Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seeking a home, Hoping to find a warm place to write.
Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Mar 9 06, 17:50
Post #1

wave.gif I have been looking for a comfortable forum to write and call home. One where work is considered seriously with helpful critique given in a guiding manner and not to belittle the author.  yinyang.gif

Having spent some time looking over Mosaic Musings, it seems to be just what I've been looking for. I'm also an artist who has lost direction and knowing I can post artwork here has also given me incentive to become a member.  Artist.gif

I look forward to meeting everyone and making new friends.  GroupHug.gif

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Mar 9 06, 18:02
Post #2

Hi Rosemerta

Firstly a very warm welcome to MM.  If you have any questions or problems please don't hesitate to ask.  You can send me a PM (private message) by clicking on "send msg" at the bottom of this post.  I know it can feel quite daunting and confusing when you first join a site and it takes a while to find your way around.

>R>I have been looking for a comfortable forum to write and call home. One where work is considered seriously with helpful critique given in a guiding manner and not to belittle the author.

You have come to the right place and I hope you do find it comfortable and homely here and that what we offer in critique is what you are looking for.

I look forward to reading your work and interacting with you.

Nina

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 9 06, 18:03
Post #3

Hi Rosemerta,

I've been to a few sites and if you are serious this is the place.  Well, not too serious because we like to have fun too.  It is unlikely you will find anyone belittling anyone here.  If it seems like it, then reconsider, because it probably just seems like it.

I may be the first to welcome you to MM which is among the best available. I am certain moderators will say hello and offer help of any kind you might need.  Navigation is my problem here.  I keep losing my compass or it's over the North Magnetic Pole.  It all falls into place and there are activities galore or you can stand beside the parade and watch along with me.

This is a candid and friendly group who aren't too shabby at poetry as a pastime.

Welcome

Don (Holmes)

Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Mar 9 06, 18:21
Post #4

Thank you both for such a warm welcome. I'm sure it will take me a little while to gain my bearings. I was wondering how to find out information on items such as the 'helmets?' and 'tiles'.

I'm not sure if I understood right.. Is there a place where we are to post our first work? Thanks for any help given.

Guest_Nina_*
post Mar 9 06, 18:34
Post #5

Hi

If you are posting a free-verse poem then post it in Seren's:  http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....SF;f=51

If it is a form poem, then post in Hermes and it is helpful if you could mention the form in the title.  http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....SF;f=50

there are other forums you can also post in but the above are the two main poetry crit forums.

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 9 06, 19:01
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Rosemerta and WELCOME TO MM!Newbie.gif PartyFavor.gif Balloons.gif

There are many forums here for writers who like challenges or strictly like to stick with either critiquing forums for both poetry and prose and exhibition forums for both as well. In the ACROPOLIS, we do weekly/bi-weekly and monthly challenges so if you like to be inspired by impulse, that would be the forum to investigate. At the top of the page you'll see a red link that says:
VISIT OUR NEW ALTERNATIVE FORUM INDEX HERE AND BOOKMARK THIS URL TODAY! If you click on that link, it gives you a picture display and click links to the general forums - it is helpful for newbies.  :guitar:

If you click on this link, you will be redirected to our information category - where you can read our latest site news, FAQ's and such. You can also just post your questions here in this 'tile' (this is our term for 'thread'),  :wizard2:  or send any of our staff a PM (in the link I referenced above (VISIT OUR NEW ALTERNATIVE FORUM INDEX) there is a list of all the staff by membername where you can just click the names and it will bring you into our profiles. You can also click on the team list link at the bottom of this forum (near our calendar) to access the moderators of MM too. Many ways to slice and dice our options.  :teacher:

Firstly, may I ask what your preference is with writing? Do you like to write poetry, prose, both? If poetry, free verse or form? Do you like to respond to images/paintings? Artist.gif

Anxious to learn more! You've come to the right place.

Welcome! glitter.gif
~Cleo  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Mar 9 06, 19:38
Post #7

Wow! You have so many wonderful options and I am also drawn in by all the great graphics here. I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time in this forum.

You asked what I am interested in. I never wrote any poetry until a couple of years ago when a friend encouraged me to try it out. I do some rhyme but mostly freeform. I like writing prose, mostly in short story form. I'm still trying to figure out proper terms for writing but mostly I have trouble with punctuation, tense, POV, and spelling.

I was an art teacher but have been forced to teach computers instead. Its been a long time since I've done anything myself but am interested in learning more about that part of this site.

Thanks for all the helpful information. I do believe I'm going to like it here.  :cheer:

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 9 06, 21:04
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Why thanks very much Rose. rose.gif

I designed the 'original skin' when we first went live with the forum 2 1/2 years ago, then I re-designed and tweaked the colors on the HomeSkin which is most likely the one you are using (the one that is the board default). The other skins I got from the Ikonboard skins sites with the exception of the four large print ones.

I love to design the look and feel of the site but have limited experience - though I am learning a BUNCH in the process. We actually have several artists at MM so perhaps you all can help us with new ideas and chapbook imagery?  cool.gif

We are planning to convert to Invision Power Board and we've got a test site open now for all our members to PLAY around. I like variety so I've loaded 13 or 14 skins there as well, LOL.gif so hopefully you'll tell us which ones you like and start a trend. We want to make sure that we give enough notice and allow for playing and geting familiar with the IPB before we actually announce a conversion. More  to come on that in a PM I'll send this weekend. Read.gif

Most of our members actually are newbies of varying degrees to writing. I have been writing for 4 years, poetry first and I only started writing prose after the start of this site. Long story for another time...  upside.gif  oops.gif  grinning.gif

I am the opposite, I like form poetry (as a learning tool) and now find free verse very complicated to write for some reason. Stonehenge is our short story forum.

SOme of our members will focos on punctuation  cop.gif  the PP - Punctuation Police, myself included, and spelling but some will focus on meaning and POV - we have a good mix of styles here in the manner that they interact. Very individually unique.  :hsdance:

It may be helpful to us as critters to know what you would like to receive in a critique so we can offer the best assitance for you. After a short while, we'll get to know you but in the beginning we may need some 'hints' to steer us in the right direction.

There are no wrong answers or responses - everyone always comes away with something learned. Most if not all our members are sensitive to others' and offer solid, friendly feedback so I think you'll like it here.

The help button in the upper right corner of the forum may be of some use to you. I've tried to post FAQ's there as well as in our FAQ forum.

Again - let us know what you desire.....

Cheers cheer.gif
Lori  princess.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Mar 10 06, 01:05
Post #9

Hi again Rose

If you like writing prose you should take a look at our forum for prose/short stories http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....=SF;f=8

We could do with more activity in this forum.

If you are looking for inspiration we have plenty of challenges in Acropolis to tempt your muse. http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....=SR;f=8

The best way of seeing what is happening is to click on "Latest Posts" at the top of the page.

I hope you are very happy here.

Nina

Ephiny
post Mar 10 06, 06:06
Post #10

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41

Hi Rosemerta wave.gif

Lovely to meet you!!  I hope you will enjoy it here..this is a fabulous website and definately one which it is possible to call home :)

Looking forward to reading your work cheer.gif  :sings:

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Mar 10 06, 14:42
Post #11

Hi Rosemerta

Another warm welcome to MM   rose.gif GroupHug.gif

This is the warmest "in depth" site I've found in my (admittedly brief) experience.  I shall very much look forward to reading some of your stories and poems - and seeing your artwork when you can present some.

I've only been writing for a few years and poetry only caught me 18 months ago. We're all learning together and all have our own interests and needs.  If you let critters know what you are seeking they will try to help. Everyone here is really friendly.

Fran Reindeer.gif

JLY
post Mar 10 06, 20:00
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Rosemerta;
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!
Over the last few years I have been a member of various poetry groups and had mixed reviews about each of them.
However, MM is the one place where I feel totally at ease and very comfortable. Everyone here provides only the most positive of comments and we all want each other to achieve their highest level of success.
Comments, suggestions and recommendations for improvement are much desired and always seriously considered here.
I guarantee that you will find everyone to be very friendly and helpful.
Regards,
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Mar 10 06, 21:06
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hello Rosemerta, and welcome to MM...

Mosaic Musings has a wealth of various forums to stir the muse and delight and challenge the senses. I look forward to reading your works and learning from and with you!

Best Regards, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Mar 11 06, 00:45
Post #14

Oh, my! I was watching my grandson this evening and have been overwhelmed by the warm responses I found here when I was able to return.

You've all been so helpful already, yet I still have a thousand and one questions floating around in my head. It's been a long time since I've been this excited about joining a new group. The positive energy here is so refreshing.

I hope ya'll don't mind if I ask a bunch of questions. Just let me know if I'm geting carried away.  hsdance.gif

candle.gif I wasn't sure if I understoon about the Invision Power Board. First of all, what is it? Secondly, is this someplace I should be looking at now?

candle.gif I noticed on one of the threads...err....tiles(?) that is said 29 days left. Does that mean that it will be deleated after 29 days? (including any work we post)

candle.gif When I was first looking over the site I noticed a few people adding their revisions as a new response. Is this common practice or should we change the original posting? What is the better way to go here?

I did look over a few of the challenges and am still a little confused but perhaps I was trying to take in too much for one day. I was impressed with the high quality of writing.  blush.gif I feel a little intimitaded to post as am far below what I see as a great standard here.

Thank you all for making me feel so welcomed and for all your help.  lovie.gif

Guest_Nina_*
post Mar 11 06, 01:15
Post #15

Hi Rose

I wasn't sure if I understoon about the Invision Power Board. First of all, what is it? Secondly, is this someplace I should be looking at now?

At the moment this site uses Ikonboard.  However Ikonboard no longer offers technical support so Cleo (Lori) and Peter (the site owners) are looking at alternative options. IPB is the one they are thinking of changing to.  Lori has set up a test site for us to play around with

http://invisiontest.mosaicmusings.net/index.php

I noticed on one of the threads...err....tiles(?) that is said 29 days left. Does that mean that it will be deleated after 29 days? (including any work we post)

We call the threads tiles to fit in with the mosaic theme (though either word is understood).  I'm puzzled by the 29 days left notification.  Tiles aren't normally deleted.  You can subscribe to receive email notification of replies to tiles and that does have a date limit.

When I was first looking over the site I noticed a few people adding their revisions as a new response. Is this common practice or should we change the original posting? What is the better way to go here?

If you revise one of your poems following suggestions by critters, the preferred way to do so is to edit the original post and place the revised version above the original, labelling both so readers know which is the latest version to read.

Nina

Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Mar 11 06, 01:24
Post #16

I wasn't sure how long you could make a post so am adding this seperate from my last one here.

[ It may be helpful to us as critters to know what you would like to receive in a critique so we can offer the best assitance for you. After a short while, we'll get to know you but in the beginning we may need some 'hints' to steer us in the right direction. ]

I suppose I should explain a few things about myself first. I use to belong to the SCA (a medieval reenactment group) where we spoke 'foresoothly' most of the time. I tend to do a lot of pieces using much of this language... and sometimes I slip into it without realizing it. I have learned from past experience that most people don't care for it but I write it for myself and for those who do like that style. Sometimes suggestions make good sense and sometimes I've had people wanting me to get rid of it. I hope no one will take offense if I don't always take their advice (when it comes to keeping to the original flavor of the piece.)

I was a storyteller before I tried writing poetry and much of this (probably too much) carries over to which many of my poems tend to be a little long. Some like that, most don't so I consider that a matter of taste.

What I have learned from others is that I have a lot of faults that I need help with. I'm dyslexic (long before most knew what it was) so never had much guidance in proper writing growing up (labled slow or lazy instead). Thus I am having to learn proper grammer, punctuation, and other aspects of writing that are considered important. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

I was awe struck by the artwork that I saw posted. Though I taught art for 17 years, I did very little of my own for reasons I couldn't go into here. My confidence was pretty much shattered. However, at one point I began doing funny creatures for my students (middle school) as part of lessons. Otherwise I'm more in line with Grandma Moses than the great masters. I doubt if I'll be ready to post there for quite awhile but I like the idea that I have that option if I ever gain the courage to do so.

I've also been told that my short stories tend to be long, I'm too wordy, do not understand the rules of POV and past/present tense, and tend to let the language of any dialouge slip into narrations. Add this to the other and you can see I need a lot of help.

I mostly write for therapy but I do want to improve. I'm currently going through several health issues so I may be around a lot and then suddenly disappear for a time. I hope that isn't a problem.

Thanks again for everything.
rose.gif

Guest_Nina_*
post Mar 11 06, 02:04
Post #17

Hi Rose

There is no restriction on length of posts.

Thank you for telling us a bit about yourself and your style of writing.

I hope no one will take offense if I don't always take their advice (when it comes to keeping to the original flavor of the piece.)

I don't think anyone takes offence if a writer doesn't take their advice. At the end of the day the poem is your work and you have to feel happy with what you've written.  If you like a suggestion, great but if not, don't use it.  It is always your choice to do as you wish with YOUR work.

People's styles are very different.  As we get to know members we get a better feel as to what they like and what they don't from a crit. I'm quite minimalistic in my work which doesn't suit everyone.  Many writers prefer the flow off added words and I try to tailor my crits accordingly.

What I have learned from others is that I have a lot of faults that I need help with. I'm dyslexic (long before most knew what it was) so never had much guidance in proper writing growing up (labled slow or lazy instead). Thus I am having to learn proper grammer, punctuation, and other aspects of writing that are considered important. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm kind of bristling at your comment that what you have learned from others is that you have lots of faults you need help with.  I disagree. Gaps in knowledge are not faults.  Here we each learn from each other and I have found that I have learnt as much if not more by critting others probably because it is much easier to look objectively at someone else's work.  We are all here to help each other and hopefully do so sensitively and constructively.

I'm sorry you had your confidence shattered over your art.  Destroying a person's self confidence in their creativity is a terrible thing to do.  I hope at some point you do feel able to share your pictures, I'm in awe of anyone who can paint.

I've also been told that my short stories tend to be long, I'm too wordy, do not understand the rules of POV and past/present tense, and tend to let the language of any dialouge slip into narrations. Add this to the other and you can see I need a lot of help.

I get the feeling you've been told a lot of negative things about your writing, most of it not very constructive or helpful.  I hope we can help you develop your skills and your confidence.

I mostly write for therapy but I do want to improve. I'm currently going through several health issues so I may be around a lot and then suddenly disappear for a time. I hope that isn't a problem.

I think many of us do find writing therapeutic.  I'm sorry you are going through several health issues and don't worry at all if you need to disappear for a time - so long as you come back again.  Quite a few members have done the same at various times.

Thanks for sharing

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Mar 11 06, 07:26
Post #18

Hi Rosemerta

I use to belong to the SCA (a medieval reenactment group) where we spoke 'foresoothly' most of the time. I tend to do a lot of pieces using much of this language... and sometimes I slip into it without realizing it. I have learned from past experience that most people don't care for it but I write it for myself and for those who do like that style. Sometimes suggestions make good sense and sometimes I've had people wanting me to get rid of it. I hope no one will take offense if I don't always take their advice (when it comes to keeping to the original flavor of the piece.)

We all have our pet likes and dislikes and no one will be offended if you decline a suggestion.

Quite a few site members are interested in historic cultures (not least Lori (Cleo) herself). At least one other member is involved in reenactment as a writer and "performer" (what would the correct term be? LOL). Egad! We may even pick up the lingo

Several of the poets are excellent rhymemasters and Ron (jgd), in particular, has a particular fondness for the "poetry of yore"

I was a storyteller before I tried writing poetry and much of this (probably too much) carries over to which many of my poems tend to be a little long. Some like that, most don't so I consider that a matter of taste.

Is it your taste? If so, stick with it - just cos some of us are minimalists doesn't mean everyone on the site has to be (how broing if we were all the same).

After 5 years of novel writing I am just beginning to get the hang of correct punctuation and grammer. We all help each other, but please say if we get too pernickity about it.

It's amazing how many very good writers do have some kind of dyslexia or similar. I wonder if the fact that reading and writing are so much more laborious means that one thinks far more about the process and therefore cares so much more?

We'll offer as much friendly, constructive help as we can and look forward to seeing you around whenever you can make it.

Fran

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 11 06, 12:50
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Rosemerta (is it Rose or Rosemerta) wave.gif

I believe Nina and Fran have answered some of your questions already so I'll skip to certain parts of your last post:

I suppose I should explain a few things about myself first. I use to belong to the SCA (a medieval reenactment group) where we spoke 'foresoothly' most of the time. I tend to do a lot of pieces using much of this language... and sometimes I slip into it without realizing it. I have learned from past experience that most people don't care for it but I write it for myself and for those who do like that style. Sometimes suggestions make good sense and sometimes I've had people wanting me to get rid of it. I hope no one will take offense if I don't always take their advice (when it comes to keeping to the original flavor of the piece.)

Good for you! Don't let others change your approach if it doesn't improve your message or makes you think it will change it too much.  I look forward to reading this style of yours as I too LOVE the wrirings and cultures from long ago. hsdance.gif I don't think you'll find any of our members who would be so analytical that they would make a post 'personal'. I call those type YAHOOS and we are lucky not to have them here. They wouldn't last long LOL.gif! We always say your work is your own and you can take or toss anything you wish in the replies you'll receive. We won't be offended.  mouse.gif

As is everything. cool.gif

Well, I would never use the wrd "faults", I would like to think one would say "areas of improvement" or "areas to learn more about"? Sounds like you had some YAHOOS giving you unconstructive critisms? The importance of any work that I read or write is for the message of it to be understood moreso that the proper mechanics. If you seek publication or want to enter contests then sure, we can offer guidance on those aspects too.

I was awe struck by the artwork that I saw posted. Though I taught art for 17 years, I did very little of my own for reasons I couldn't go into here. My confidence was pretty much shattered. However, at one point I began doing funny creatures for my students (middle school) as part of lessons. Otherwise I'm more in line with Grandma Moses than the great masters. I doubt if I'll be ready to post there for quite awhile but I like the idea that I have that option if I ever gain the courage to do so.

It's too bad that other people do what they do and can be so mean. I hate that! In time, you will know when you are ready and we'll all be here waiting to revel in your work!  cheer.gif  There are some artists here: Cathy, Jox, Aphrodite, LadyEvergreen and Cyn to name a few (Maryellen and Nina too I think).

I don't agree with a short story being too long and the rest we'll help with where we can.

No worries - we all have times where writing & MM interactions doesn't fit in - we'll be here when it can.  sun.gif

Cheers!
Cleo  princess.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Mar 12 06, 10:49
Post #20

I thank everyone for putting my mind at ease and for how quickly you have done that. I can easily see that I've stumbled into a wonderful world here. Though I met some wonderful people at other sites they all had too many 'yahoos' :p to hinder encouragement.

I posted my first short story here and Toumai was kind enough to give a review as one should be given. I feel I learned more in that one post than I have 20 elsewhere. Ya'll have me excited about writing again. Thank you!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 22:33

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: