IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Venus and Mars, (Spenser stanzas)
Guest_MFK_Buckley_*
post Nov 26 05, 14:16
Post #1

what he said only she said first. F

Befriending you was freezing over hell --
my respite, like you freed me from desire.
But I am more than I was then and tell
far fewer lies, my wantonness retired.
I didn’t try to please you and conspired
against pursuit but clearly, you could see
I was amusing. Somehow it’s transpired
I’m fancying how you and I might be.
It’s funny, but I’m hoping you’re in love with me.
A friend like you was vision of sweet hell --
no respite, your cantankerous desire
was more than I had known. Back then I'd tell
a few more lies; my wanderlust's retired.
I didn’t try to chase since you conspired
your own pursuit and which, despite the shrew,
I found amusing. Somehow it’s transpired --
me hankering that you and I might do.
It’s funny though, I think that I'm in love with you.

MFK Buckley

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Merlin
post Nov 26 05, 16:00
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 66
Writer of: Poetry

Let me be the first to welcome you to MM, Fran.  I'm still somewhat lurking in the shadows, but coming out more and more.

The others, I'm sure, will extend a hearty welcome as well.  They may recognize that we know each other, considering this posting and my own "Mars & Venus" in a different thread.  This is the originating volley, my was the answer.  Fran and I, along with Heartsong Sue, have done a number of series and volleys, each one was thrilling to us, and hopefully also to our audience.  One particular series of sonnets is to be included in an anthology slated for publication in 2006.

It's wonderful to have you here.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Guest_MFK_Buckley_*
post Nov 27 05, 00:25
Post #3

Thank you for your gracious welcome Merlin. Forgive me if I sounded presumptuous and required explanation; I was just jesting. Nice to see your pair up there again. F

Guest_Nina_*
post Nov 27 05, 00:56
Post #4

Hi Fran

A very warm welcome to MM.  I hope you will enjoy spending time here and sharing your poetry.  If you have any questions about MM, please don't hestitate to ask me. You can PM (private message)  me by clicking on the send msg button at the bottom of this post.

I don't really know anything much about this form.  Is it always done from a he said/she said perspective using the same end rhymes?  Very interesting.  

I like the way that despite themselves these two fall in love, makes a refreshing change from the usual love poem.

Thanks for the read

Nina

Guest_MFK_Buckley_*
post Nov 27 05, 01:25
Post #5

Thank you Nina, I appreciate your welcome. The form is called a Spenserian stanza. The he said/she said and duplicate end rhymes was simply a convention I adopted to underscore the very different parallel experiences a man and a woman can have at the same time. Merlin took up the challenge with his own Mars & Venus volley, same constraints. Crazy the way some folks have fun, tis true! F

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 27 05, 09:59
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Fran and a warm WELCOME TO MM! Newbie.gif PartyFavor.gif Balloons.gif

I'll assume the Spenserian pattern you refer to is from the sonnet - here shown as: ABABBCBCC.

I've just commented on Eric's piece and this one is so complimentary - but definitely your own!  grinning.gif

I have no nits at all - I enjoyed every word.  As I mentioned in Merlin's poem, the same holds true here:

I admire the way that you took each stanza and melded them together, each a complete story, with the same end words but a completely different meaning (in some cases).

We really are made of different molds, aren't we Fran?  laugh.gif

Cheers!
~Cleo  :pharoah2

P.S. I really enjoyed the phrases:

freezing over hell

wantonness retired

and

wanderlust's retired

ballet.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Nov 27 05, 11:24
Post #7

Hi Fran  :wave:

Another warm welcome to MM. I haven't been around as much as I would like recently, but I creep in and read as often as I can. I saw Merlin's poem when he posted and it's lovely to see your work as the inspiration. Both are very cleverly put together and tremedous fun to read.

I shall look forward to more of your poetry.  :cheer:

Fran (the other one)

Guest_MFK_Buckley_*
post Nov 27 05, 21:21
Post #8

Thank you for the lovely welcome Cleo and Fran. It was fun weaving two desperately disparate depictions of the same story with the end rhyme constraints. Delighted you appreciated them. I never met a Fran I didn't like, what fun! F

heartsong7
post Dec 16 05, 13:13
Post #9

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 70
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Merlin

Hi Fran...
Interesting and challenging premise and scheme.
You have made it shine.
A fine reply to Merlin's.
Sue

·······IPB·······

Forgiveness is the fragrance
the violet sheds
on the heel
that has crushed it.

MM Award Winner

Guest_MFK_Buckley_*
post Jan 3 06, 21:29
Post #10

Thanks Sue! I've come to enjoy the challenge of the repeated end rhymes. Glad to have you look in! F

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 00:35

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: