wishing.

I notice you –
do you see me?

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Jox_*
post Jun 26 05, 14:20
Post #2

Hi Nina,

We hear about Celebs and movers and shakers et al. We also her about poor groups. But we sledom hear about poor individuals. Still less do we hear of the dispossessed. In the UK we are luckier than many countries to have a more cohesive society with fewer drop-outs who have just been abandoned by society. However, they are still there in surprisingly large numbers.

Moreover, your poem addresses people activly involved in society but who, somehow, drift below the radar - become unhappy loners (there are happy loners, too) and simply are no longer persona non-grata.

My only suggestion is to swap the semi-colon after "existence" for another dash - so the word becomes a sub-clause.

Well done, Nina.

J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 26 05, 14:40
Post #3

Thanks James

I will change the semi-colon for a dash as suggested.

I haven't time to reply properly so rather than rush an answer I'll come back later and finish.

Back again, muttering somewhat but never mind....

Anyway back to the poem:

I was watching a programme at lunch-time about the history of Spitalfields (area in London around Petticoat Lane Market) and they were talking to a Bangladeshi woman who, describing what life was like when she and her family first came over here as an immigrant said "we were shadows walking in the streets".  

Those words were the original inspiration for the poem but as you mention in your crit it extends  further to include anyone who, as you say, falls below the radar and are persona non-grata or who feels invisible, ignored and insignificant in today's egocentric, materialistic society.

Thanks again

Nina

Guest_Jox_*
post Jun 26 05, 14:45
Post #4

Hi Nina,

Thanks.

The only thing I think of when I hear about Spittlefields is the meat market - not people. Strange how one latches on to things.

Actually, in a perverse way, what that lady said may be good - better than the hostility of previous generations - shows acceptance if not warmth.

J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 27 05, 00:52
Post #5

Hi James

The only thing I think of when I hear about Spittlefields is the meat market - not people. Strange how one latches on to things.
Actually the meat market is called Smithfields which is in a different area, not far from where I used to live as it happens.  Spitalfields does have a market but it sold wholesale fruit, veg and flowers.  Now I think it is more like Covent Garden market.

Actually, in a perverse way, what that lady said may be good - better than the hostility of previous generations - shows acceptance if not warmth.
true I guess, indifference and acting as if the person is invisible which is marginally better than outright hatred.

Thanks

Nina

Guest__*
post Jun 27 05, 01:38
Post #6

Dear Nina,

"to include anyone who, as you say, falls below the radar and are persona non-grata or who feels invisible, ignored and insignificant in today's egocentric, materialistic society."

these are actually two different things. There ARE people who are persona non grata, but there are also those

Guest__*
post Jun 27 05, 01:45
Post #7

Dear Nina,

"to include anyone who, as you say, falls below the radar and are persona non-grata or who feels invisible, ignored and insignificant in today's egocentric, materialistic society."

These are actually two different things. There ARE people who are persona non grata, but there are also those WHO FEEL they are, regardless of the actual facts in their social lives. Their problem lies entirely within.

I'm not intending to make this personal, but I was married to one such for 17 years, out of which the last 15 were hell. Finally shortly before she died she had the realisation that in her words "I always thought you were my worst enemy, but now I see you are my best friend".

Better late than never, I suppose.

This also explains the "famous" or "rich" who do themselves in - they have everything that we all think they, or we, want, but are still as miserable as hell.

The reactive side of the mind will impose its "certainties" over the rational or logical mind, if one lets it.

Inversely, it also explains those who "have nothing", but still make it anyway - say Condi Rice, or Ray Charles, they simply did not let the "reactive" side dictate to them. If people but knew it, it is a matter of sheer will.

THAT reactive side of the mind is the real enemy.

Love
Alan

Guest__*
post Jun 27 05, 01:46
Post #8

Dear Nina,

Hey, I forgot to offer a crit.

Can't really, there is nothing to deal with, you make a very valid point very well !

Love
Alan

Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 27 05, 02:37
Post #9

Hi Alan

These are actually two different things. There ARE people who are persona non grata, but there are also those WHO FEEL they are, regardless of the actual facts in their social lives. Their problem lies entirely within.

Absolutely, but where does that feeling come from.  Were they ignored and invisible at some point in their  lives, maybe in childhood that they feel this way in adulthood?

I'm not intending to make this personal, but I was married to one such for 17 years, out of which the last 15 were hell. Finally shortly before she died she had the realisation that in her words "I always thought you were my worst enemy, but now I see you are my best friend".

Better late than never, I suppose.

I'm very sorry that you had to live with this for 15 years, it must have been as you say "hell"

This also explains the "famous" or "rich" who do themselves in - they have everything that we all think they, or we, want, but are still as miserable as hell
true, the "rich and Famous" have this constant craving to be noticed and can't cope with being "invisible"

Hey, I forgot to offer a crit.

Can't really, there is nothing to deal with, you make a very valid point very well !

Thank you.  Your comment on the message is a crit anyway.

Thanks, much appreciated

Nina

Guest_Jox_*
post Jun 27 05, 02:43
Post #10

Hi Nina.

You're right - I have always confused /assumed that Smithfields and Spittlefields are the same place. Thanks for the distinction. Please forgive me next time I confuse them - in my brain now.

I think Covent Garden sells operas and cappachinos now?

J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 27 05, 06:04
Post #11

Hi James

yes, Covent Garden is very trendy now.

Nina

Guest_Cathy_*
post Jun 27 05, 10:35
Post #12

Hi Nina!

I see no one has made any suggestions so maybe nothing needs
changing but I have a couple to offer for whatever it's worth.  LOL
Take or toss as you see fit of course!

Shadows move
quietly past, I think you could omit "past"
pressing deep
into corners.

Dim forms drift
on  society’s edge: You could omit "on"
insignificant,
ignored,
invisible.

Vacuous presence -
nameless existence -
watching,
waiting,
wishing.

I notice you –
do you see me?

WITH CHANGES:

Shadows move
quietly,
pressing deep
into corners.

Dim forms drift
society’s edge:
insignificant,
ignored,
invisible.

Vacuous presence -
nameless existence -
watching,
waiting,
wishing.

I notice you –
do you see me?

Cathy

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jun 27 05, 10:54
Post #13

Hi Nina,

Careful observation and amazing power. Thanks for explaining what sparked this; such a small phrase takes on so much meaning here.

Fran

Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 27 05, 13:29
Post #14

Hi Cathy

Thanks for popping in here and offering suggestions, they are much appreciated.  I think I will leave past in, because I want the idea  the shadows moving moving past people who may be standing still.

Your second suggestion needs a bit more thought.  It slightly changes the meaning from the dim forms drifting on the edge of society to them being the edge.  I will have to think which meaning I want.

Thanks

Nina

Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 27 05, 13:37
Post #15

Hi Fran

Careful observation and amazing power. Thanks for explaining what sparked this; such a small phrase takes on so much meaning here.

Thank you very much indeed.  It is amazing how a phrase can feel so powerful and be so inspiring.  I had to dash out of the kitchen (where I was dishing out dinner) and scribble it down before I forgot.

Nina

Cybele
post Jun 27 05, 16:12
Post #16

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hi Nina,

In haste, just to let you know that I was here. My computer is on the blink. The fan isn't working properly and I have been advised to shut it down for 24 hours, till I get a replacement.

I shall return.... medusa.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 27 05, 16:15
Post #17

Hi Grace

Oh no! what a disaster.  I hope it is alright tomorrow, else you'll have to hot-foot it over to the library to book yourself onto a PC.  I couldn't cope without my computer.

Nina

Guest_ferns_*
post Jul 12 05, 15:41
Post #18

Hi Nina..  New here (former member of PK) wave.gif  and I love this site.  This poem is very powerful.  A couple of suggestions for you.

Shadows on the Edge

Shadows move
quietly past,     <--------  I would remove "past" (but then, I am a minimalist)
pressing deep
into corners.

Dim forms drift
on  society’s edge:
insignificant,
ignored,
invisible.

Vacuous presence -          
nameless existence -   ** See below
watching,
waiting,
wishing.

I notice you –
do you see me?

"we were (shadows walking in the streets)".   How about using part of this phrase, your inspiration for the poem, perhaps up there by the *? It reads of such truth..

Guest_Nina_*
post Jul 12 05, 16:03
Post #19

Hi Ferns

First of all a very warm welcome to MM.  I hope you get as much enjoyment from this site as I do.  If you have any questions or need help on anything, please feel free to PM me (private message), there is a button at the end of each post which says *send msg*

thanks for reading and commenting on my poem, I'm pleased you found it so powerful.

Shadows move
quietly past,     <--------  I would remove "past" (but then, I am a minimalist)
pressing deep
into corners

someone else also suggested removing past, but the image I am trying to convey is of a person standing in the street and shadows drifting past him/her, un-noticed.

Vacuous presence -          
nameless existence -   ** See below
watching,
waiting,
wishing.

I notice you –
do you see me?

"we were (shadows walking in the streets)".   How about using part of this phrase, your inspiration for the poem, perhaps up there by the *? It reads of such truth..

An interesting suggestion that I quite like but for the fact I have already used shadows in the first verse, so can't really repeat it again.

Thanks once again for taking the time to read and I look forward to reading and commenting on your work when you post.

grinning.gif

Nina

Guest_ferns_*
post Jul 12 05, 16:10
Post #20

Hi Nina. thanks for the welcome.  I got so excited by your inspirational line, I missed the first line with shadows in it.  Yes, I see your point..how about another word for shadow?  (I'm normally stubborn, but harmless)  that line just sticks in my mind.  Hmmm  spectors or wraiths?  :)

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 21:51

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: