as emerald kisses verdant vales.

Soft perfume wafts on summer's breeze;
lay bloom of rose on cobblestone
with memories of gentle hands
enticing passions yet unknown.

Upon a garden bench for two,
amid sharp thorns and broken stems
lay bloom of rose. On cobblestone,
her spirit's crushed, past life condemns.

So now are love and lovers gone,
the frigid winter winds will moan
unending cries; and evermore
lay bloom of rose on cobblestone.

Cathy Bollhoefer
copyright Nov 2005

Cobblestone Rose ~ Quatern ~ Original

Lay bloom of rose on cobblestone,
meander down forgotten paths,
stir ripples into soothing stream
to dampen melancholic wrath.

Upon a wooden bench for two
lay wilted rose.  On cobblestone ...
her piercing thorns and broken stems,
sweet spirit crushed; she dies alone.

a memory of spring, when hands
lay bloom of rose on cobblestone ...
lit passion's blaze like firebrand.

And now are love and lovers gone.
The whipping winter winds will moan
unending cries; forevermore
lay dying rose on cobblestone.

Cathy Bollhoefer
copyright Nov2005

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Nov 13 05, 13:22
Post #2

Hi Cathy

A sad poem of the death of a rose and the death of a relationship.

I have a few thoughts.

to dampen melancholic wrath.  can wrath or anger be melancholic?

sweet spirit crushed; she dies alone.  I really like the image this verse paints in my mind

unending cries; forevermore   pathetic fallacy?l
ay dying rose, on cobblestone.

Nina

JLY
post Nov 13 05, 13:51
Post #3

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Cathy,
Very sad tale.  Your use of the word "forgotten"; is that to signify that you intentionally want to forget the past, or is it meant to be simply that the it is something that one can't remember?
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Nov 13 05, 16:47
Post #4

Hi Nina,

Thanks for dropping in to take a peek at this.   xmas.gif

A sad poem of the death of a rose and the death of a relationship.

I have a few thoughts.

to dampen melancholic wrath.  can wrath or anger be melancholic?  The wrath is brought on by melancholy thoughts. ornament.gif

sweet spirit crushed; she dies alone.  I really like the image this verse paints in my mind   Thank you!

unending cries; forevermore   pathetic fallacy?l  lol  I know!
ay dying rose, on cobblestone.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment and I will take another look
at those two spots that you've mentioned.

Thank you!
Cathy dove.gif

Guest_Cathy_*
post Nov 13 05, 16:54
Post #5

Hi John,

Nice of you to drop in!  grinning.gif

Very sad tale.  Your use of the word "forgotten"; is that to signify that you intentionally want to forget the past, or is it meant to be simply that the it is something that one can't remember?

Basically, it represents things they had done, places they had been, thoughts they had talked and dreamed about that had been avoided up to this point.  Her mind is walking the paths again. Does that help?  xmas.gif

Using a specific form I sometimes find it difficult to explain as I might in free verse but I love this form!

Thanks for your comments!
Cathy dove.gif

Guest_Toumai_*
post Nov 14 05, 17:18
Post #6

Hi Cathy,

You handle this so beautifully. It has a very melancholy, empty feel - very moving. My only pause was the melancholic wrath - seems to juxtapose two very different emotional states, though I see what you intend from your explanation to Nina.

Fran

Guest_Cathy_*
post Nov 14 05, 18:40
Post #7

Hi Fran,

You handle this so beautifully. It has a very melancholy, empty feel - very moving. My only pause was the melancholic wrath - seems to juxtapose two very different emotional states, though I see what you intend from your explanation to Nina.

I don't want to use words that mean the same emotion though, I'd be repeating that way.  I can get angry thinking about something remembered while in a melancholy mood.  I guess that is what I'm trying to depict here.  Am I strange?  lol

I'm glad you enjoyed it otherwise.  *smiles*  I'm not sure how else I could word that but I will think on it.  Thanks for leaving a comment!

Cathy
xmas.gif

Merlin
post Nov 14 05, 22:58
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 66

The quatern is another interesting form employing a line repetition.  It lends itself very well to the melancholy themes.

While the purist might shudder at changing the repeating line, I actually like making subtle changes.  It brings a bit of life to things, for me at least.  Your minor adjustments work well here.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Guest_Cathy_*
post Nov 15 05, 00:04
Post #9

Hi Merlin,

The quatern is another interesting form employing a line repetition.  It lends itself very well to the melancholy themes.

Thank you!  I thought it turned out rather well. *smiles*

While the purist might shudder at changing the repeating line, I actually like making subtle changes.  It brings a bit of life to things, for me at least.  Your minor adjustments work well here.

That's what I thought too.  It doesn't sound so 'cut and dried'.  lol  And I was never a 'purist' about anything that I know of.  I'm glad you enjoyed this!  Thanks Merlin!

Cathy
xmas.gif

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 20 06, 19:06
Post #10

An old one I finally got around to revising~

Thanks everyone!

Cathy

Eisa
post Oct 21 06, 18:36
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Oh wow Cathy! -- no nits from me. This is wonderful!

The death of a flower -- and a relationship.

meander down forgotten trails,
stir ripples into silver streams...
as emerald kisses verdant vales

I particularly like

as emerald kisses verdant vales

Absolutely great read Read.gif sun.gif

Snow cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 21 06, 18:43
Post #12

WOW Thanks Snow!! LOL

Cathy cheer.gif

JustDaniel
post Oct 21 06, 20:24
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6

Hey, Cat!

I love what you did with this; it's always hard to come back to an old piece that's grown on you and change it, but I think it's a great practice.

I don't think that I had read this one before. The only problem I have with it is the repeated line. It seems to open by telling someone to 'lay' the rose on the cobblestones, and later it lies and then will always lie there, but the use of 'lay' has it speaking later in the poem in the past tense of 'lie'.

It's a tricky word (two similar verbs, lie and lay which sometimes intersect with each other) to use, and you use it well, but the last stanza doesn't seem to fit ?

slightly confused, Daniel Speechless.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 22 06, 04:43
Post #14

Morning Daniel!

I've always disliked those words... lay, lie. I could never get the tense right. I had 'engrave red rose on cobblestone' but then that doesn't fit with stanza 2. Any ideas?? LOL

Thanks for your input~

Cat

JustDaniel
post Oct 22 06, 07:25
Post #15

Ornate Oracle

I'll think about it, Cat...

right now my mind is boggled. I'm helping Aggie judge a contest at AP, and have to make a decision between a couple of pieces. I hate doing that! ... plus Eileen has been sick all night, and my vision is blurry at the present, as I just woke up from a sleep with a dream I was at Ft. Dix, and the Koreans just took over!

sLightly boggled, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 22 06, 10:48
Post #16

Not a good dream to have! My son just enlisted in the National Guard and is doing his first weekend. He hopes to transfer to active duty Army soon but mom's hoping he doesn't! LOL

I hope Eileen is feeling better!

Cat

AMETHYST
post Oct 22 06, 16:44
Post #17

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Cathy...

You have a wonderful way with images and keeping the flow of your thoughts steady and in one direction. I admire that in this poem as well. You've made great use of the refrains, smoothly the repeat in a natural and unintrusive voice. Your revisions have shown a strong change in the meaning and this has enhanced the pleasure of the reading.

Some further thoughts to follow... Loved this poem and felt it is near polished!

Best Wishes and admiration, Liz

Cobblestone Rose ~ Quatern ~ Revision 1

A lovely title. Unique. The title itself draws an immediate image of contrast...cobblestone/roses ... what an excellent image.

I love the opening stanza and that it feels like a stroll. The tone establishes a casual walking movement, and clippings of the treasures discovered along the way. Not a word out of place. And not a word used wastefully. Good word crafting. Your use of inner rhymes and alliteration also create a very pleasurable sound when spoken aloud. The images come to life. You surely 'SHOW" here and keep from the dullness of telling,

L3 although it is just as good, perhaps a slight improvement might be to substitute 'gentle' with something less used. Something fresher, as we often see this description. Hmmmm... let's see ...
Perhaps you might want to enhance the seeding of L4's sensual implication. Maybe tempting. As I mentioned, it isn't a critical suggestion. It does work well as gentle. Just for some thought.

This stanza felt a bit rough. In L2, amid sounded awkward and sharp/thorns both felt equally stressed, and even sharp felt a more pronounced stress, to my ear.
Perhaps...

in heaps, spiked thorns and broken stems

In L3, I really think your use of punctuation is well done here to make such a change in the refrain.
L4, leaves me wondering more about the 'past life condemns.' ... wink.gif

The twist from the loveliness of the first 2 stanzas to the sadness we find in the ending stanza was unexpected and worked well to give that change up in story line.
L1, At first, I thought so now was slightly fillerish, but when taken into context that time has passed, it isn't all that fillery :)

I did want to make some further suggestions on moving away from love/lover's a little...
Perhaps...

So now, with lover's fervor gone

I suggest the word fervor to contrast with the 'frigid' winter winds in L2. The contrast might help enhance the change from warmth to wintry. wink.gif
Love the ending lines.

Cathy Bollhoefer
copyright Nov 2005

Well I hope I've left something that helps... Very good crafting Cathy... Bravo...

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 24 06, 07:01
Post #18

QUOTE (AMETHYST @ Oct 22 06, 18:44 ) [snapback]85753[/snapback]
Hi Cathy...

You have a wonderful way with images and keeping the flow of your thoughts steady and in one direction. I admire that in this poem as well. You've made great use of the refrains, smoothly the repeat in a natural and unintrusive voice. Your revisions have shown a strong change in the meaning and this has enhanced the pleasure of the reading. LOL The thoughts and direction usually aren't so steady when I first start! It's a good thing they end up that way... Meaning did change slightly but I thought it helped to enhance the image I was trying to create. Thanks!

Some further thoughts to follow... Loved this poem and felt it is near polished!

Best Wishes and admiration, Liz

Cobblestone Rose ~ Quatern ~ Revision 1

A lovely title. Unique. The title itself draws an immediate image of contrast...cobblestone/roses ... what an excellent image. For once, I like the title too! *smiles* I'm not sure how I even came up with it. If I remember right, this was a case where the title came before the poem!

I love the opening stanza and that it feels like a stroll. The tone establishes a casual walking movement, and clippings of the treasures discovered along the way. Not a word out of place. And not a word used wastefully. Good word crafting. Your use of inner rhymes and alliteration also create a very pleasurable sound when spoken aloud. The images come to life. You surely 'SHOW" here and keep from the dullness of telling, Thank you!

L3 although it is just as good, perhaps a slight improvement might be to substitute 'gentle' with something less used. Something fresher, as we often see this description. Hmmmm... let's see ...
Perhaps you might want to enhance the seeding of L4's sensual implication. Maybe tempting. As I mentioned, it isn't a critical suggestion. It does work well as gentle. Just for some thought.
This is a very good suggestion and I've been going through a lot of words for possibilities. Thanks Liz!

This stanza felt a bit rough. In L2, amid sounded awkward and sharp/thorns both felt equally stressed, and even sharp felt a more pronounced stress, to my ear.
Perhaps...

in heaps, spiked thorns and broken stems

I am thinking about this. I'm not sure it works in conjunction with line 3 and what I'm trying to convey. It has given me some ideas so we'll see what happens. Thanks!

In L3, I really think your use of punctuation is well done here to make such a change in the refrain.
L4, leaves me wondering more about the 'past life condemns.' ... wink.gif
That could be a whole other story! LOL

The twist from the loveliness of the first 2 stanzas to the sadness we find in the ending stanza was unexpected and worked well to give that change up in story line.
L1, At first, I thought so now was slightly fillerish, but when taken into context that time has passed, it isn't all that fillery :) There is probably a better way of wording it if I think about it a while. *smiles*

I did want to make some further suggestions on moving away from love/lover's a little...
Perhaps... I know it's a slightly cliche idea...

So now, with lover's fervor gone

I suggest the word fervor to contrast with the 'frigid' winter winds in L2. The contrast might help enhance the change from warmth to wintry. wink.gif
Love the ending lines. Hmmm... I see what you're saying here and I will give it some further thought. I appreciate you dropping in and offering your thoughts. This one is kinda special to me and I want it just right. Your ideas will help. Thanks Liz~

Cathy

Cathy Bollhoefer
copyright Nov 2005

Well I hope I've left something that helps... Very good crafting Cathy... Bravo... You always do! LOL And thanks!

Hugs, Liz

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 29 06, 16:47
Post #19

Another revision posted~

Thanks everyone!

JustDaniel
post Oct 29 06, 17:08
Post #20

Ornate Oracle

just a suggestion:

So now are springtime petals gone,

the and frigid winter winds will moan

unending cries; we may no more and nevermore

[ dual meaning of 'can't any more (seasonally)' and 'may not ever' ]

sLightly wilted, Daniel Idea.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 15:18

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: