JustDaniel
post Apr 8 05, 10:33
Post #1

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Huitain was a French verse form of an eight-line stanza with 8 or 10 syllables in each line, often iambic. It was written with three rhymes, one of them utilized in four lines. There were a number of rhyme schemes, like ababbcbc and abbaacac. Un huitain enlace is an enclosed huitain which has a rhyme scheme: aabaabcc.

The huitain evidently was popular in France in the 15th and early 16th centuries with such poets as François Villon and Clément Marot.

The Huitain went by a syllable count of eight originally, but with the fondness for English iambic pentameter, has also been seen with 10 syllables. The variations are all variations on the rhyme scheme; however, there is one type of pattern all variations follow: There must be one set of four rhyming words, and two sets of two rhyming words.
French/English #1: a, b, a, b, b, c, b, c
French/English #2: a, b, b, a, a, c, a, c
Spanish #1: a, b, a, b, a, c, a, c
Spanish #2: a, b, b, a, a, c, c, a

Here are two examples of my more laid-back version of un huitain enlace ( aabaabcc ):

Huitain Puzzle

Some poets are hobbled with stricture;
but pacing yourself can help pick your
precisely-voiced sound in the words.
huitains could again be a fixture;
you’ve eight lines for painting a picture
restored from French countryside sherds.
So piece them together with patience,
if only to rid your frustrations.

© Daniel J Ricketts 31 Jan 2005

it’shuit to be a cat

An outside cat can make a mess
inside your house, it seems, unless
you let it out each time it asks
to run about and more or less
do what it wants. Then it will bless
its servant, in whose smile it basks;
so long as there’s sufficient food
and room to rest… all will be good.

© Daniel J Ricketts 08 March 2004

Now... enjoy experimenting with the form. Maybe we can revive it!

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
heartsong7
post Sep 11 07, 19:38
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 70
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Merlin

The Huitain is an old form from France, with several variations developing over time. It is a wonderfully flexible form which can be as short as the required eight lines, or can continue in eight line sets for as long as you wish. This is another great form for collaboration, with each poet developing their own eight line sequence.

The Huitain went by a syllable count of eight originally, but with the fondness for English iambic pentameter, has also been seen with 10 syllables. The variations are all variations on the rhyme scheme, however, there is one type of pattern all variations follow. There must be one set of four rhyming words, and two sets of two rhyming words.
French/English #1: a, b, a, b, b, c, b, c
French/English #2: a, b, b, a, a, c, a, c
Spanish #1: a, b, a, b, a, c, a, c
Spanish #2: a, b, b, a, a, c, c, a

One thing I've really enjoyed about this form is the flexibility of the rhyme scheme. Only requirement as stated above is:
There must be one set of four rhyming words, and two sets of two rhyming words.
This scheme is:
a a b a a b c c
in iambic tetrameter, but iambic pentameter is also used sometimes.

Uninvited Guests

The fire’s flames are burning low,
though embers still emit a glow
still hot enough to cook a meal
of beans and wieners, done just so.
Four racoon eyes enjoy the show
and scan for tempting scraps to steal.
We eat our fill, then watch them come,
as if demanding–“give us some!”

by:
Susan Eckenrode

Dance with Me

Oh won't you please come dance with me?
We'll swing and sway in ecstasy
beneath a moon that's full and bright.
I'll hold you close and soon you'll see
how great a dancer I can be.
Perhaps we'll even dance all night
and fall in love before the dawn.
Oh no, what's that? Did you just yawn?

by:
Susan Eckenrode

·······IPB·······

Forgiveness is the fragrance
the violet sheds
on the heel
that has crushed it.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- JustDaniel   Huitain   Apr 8 05, 10:33
- - JustDaniel   The Journey Itself The journey’s the heart,...   Apr 8 05, 10:38
- - Cleo_Serapis   Thanks Daniel. This is a great addition and exam...   Apr 8 05, 18:12
- - JustDaniel   You're welcome, Lori... I thought that I had ...   Apr 9 05, 12:47
- - JustDaniel   Real Freedom Bees bumble in a warming breeze a bi...   Apr 15 05, 09:35
- - Toumai   Daniel, This is lovely! Just how the first da...   Apr 15 05, 09:40
- - JustDaniel   How pleasant of you to drop in this fine day, Fran...   Apr 15 05, 10:23
- - JustDaniel   ... and here's one that I just completed as an...   Apr 19 05, 12:18
- - Cleo_Serapis   Thanks Sue for posting this form. Since we already...   Sep 12 07, 05:11
- - heartsong7   OOps, sorry Lori. I guess I didn't look back f...   Sep 12 07, 09:13
- - AMETHYST   Susan Eckenrode Wrote: QUOTE Uninvited Guests T...   Sep 13 07, 18:16
- - JustDaniel   The Journey Itself The journey’s the heart, the s...   Sep 8 09, 02:59
- - JustDaniel   a familiar refrayin' I'm losing myself in...   Apr 11 12, 10:49
- - Larry   First one Daniel, hope it passes muster. Unfinish...   Apr 23 12, 09:55
- - JustDaniel   Dear Larry... Hot dog! ... and pass the musta...   Apr 23 12, 10:14
- - Larry   Daniel, I think I saw your prior post or a version...   Apr 24 12, 11:28
- - JustDaniel   SUNLIGHT Since when does fog keep sun away? unbri...   Oct 4 15, 16:30
- - Larry   Autumn’s Breeze Forestall that chilling breath wh...   Oct 7 15, 22:14
- - JustDaniel   Fantabulous, Larry.... and the rhyme "ballets...   Oct 9 15, 06:46
- - Larry   Hi Daniel, Thank you very much. I'll do that...   Oct 11 15, 23:31
- - Larry   Sunset and Sunrise Each night he draped her shoul...   Oct 16 15, 15:39
- - JustDaniel   Museless My muse is on vacation; I don't know...   Oct 18 15, 14:59
- - Larry   Thoughts in a Storm Light mists which coalesced t...   Oct 26 15, 13:29
- - JustDaniel   Huitain Puzzle Some poets is hobbled with strictu...   Nov 27 15, 11:53
- - Larry   Eighty One Lives - Un huitain enlace We have nine...   Dec 1 15, 14:47
- - Larry   Metamorphosis All Hallows Eve; that night is near...   Oct 19 16, 22:53

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:04

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: