Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MM in the UK - Meeting 2006, Saturday 22nd April (New Definite date)
Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 17 06, 04:30
Post #41

Fran,

I don't know but I suspect Reading has a higher incidence of stabbings than London. On the Oxford Road there (near where I worked) there were incidents reported almost every night on the tv news. Also that recent horriffic incident of the double rape of two schoolgirls, the stabbing-murder of one and the shooting attempted murder of another, took place in a park exactly opposite where I taught. I don't think of reading as the safest of places.

J.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Peterpan
post Feb 17 06, 06:06
Post #42

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 127
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Jox

James, you know I see SKY news daily, and I saw the coverage on the policewoman.

I think I should not tell you how we live here: we have gates on our doors, alarms, panic buttons, electric fences and a 24 hour guard patrolling the street of 10 houses. All the criminals have guns! Many, I have heard, are on drugs and are not shy to use the guns. My neighbour was a victim of one of the drugged men and she luckily got away. She lost her mothers ring, but, came away with her life. We, then put the guard in place. When on drugs the criminals are not scared to fire the gun. Brigitta can cell phone the 24 hour guard to meet her at the gate when she arrives home at night. We had years of shocking hijackings here. Things seem better. To be honest I dont see all the security anymore. One shamefully, gets used to the visibility of it. I am still vigilant tho.

On the brighter side. We had our Budget reading on Wednesday and we have had 10 years of democracy...things are MUCH better. This is an exciting country to live in at the moment. The progress is visible even to us who supposedly see it everyday. Aids and crime need attention. But, I think there was so much on their plates they did not know where to start. The fact that there is progress is heartening.

Thanks for the chat.

PP

:)

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 17 06, 07:44
Post #43

I think it's a shocking indictment of the world we live in today that anyone needs to live, locked behind high gates, with 24 hour security patrolling outside and that it has become so commonplace you don't even notice anymore.  The same is true with CCTV everywhere - it has become an accepted part of our lives.

How far we have come in 50 years.  Then people didn't worry about locking doors.  Nowadays you can't trust anyone and we live our lives in fear.  Fear of being mugged, injured and killed. I resent that after a night out, I can't walk home without being very aware and safety conscious.

>J>I simply cannot understand it when I see ordinary US citizens - and even youngsters - handling guns - seems the recipe for trouble which it is.

Absolutely, a crazy situation.  The laws should be much stricter.  Youngsters can too easily get hold of guns.  You end up with situations like in Bob Geldof's song "I don't like Mondays" where a young girl got hold of a gun and just started shooting at her school because she didn't like Mondays.

Something drastic needs to be done about the weapons culture, drugs and gang warfare.

Nina

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 28 06, 06:13
Post #44

Hi all,

To suit me (thank you Nina, Fran and Grace) the date of the next meeting of MM in the UK has been moved forward precisely one week to:

Saturday 22nd, April 2006.

Given that no one else was able to meet on the following Saturday, we hope the new date will mean that other members of MM are now able to join us. Please let us know ASAP so we can consult you about the venue (to be decided very soon). Any MM member (including those joining from P9-11), from anywhere in the World, is very welcome - so long as you can meet us in the English midlands on that date.

Best wishes, James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 28 06, 06:35
Post #45

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

This sounds like a good time - wish we could be there! gromit.gif

This might also be a good day to do our forum board conversion as we will need to shut the forums down for 1/2 or full day or so.

Keep us posted and I'll do the same.

Cheers!
Lori Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 28 06, 09:24
Post #46

Hi Lori,

Thanks... we wish you could be here, too. One day, maybe...

Thanks re:board change - if that suits you and Peter that would be great.

Cheers, J.

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Apr 6 06, 15:33
Post #47

Hey I will be free in april and May but unfortunately I have no ready cash to pay for plane fare nor is my passport up to date....I have reletives to stay with in cambbridge,,, but i could find most places with a map and directions... sure wish I could join you all...best of meetings to you.
Steve

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 7 06, 00:13
Post #48

Hi Steve

It would have been lovely to see you.  You'll have to sort out your passport then maybe you could join us for the next meet-up.  We hold them approximately every six months.

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 8 06, 11:43
Post #49

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Nina, James, Fran, Grace....

Would you like me to send out a group PM to our members for you next week?

If so, just shoot me a PM with what wording you'd like and say the word.... Idea.gif

Lori cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 8 06, 12:11
Post #50

Hi Lori

Yes, you could send out a PM to our members.

I'd suggest saying something like.

The next MM in the UK meeting will take place on Saturday 22 April in a pub in the Reading/Oxford area from 12 noon.  It would be lovely if you could join us.  Please let me (Nina) know if you are able to make it on that date and I will give you details of the exact location.

Before you send it Lori, does anyone want to change or amend what I've written?

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 8 06, 12:25
Post #51

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I'll plan to send it next week - Friday or Saturday so just let me know if you have any changes to make.

thanks.gif Nina.

hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Apr 8 06, 12:36
Post #52

Thanks Lori / Nina.

No changes - looks fine to me :)

Thanks,

J.

Cybele
post Apr 9 06, 10:19
Post #53

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22

Hi Nina, hsdance.gif

Have we chosen a meeting place yet?  No hurry, mind but I thought I might have missed it!  :speechless:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 9 06, 10:22
Post #54

Hi Grace

It's ok, you haven't missed it.  We haven't chosen the exact location as yet.

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 16 06, 11:49
Post #55

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

PM sent today to membership

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 16 06, 12:18
Post #56

thanks Lori

:)

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Apr 16 06, 12:22
Post #57

Looking forward to it  :cheer:  :sings:  :champagne:

Fran

Guest_poeticpiers_*
post Apr 16 06, 14:09
Post #58

A little short notice for us as we getting rather old to make snap decisions and journeys but itseems from you notice that these meets take place regularly We would like to meet up with fellow poets  ivor and Irene

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 16 06, 14:50
Post #59

Hi Ivor

I'm sorry that it is too short notice for you, we would have loved to meet you and Irene.  

We meet approximately every six months so perhaps next time.  

Keep an eye out for this thread popping up as this is where we discuss when and where.

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Apr 17 06, 02:56
Post #60

Hi Ivor

Maybe next time?

Fran

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:30

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: