Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Happy St David's Day!
Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 1 06, 07:24
Post #1

Bore da,

In the Christian Calendar it is Ash Wednesday. But, also...

It is 1st March and
Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant (St. David's Day).

So I wish to wish everyone on MM a very happy Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant / St David's Day and I hope you are happy and healthy (or recovering).

Due to the snowy weather, I'm having to wear an artificial daffodil - too few available here.

Explanation Link

Take care all,

James.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Mar 1 06, 07:30
Post #2

Hi J

Happy St David's day to everyone with Welsh connections.

>J>Due to the snowy weather, I'm having to wear an artificial daffodil - too few available here.

You could have worn a leek instead, plenty of those in Tescos.  :lol:

Nina

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 1 06, 09:24
Post #3

Hi Jox,

And a happy St. Davids to you in wearin' o' the daffodil.

From your fine reference I note the flag of St. David is black and yellow.  Close to my Purdue University colors of black and gold. I think they wanted gold over yellow because in sports they have a golden girl, who would sound silly as "yellow girl."  The football uniforms look black and yellow to me.  Maybe it is American gold, which has a natural American tarnish.

Don

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 1 06, 11:04
Post #4

Hi Don,

Thank you for your comments about your alma martyr and greetings.

I loved this:

>D> Maybe it is American gold, which has a natural American tarnish

ROFL! Brilliant!

Cheers, Don.

J.

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 1 06, 12:11
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi James et al.  :bunny:

I wish you and everyone a Happy St. David's Day as well as recognition for Ash Wednesday.

You've also reminded me now that it's March, I've added three emoticons to our clickable lists (irish, easteregg and bunny).

Happy days are smiling!  :irish:

Cheers!
~Cleo  :gardener:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 1 06, 12:51
Post #6

Hi Nina,

>N> Happy St David's day to everyone with Welsh connections.

Thank you - and, of course, that includes you - a little bird (the C4) - tells me that Your Dad was Welsh Hurdling Champion one year!

>J>Due to the snowy weather, I'm having to wear an artificial daffodil - too few available here.
>F> You could have worn a leek instead, plenty of those in Tescos.  

I think taking a leek in Tesco might be frowned on! :)

P.S. Tesco is the No1 UK supermarket group.

J.

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 1 06, 12:55
Post #7

Hi Lori,

>L> I wish you and everyone a Happy St. David's Day as well as recognition for Ash Wednesday.

Thank you. :)

>L> You've also reminded me now that it's March, I've added three emoticons to our clickable lists (irish, easteregg and bunny).

You just need a Welsh now!

>F> Happy days are smiling!

Well St Patrick's Day is soon, too.

Patron Saints of the UK:

Wales - St. David
England - St. George
Scotland - St. Andrew
N.Ireland - St. Patrick (who is the patron saint of the whole of the isle of Ireland - which is Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic).

What are the other Patron Saints? Do other countries have them?

The USA, for example?

Cheers, J.

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 1 06, 13:10
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi J.  :wave:

You just need a Welsh now!

No worries - if you can find an image small enough, I'll make an emoticon for you (like the HAL9000 one).

Well St Patrick's Day is soon, too.  :irish:
Patron Saints of the UK:

Wales - St. David
England - St. George
Scotland - St. Andrew
N.Ireland - St. Patrick (who is the patron saint of the whole of the isle of Ireland - which is Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic).

The USA, for example?

Yes -a nd so it will be here on the 17th.  :wolf:

I'm not Catholic so I can't really think on this one - maybe to Google? In the USA, I don't believe there is one as part of our system is a separation of church and state.  :aragorn:  :galadriel:  :legolas:

This would make an interesting discussion I'm sure....

Cheers!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 1 06, 14:56
Post #9

Hi Lori,

Thanks for your reply.

>J> You just need a Welsh now!
>L> No worries - if you can find an image small enough, I'll make an emoticon for you (like the HAL9000 one).

Thanks for the offer - not sure I know of anything out-of-copyright - but I'll think on't.

"Well St Patrick's Day is soon, too.  
Patron Saints of the UK:
Wales - St. David
England - St. George
Scotland - St. Andrew
The USA, for example?"

>L> Yes -and so it will be here on the 17th.

St Patrick's Day - amazingly, it is a bigger celebration in the USA than in Great Britain.

>L> I'm not Catholic so I can't really think on this one - maybe to Google? In the USA, I don't believe there is one as part of our system is a separation of church and state.

Ah! The UK is not a Roman Catholic country, either. The established church in England is The Church of England. But, yes, of course, the USA has that seprartion in its consititution - which is very very strange really because it is a far more religious country than the UK. Odd World!

>L> This would make an interesting discussion I'm sure....

Indeed. I will look for a Google link or Wiki.

Thanks! J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Mar 1 06, 15:12
Post #10

Hi J

>J>Thank you - and, of course, that includes you - a little bird (the C4) - tells me that Your Dad was Welsh Hurdling Champion one year!

LOL, he was only Welsh hurdling champion in 1952 because he frightened off all the opposition.  

For those puzzling about James' comments.  My dad was on tv today in a words and numbers quiz programme called Countdown on Channel 4 and he recounted the story of how he was the only one to enter the hurdling race and so won by default.

>F> You could have worn a leek instead, plenty of those in Tescos.  

I think taking a leek in Tesco might be frowned on! :)

LOL

well, I've done a few things which might be frowned upon in supermarkets such as breastfeed my daughter but I don't think I'd dare take a leek.

Nina

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Mar 1 06, 17:06
Post #11

Bore da, James, and to all the Welsh on line

Of course leeks are in order in Wales - it's always raining there ...

Hugs to y'all

Fran  :bunny: (a Welsh rabbit ... or did I spell it wrong?)

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 2 06, 06:40
Post #12

Hi Fran,

Thanks!

Yes, Wales, like Ireland, is a very green land with all the rain.

Like the Cymru bunny.

In Caerdydd, I think they are called "Welsh rare-bits!"

Bore da!

J.

Ephiny
post Mar 4 06, 17:43
Post #13

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41

Hello everyone wave.gif

Strangely enough, I think St Patrick's Day celebrations are probably more fun outside of Ireland than in it!!!!!!!

Happy (belated) St David's Day to you James!!  Any everyone!!  I'm afraid I'm short of daffodils due to the weather..or else I'd send you a supply!!!

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 4 06, 18:14
Post #14

QUOTE (Ephiny @ Mar. 04 2006, 17:43)
Hello everyone wave.gif

Strangely enough, I think St Patrick's Day celebrations are probably more fun outside of Ireland than in it!!!!!!!

Hi,

Are you thinking more fun, like in America, where we have a dark green hangover from drinking light green beer till we turn green?

Don

Ephiny
post Mar 4 06, 18:19
Post #15

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41

Exactly, that sounds like more fun!!!!   Our beers (and hangovers!!) are really not that colourful at all!!!!

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 5 06, 05:40
Post #16

Hi Lucie,

Good to hear from you - how are you? (And Stephen?).

Thanks for the good St David's Day [quote]wishes!

Yes I am certain-sure that Americia celebrates St Patrick's Day more than Ireland does. One sometimes thinks St P is the US's patron saint!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:06

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: