she’ll work no more -
lifeless, silent,
vacant shell.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Toumai_*
post Dec 12 05, 12:36
Post #2

Hi Nina

Excellent metaphor for control. Of course, it can be either sex that is wound up to dance to the tune but it works particularly well for the doll image. Very concise and grim.

Clockwork doll
with painted smile;  --- chilling
turn the key -
wind her up.

Make her dance
to your chosen tune;
sit and watch
her perform for you.  --- do you need the "for you"? often the powerful control likes to show-off his power to others?

Over and over
repeated show,
till mechanical motions
wear her down.  --- grind her down ?

Something snaps --- punctuation? (colon or semi-c ?)
she’ll work no more -
lifeless, silent,
empty shell.  --- (and you could link into Cathy's latest there) Hide.gif

Fran

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 12 05, 13:04
Post #3

Hi Nina,

Suggestions: [+]{-}(comments)

"Clockwork Doll

Fair or otherwise, the title immediatly makes me think of "A Clockwork Orange" with all its bizarre violence etc.

Clockwork doll
with painted smile; (V good)
turn the key -
wind her up. (Clever word-play)

Make her dance
to your {chosen} tune; (That does leave this line more cliche but "chosen" is unnecessary...)
sit {and}[to] watch ("X and Y" is almost always incorrect, despite being said often. The person it sitting to watch her; they are not unassociated things as "and" suggests).
her perform for you.

Over and over
repeated show, (V clever)
till mechanical motions (More clever still)
wear her down.

Something snaps
she’ll work no more -
lifeless, silent,
empty shell. (cliche)

(I felt this verse was important but might be said a little better? Maybe just differently)

Suggestion:

She snaps!
She'll work no more -
lifeless, silent
dead doll.

Or:

She snaps!
She'll work no more -
lifeless, silent
no living dolll.

Thanks Nina - very good. Depressing (esp after reading GL's poem) but very good.

J.

Guest_Nina_*
post Dec 12 05, 13:30
Post #4

Hi Fran

>F>Excellent metaphor for control. Of course, it can be either sex that is wound up to dance to the tune but it works particularly well for the doll image. Very concise and grim.

Thank you.  Indeed you are right, either sex can be wound up to dance the tune and the doll could be male or female.

Make her dance
to your chosen tune;
sit and watch
her perform for you.  --- do you need the "for you"? often the powerful control likes to show-off his power to others?

I think in this instance I'll keep for you in because even if the person controlling is showing of his power to others, he still wants the "doll" to perform for him not others.

Over and over
repeated show,
till mechanical motions
wear her down.  --- grind her down ?

again I think I'll stay with wear her down.

Something snaps --- punctuation? (colon or semi-c ?)
she’ll work no more -
lifeless, silent,

Thanks, it needs a colon, somehow I overlooked it.

>F>empty shell.  --- (and you could link into Cathy's latest there)

LOL, I guess it could.  A cheerful bunch of poems posted today  :)

Nina

Guest_Nina_*
post Dec 12 05, 13:41
Post #5

Hi J

Suggestions: [+]{-}(comments)

"Clockwork Doll
>F>Fair or otherwise, the title immediatly makes me think of "A Clockwork Orange" with all its bizarre violence etc.

ah well I've never seen A Clockwork Orange.  I did however have a picture in my head from the scene in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang where the family are pretending to be clockwork toys.

Clockwork doll
with painted smile; (V good)
turn the key -
wind her up. (Clever word-play)

thank you

Make her dance
to your {chosen} tune; (That does leave this line more cliche but "chosen" is unnecessary...)

can I get away with the cliche then?

sit {and}[to] watch ("X and Y" is almost always incorrect, despite being said often. The person it sitting to watch her; they are not unassociated things as "and" suggests).

Urmm, I'm not convinced. Plus it doesn't sound right.

Over and over
repeated show, (V clever)
till mechanical motions (More clever still)
wear her down.

thanks again

Something snaps
she’ll work no more -
lifeless, silent,
empty shell. (cliche)

(I felt this verse was important but might be said a little better? Maybe just differently)

Suggestion:

She snaps!
She'll work no more -
lifeless, silent
dead doll.

Or:

She snaps!
She'll work no more -
lifeless, silent
no living dolll.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm not keen on she beginning the first line and the second.

I also wanted a sense of emptiness rather than death as in dead doll.  No living doll just reminds me of the Cliff Richard song.  Woudl replacing shell with husk be less of a cliche?

>J>Thanks Nina - very good. Depressing (esp after reading GL's poem) but very good.

Sorry about that.  Mind you, not much could be more depressing or harder to read than GL's poem.  It didn't help reading the two Cathy posted this morning either.

Thanks very much.

Nina

Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 12 05, 15:31
Post #6

Hi Nina,

I can truly understand what you are expressing.  The emptiness left after
an emotionally draining situation makes you feel as worn-down as the doll.

Clockwork doll
with painted smile;
turn the key -
wind her up.

Make her dance
to your chosen tune;

You could also use: 'to chosen tune' or 'to your tune'.

sit and watch  'quietly watch'?
her perform for you. I would omit 'for you'.

Over and over
repeated show,
till mechanical motions
wear her down.

Alternative:

Over and over,
repeated motions;
till mechanicals
let her down.

Something snaps  'Mechanism' snaps? or 'Workings snarl'? maybe
she’ll work no more -
lifeless, silent,
empty shell.

'poised, silent,
lifeless shell.'

I like the implications of the last stanza. Makes much sense to me.  Use or lose the suggestions as you see fit ...
*smiles*

Cathy

Guest_Nina_*
post Dec 12 05, 17:46
Post #7

Hi Cathy

>C>I can truly understand what you are expressing.  

thank you

>C>The emptiness left after an emotionally draining situation makes you feel as worn-down as the doll.

It does indeed.

>C>You could also use: 'to chosen tune' or 'to your tune'.

I probably would have used dance to your tune but inserted chosen because I thought it was a cliche.

sit and watch  'quietly watch'?
her perform for you. I would omit 'for you'.

thanks but quietly watch gives me the wrong image.

I think I prefer to keep for you in.

Alternative:

Over and over,
repeated motions;
till mechanicals
let her down.

thanks for the suggestion but it loses the alliteration I had and changes the meaning.  She is being worn down/ worn out by having to repeat the mechanical motions rather than being let down by the mechanicals.

'Mechanism' snaps? or 'Workings snarl'? maybe

This limits my meaning.  With "something snapped" it could be mechanical or psychological.

'poised, silent,
lifeless shell.'

poised gives the image of being composed, balanced, ready which isn't the idea I want to convey.  Once something snaps she is anything but composed and balanced.

>C>I like the implications of the last stanza. Makes much sense to me.  Use or lose the suggestions as you see fit ...

Thank you very much and thanks also for taking the time and trouble to offer suggestions, much appreciated even if I don't use most of them.

Nina

Psyche
post Dec 14 05, 10:34
Post #8

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Nina !  :sun:

Hey, this runs similar to Stone Statue !! Are you trying to tell us something?
About yourself?  Sorry... never mind my "kitchen psychology", as my husband used to call it...  :blush21:

I love Clockwork Doll, brilliant !!
Don't have any nits at all. It's perfect just as it is. For some reason it reminds me a little of the story of the paper ballerina, who falls into the fire... can't put my finger on it, but there's some relationship about "winding down" and "falling into the red hot coals"....  :)

Anyway, another great poem, Nina !! Congrats from the heart !
Hugs,
Sylvia  :turtle:

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Dec 14 05, 12:05
Post #9

Hi Nina,

The title, clockwork doll, conjured the ballarina music box.

Regarding the last stanza:  it would be a plus if the first word were more specific.  Mechanically speaking the usual item that snaps in a windup mechanism is the mainspring, and next likely is the stem between the key and spring.  The choice becomes more binding when you also desire a human characteristic such as patience to snap.

Perhaps first line might be: Spirit snaps, or Endurance snaps?

The word "snap" is bold and commands attention.  A simple comma denoting "and" should suffice for line end.

The second line might be: she works no more— or she moves no more—?

Last line might be: broken shell, or static shell?

Original for reference:
Something snaps
she’ll work no more -
lifeless, silent,
empty shell.

Happy penning

Don   dove.gif    blueorn.gif

Guest_Nina_*
post Dec 15 05, 17:02
Post #10

Hi Sylvia

>S>Hey, this runs similar to Stone Statue !! Are you trying to tell us something?
About yourself?  Sorry... never mind my "kitchen psychology", as my husband used to call it...

nah, I'm not trying to say anything about myself, just relate an image that came into my mind.  

>S>I love Clockwork Doll, brilliant !!

Thank you very much

>S>Don't have any nits at all. It's perfect just as it is. For some reason it reminds me a little of the story of the paper ballerina, who falls into the fire... can't put my finger on it, but there's some relationship about "winding down" and "falling into the red hot coals"....  

Sounds like a lovely story.  If you have a link or more details, I'd love to read it.

>S>Anyway, another great poem, Nina !! Congrats from the heart !

thank you very much.

Nina

Guest_Nina_*
post Dec 15 05, 17:08
Post #11

Hi Don

>D>The title, clockwork doll, conjured the ballarina music box.

Yes, it could well be the ballerina music box.

>D>Regarding the last stanza:  it would be a plus if the first word were more specific.  Mechanically speaking the usual item that snaps in a windup mechanism is the mainspring, and next likely is the stem between the key and spring.  The choice becomes more binding when you also desire a human characteristic such as patience to snap.

Perhaps first line might be: Spirit snaps, or Endurance snaps?

I'm not sure that I want to use quite such a specific human characteristic.

>D>The word "snap" is bold and commands attention.  A simple comma denoting "and" should suffice for line end.

thanks, will consider the comma

>D>The second line might be: she works no more— or she moves no more—?
again, I'll consider this.

>D>Last line might be: broken shell, or static shell?

Static shell wouldn't work.  Broken shell changes the meaning slightly.  An empty shell indicates there is nothing left inside.

thanks very much for popping in and offering suggestions

Nina

Psyche
post Dec 15 05, 17:30
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Hi again, Nina !!  :snowflake:

I'll try to find the story of the paper ballerina, my brain is an empty shell too... methinks there was a lead soldier in the story, who was in love with the paper ballerina, and they both end up in the fire....  :(  :speechless:   One melts and the other is gone in a flash, can't remember in what order.

I know someone who'd put you straight, that's Grace !!!

Sort of story we were fed as kids, probably by Grimm or the other one...  :oops:  :upside:

By the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with using "cliches" when they're well chosen, as yours is. Another time, when I'm less busy, I'll look up famous poets who used cliches...  :laugh:    The word itself is from the French, anyway, so don't give it a thought !!!   Jester.gif

Hugs,
Sylvia  :dove:

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Dec 16 05, 00:49
Post #13

Thanks Sylvia

I may google the story to see if I can find it.

>S>By the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with using "cliches" when they're well chosen, as yours is. Another time, when I'm less busy, I'll look up famous poets who used cliches...      The word itself is from the French, anyway, so don't give it a thought !!!  

Thank you.  It says what I want so I'm very tempted to leave it

Nina

Arnfinn
post Dec 22 05, 06:51
Post #14

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

No suggestions, Nina.

You know me,I read a poem, then see what I get out of the meaning. I get the meanining very well here. Life is mechanical-- break the spring. AND...

We should not let this happen.

Lot of wisdom here. :)

John  :troy:  :wizard:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Dec 22 05, 07:24
Post #15

Hi John

>J>No suggestions, Nina.

Thank you

>J>You know me,I read a poem, then see what I get out of the meaning. I get the meanining very well here. Life is mechanical-- break the spring. AND...

sometimes that is true - every day is the same old routine, that can wear a person down.

>J>We should not let this happen.

indeed not

>J>Lot of wisdom here

thank you and thanks also for your thoughts.

Nina

Cyn
post Jan 3 06, 01:35
Post #16

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 145
Writer of: Poetry

QUOTE(Nina @ Dec. 12 2005, 08:06)

Hi Nina
Some very minor suggestions to take or leave

Clockwork doll
with painted smile;
turn the key -
{and}wind her up.  (it's a rhythm thing for me)

Make her dance
to your chosen tune;
sit and watch
{she'll} perform for you.

Over and over
repeated show,
till mechanical motions
{wind} her down.  (I like this to play against wind her up)

Something snaps
she’ll work no more -
{a}lifeless, silent,
empty shell.[/b]

Like I said, take it or leave it. I realize I am coming late to the party

Cyn

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 3 06, 01:55
Post #17

Hi Cyn

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and make suggestions.  I'll certainly give them some consideration.

Nina

Cybele
post Jan 3 06, 06:11
Post #18

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hi Nina, hsdance.gif

After a prolonged absence I am now trying to catch up with all I have missed, and one such was this lovey piece.

I love the title. It sums up the whole poem. So many women are trapped in such relationships, their originality stolen by responsibility and control. They forget the person they once were, that shining little star that first attracted the attentions of this domineering man.

The story Sylvia is referring to if I remember rightly was a ballet called the Tin Soldier and the Paper Ballerina.

I think it was also the basis for the film The Red Shoes with Moira Shearer.

No nits from me. I enjoyed reading this very much Nina.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 3 06, 07:31
Post #19

Hi Grace

>G>After a prolonged absence I am now trying to catch up with all I have missed, and one such was this lovey piece.

Good luck with catching up but look after your back.

>G>I love the title. It sums up the whole poem. So many women are trapped in such relationships, their originality stolen by responsibility and control. They forget the person they once were, that shining little star that first attracted the attentions of this domineering man.

exactly.  They become a wife and mother and lose their own identity.  The person they once were gets lost somewhere along the way

>G>The story Sylvia is referring to if I remember rightly was a ballet called the Tin Soldier and the Paper Ballerina.

Thanks, well remembered.

>G>I think it was also the basis for the film The Red Shoes with Moira Shearer.

I vaguely remember the title.

>G>No nits from me. I enjoyed reading this very much Nina.

Thank you and I'm pleased that for once I've written a poem that you enjoyed instead of sending scuttling behind the settee.

Nina

Cybele
post Jan 3 06, 08:17
Post #20

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hmm, Yes well Nina, huh.gif

Immediately after reading this, I found

DEATH COMES A'CALLING  chilly.gif  medusa.gif  ghostface.gif zombie.gif

So we are back to square one, with me a bundle of nerves again! LOL.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 16:06

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: