back to our worlds: but in my heart
I know you’re always shining bright.
It's time we part - oh joyous sight.

One star then rose to center stage,
eclipsing night in jealous rage.

Revision #2 in pentameter

The Envious Star

I am hypnotized in a starstruck stance
such is the cadence of their graceful dance.
Whilst twinkles twinkle as if harmonized
in a starstruck stance I am hypnotized.

Transfixed with awe, twist and turning my neck
to gaze above the dark horizons deck,
in a crystal cool air I drop my jaw
twist and turning my neck, transfixed with awe.

Oh farewell joyous sight, it's time we part
back to our waiting worlds, but in my heart,
I know your always there to shine delight,
It's time we part, oh farewell, joyous sight.

Just then one furied star rose center stage,
eclipsing our fair night in jealous rage.

The Envious Star

This night in awe, I strain my neck,
above the dark horizon's deck
in crystal-air I drop my jaw,
I strain my neck this night in awe.

In starstruck stance I'm hypnotized
by twinkle-twinkle harmonized,
the cadence of their glowing dance
I'm hypnotized in starstruck stance.

Oh joyous sight its time to go
back to the world below, although
you're always there to shine delight
it's time to go, oh joyous sight...

Just then a star rose center stage
I think it burns in jealous rage.

Here's those the best of alternative endings:

just then the sun rose center stage
eclipsing night in jealous rage.

And as sunrise rose center stage
I felt its heat; a jealous rage.

and then one star rose center stage
today it burns with jealous rage

Ok, I've seen a few in loose sonnet(except for rhyme scheme) form. I can make the last stanza a quatrain but just thought I'd try it this way first. C&C welcome.

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates."

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Michelle
post Aug 7 07, 11:19
Post #2

Greek

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 29
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Terry,

I just love a starry night. You've done well with this form. I like 'ten thousand stars' myself. In S3L3, your should be you're.
Also in the couplet you might want to adjust for a smoother flow to:

Just then a star rose center-stage,
began to burn... in jealous rage.

my best,

Michelle

·······IPB·······

Terocon101
post Aug 7 07, 12:02
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 440
Referred By:Ephiny

Hi Michelle,

Cheers for that. I wasn't sure about L6, '..twinkle-twinkle' has that touch of humor which I like to include, your selection has been noted. thumbsup.gif

Your/you're.......I'm always making that mistake... bet you a fiver it wont be the last time either.

Ah the couplet, I have about ten different versions... all meaning the same thing, just cant decide yet. I still might re-write in S.Q like the rest of the poem.

Ok, back to work for me, and you too, LOL.

Thanks!!

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Aug 8 07, 09:16
Post #4

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Terocon,
I'll pass on whether "The Envious Star" is more sonnet-like or swap quatrain-like. In that it is a hybrid and hybrids usually carry the best characteristics of both parents...
I use much poetic license in my writings and have no reservations when others do too. I'd attribute the 10,000 stars to hyperbole (if anyone asks) although only about 3,000 are visible to the naked eye at a time.
I like the ring to "back to the world below, although".
I like Michelle's proposed 13th line although it might serve you well to post all your potential closing couplets.
Keep looking up!
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Mary Boren
post Aug 8 07, 12:20
Post #5

Creative Chieftain

Group: Bronze Member
Member No.: 420
Referred By:Kathy Earsman

wave.gif Hello Terry, pleased to meet you.

You have a nice command of rhyme & meter, and a clever take on the subject. I have only a few punctuation changes to suggest:
to gaze above horizon's deck
In addition to inserting a possessive apostrophe, I'd like to see you reword so you wouldn't have to leave out the article (the horizon's deck). I guess I'm more bothered than most by twisting the language to fit the meter.
in crisp, cool air I drop my jaw,
When you have two adjectives in a row, they should be separated by a comma. Incidentally, (but not a criticism), I'm not wild about two adjectives in a row, as I think verbs should do the heavy lifting in a poem.
by twinkle-twinkle harmonized,(or "ten-thousand twinkles harmonized)
If you're asking for votes here, count mine for twinkle-twinkle.
Oh joyous sight, it's time to go
back to the world below, although,
you're always there to shine delight,
No comma after although. (It's hard to see the strikethough sometimes.) Period or semicolon after delight.
iIt's time to go, oh joyous sight...
You seem to have trouble with its/it's, as a lot of people do. If it's a contraction (it is) then you need the apostrophe.
Just then a star's rise center-stage,
No comma after center-stage, and I wouldn't hyphenate it. Why switch tense in the last line -- begins to burn would be better. I think ellipses are way overused, but chalk that up to personal preference.

Good luck with this.

Mary

·······IPB·······

Mary Sullivan Boren
Connecting ... Even Yet
"There is in all things - a hidden wholeness." -Thomas Merton

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 8 07, 13:33
Post #6

Laureate Legionnaire

Hi Ron,

Cheers for dropping in.

I'll pass on whether "The Envious Star" is more sonnet-like or swap quatrain-like. In that it is a hybrid and hybrids usually carry the best characteristics of both parents...

Maybe the developer of this form could have the final word on this. I mean SQ and Cleo of course, the person(s) who invented the sonnet might be a little too busy.

I use much poetic license in my writings and have no reservations when others do too. I'd attribute the 10,000 stars to hyperbole (if anyone asks) although only about 3,000 are visible to the naked eye at a time.

Yup, I was aware of the exaggeration but I will indeed be claiming poetic license. I might even refer to Wordsworth's "ten thousand daffodils" if it comes to it.

I like the ring to "back to the world below, although".

I was hoping that would be ok, cheers.
I like Michelle's proposed 13th line although it might serve you well to post all your potential closing couplets.

I've posted a few of the better alternatives under the poem.

Thanks again Ron, your comments are mucho appreciated.

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 8 07, 14:13
Post #7

Laureate Legionnaire

Hi Mary,

HeHe, pleased to meet you too, I'm a fan of your poetry here at MM, so it's such a pleasure to read your thoughts on my writing.

to gaze above horizon's deck
In addition to inserting a possessive apostrophe, I'd like to see you reword so you wouldn't have to leave out the article (the horizon's deck). I guess I'm more bothered than most by twisting the language to fit the meter.

Will do on both the apostrophe and the insertion of that article. I thought I might get away with that blush21.gif

in crisp, cool air I drop my jaw,

When you have two adjectives in a row, they should be separated by a comma. Incidentally, (but not a criticism), I'm not wild about two adjectives in a row, as I think verbs should do the heavy lifting in a poem.

Comma between adjectives...that's news to me, thanks, as you probably know punctuation is a particularly weak point of mine, I'l remember that one though.
Ummm good thinking, I'll try introduce a verb to replace one of those adjectives. Wanna keep the alliteration though.

by twinkle-twinkle harmonized,(or "ten-thousand twinkles harmonized)
If you're asking for votes here, count mine for twinkle-twinkle.

Yup, that's two votes "twinkle-twinkle..."/two votes "ten thousand..." magictongue.png

Oh joyous sight, it's time to go
back to the world below, although,
you're always there to shine delight,

No comma after although. (It's hard to see the strikethough sometimes.) Period or semicolon after delight.

Will do.

iIt's time to go, oh joyous sight...

You seem to have trouble with its/it's, as a lot of people do. If it's a contraction (it is) then you need the apostrophe.

A kind understatement. smile.gif

Just then a star's rise center-stage,

No comma after center-stage, and I wouldn't hyphenate it. Why switch tense in the last line -- begins to burn would be better. I think ellipses are way overused, but chalk that up to personal preference.

The change of tense was accidental. I had so many alternative endings I posted that one without a second thought. I'm gonna change that couplet altogether.
Ellipsis, I've only begun to use these. Never thought much of them but they're definitely useful so I've been experimenting lately.

Ok, thanks for these very useful comments and crit. A good bit for me to ponder and a few things learned. Excellent

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 14 07, 14:56
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Terry. wave.gif

Welcome to the world of the hybrid Swap Quatrain! Kudos for your first effort. I am enjoying the sights from this vantage point! cloud9.gif I also don't think you need to end it in a quatrain as this is where the sonnet shines. I was fiddling with this inspiration of yours and want to suggest a possible change to pentameter however. No worries if you’re not inclined to go that way, but I've offered alternate suggestions for you to ponder below (in blue) as you wish.

Enjoyed!
~Cleo sun.gif

[add] {delete} (comment)

I strain my neck this night in awe. (feels a bit bumpy here and forced for form’s sake.)

This night I stand in awe and strain my neck
toward the dark horizon’s scattered deck
of crystal stratospheres, I drop my jaw
and strain my neck; this night I stand in awe.

In starstruck stance I'm hypnotized (star struck is 2 words)
I'm hypnotized in starstruck stance. (star struck is 2 words)

In star struck stance, I gaze so mesmerized
by twinkle-twinkle rhythms harmonized
to tempos of illumination’s dance;
I gaze so mesmerized in star struck stance.

back to the world below, although (a bit too much of internal rhyme back to back IMHO)

Oh joyous sight, I’m saddened I must go
back to the world below, but this I know
you'll always be there -- shimmering delight…
I’m saddened I must go, oh joyous sight.

just then the sun rose [taking] center stage
[intent to] eclipse night in jealous rage. *I like this alternate best of your options.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 15 07, 07:27
Post #9

Laureate Legionnaire

Hey Cleo,

Thanks for all your work on this one, I really appreciate it.

Although, I was wondering, since this is my first attempt, if pentameter is the norm for this form, I thought I read in Karnac that either penta or octa were recommended meters??

Since I'm not too fond of penta I went with the other?? I don't know why but I always prefer to be as brief as possible. Penta always seems kinda long-winded to me. I've heard that pentameter is the closest to the way we speak in everyday language and that is why its so popular, but I've just never taken to it. It seems kinda old-fashioned, I think it suits that archaic way of speaking like Shakespeare, Milton etc but to a lesser extent modern language.

LOL, I know I'm in the land of pentameter-worship, but this is just my opinion and my personal taste so its only important to me and applicable to my writing. I tend not to critique pentameter either as no doubt I'd be telling the author to trim it down a bit.

My dark secret is out. StarWars2.gif LOL

Ps. Nonetheless I'll take on board all your advice and consider revising.

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Mistral
post Aug 16 07, 01:35
Post #10

Assyrian

Member No.: 451
Referred By:Alan M Douglas

Hi Terry dear,

Enjoyed this, I did! I'm quite a sucker for night time scenes and thought it great that you did it in this form. When I've plucked up enough courage, I may try a Swap Quatrain as well as I quite enjoy reading them!

Hugs,
M

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 16 07, 08:52
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Terry,

The ones I've read vary in the meter - meter is not a requirement of this form, although tetrameter or pentameter is recommended. I've left it open to writer's choice. I recommend pentameter because of the hybrid nature of this particular poem as the sonnet is usually written in pentameter. I haven't read many sonnets where 'brief' is best as it's written more with a 'common way of speaking', so abbreviations are not something I recommend, but again, it's always your choice.

Looking forward to your further inputs and revisions should you be so inclined.

Cheers
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Aug 16 07, 10:00
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Terri,

You've really taken on a challenge to give birth to this Hybrid. I think the two forms are a powerful partnership and the outcome is a strong poetry form of its own... I just read through some of the other comments and will try not to repeat the basics... I do however like Lori's alternatives in meter. It's a thought...

Anyway, I will focus my comments and suggestions on your present draft of the poem and hopefully something left will help!

Best Wishes, Liz ...

The Envious Star

This is a powerful title. Before reading the poem, it gave me a multitude of meanings... as a metaphor, as a caption of little star jealous of the sun, or a love burning bright... Anyway, I think it is a strong title of good choosing.

Because L1 not only is your hook line to give the reader the edge to continue forward, but it is also a repeat line, I felt it opens on a weak note. It isn't a big problem, I believe it is the 'in' or I kept wanting to start with 'I stand in awe' and perhaps 'straining my neck" ( a double iamb) ... It feels a little awkward to do, strain someone neck above the dark ...

Some alternatives might be ...

This night of awe, I strain my neck
above a dark horizon's deck,
breath crystal-air and drop my jaw;
I strain my neck this night of awe.

or ...

I stand in awe, straining my neck
in crystal-air, then drop my jaw,
straining my neck ... I stand in awe.

Of course whatever is your thoguhts and intention! :)

This is a lovely stanza, infact, perhaps a switch ibetween S1/S2 .. this way the opening is the sight, and the second stanza shows the reaction, the scene from the narrators view... like ...

As you can see S2, sets the nighttime scene and allows you to continue with the first stanza in the place of S2 giving a more detail of the scene the narrator is surrounded by while still maintaining the awe and wonder in his/her tone of voice.

However, S2 is nit less to me I like the way it rolls off my tongue in a soft lullaby tone and expresses a fresh depiction of an old scene. Nicely done!

Yes this stanza too has a feel of nighttime rhymes and sleepy undertones like a lullaby 0 lovely... the only nit, although weak is in L2, perhaps ...

"back to the world below ... and though"

I think the meaning and twist of the final couplet is applaudable. However, I would like to offer a few alternatives to enhance the image of the sun rising, and the concept that it burns so hot and bright because it is jealous of the night stars that get swooned over... Hjmmmm yes... that is a lovely thought in itself.! :)

and burned the night with jealous rage.

Our morning star took center stage
her burning blaze just jealous rage.

however ... what you have is strong too ... these are just suggestions to enhance the image of the sun burning away the night out of jealousy. Great creative thinking and word working...

Hugs ,Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 16 07, 15:59
Post #13

Laureate Legionnaire

Hi Mistral,

Thanks, yes I love those brilliant nights when you just stand there in awe, but it is a little sore on the neck,lol.

A lot of my writing is with theimagination... but this one is from experience for sure.

Best Wishes

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 16 07, 16:07
Post #14

Laureate Legionnaire

Hey Cleo,

Ummm, yes your right. I suppose, since this is a sonnet/SQ hybrid, I should try to make it pentameter.

garfield.gif Does this mean there will be a lot of scansion ???

OK, I'll take it to the body-shop of poetical horrors, that is my writing desk and give it a shot.

Cheers!!

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 16 07, 16:46
Post #15

Laureate Legionnaire

Hi Liz,

Mucho gratias as always for your time and fab input. Loads of things for me to think about.

You've really taken on a challenge to give birth to this Hybrid. I think the two forms are a powerful partnership and the outcome is a strong poetry form of its own.

I'm glad you thought this a good attempt but as for 'giving birth', I think it was Ron's SQ/sonnet that inspired this response. I think his is in the SQ-chapbook thread.

.. I just read through some of the other comments and will try not to repeat the basics... I do however like Lori's alternatives in meter. It's a thought...

I'm gonna try to re-work something in penta, he said as he swallowed back the acidic taste of apprehension.

The Envious Star

This is a powerful title. Before reading the poem, it gave me a multitude of meanings... as a metaphor, as a caption of little star jealous of the sun, or a love burning bright... Anyway, I think it is a strong title of good choosing.

Cool, LOL, But now I'm hoping the poem lives up to the titles standards.

Because L1 not only is your hook line to give the reader the edge to continue forward, but it is also a repeat line, I felt it opens on a weak note. It isn't a big problem, I believe it is the 'in' or I kept wanting to start with 'I stand in awe' and perhaps 'straining my neck" ( a double iamb) ... It feels a little awkward to do, strain someone neck above the dark ...

Yup, my very first SQ line and it shows. Your suggestion later, of a stanza reshuffle is really growing on me.

Some alternatives might be ...

This night of awe, I strain my neck
breath crystal-air and drop my jaw;
I strain my neck this night of awe.

or ...

Will consider a revision here, with your suggestions to the fore, it is a bit dodgy as-is.

As you can see S2, sets the nighttime scene and allows you to continue with the first stanza in the place of S2 giving a more detail of the scene the narrator is surrounded by while still maintaining the awe and wonder in his/her tone of voice.

Great idea, to switch stanzas, will do.

Yes this stanza too has a feel of nighttime rhymes and sleepy undertones like a lullaby 0 lovely... the only nit, although weak is in L2, perhaps ...

"back to the world below ... and though"

Ummm, I get sentimentally attached to bits of poems sometimes. This is one of those times. bart.gif

I think the meaning and twist of the final couplet is applaudable. However, I would like to offer a few alternatives to enhance the image of the sun rising, and the concept that it burns so hot and bright because it is jealous of the night stars that get swooned over... Hjmmmm yes... that is a lovely thought in itself.! :)

Our morning star took center stage
her burning blaze just jealous rage.

Torture, thats the word for how I feel about this couplet. It has had so many different incarnations and none of them seem just right. I like your

That strange connection between the sun and night is a lot closer than previously.

Thanks a million for this. Now I have .

Best Wises

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Mary Boren
post Aug 17 07, 14:01
Post #16

Creative Chieftain

Starstruck is one word, Lori. Mr. Webster will back me up on this. wink.gif

Terry, I like your first alternative couplet best.

Mary

·······IPB·······

Mary Sullivan Boren
Connecting ... Even Yet

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 17 07, 18:48
Post #17

Laureate Legionnaire

Hi Mary,

Thanks, I'm just rewriting this in penta at the moment, slow going, and not really jiving for me yet. But your suggestion for the couplet is noted and the spelling of starstruck.

I should be posting a revision sometime in late 2015, at this rate. I hope you drop in for a look-see.

Best Wishes

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 23 07, 09:43
Post #18

Laureate Legionnaire

Hey Y'all JackBox.gif

Ok, I've done it, there's a lot of filler but it's been converted to pentameter. C&C welcome.

I'll just bump this up the thread que, lol, hey out of the way.

Best Wishes

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Mary Boren
post Aug 23 07, 11:01
Post #19

Creative Chieftain

I liked the tet version much better, Terry. The revision has some metrical flaws and, as you've acknowledged, is packed with filler.

-M.

·······IPB·······

Mary Sullivan Boren
Connecting ... Even Yet

MM Award Winner

heartsong7
post Aug 23 07, 11:06
Post #20

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 70
Referred By:Merlin

Hi Ter,
I admire your willingness to experiment with revision.... and that said, may I say, I much prefer your original version. The tetrameter makes it dance just like the stars.
Write on!
Sue

·······IPB·······

Forgiveness is the fragrance
the violet sheds
on the heel
that has crushed it.

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 19:56

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: