Wearing scarves of black,
they expend the attack;
scowls on each grim head,
fuel a sense of dread.

Darkness pulls daylight,
into a landscape of blight.
Eternity's sparkle abates,
as freedom deflates.
Words used (in order of appearance): azure, after, structure, ruthless, dock, scarf, head, pull, eternity, sparkle[/center]

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_ohsteve_*
post Aug 18 10, 18:36
Post #2

JLY, not a very comforting outlook here, but gloom and doom seem to be the rage on every front page and web site I fear. I think I will borrow your words and see what I can come up with. Glad to at least see you writing again my friend.

take care
Steve

JLY
post Aug 19 10, 06:26
Post #3

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Steve,
Sometimes reality is not always rosy. The words just took me to this dark, sad place.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Michelle
post Aug 23 10, 17:38
Post #4

Greek

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 29

Hi JLY,

this poem makes me think of war from the perception of the vanquished. I think this is very creative, given the word list. I like dark poems just as darkness is a part of living.
In this poem your images are very vivid to me. I not sure about the meter so I will leave that to less rusty hands. (smile)

my best,

Michelle

·······IPB·······

JLY
post Aug 24 10, 06:10
Post #5

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Michelle,
Thanks for taking the time to stop by. The words just seemed to take me down a dark road and I followed their path.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Aug 29 10, 22:54
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Wow John,

Although this is dark, it is also powerful. It brings the reader a moment of contemplation over hard truths. The title is a strong choice. On a dual level, it sets the core ingredient of the poets intent, while also offering some indication of outcome or closure. L1, in S1, is just enough to remind the reader of good times lost beneath the destruction and chaos of hate and war. A tinge- of the hope lost. It is what makes this poem strong - with narrators sense of doom.

Some minor offerings to follow, please use what might be helpful to you and discard what isn't.

Big Hugs Liz ...

EXTINGUISHED

Dawn's azure skies fade
after a merciless raid.
Hub's stately structure
no longer a firm fixture.

Masked from reality
by a radical depravity,
ruthless people dock
morality's time clock.

L2, perhaps - by radical depravity,
and I thought "time' in L4 wasn't necessary - it might give a stronger punch
as "morality's clock' ... to put more focus on morality while clock instills the intent of time.

Wearing scarves of black,
they expend the attack;
scowls on each grim head,
fuel a sense of dread.

In S2, Perhaps something stronger than 'wearing' - another word that might enhance the image of intentionally masking one's face - a sense of hiding ... even as simple as 'wrapped in scarves of black' which also gives that nice sound with black. In L2, I would suggest 'they dispursed their attack;

Darkness pulls daylight,
into a landscape of blight.
Eternity's sparkle abates,
as freedom deflates.

Maybe "Darkness draws daylight'

Over all, I really like this poem and its sense of 'tell it like it is' voice.

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 30 10, 11:46
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Liz,
Thanks for your introductory comments and then for your much right-on suggestions. The subject matter left me no choice but to make this a dark and serious piece. Sometimes we should not forget the tragedies in our lifetime so that we can possibly prevent them from happening again.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Aug 30 10, 15:49
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Hi John

It's good to see you posting again.

This is a dark, yet powerful poem. I have just a couple of suggestions fro this stanza.

Masked from reality
by [a] radical depravity,
ruthless people dock
morality's [time] clock.

I feel that 'time' is redundant because its folloewd by clock.

I also like Liz's suggestion of 'wrapped in scarves of black'

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 31 10, 05:21
Post #9

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Snow,
My creative juices are beginning to flow once again after a period of quiet reflection.

Your suggestions are helpful. You are right about the word "time"; it is a bit redundant.

I have some tweaking to do on this one and will post a revision in the near future.

Thanks for stopping by.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post Sep 5 10, 06:13
Post #10

Hi, JLY,

have commented on this over at Pandora's but just wanted to say again how much I admire your ability to produce such a strong piece from such tight restrictions as the ten word challenges.
Jim

JLY
post Sep 9 10, 05:43
Post #11

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Jim,
Thanks for your kind feedback.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:54

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: