3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who Are You?, Wizard Award
Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 15 06, 20:38
Post #1

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

© Todd Congreve, 2006. I, Todd Congreve, do assert my right to be identified as the author of this work in accordance with Sections 77 and 78 of The Copyrights, Designs And Patents Act, 1988. (Laws of Cymru & England, as recognised by international treaties). This work was simultaneously copyrighted in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America. This work is posted as an unpublished work in order to elicit critical assistance and other helpful comment, only.

Thanks to all for commentating / critting. Thanks to Nina for the adopted alterations and for the sub-title stimulus.

Ref: TC 0360 AD

Who Are You?
(Answer monochromatically)
by TC

Who are you?

I’m anyone.

What’s your age?

I’m alive.

What gender are you?

I’m tri-sexual.

What race are you?

I’m Human.

What’s your religion?

I have my credo.

What are your politics?

Left to right.

Where’s your pigeon-hole?

In your mind.

Trouble-Maker!

(end)

Thanks to Leonard Cohen for the inspiration

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Cathy_*
post Feb 15 06, 20:51
Post #2

Hi James,

lol  I like your ending comment!

Not to pick ... but would people really talk quite like this?  I hear it more like:

Who are you?

Anyone.  Or 'someone'

What’s your age?  How old are you?

I’m alive.  ...aren't I?

What gender are you?

I’m tri-sexual.  (I won't even ask!)

What race are you?  And your race?

I’m Human,

What’s your religion?

I have my credo.

What are your politics? What about your politics?

Left to right.

It’s in your mind.

Trouble-Maker!

Just some thoughts ... do with them what you will!  *smiles*

Cat

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 15 06, 21:11
Post #3

Hi Cathy,

Gosh! That was quick. Thank you very much.

Perhaps if I explained that this was meant to be an aggressive, very fast-spoken, interrogation - not a friendly conversation. I was imagining the secret police in a totalitarian state, conducting a hostile, psychologically-brutal interrogation. You know the sort of state that the US or UK is becoming - where freedom of speech and movement and action and even thought are limited.

This is a poem written some time ago (started 17/04/2005 and last updated 20/04/2005) but I pulled it out now because the UK Blair government has just pushed-through Parliament an Act which will make it illegal to "glorify terrorism." So, if you visit here be careful what you say, to whom you say it and where you speak. (Remember the anti-Nazi spy warning: "Walls have ears"). Also we'll soon all have biometric identity cards so there'll be no escape. And that is partly pushed by the USA's new visa requirements for entrants to the states. Yes, between  our two "free" countries, we are managing to erode freedom faster than any militant Middle Eastern terrorist could ever dream of.

I envisaged the person in the "hot seat" to be any person - but someone who won't be pigeon-holed as their government requires; an independent thinker who refuses to tow the line of Fascist dictatorships (for elected ones, think Bush, Blair and many others). So these interrogators cannot put all the details they want to in the forms to go on the identity cards - this person does not fit all the round holes available.

Hence the aggressive and pedantic tone of the questioning.

"Someone" works very well in the sense of the person standing proud as an individual. However, I did want to point out that this applies to us all. None of us fit in all the round holes.

"aren't I" after "I'm alive" is over-chatty for the scenario, thanks.

"Tri-sexual" was recognising that, even though we use male / female labels there is some of the other sex in us all. (pauses for chortles) Nothing is black nor white.

I hope that, at least, makes some sense.

Thanks very much,

J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 16 06, 01:22
Post #4

Hi J

We live in a world where we are increasingly questioned  and have to answer too many personal questions about ourselves.  So much personal information is held on computer about us, our movements, shopping habits.  Anonymity is no longer an option.

I like the way that the interrogated person evades revealing anything, yet answers the questions truthfully.  Hehe must have driven his interrogators wild, very subversive.

Who are you?

I’m anyone.  ...another answer I like to this question is "I'm me" though it narrows it down to one person rather than widening it to anyone/everyone which is what you are trying to show.

What’s your age?

I’m alive.   ...I'm not sure this quite answers the question with a non-answer.  Just a thought.  What about "growing older" or "I'm growing older"

What gender are you?

I’m tri-sexual.

What race are you?

I’m Human{,}[.]

What’s your religion?

I have my credo.

What are your politics?

Left to right.

It’s in your mind. ..do you need "It's"?

Trouble-Maker!  ...brill ending

thanks for the read

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 16 06, 02:50
Post #5

Hi James

What a fascinating interogation

My biggest crit would be that the thought police don't ask questions like this, do they? They already know the answers they want and merely require assent before they dispose of the suspect. In any interogation they would soften the victim (sorry, suspect) up first (not torture, of course - dear me, no ... just lack of sleep, lack of comforts, whispered threats ... )

Yes, I agree that the "land of the free" seems to be leading the way into a terrifying Orwellian labarynth of surveillance and imprisonment.

The "war on terror" is more about scaring us into sheep-like acceptance that such measures are necessary, rather than protection of our "liberty"

Never mind, as Winston discovers, "freedom" is in the mind, anyway.

Gosh ... you have got me started now Wall.gif

Who are you?

I’m anyone. --- the sad thing is, these days it could be (especially with ID theft so prevalent)

What’s your age?

I’m alive.  --- I agree with Nina that this is too disengenious; how about between birth and death or growing older?

What gender are you?

I’m tri-sexual.  --- we'll talk about that at the pub meeting, lol

What race are you?

I’m Human,  --- nice one

What’s your religion?

I have my credo.  --- not sure what this adds

What are your politics?

Left to right.  --- brill

Where’s your pigeon-hole? --- that Q is a tad peculiar; surely the usual kind of phrase would be "position"? and the answer might be something like "freedom's dove not pigeon holed"

It’s in your mind.

Trouble-Maker! --- LOL ... followed by incarceration, beating, execution?

Certainly gets one thinking, ta James

Fran

Peterpan
post Feb 16 06, 04:30
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 127
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Jox

Hello James~

I got a bit sad, we dont really know who we are. And the short answers in your poem were not a lie. We go through life with questions of where we are at, who we REALLY are, where are we going, what are we doing with our life, are we doing our best etc. mmm really makes one think? So right now you are the trouble-maker! You have started a whole lot of questions in my mind. Questions which lie dormant for a while and then it takes something to trigger them off and then they come just like an interrogation...

Well done on making us wake-up on this Thursday morning!

I will keep you posted if I have any interesting two sentence answers.

PP

:)

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 05:34
Post #7

Bev - I'm very sorry! Hope you feel better now / soon.

J.

Guest_Cathy_*
post Feb 16 06, 07:54
Post #8

Hi James,

Duh ... I should have realized that while I was reading it!  That's exactly what it sounds like ... an interrogation!  (If it'd been a snake it'd bit me) lol

Looking at it in that context it all now makes sense .... sadly so.  Each time the government does something in the name of safety these days I cringe at the amount of freedom that's being taken from us.  Oh and all for a good cause of course.  IMO, we are allowing the terrorists to win battle after battle, one 'safe' step at a time and they aren't killing to do it!

Cat

Peterpan
post Feb 16 06, 08:30
Post #9

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 127
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Jox

James, I am fine! Thanks for the thoughts!

PP

:)

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Feb 16 06, 13:28
Post #10

Hi Jox,

I think the answer to the age might be, "older."  The tri-sexual answer seemed out of place, but I agree since the purpose is to avoid any established categories.

Ah yes the nations that had the most freedom are taking it away.

Our Dayton newspaper had an article on a company making tiny RFID (radio frequency identification) chips for security purposes.  Already employees are volunteering to be test subjects by having one implanted into their arm just below skin.  Their job doesn't require it, but we know where it leads.

I suspect the peoples with the optimum combination of security and freedom are yet to be found in the deepest jungles.  

Don

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 15:27
Post #11

Hi Nina,

>N> We live in a world where we are increasingly questioned and have to answer too many personal questions about ourselves. So much personal information is held on computer about us, our movements, shopping habits. Anonymity is no longer an option.

Yup, quite.

>N> I like the way that the interrogated person evades revealing anything, yet answers the questions truthfully. Hehe must have driven his interrogators wild, very subversive.

Thank you - that was partly my intention; he is contemptuous of his interrogators.

"Who are you?
"I’m anyone."

>N> ...another answer I like to this question is "I'm me" though it narrows it down to one person rather than widening it to anyone/everyone which is what you are trying to show.

Yes, "I'm me" is good - and is very much like The Prisoner ("I'm not a number - I'm a free man!") The only snag is the one you identify, else an excellent alternative.

"What’s your age?
"I’m alive. ...

>N> I'm not sure this quite answers the question with a non-answer. Just a thought. What about "growing older" or "I'm growing older"

Thanks; I'll think about that more. It does make the point that the interrogation is wasting time - but it also shows admittance of suffering on the part of the victim. Bullies like that.

"I’m Human{,}[.]

Ta. Wilco.

"It’s in your mind. ..do you need "It's"?

Nope; I'll lose that - thanks.

"Trouble-Maker! ...brill ending
thanks for the read

Thank you very much, Nina! Appreciated. J.

Guest_manofwords73_*
post Feb 16 06, 16:01
Post #12

Hello, J
I'll have to say first that I read this piece earlier today and have been thinking about it a lot. I get the feeling of an interrogation where the accused isn't being asked anything important. In honesty the interrogator already knows all he/she needs but is just trying to break the subject down with a barrage of questions that seem to have no real purpose. It makes me shudder when I realize this is probably what's going on in Abu Grahib and at Guantanamo Bay. Just psychological assault with no real point but to mess people up. You generate that same kind of sense here.

This is one of those poems that takes place entirely in the realm of the emotions and not the imagination. There aren't specific images the reader needs to capture. The audience needs to feel the scene. IMO you've done that.

I imagine this has even greater impact when it's read aloud, something we unfortunately can't get here. But as it is there is still enough power to get you thinking about what's going on right now in this world. I'll hold my political thoughts, though.
oops.gif

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 16:06
Post #13

Hi Fran,

>F> What a fascinating interrogation

Merci Muchly.

>F> My biggest crit would be that the thought police don't ask questions like this, do they? They already know the answers they want and merely require assent before they dispose of the suspect. In any interrogation they would soften the victim (sorry, suspect) up first (not torture, of course - dear me, no ... just lack of sleep, lack of comforts, whispered threats ... )

Well that would be to take this as a literal script. I think Nina has the idea where she says "We live in a world where we are increasingly questioned and have to answer too many personal questions about ourselves... Anonymity is no longer an option."

I was trying to convey that idea of being bombarded with officially-required info all the time, almost just to breathe. If it was a literal script I couldn't really present it as a poem and it would be doing something different, anyway. Sorry to confuse - you and Cathy - must be my fault!

So here we have all of us under official - and commercial - interrogation just to exist. I took the metaphor of an interrogation in a cell environment to try to convey that. Sorry I failed.

>F> Yes, I agree that the "land of the free" seems to be leading the way into a terrifying Orwellian labyrinth of surveillance and imprisonment.

Well, not just the USA - though the US Government is dreadful and has done more to kill the US concept of freedom than any number of terrorists, The UK is the same - that vote in Parliament last night should merit Blair and his cronies being put on trial in my view for glorifying repression of freedom.

>F> The "war on terror" is more about scaring us into sheep-like acceptance that such measures are necessary, rather than protection of our "liberty"

Quite. Now the CCCP's empire is dead the US industrial-military-political complex needed a new enemy - a new nightmare.  Of course, none of us will ever forget the terrorist attacks - and there will be more. But that doesn't mean we have to do their work for them by repressing ourselves.

>F> Never mind, as Winston discovers, "freedom" is in the mind, anyway.

Sure but it would be good to have some socio-political freedom, too. Hey Blair and Bush would make excellent 21st Birthday presents for Winston! (Ok we missed that one, so 22nd now).

>F> Gosh ... you have got me started now

err ... there is a joke there! :)

"Who are you?
"I’m anyone.

>F>  --- the sad thing is, these days it could be (especially with ID theft so prevalent)

Yup. So let's have ID cards then if that one cards says we aren't who we are then we aren't - and it's official!

"What’s your age?
"I’m alive. ---

>F> I agree with Nina that this is too disingenuous; how about between birth and death or growing older?

It was meant to be disingenuous - so by telling me that you force me to keep it! (I was considering changing it). It is meant to be a kick in the crotch of Government. On the last tax form I filled in (and this is 100% true) I scribbled in large letters "Leave me alone you bastards!" across it. This is my feeling coming out here. I'm saying "I'm alive but you pen-pushing bastards are brain dead - good!"

"What gender are you?
"I’m tri-sexual. ---

>F> we'll talk about that at the pub meeting, lol

If you see Bev's tile (Butterflies) you'll see I'll be wearing the purple dress which Nina remembers - plus extra sequins.

"What race are you?
"I’m Human,

>F>  --- nice one

Ta.

"What’s your religion?
"I have my credo.

>F>  --- not sure what this adds

Why not? - it is an answer I have used often on various forms. Why don't you like it please?

"What are your politics?
"Left to right.

>F>  --- brill

Thanks but that is the one answer I originally was unhappy about. I thought it too old-fashioned now left / right no longer exist in Western Liberal Democracies - or, indeed, globally. Glad you liked it, therefore. Thanks.

"Where’s your pigeon-hole?

>F> --- that Q is a tad peculiar; surely the usual kind of phrase would be "position"? and the answer might be something like "freedom's dove not pigeon holed"

As I mentioned to Cathy, this isn't "usual" talk. All the forms we have want to pigeon-hole us. So I wasn't trying to ape usual conversation at all. Sorry!

"Freedom's dove" isn't a phrase I could use, sorry. But thanks!

"It’s in your mind.
"Trouble-Maker!

>F> --- LOL ... followed by incarceration, beating, execution?

Nope, sorry - that is far too literal again. It isn't what happens at home when we're filling in our credit card applications! It just seems like it. This poem tried to avoid any physicality; it is all in the voices - and the voices represent forms as much as anything. Ok, well that was the intention :(

>F> Certainly gets one thinking, ta James

Thanks Fran - and thanks for your very thoughtful comments and crit. Sorry it didn't work for you (nor Cathy) - think I would need to somehow explain the meaning more but I can't see how to do that in the poem without damaging the lay-out. Will think. Ta.

J.

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 16:33
Post #14

Hi Bev,

>B> I got a bit sad, we don't really know who we are. And the short answers in your poem were not a lie. We go through life with questions of where we are at, who we REALLY are, where are we going, what are we doing with our life, are we doing our best etc. mmm really makes one think?

Now this is most interesting. This was never my intention when I wrote the poem - so it is fascinating to see that you have that interpretation of it. I'm very sorry to have saddened you - but I am really pleased on your unexpected (for me) take on this - great!

>B> So right now you are the trouble-maker! You have started a whole lot of questions in my mind. Questions which lie dormant for a while and then it takes something to trigger them off and then they come just like an interrogation...

Sorry but that's poetry! I'm delighted so long as it doesn't create angst.

>B> Well done on making us wake-up on this Thursday morning!

Merci muchly :)

>B> I will keep you posted if I have any interesting two sentence answers.

LOL! Thanks, Bev.

J.

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 16:43
Post #15

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for returning :)

>C> Duh ... I should have realized that while I was reading it! That's exactly what it sounds like ... an interrogation! (If it'd been a snake it'd bit me) lol

Well you weren't the only one who didn't latch-on so no worries - may well be my fault. :)

>C> Looking at it in that context it all now makes sense .... sadly so. Each time the government does something in the name of safety these days I cringe at the amount of freedom that's being taken from us.

Yup - and that is happening apace in the US and UK (and probably many other places, too).

>C> Oh and all for a good cause of course. IMO, we are allowing the terrorists to win battle after battle, one 'safe' step at a time and they aren't killing to do it!

I entirely agree. Of course, no one is mitigating lethal terrorist attacks - but, as you rightly say, why do their job of repressing society for them?

Thanks very much, Cathy.

Cat

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 17:01
Post #16

Hi Don,

>D> I think the answer to the age might be, "older."

Interesting idea, thanks - I'll ponder that.

>D> The tri-sexual answer seemed out of place, but I agree since the purpose is to avoid any established categories.

Yes, it does sound odd. Though I hope it makes one think. Ta.

>D> Ah yes the nations that had the most freedom are taking it away.

Indeed we are.

>D> Our Dayton newspaper had an article on a company making tiny RFID (radio frequency identification) chips for security purposes.  Already employees are volunteering to be test subjects by having one implanted into their arm just below skin.  Their job doesn't require it, but we know where it leads.

Now this scares me tremendously. Tesco, the UK's largest retailer and the third largest in the World (behind the USA's Wal*Mart and France's carrefour) is experimenting with RFID tags - so the goods in our homes will be scannable within our homes. And, of course, bio-implanting is the next logical step. Don't tell Blair (UK PM) else he'll scrap ID cards and have us implanted instead.

>D> I suspect the peoples with the optimum combination of security and freedom are yet to be found in the deepest jungles.

Yup that is true. But, then again, we used to say freedom (which didn't harm others) was an absolute requirement for a free society.

Those were the days... (and it is the children of those 1960s who are taking our freedoms now)

Thanks Don, most interesting.

J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 16 06, 17:04
Post #17

Hi J

>J>Yes, "I'm me" is good - and is very much like The Prisoner ("I'm not a number - I'm a free man!") The only snag is the one you identify, else an excellent alternative.

The Prisoner did cross my mind when reading the poem.

>J>think I would need to somehow explain the meaning more but I can't see how to do that in the poem without damaging the lay-out. Will think. Ta.

An off the wall thought on how to explain the meaning more without damaging the layout -  What would you think of subtitling the poem with something like  "Please use black ink" or another phrase along those lines.  

Nina

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 17:09
Post #18

Hi Kenneth,

>K> I'll have to say first that I read this piece earlier today and have been thinking about it a lot.

That is a big compliment - thank you very much!

>K> I get the feeling of an interrogation where the accused isn't being asked anything important. In honesty the interrogator already knows all he/she needs but is just trying to break the subject down with a barrage of questions that seem to have no real purpose.

Yup, I feel governments do just that to us.

>K> It makes me shudder when I realize this is probably what's going on in Abu Grahib and at Guantanamo Bay. Just psychological assault with no real point but to mess people up. You generate that same kind of sense here.

Yes, I can imagine it literally, too. But I think, as Fran says, more physical - and psychological -  deprivations would be involved there, too.

>K> This is one of those poems that takes place entirely in the realm of the emotions and not the imagination. There aren't specific images the reader needs to capture. The audience needs to feel the scene. IMO you've done that.

Thank you very much. No I deliberately steered clear of any suggestion of a physical environment.

>K> I imagine this has even greater impact when it's read aloud, something we unfortunately can't get here.

Thanks - though not by me; I'm a terrible reader. But I'd love to hear proper actors doing it.

>K> But as it is there is still enough power to get you thinking about what's going on right now in this world.

Thanks muchly.

>K>  I'll hold my political thoughts, though.

Why? No one else does - I certainly don't! But, in any case...

Thank you very much indeed, Kenneth; much appreciated.

J.

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 16 06, 17:19
Post #19

Hi Nina,

Thanks for returning,

>J> Yes, "I'm me" is good - and is very much like The Prisoner ("I'm not a number - I'm a free man!") The only snag is the one you identify, else an excellent alternative.
>N> The Prisoner did cross my mind when reading the poem.

One of my fav tv programmes of all time (I have all episodes on DVD). Very influential with me. Thanks!

>J>(To Fran) think I would need to somehow explain the meaning more but I can't see how to do that in the poem without damaging the lay-out. Will think. Ta.
>N> An off the wall thought on how to explain the meaning more without damaging the layout -  What would you think of subtitling the poem with something like  "Please use black ink" or another phrase along those lines.  

That is a brilliant idea - though does then strictly limit it to forms and not allow questions by officials. I remember I was being questioned by The Police once and required to give a statement. The result of that would determine if I would be prosecuted. Well, of course, I pre-prepared the statement carefully - truthfully but with great care. I went for the interview and said "here's my statement." They could not accept it - had to be written down officially. So a copper sat there and I dictated my prepared statement to him. he said "This is daft if all you're going to do is to read that out." I agreed with him but pointed out it was his organisation's policy, not mine. I again offered my typed sheets for him - but he couldn't accept them so we continued with me dictating for about an hour. poor chap. (The Police didn't prosecute because of "insufficient evidence"). But that officialdom is employed all the time and not always in writing.

However, thanks for your brilliant idea - it is very clever and I may use a variation. Please look at the original posting within ten mins of this to see.

Thanks Nina, J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 16 06, 17:40
Post #20

Hi J

>J>I remember I was being questioned by The Police once and required to give a statement. The result of that would determine if I would be prosecuted. Well, of course, I pre-prepared the statement carefully - truthfully but with great care. I went for the interview and said "here's my statement." They could not accept it - had to be written down officially. So a copper sat there and I dictated my prepared statement to him. he said "This is daft if all you're going to do is to read that out." I agreed with him but pointed out it was his organisation's policy, not mine. I again offered my typed sheets for him - but he couldn't accept them so we continued with me dictating for about an hour. poor chap. (The Police didn't prosecute because of "insufficient evidence"). But that officialdom is employed all the time and not always in writing.

How typically daft and a waste of time and money. At least you weren't prosecuted. I often make the mistake of using blue ink and only afterwards realise that it mentioned in small print at the top to use black.  Then I have to go over what I've written which then looks messy.

Nina

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:01

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: