Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MM in the UK - Meeting 2006, Saturday 22nd April (New Definite date)
Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 14 06, 17:28
Post #21

OK, since present thinking is that Saturdays are ok and so is late April,

What about 29th April?

J.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 14 06, 17:35
Post #22

thanks James

Saturday 29 April is fine by me

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 14 06, 18:00
Post #23

Sat 29th April is fine for me, too

Fran

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 15 06, 04:02
Post #24

OK so Sat 29th April, 2006 is ok for Nin, Fran, James.

Grace?

And what about everyone else?

J.

Cybele
post Feb 15 06, 04:05
Post #25

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hi everybody, wave.gif

Saturday 29th April is fine with me aussi!  :cheer:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 15 06, 04:37
Post #26

Brill! Thanks, Grace.

Well shall we say Saturday 29th April, 2006 as a provisional pencil-in date?

Can everyone else please let us know by contributing to this tile asap. Obviously if someone can't make that date we'll do our best but it does seem tight this time - so the earlier people tell us, the better.

J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 15 06, 07:05
Post #27

>J>Well shall we say Saturday 29th April, 2006 as a provisional pencil-in date?

Sounds good to me.

Is anyone else free to join us?

Nina

Guest_Don_*
post Feb 15 06, 10:01
Post #28

QUOTE (Jox @ Feb. 15 2006, 04:37)
Brill! Thanks, Grace.

Well shall we say Saturday 29th April, 2006 as a provisional pencil-in date?

Can everyone else please let us know by contributing to this tile asap. Obviously if someone can't make that date we'll do our best but it does seem tight this time - so the earlier people tell us, the better.

J.

Hi all,

Sorry but I can't make that date.  Or any other this year for that matter.

The pond from here to there is too far...and wet.

Oo.gif  Don  :sun:

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 15 06, 12:06
Post #29

Dear Don,

We'll raise our glasses and toast the MM membership and all our absent friends - and hopefully we'll get a few good pictures again of the surroundings to send back ... should've taken a shot at of that fruit bat last time bat.gif

Hugs

Fran Reindeer.gif

Guest_Don_*
post Feb 15 06, 12:22
Post #30

Hi Fran,

Thanks.  Too bad you can't shoot the bugger with a firearm for good measure.

Don

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 15 06, 12:29
Post #31

Hi Don,

Sorry you won't be able to pop over (though, of course the invitation is most certainly there).

As regards shooting at bats - I think that would break too many laws (bats are protected; discharging a firearm in a public place etc) Anyway, the chap (a large fruit bat) is long-since dead and stuffed!

Cheers, J.

Guest_Don_*
post Feb 15 06, 12:36
Post #32

QUOTE (Jox @ Feb. 15 2006, 12:29)
Hi Don,

Sorry you won't be able to pop over (though, of course the invitation is most certainly there).

As regards shooting at bats - I think that would break too many laws (bats are protected; discharging a firearm in a public place etc) Anyway, the chap (a large fruit bat) is long-since dead and stuffed!

Cheers, J.

Thanks very much Jox.

Fruit bats are supposedly harmless...unlike the laws, but a few pellets for good measure???  perhaps a little like our Vice President shooting his millionare guest in the face with a 28 gage shotgun at 30 yards.

Don

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 15 06, 12:41
Post #33

Aw, but I love bats, Don

Not so keen on politicians though; a VP stuffed and mounted would be an interesting talking point in a pub (*creeps away, quietly*)

Fran  :gromit:

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 15 06, 12:44
Post #34

Hi Don,

>D> Fruit bats are supposedly harmless...unlike the laws, but a few pellets for good measure???

Nah - I've never handled a gun, thanks. And this is a good reason why not...

>D> perhaps a little like our Vice President shooting his millionare guest in the face with a 28 gage shotgun at 30 yards.

Has The White House call it "Friendly Fire" yet?

J.

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 06:47
Post #35

Hi all,

We have a pencilled-in date - any problems with that please asap.

We now have a hub - Reading, in what was Berkshire. The main alternative appears to be Oxford. Please say if the Reading area is not suitable for you - again asap.

Thanks! J.

Peterpan
post Feb 16 06, 10:16
Post #36

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

I think guns should be banned! I hate hearing about these crowds of 'men' going out and maiming and killing. For what reason? Best they shoot themselves!

If they really need to discharge a gun, what about clay pigeon shooting?

"Save the Bats & Helpless Creatures"

(My thought for the day.)

PP

But, have a good gathering UK contingent!

:p

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 16 06, 11:41
Post #37

It's not only guns that kill and maim.  Knives are just as bad.  Round where I work we've had quite a few fatal stabbings recently.

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 16 06, 11:54
Post #38

Right, so we'll keep away from Nina's area and go to Reading ... erm ... or Oxford (and anyone who's seen Inspector Morse knows what that city is like)

As far as I am concerned, Reading or Oxford are both wonderfully easy train journesy for that Saturday; no changes, fast route. cheer.gif

Fran

Peterpan
post Feb 17 06, 03:44
Post #39

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

QUOTE (Nina @ Feb. 16 2006, 17:41)
It's not only guns that kill and maim.  Knives are just as bad.  Round where I work we've had quite a few fatal stabbings recently.

Nina

You are so right Nina, my housekeeper for the office was stabbed on Sunday night, the criminals were trying to take her cell phone!
She had to have hand surgery!

But, somehow with guns one does not have to be too close...and invariably it is a  kid discharging the gun towards their friend or sibling.

I know there are other horrid situations. Here, too often.

gavel.gif

PP

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 17 06, 04:27
Post #40

Hi Bev,

Here (UK) in general, knives are a far bigger problem. The Police have stab-resistant vests, as opposed to the US bullet-proof ones. (though both types have a certain amount of cross-over).

It is illegal in the UK for private citizens to own handguns and other firearms are tightly controlled - not like the US, which appears to be a free-for-all to people over here - largely due to their NRA (National Rifle Association) which many Americans think of as a constitutional element, almost and I think of as evil. The American fascination with firearms is due to their constitution - it is a clause designed to enable American citizens to oppose British rule. The Minute-Men were ordinary, armed US citizens, available to fight the Brits at a minute's notice. However, given the US's nuclear deterrent and the fact they are the UK's No1 international ally (plus the fact that invasion is no longer politically-correct) it seems most unlikely that the UK presents a threat to the USA these days - except at cricket.

I simply cannot understand it when I see ordinary US citizens - and even youngsters - handling guns - seems the recipe for trouble which it is.

I do not have the latest figures, sorry. But during the 1980s, there were more gun-murders in Washington DC (US capital - and gun-crime capital - city) than in the whole of the UK in a year. Since then I think DC may have improved and I know the UK position has worsened. Still, a staggering difference.

Now, all this might make the UK sound very rosy. It is far from the case. Criminals don’t obey gun laws so, although obtaining guns in the UK is far harder than in the US, it is still quite possible. Late last year, in Leeds I think, a female PC was murdered and another badly injured by a gun-carrying robber. Only this week in Nottingham (Robin Hood’s city - Perry’s (Perrorist) home city and the place I did my degree in) a another female officer was shot in her stomach by another robber. Plus there are many other gun crimes less reported. Plus we have many stabbings. Now, crime of this nature is comparatively rare, considering the UK population (sixty million) but it is showing alarming rises. I just wish we could catch the right people and execute them. The problem with capital, for me, punishment is incorrect convictions. But I do think we need to stop this problem. The new US trend to “prison without the possibility of parole” seems more inhumane than execution to me - but it is better than letting blatant criminals go. (Crimes of passion, accidents etc are different things).

Ok sorry, rant over.

Take care now, J.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:51

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: