman to have one so dedicated and well versed. laugh.gif

A mangler of meter and forms, I can't write a sonnet to save my bacon so I'll stay away from a critique. I did find these phrases exceptional though:

...those coiled scenes unwind,
...sweeter ballads of delay.
...half-light paints a Twilight that’s too much.

Now, looking into her eyes by the sea, at twilight - the best of all worlds! cloud9.gif

David

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 8 04, 18:25
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Taita!

While I'm not all that versed with sonnets, I'd like to offer a few suggestions on word choices. Please feel free to take or toss these.  :oops:

A romantic you are!  :StarWars1:
~Cleo

you shed your nightdress with familiar grace

In L2, I would consider replacing 'nightdress' with something else so as not to repeat night in L1 and nightdress in L2 - perhaps, silkdress, silk gown?

and fall away. Your loving draws me taut.   *_oooohhh nice!

I'm a tad unclear on your meaning of the word 'half-light'? Is this the ultimate end perhaps?

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Taita_*
post Aug 8 04, 20:55
Post #4

Hi, David.

Yes, you've caught me staring at my wife again.  But then I'd be a dead man if I said otherwise. Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed this and showing me some of the lines you thought were good. I appreciate that so much!

Hey, Cleo.

Thanks again for stopping by. You make some good points. I'll have to think about the half-light line. When you first turn off the lights it's dark...but as your eyes get used to it you can see...especially in our house where there are a few light sources even when the bedroom light is out. So the half-light is really just that. I can see enough of my wife's face to be amazed each time by what I see. Maybe I need to introduce something about eyes becoming accustomed to the light. I've put a replacement in for nightdress. Hopes it works.

Thanks for the time & thought you both put into your replies.

Appreciatively,
Taita.:D

Back....I looked up half-light in the dictionary....

The soft, subdued light seen at dusk or dawn or in dimly lit interiors.

...It says I'm a Nomad....how does a guy become an egyptian round these parts....those huys are cool :pharoah2

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 9 04, 07:24
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Ahhh , OK, I see it now! Thanks! sun.gif

About being Egyptian - once you reach 300 posts, it shall be so! For more info on when your titles change (and those PIPS too) Click here.

laugh.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 10 04, 02:44
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22

Good morning Taita, sun.gif

Just a couple of tiny thoughts on your lovely sonnet  cloud9.gif

you shed your garments with familiar grace
I yearn that, well-worn, fantasy replace
and touching you I tremble at the thought

L2 quite beautiful!
(Suggest comma after grace)

L3 Suggest removal of all punctuation

L5  and touching you, I tremble at the thought

L7 No final comma

L13/14

would have more impact if separated from the main body of thoughts.

L14 Perfect! I wish I'd said that!  cloud9.gif

Having recently been widowed this brought back wonderful memories for me Taita, especially the wonderful half light. So romantic.

Love

Grace
farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Taita_*
post Aug 10 04, 08:50
Post #7

Hi, Cybele.

Thanks for your comments and analysis. I appreciate the time you took to share them.  I've made the alterations but left the original up for comparison. It would be really helpful if you could explain why the changes in punctuation were needed so that I won't make the same errors in the future. Thanks so much for your time.

Taita.

Cybele
post Aug 10 04, 10:48
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hello Daniel, wave.gif

Hi, Cybele.

Thanks for your comments and analysis. I appreciate the time you took to share them.  I've made the alterations but left the original up for comparison. It would be really helpful if you could explain why the changes in punctuation were needed so that I won't make the same errors in the future. Thanks so much for your time

I shall be delighted to explain.

If you read through your revision aloud now Daniel you will find that each complete thought is now smoothly expressed. Don't read it line by line but from comma to full stop etc.

As to the separation of the last two lines.

In a sonnet the first 12 lines are the story you are telling while lines 13/14 give a conclusion or summation to your thoughts. And lovely they are. cloud9.gif

Love

Grace
farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Taita_*
post Aug 10 04, 10:56
Post #9

Hi, Grace. Thanks for coming back to this and for your explanation. You've been a great help. I'll buy you one at the bar.

Thanks again,
Taita.:D

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 10 04, 17:52
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

A great improvement on an already super piece Daniel! sun.gif dance.gif

Mow - let it simmer a few weeks, will ya? :wink:

Great job!
~Cleo :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

heartsong7
post Aug 10 04, 18:34
Post #11

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 70
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Merlin

Hi Daniel...Your revision reflects the thoughtful input you've received. It's looking good. Smooth meter is mostly iambic and you have some excellent naturally flowing rhymes. My only question is about the first line"When I forget"  forget what?  detective.gif
This portrays a wonderfully romantic and tastefully sensuous scene..definately a show, not merely a tell. You've done it well.  wink.gif

Seeya,
Sue

·······IPB·······

Forgiveness is the fragrance
the violet sheds
on the heel
that has crushed it.

MM Award Winner

Guest_songbird_*
post Aug 10 04, 18:53
Post #12

Hey Taita!  First of all, I see you've had many more helpful comments than I could help to give, so I'll just say great job and offer this little bit:

.......I would cover you in light:(comma instead of : ?)
and touching you, I tremble at the thought
Yet,(remove comma and place after kiss?) when we kiss those coiled scenes unwind

Yet, when I watch your face and our eyes touch(comma?)

As others have told me, punctuation is rather personal so please disregard the above if it doesn't suit you.   oops.gif   Plus, I realize you've already had alot of comments about punctuation already!   Speechless.gif

Anyway, I really enjoyed this; great job!   lovie.gif

Cheers!
--Songbird

Guest_Taita_*
post Aug 10 04, 23:24
Post #13

Thanks Songbird.

I really appreciate the time you put into this and your suggesions might be helpful but to be honest I put things were they aren't meant to go and so choosing between your offerings & cybeles still presents a proble. The only real answer is for me to drop my pen and pick up the punctuation guide again. In the long run I think I'll be much happier to KNOW rather than guess and it will be worth the effort. thanks so much for your time and encouragement.

Taita.

Guest_Taita_*
post Aug 26 04, 11:44
Post #14

Hey...here's my latest revision. Let me know how it's shaping up.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 26 04, 20:11
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Absolutely STUNNING Taita! sun.gif

I think this is quite polished - you've made some wonderful changes in all the right places!

Cheers!
~Cleo lovie.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Taita_*
post Aug 26 04, 21:55
Post #16

Hey, Cleo. Rganks a lot for changing the title and for jumping up and down a little for me. I appreciate that.  :grinning:

Bye now upside.gif

Taita.

AMETHYST
post Aug 30 04, 00:22
Post #17

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Well, Well... Daniel--

The change in L3, '...salacious fantasy' is a key alternative. Which now really finishes this off! Wonderful rewriting and consideration in the revision process...

Hugs, Liz ...

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 20:45

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: