to the whirling lure.

Beyond the fence, tense
                          with breath bated
                          I waited.

Arrow straight to the gate
                          she swooped

Click!

She was mine.

All rights reserved by Grace Galton as an unpublished work.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 17 05, 11:08
Post #2

Hi Grace

I'm not sure which is more impressive - the photo or the poem.  You have used internal rhyme very well and I love the punch line.

I know Warwick castle very well as my parents don't live far from it and have seen the wonderful  displays they put on, though I didn't get a photo of a hawk

Nina

Guest_Cathy_*
post Feb 17 05, 12:25
Post #3

How long did you have to wait to click this impressive photo?  It's a beauty!  And so is the poem!  It seems you have a special feel for photography to get a pic like that.

Cathy~ galadriel.gif

Guest_Don_*
post Feb 17 05, 14:04
Post #4

Refreshing as the action is rapid with unexpected ending.

What was your whirling lure?

Don

Guest__*
post Feb 17 05, 18:44
Post #5

Dear Grace,

Funny, I completely missed the "click" the first time through, so "she is mine" seemed very odd.

It is alright tho, I got it evetually.

Very good.

I had half a mind to suggest it should all be in present tense, but the other half said no.

Love
Alan

Cybele
post Feb 18 05, 03:48
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Good morning Nina, wave.gif

I'm not sure which is more impressive - the photo or the poem.  You have used internal rhyme very well and I love the punch line.

Thank you Nina. The reason for the brevity of this piece, was the swiftness with which the incident happened. This beautiful Harris Hawk dived out of the trees towards the lure, skimmed the ground and circled back to the gate immediately in front of me as you can see. cloud9.gif

I know Warwick castle very well as my parents don't live far from it and have seen the wonderful  displays they put on, though I didn't get a photo of a hawk.

This wasn't at the Castle Nina, although it was probably a display performed by the same falconry. We saw them at their base just behind Shakespeare's mother's house.
glitter.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Feb 18 05, 03:56
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

Hello Cathy,  sun.gif

How long did you have to wait to click this impressive photo?  It's a beauty!  And so is the poem!  It seems you have a special feel for photography to get a pic like that.

Thank you for your comment Cathy. cheer.gif

We were watching the display behind a fence Nina. The hawk dived the first time and came to settle on the fence. She repeated that action, so I poitioned myself immediately in front of the spot where she had landed. She dived again and returned to the fence. I was so excited it is a wonder I didn't get camera shake!  :speechless: As you can see I could almost have reached out and touched her.

My passion is photography ~ especially photographing birds of prey. I have very many pictures of hawks but this was the first of one with her wings outspread. I was over the moon! cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Feb 18 05, 04:17
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Good morning Don,

Thank you very much for reading and commenting.

Refreshing as the action is rapid with unexpected ending.

What was your whirling lure?

You will see from my reply to Nina that this was one of those very brief moments in time, so I thought the poem should reflect this fact.

The falconer (for the purposes of display) uses a lure Don. A piece of rope let out to about 6 feet. At the end of the rope is a metal lure to which is attached bird feathers to simulate a flying bird when it is swung in circles above his head. (I could never understand how that would fool a bird with such excellent sight,) till I realised that, the bird was trained to actually catch the lure. If he did, he flew to the falconer's glove and was rewarded with a tiny piece of meat.

In displays, the bird will merely fly to the lure. The falconer will then jerk it away at the last moment to prevent the bird catching it.The bird will then circle back to its perch and try again. They seem to relish the exercise as much as we love the display. In this manner they could get the falcon, hawk, eagle, owl or kite to come to the lure four or five times before being rewarded.

These masters of flight dive to within inches of the ground,and to my eyes, are the most beautiful sight in the world.  cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Feb 18 05, 18:37
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Good Sir Knight  knight.gif

Sorry Alan, I missed this earlier. (Trying to do too many things at once.  Speechless.gif  )

Funny, I completely missed the "click" the first time through, so "she is mine" seemed very odd.

It is alright tho, I got it evetually.

Well, I'm glad you got it Alan.  cheer.gif

Very good.

Thank you kindly.

I had half a mind to suggest it should all be in present tense, but the other half said no.

Thank you Maria. LOL.gif  I had considered that Alan, but since this is a postcard, I would be writing about something that has already happened wouldn't I?

Love

Alan

Thank you for your comments my friend. :block:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Feb 18 05, 20:10
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Well, this duck just poked 'is beak in, an' all 'e c'd do is ghhawk!

I wish my wings could make me soar; they just make me sore.

You've got a couple o' beauts there, Grace!

bein' sure to keep my eyes sLightly up ahead, Daniel cool.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Feb 18 05, 20:11
Post #11

... clever clogs ....

Guest_jayjay_*
post Feb 19 05, 03:40
Post #12

I meant to come along earlier and join the list of admirers for this beautiful little postcard, Grace.  The photo is mightily impressive and the words tell the tale grace-fully and well.
I love the last line, 'She was mine'.
This photo will recall that special moment for you always and skim your memory back to that day in a wingbeat.

JJ

Cybele
post Feb 19 05, 04:06
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

Good morning Daniel,

Lovely to see you here  wave.gif

Well, this duck just poked 'is beak in, an' all 'e c'd do is ghhawk!

I wish my wings could make me soar; they just make me sore.

You've got a couple o' beauts there, Grace!

Thank you my friend. By a couple of beauts did you mean the verse and the wings ~ or just the wings? LOL.gif

Oh, for the wings of a dove or a pelican, or crow or buzzard ~ any old wings would do.  Jester.gif   I yearn to soar up there.  cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Feb 19 05, 04:08
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Good morning Good Sir Knight, knight.gif  (where did that day go to?  :jester: )

... clever clogs ....

What, me gov? Or Daniel?  :detective:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Feb 19 05, 04:16
Post #15

Dear Grace,

Clever Clogs was to you, for suggesting the "other half" was Maria, when I meant the other half of my mind !

Don't think Daniel's was up when I started answering, otherwise I'd have been more expressive !

Anyway, you are quite right about the tense.

Love
Alan

Cybele
post Feb 19 05, 10:48
Post #16

Ornate Oracle

Sorry Alan, hsdance.gif

Just re-read your crit and noticed you said the other half. I thought you were referring to the better half. LOL.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Feb 19 05, 11:03
Post #17

Ornate Oracle

Hi there Jimmy  irish.gif

I meant to come along earlier and join the list of admirers for this beautiful little postcard, Grace.  The photo is mightily impressive and the words tell the tale grace-fully and well.

Such kind words sor blush21.gif Have you been at the Blarney stone be any chance?

I love the last line, 'She was mine'.

Yes, I couldn't believe my luck. She seemed to pose for me Jimmy.  cloud9.gif

This photo will recall that special moment for you always and skim your memory back to that day in a wingbeat.

You are quite right ~ it's a day I'll never forget. On that day, Ralph had a packet of extra strong mints in his pocket and he was followed around all day by two little kune-kune (pronounced koony) pigs who were crazy about them. They would sit and beg just like a dog for one. In the end he passed the pack on to an unsuspecting little boy who was looking at him appealingly. LOL.gif

Thank you for reading Jimmy. Looking forward to our duet challenge.  sings.gif  sings.gif  

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 19 05, 11:30
Post #18

Hi Grace,

Your capture of this moment is more precise than the hawk taking her prey - wonderful.

Fran

Cybele
post Feb 19 05, 11:40
Post #19

Ornate Oracle

Thank you Fran,  sun.gif

Your capture of this moment is more precise than the hawk taking her prey - wonderful.

I always bear in mind that I am supposed to be sending a Postcard to friends so it has to be brief.

I don't know why I started these postcards.  Speechless.gif  I hate sending them when I am on holiday.

Ralph and I would sit down and stare at the blank reverse racking our brains for something interesting to say. We would suddenly look at each other, smile and almost as the same moment say, "How about a bottle of wine while we're thinking darling?"

Great minds think alike.  LOL.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 19 05, 16:28
Post #20

Hi Grace,

The classic postcard filler (of course):

"Weather here. Wish you were lovely."

Fran :yoda:

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:27

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: