Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi all,

Based on the success of the Robert Frost challenges here in Karnak, I'll throw a new (old) poet into the mix. chef.gif This one is a bit longer with nine quatrains. writersblock.gif

Taking Longfellow's Excelsior poem below, create your own using the same end words of each line. ONE REQUIREMENT - REPLACE the word "Excelsior" with something else of your choosing and it should also be your title.

Good luck!
~Cleo

Excelsior

The shades of night were falling fast,
As through an Alpine village passed
A youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,
A banner with the strange device,
Excelsior!

His brow was sad; his eye beneath,
Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,
And like a silver clarion rung
The accents of that unknown tongue,
Excelsior!

In happy homes he saw the light
Of household fires gleam warm and bright;
Above, the spectral glaciers shone,
And from his lips escaped a groan,
Excelsior!

"Try not the Pass!" the old man said:
"Dark lowers the tempest overhead,
The roaring torrent is deep and wide!
And loud that clarion voice replied,
Excelsior!

"Oh stay," the maiden said, "and rest
Thy weary head upon this breast!"
A tear stood in his bright blue eye,
But still he answered, with a sigh,
Excelsior!

"Beware the pine-tree's withered branch!
Beware the awful avalanche!"
This was the peasant's last Good-night,
A voice replied, far up the height,
Excelsior!

At break of day, as heavenward
The pious monks of Saint Bernard
Uttered the oft-repeated prayer,
A voice cried through the startled air,
Excelsior!

A traveller, by the faithful hound,
Half-buried in the snow was found,
Still grasping in his hand of ice
That banner with the strange device,
Excelsior!

There in the twilight cold and gray,
Lifeless, but beautiful, he lay,
And from the sky, serene and far,
A voice fell, like a falling star,
Excelsior!

Copyright © Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Cleo_Serapis   Poetic Challenge using Longfellow's "Excelsior"   Feb 27 10, 07:54
- - Larry   Farewell Life’s shadow faded much too fast to see...   Feb 28 10, 10:34
- - Larry   HELLO, hello, ello, lo, o. Since no one else seem...   Mar 2 10, 14:56
- - Larry   Is there anybody out there? Are nine quatrains to...   Mar 7 10, 23:29
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hey Larry - WOW! You are a writing machine...   Mar 8 10, 06:41
- - Larry   Hi Lori, Finally, some one came to poor Karnak...   Mar 9 10, 18:24
- - Sekhmet   Today is the opening day of one of the greatest do...   Mar 11 10, 17:07
- - Sekhmet   Yes! There is still a little life life at Kar...   Mar 12 10, 02:23
- - Larry   Hi Leo, Thanks for the nomination. Too bad that ...   Mar 15 10, 08:59
- - Larry   Ta-Daa! An answer to the challenge in SQ form...   Mar 17 10, 14:09
- - ohsteve   Larry!!! Good lord man, I've just ...   Mar 17 10, 20:36
- - Larry   Hi Steve, I enjoy a good challenge and since Long...   Mar 18 10, 07:46
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Leo, Welcome to the FUN! I enjoyed your ...   Mar 26 10, 13:50
- - Cleo_Serapis   Larry, Larry, Larry! WOW - I'm very impre...   Mar 26 10, 13:55
- - Sekhmet   Hello Cleo! Thanks for finding time to look at...   Mar 27 10, 04:22
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Leo, Ah, the dreaded times ten words; I say th...   Mar 28 10, 09:18
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Larry, You have inspired my muse (first stanza...   Apr 22 10, 09:40
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Larry et al, I'm back with a few more sta...   Jun 11 10, 11:16
- - Cleo_Serapis   Slight change to the refrain L5 and added stanza/....   Jun 14 10, 10:33
- - Alan   Kentucky Fried ! The shades of night were fal...   May 2 12, 17:34
- - Larry   Hi Alan, Glad you enjoyed the read and hopefully,...   May 4 12, 15:34
- - Alan   Dear Larry, Yes, I enjoyed many of the preceding ...   May 6 12, 03:10
- - Larry   Hi Alan, There is more than a "kernal" ...   May 6 12, 08:26
- - Alan   Dear Larry, Here : DEATH TO THE LITTERATI Munch...   May 6 12, 10:34
- - JustDaniel   fried chicken is to be eaten without fork   Jul 18 14, 14:29
- - Larry   Thought I'd restart the "Excelsior" ...   Aug 8 14, 13:36

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 00:12

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: