post Dec 18 05, 14:33
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 70
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Merlin

Jan..
This is marvelous... just my cup of tea.
I could envision it sung to acoustic guitar
Well said and well done.
Sue

·······IPB·······

Forgiveness is the fragrance
the violet sheds
on the heel
that has crushed it.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Dec 18 05, 17:01
Post #3

Hi Jan

A crazy, violent, manic age indeed.  Only the children see sense, till they grow up and are sucked into the craziness.  I think the slight randomness of rhyme scheme works well to reflect the sense of mania and hysteria you are trying to convey.

...and pianists and vandals
celebrate sweet midnight flowers,  
while painters, wh*res and waifs explore
the devil's dancing hours;   ...wonderful imagery
and daughters of the sun liase
with frowning clowns in alleyways,
and rae-glazed tower strays abhor
this brazen age
of violence -- and wars

...I don't quite grasp the sense of pianists and vandals celebrating midnight flowers.  I understand vandals would destroy them but why pianists and not artists.  If because you have used painters later, you could change that to musicians.

What does rae-glazed mean.  I have never heard of the term?

where dancers weave 'cross strange sklylines;
where poets' worlds are justified;
where smirking politicians squirm and
bit*h to soothe the angry mob while
raping Ceres as she turns
with manic, phallic, steel-eyed worms. ..brilliant line

I'm not convinced about smirking politicians b*tching to soothe the angry mob, more likely that they'd lie or schmooze (sweet-talk)

Where children question idiot law
and ask what all the red-tape's for,
there's wisdom steeped in innocence
in this craven age,
this brazen age,
our brazen age
of violence
and wars.

I think this verse is excellent.  The wisdom of innocence.

Thanks, I enjoyed the read

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Dec 19 05, 14:35
Post #4

Hi Jan

Fabulous energy and passion in this. I particularly love the lines

Fran

Guest_circumsolar_*
post Dec 19 05, 14:59
Post #5

sue - ta muchly, you strum it, i'll hum it  :dance:

Nina...

I don't quite grasp the sense of pianists and vandals celebrating midnight flowers.  I understand vandals would destroy them but why pianists and not artists.  If because you have used painters later, you could change that to musicians.

ah, what i was trying to show here was a bit convoluted, i guess - well of course it was because i get meself tied up in convolutions, lol. i wanted to show pianists at their pianos in the early hours, when others are asleep, music blossoming from their fingertips to be celebrated -- and also vandals chucking pots of paint/spraying aerosols so that, visually, it looked like flowers appearing on the walls, blobs and splodges of colour -- guess the link was a bit contrived, huh? lol. apart from that i just like the word pianists. I think i must have used 'painters' then more as a play on the lettering of pianist. I kinda see painters, prostitutes and homeless children more likely to be out 'exploring' the darkened streets than the pianists, who'd have  a job dragging their pianos about.

Glad you liked the imagery, it's probably my strongest area, with form my weakest :(

ah, rae-glazed, yeessssssss. erm, don't throw things, that refers to sunglasses. rae-bans... ergo, office workers (well-paid office workers a few rungs up the ladder) with their sunnies on, out in the daytime streets and worried/disgusted about potential crime.

b*tch - i was never really happy about that word there, nina. i got caught up in my own words and used that to try to show the discomforted politician having a go at another party, hoping the mob will turn their attentions to someone else rather than take the blame BUT I love schmooze! Unless anyone offers a better suggestion, schmooze it is! I didn't even really know if i meant just a plain old mob of people or wanted mafia connotations... ambiguity, ambiguity, ambiguity - sigh, the bane of me life  :pharoah2

Fran - i coined that term - rae-glazed, all by me ownsome. and abhor's a good word in't it? cheers and don't forget to water the wellie boots!

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 1 06, 12:21
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Jan. wave.gif

I'm just gonna dive in below.

Enjoyed the voice and message in this one!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

the devil's dancing hours; excellent wording!

where dancers weave 'cross strange sklylines; - typo s/n skylines
where poets' worlds are justified; You could also say 'words' instead of 'worlds'
with manic, phallic, steel-eyed worms. Not sure about 'steel-eyed' here?

Where children question idiot law suggest obtuse instead of idiot
in this craven age,
this brazen age,
our brazen age
of violence
and wars.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 1 06, 17:47
Post #7

Hi Jan,

This is an amazing poem.

I did need to read your critics and your replies to them to understand parts. Nevertheless, the sound-shape is fascinating.

As anything I suggest will ruin that shape, i have no suggestions but I do want you to know I enjoyed the poem, thanks.

Oh, yes, I'm not fond of "bit-ch" being used in a derrogratry context as many of my best friends have been - and are - bit-ches. So, for me, that very much undermines the point - "bit-ch" is always good :)

Cheers, James.

AMETHYST
post Jan 1 06, 21:16
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hey Jan,

There is some very strong and powerful intentions that are held here. I've only skimmed some of the comments but found I agree with Sue, as she mentions how she can hear this to guitar playing. I can 'feel' this poem being a song as well.

some quick comments to follow. Thank you for sharing this...

Hugs, Liz

[quote]
this brazen age

...and pianists and vandals
celebrate sweet midnight flowers,
while painters, wh*res and waifs explore
the devil's dancing hours;

Jan, I really liked the first line, how it leads us in as if we are walking into something midstream. This short passage is absolutely and completely a priceless piece of poetry. I would buy a magazine just for this... I love these lines.

and daughters of the sun liase
this brazen age
of violence -- and wars

where dancers weave 'cross strange sklylines;

Perhaps' as a poet's world is justified;

and smirking politicians squirm, (line break)
bit*hing to soothe the angry mob (full stop)

with manic, phallic, steel-eyed worms.

Bring down while before raping-
'while raping Ceres as she turns manic
with phallic, steel-eyed worms.

Where children question idiot law
in this craven age,
this brazen age,
our brazen age
I would suggest omitting 'our brazen age' allowing the 'this brazen age' to provide the fullness of meaning...

of violence
and wars.

EXCELLENT POETRY!

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_circumsolar_*
post Jan 5 06, 11:49
Post #9

wow, sorry guys for being awol - i'm just buzzing past and want to say thanks for all the kind comments!

did want to keep poets as a plural - since there are so many of us, lol

where smirking politicians squirm
while raping Ceres, as she turns,
with manic, phallic, steel-eyed worms.

now i'd call that a definite improvement so thanks Jox and Amethyst for that help, and Amethyst - wow, what a compliment  blush.gif
James - weigh in whenever, don't hold back... we all need to see with others' eyes.  wave.gif

Cleo  highfive.gif
typo s/n skylines d*mn! good catch, girl, now i've gotta go see where else this might be posted with that typo  blush.gif

where poets' worlds are justified; You could also say 'words' instead of 'worlds'
well that's how this one was before i messed with it, thinking (y'all understand i get tied up in knots thinking) that worlds made for a broader image, words a more confined one. steel-eyed was sort of an allusion - okay, we get the raping and the phallic references, so steel seemed justified as the drills are made from it... the 'eyed' part (guess i was being a bit erm - well it's the phallus thing again and the opening to the urethra - didn't i put that politely? lolol So the drills are like giant steel phalluses raping the earth.

i've missed so much!
Jan

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:02

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: