post Mar 15 07, 19:41
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Mam's Best Broach (revision -- 10/04/07)

Dragonfly – your topaz dazzles
like a yellow winged darter
hovering over reminiscence.
Camouflaged in amethyst
you settle on her plum jacket,
wings recalling fairies from
her bed-time tales; they frolic
amongst lavender and marigolds,
dancing in my dreams.

L3 - changed memories for reminiscence (14/04/07)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mam’s Best Broach

like a yellow winged darter,
flitting through my memories.
Merging with amethyst, you settle,
camouflaged against her plumb jacket.
Your wings recall the fairies
from the tales she told, frolicking
amongst lavender and marigolds;
frequently, they danced into my dreams.

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Kathy_*
post Mar 15 07, 21:00
Post #2

I enjoy the colours here. I see the dragonfly flit and settle on her jacket, then disappear as it merges with the coloour there, just as a live one does. I like the plump jacket; she is there, inside it. Later, there's a hint that she's gone, and that the brooch triggers memories of her when you look at it.
But some of the words you chose have a static feel to them, taking away the movement and the emotional impact of the present moment with which you begin. 'Frequently,' for instance. It tells me rather than lets me feel it. eg

they dance into my dreams.

Then something of what you feel.

Hope that's helpful.

AMETHYST
post Mar 16 07, 23:44
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Oh Snow,

You Mom is looking down and so proud of you and your poetic talents. This is beautiful. As Kathy mentions, your crisp details bring the dragonfly to life for the reader, the vivid images, are clear enough to close my eyes and see it all, feel it all, and smell the scents. Lovely. Such images like, 'yellow winged darter,' I especially loved the line 'Your wings recall the fairies' as if the fluttering of their wings, invite the narrator into an enchanted world, which to me - would be just as amazing as stepping back into our childhoods, and savoring those moments with our mothers.

The only real nit I had was also as Kathy mentions, frequently just sort of sticks out like a sore thumb and everything else is so blended, the sounds are soft against one another, the images lead into each other, the inner rhymes are soft and unintrusive (not overly done) and that final line, sort of stumbles my read. I would suggest omitting frequently, because I really don't see the need to establish a 'sometimes but not all the time' reference.

I also wanted to say BRAVO! I noticed you've ventured out from Iambic and how done quite well - pharoah2.gif

Hugs, Liz This is truly beautiful!

Mam’s Best Broach

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_kerri_*
post Mar 17 07, 04:51
Post #4

This poem is moving and I am captured by the
the use of color and the way it invokes memory.

I would maybe tighten the wonderful images a bit.

merging amethyst and memories,
you settle.
Camouflaged against her plumb jacket,
Your wings recall fairies
of tales she told, frolick

A wonderful portrait of this loved woman.

take care,

kerri

Eisa
post Mar 18 07, 20:38
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kathy @ Mar 16 07, 02:00 ) [snapback]92873[/snapback]
I enjoy the colours here. I see the dragonfly flit and settle on her jacket, then disappear as it merges with the coloour there, just as a live one does. I like the plump jacket; she is there, inside it. Later, there's a hint that she's gone, and that the brooch triggers memories of her when you look at it.
But some of the words you chose have a static feel to them, taking away the movement and the emotional impact of the present moment with which you begin. 'Frequently,' for instance. It tells me rather than lets me feel it. eg

Then something of what you feel.

Hope that's helpful.

Yes Kathy ... that's very helpful. 'frequently does stick out like a sore thumb somehow. I'll get tid of that now and look at this again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Mar 18 07, 20:44
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (AMETHYST @ Mar 17 07, 04:44 ) [snapback]92924[/snapback]
Oh Snow,

You Mom is looking down and so proud of you and your poetic talents. This is beautiful. As Kathy mentions, your crisp details bring the dragonfly to life for the reader, the vivid images, are clear enough to close my eyes and see it all, feel it all, and smell the scents. Lovely. Such images like, 'yellow winged darter,' I especially loved the line 'Your wings recall the fairies' as if the fluttering of their wings, invite the narrator into an enchanted world, which to me - would be just as amazing as stepping back into our childhoods, and savoring those moments with our mothers.

The only real nit I had was also as Kathy mentions, frequently just sort of sticks out like a sore thumb and everything else is so blended, the sounds are soft against one another, the images lead into each other, the inner rhymes are soft and unintrusive (not overly done) and that final line, sort of stumbles my read. I would suggest omitting frequently, because I really don't see the need to establish a 'sometimes but not all the time' reference.

I also wanted to say BRAVO! I noticed you've ventured out from Iambic and how done quite well - pharoah2.gif

Hugs, Liz This is truly beautiful!

Thanks Liz -- you are right about that last line, I'm off to delete frequently now.

I think there will be a lot of poems about my mother coming up. All those thoughts and feeling are coming out at last. JackBox.gif

Hugs Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Mar 18 07, 20:46
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (kerri @ Mar 17 07, 09:51 ) [snapback]92925[/snapback]
This poem is moving and I am captured by the
the use of color and the way it invokes memory.

I would maybe tighten the wonderful images a bit.

merging amethyst and memories,
you settle.
Camouflaged against her plumb jacket,
Your wings recall fairies
of tales she told, frolick

A wonderful portrait of this loved woman.

take care,

kerri

Hi kerri

Thanks for your thoughts -- I'm not always good at tightening up, so will keep your ideas close for revision.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 10 07, 07:26
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks for your thoughts everyone -- revision coming up.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Apr 10 07, 21:19
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Snow,

I have just read and reread and even reread after that (aloud) to hear the beautiful sounds of this poem The revision is polished perfectly and I especially liked the weeding out of unnecessary words to sharpen the images (such as in L4, the image of amethyst contrasted against the plumb jacket - Just loved this poem, it is filled with love, and scenery I can taste with my eyes and heart.

Wonderful!
Hugs, Liz

Mam's Best Broach (revision -- 10/04/07)

like a yellow winged darter
hovering over memories.
Camouflaged in amethyst
you settle on her plumb jacket,
wings recalling fairies from
her bed-time tales; they frolic
amongst lavender and marigolds,
dancing in my dreams.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Orion
post Apr 12 07, 08:29
Post #10

Egyptian

Member No.: 37

Loved this poem! The heartfelt radiance abounds line by line ~ overflowing with love for and about someone dear. What a treat to read and bump into such expression.

Jan

·······IPB·······

Eisa
post Apr 12 07, 16:19
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (AMETHYST @ Apr 11 07, 03:19 ) [snapback]94088[/snapback]
Hi Snow,

I have just read and reread and even reread after that (aloud) to hear the beautiful sounds of this poem The revision is polished perfectly and I especially liked the weeding out of unnecessary words to sharpen the images (such as in L4, the image of amethyst contrasted against the plumb jacket - Just loved this poem, it is filled with love, and scenery I can taste with my eyes and heart.

Wonderful!
Hugs, Liz

Hi Liz -- I thought you would like this one. Thanks! butterfly1.gif

Hugs Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 12 07, 16:22
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Orion @ Apr 12 07, 14:29 ) [snapback]94136[/snapback]
Loved this poem! The heartfelt radiance abounds line by line ~ overflowing with love for and about someone dear. What a treat to read and bump into such expression.

Jan

Thanks Jan -- writing this has brought back so many memories that I love. butterfly1.gif I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_kerri_*
post Apr 13 07, 18:54
Post #13

I love this revision of yours, snow.

You have perfected this moving poem.

take care,

kerri

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 14 07, 07:57
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Snow. dragonfly.gif

I think your revision is a wonderful improvement on an already beautiful poem. claps.gif

I've just one suggestion to throw out there for you.

Best of luck in the polling - this one already shines! sun.gif

~Cleo hersheyskiss.gif

hovering over memories:
I suggest a change from 'memories' to 'reminiscence' because it’s the ‘act’ of recalling those memories so I think this word might fit a tad better but totally your choice as always to use or lose.

Read.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 14 07, 14:06
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (kerri @ Apr 14 07, 00:54 ) [snapback]94190[/snapback]
I love this revision of yours, snow.

You have perfected this moving poem.

take care,

kerri

Thank you Kerri cloud9.gif

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 14 07, 14:09
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Apr 14 07, 13:57 ) [snapback]94209[/snapback]
Hi Snow. dragonfly.gif

I think your revision is a wonderful improvement on an already beautiful poem. claps.gif

I've just one suggestion to throw out there for you.

Best of luck in the polling - this one already shines! sun.gif

~Cleo hersheyskiss.gif

hovering over memories:
I suggest a change from 'memories' to 'reminiscence' because it’s the ‘act’ of recalling those memories so I think this word might fit a tad better but totally your choice as always to use or lose.

Read.gif

Thanks Lori

Yes -- I like reminiscence and it's not so cliche as memories. pharoah2.gif

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 14 07, 16:25
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Whippee!

Sweet one Snow! cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Apr 29 07, 08:04
Post #18

You're going to IBPC!

Congratulations Snow!

Oh now darn it! I was going to use a smilie but it won't let me pull it up! LOL

Cathy

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 29 07, 08:07
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Congrats Snow! hsdance.gif

Psst Cathy - sometimes the window pops behind as a separate window....

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 29 07, 15:20
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Oh Wow Cathy and Lori -- this is such an honour. Thank you!

Hugs Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 16:16

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: