Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bronwyn and the Bitch, (Life's like that)
Thoth
post Aug 19 09, 11:08
Post #1

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 457
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Mistral

Bronwyn and the Bitch

Bronwyn and the Bitch had been together from the word go, so it seemed. If one of them was around, the other was surely close by. They traveled together, went shopping together, worked at the same institution and always went to the gym together. They were both white skinned, of European extraction and a little temperamental, yet the bitch’s German background contrasted somewhat sharply with Bronwyn’s Irish lineage.

Their relationship to me was somewhat blurred as Bronwyn always complained about her friends bad habits. The Bitch was apt to react adversely to neglect, usually with a passive resistance that infuriated Bronwyn no end, but partners they were indeed, of this I had no doubt. I could never imagine Bronwyn abandoning the Bitch, and whatever would the Bitch do without Bronwyn? It was simply unthinkable!

Many a time I was called upon to settle a dispute between the two of them and smooth ruffled feathers, with passionate Bronwyn in tears, vowing never to be held to ransom ever again, and the Bitch sulking moodily, knowing the power she could wield by simply being uncooperative.

Fortunately, both were receptive to some TLC and I knew exactly what buttons to push with each them so these tiffs were seldom protracted. I would smile inwardly at the fickleness of forty-something females as I watched them driving happily away, friends once more.

There was a time when the Bitch maintained that Bronwyn had slammed her once too many times knowing full-well her weakness but to Bronwyn, when her bonnet blew off on the way home from work it was the last straw. Even this catastrophe was quickly resolved with a few carefully chosen gifts and extra attention.

Then came that fateful day when the relationship finally came to a traumatic end. They had been out for lunch doing some shopping in Johannesburg when they were surprised by a gang of young thugs. Bronwyn luckily escaped unharmed but the Bitch was captured and taken away by the hijackers never to be seen again.

Well, as you can imagine Bronwyn was devastated. Hysterical at first, then came floods of tears and a sense of guilt that took ages for her to overcome.

The police with their typical civility promised to do what they could but were doubtful that they would ever find the Bitch. They told me that even in the unlikely event that she was rescued; we must expect the worst as she would never be the same again. The gangs in that area had a fearful reputation!

I tried to comfort Bronwyn and make her understand that there was nothing she could have done and had she tried to intervene, her own life would have been in danger but for weeks she was completely inconsolable. Even psychiatric counseling failed to lift her from a deep depression.

Eventually a suitable companion was found to fill the gap in Bronwyn’s life. Younger, prettier and of Japanese lineage, the new arrival soon captured her heart with impeccable manners and an agreeable lively character. They both got on splendidly and in no time at all, Bronwyn was leading a normal life once more.

If you had to ask her now, she would tell you that she is completely content but I suspect that on occasion she still misses her old Volkswagen - just a little bit.

© WW Schwim - August 2009

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_ohsteve_*
post Aug 19 09, 19:24
Post #2

Wally, I loved the twisted end, I thought for sure you were talking two human females right up until I read Volkswagon...LOL Great story.

Steve

Peterpan
post Aug 20 09, 02:16
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

Loved it!

Bev

PS My first car was a VW Beetle - 1965 model

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Ishmael_*
post Sep 24 09, 09:00
Post #4

Great twist at the end, very well done. The only problem I had was that this paragraph:

"There was a time when the Bitch maintained that Bronwyn had slammed her once too many times knowing full-well her weakness but to Bronwyn, when her bonnet blew off on the way home from work it was the last straw. Even this catastrophe was quickly resolved with a few carefully chosen gifts and extra attention."

only worked once I got to the end. When I was actually reading it I was like "Bonnet, wtf? Slammed? Huh?"

Similarly, the car-jacking, when I thought the Bitch was human, seemed like a monumental event. I think you need to draw out the search a little bit longer. Only minor critiques because I think the whole idea is fantastic.

I think you need to introduce the 'car metaphors' a little more softly.

Thoth
post Sep 29 09, 04:18
Post #5

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Hi Ishmael,

Thanks for popping in to read and your valued comments. I will consider a revision.

Cheers,

Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 13:30

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: