Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nice to meet you all, New to the site
Guest_Rayn_*
post Jan 7 07, 12:06
Post #1

Hello everyone! Tyger suggested I join you all over here, and I'm very glad he did! It looks like a great site, and I look forward to learning from you and your work. I'm a grad student, so I won't be around as often as I'd like, but I really enjoy creative writing, and I know I have a lot of room for development there, so please be patient with me. If I don't respond right away, it's not because I don't want to!

I've been writing poetry and fiction for the last 15 years, but it's only within the last five years that I've begun really working at it, and only within the last year or so that I've begun to seek out critiques and learn how to develop myself as a writer. I'm so grateful for online writing forums; I'd still be locked in an 8th grade writing style otherwise! I will always appreciate any advice you have to offer. I write mostly free verse poetry, but some friends at another writing site got me started on more structured styles and that has been a great experience. I've never been bold enough to post any of my fiction. Perhaps I'll screw up my courage and try that here.

Well, I'm off to go enjoy your work then. See you around! wave.gif

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
AMETHYST
post Jan 7 07, 13:00
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Helly Rayn,

Welcome to Mosaic Musings! Glad to have you aboard. Your personal journey in writing really is quite close to my own. Almost identical and that helps me to find excitement in welcoming you as a member. I had been writing poetry and even prose for the longest time, but as a 9th grade drop out (and perhaps I didn't remember too much of what I learned before that) My style, as some expressed, had great potential but I needed to grow in my knowledge of grammar, poetic devices and other things to improve on it... And I too, thank God for online poetry sites where I have met and learned from GREAT and admirable poets and writers. Many have been professional teachers and accomplished poets. That is something, in my small existance of the world I would never have had the opportunity otherwise.

So pull up a lounge chair, a cup of coffee, tea or a beer and enjoy some wonderful participation at MM. We are all on our own journey and it is a great asset to have someone to share it with. As well as I bet we will be learning from you too! wink.gif

If you have any questions or need direction getting around, please feel free to send a Pm to any of our staff ... Including me! :)

Best Regards, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Jan 7 07, 14:28
Post #3

Welcome to MM Rayn! You've come to the right place to improve your writing skills. I've learned so much since coming here! And everyone is very friendly and fun to be around. I'm looking forward to interacting with you! Have any questions, just ask!

Cathy

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 7 07, 17:10
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

WELCOME TO MM Rayn! Newbie.gif PartyFavor.gif Balloons.gif

I hope Dennis is well and I'm glad he referred you to MM. mm.gif mm.gif

There's plenty to read and comment on here as you get acclimated to our 'tiles'. I've been writing for 4 years now (maily poetry) and like you, am grateful for online writing forums. It gave me my start! chef.gif It certainly sounds like you have the background experience with critiquing and being critiqued. Critique should be fun and should help the writer (not harm) and I hope you'll find that it is fun, friendly and helpful here.

Where are you from (and would you mind if I posted your state/country in your profile)? Is your first name "Rayn" -what a unique name! sun.gif

As we always say here, if you are seeking honest feedback, then you'll find it here. Always remember though, your works are your own and our suggestions are yours to take or toss. referee.gif

If you have any questions, please ask. mm.gif mm.gif

Cheers
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jan 7 07, 18:59
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

WELCOME TO MM RAYN sun.gif Guitar.gif dance.gif sings.gif

I love your name -- look forward to interacting with you and reading your work. Read.gif cloud9.gif

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Rayn_*
post Jan 7 07, 23:39
Post #6

Thanks for the warm welcome! To answer Cleo's questions:

Rayn is my screen name; I'm glad you like it. It's in honor of my baby brother (and sometimes writing partner) Ryan, and one of my favorite things, rain. I grew up as a desert girl, and let me tell you, there a few things more stirring than a good high country thunderstorm, and even fewer things as precious as water. I currently live in Utah, but I claim both Albuquerque, NM and Austin, TX as home. I was born in Austin, and though we moved away before I formed any memories, I went back for my undergrad and fell in love with the city. If I were a place on earth, I would be Austin. In about a year I hope to do a little study abroad on the pacific rim or in Africa, and after a few months of that I'll be headed to a PhD program. I have my fingers crossed for one that would let me study on the East coast for part of my degree and in England for the other part. I love to travel; wish me luck!

AMETHYST
post Jan 7 07, 23:43
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

I wish you more than luck, I wish you 'hope' that is magnificent and your dreams and goals are at your finger tips. A great example of imagining it, to realize it.

Best of God's blessings to you... glad you came to MM.

Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jan 8 07, 03:19
Post #8

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

G'day, Rayn'

Well, I don't no about the rain, you seem to be a ray of sunshine pharoah2.gif You have the enthusiasm to become a successful writer. cheer.gif Poetry can't be taught like music, specialy, the free form stuff. Poets, learn by reading other poets and relating to their style of poetry. I don't think you can go past Shakespeare when writing sonnets; hey, they even gave him enhanced notoriety by naming his sonnet form after him. Free form, ya got Bukowski, Neruda, and many others. The classics, ya got, Ezra Pound, Eliot, Lawrence, Whitman etc. My favourite, exponent is, Carl Sandburg.

The most important feature writing poetry is , finishing your poem, then reading what you've written, n' saying to yourself. Hey, this is pretty good. Later on down the track, you'll say. Hey, this is great! Once you get to the stage, 'Hey, this is great.' Ya, on ya way, Rayn. pharoah2.gif

So, WELCOME, to the experience of a lifetime. dance.gif

No, better place to be, than here at MM. troy.gif

You'l find this out down the track.

John troy.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

TygerTyger
post Jan 9 07, 09:27
Post #9

Assyrian

Member No.: 278
Referred By:Cynthia Neely

Hey Rayn! wave.gif

Glad to see you got my message! And, of course, very, very glad to see you here!

Soooo... you like Austin, Texas eh? Keep Austin Wierd. Some really cool things have come out of Austin and now it looks like some cool things are going in!

I'm in DFW, sometimes traveling south, maybe we'll run into each other sometime.

And I am very pleased to hear that you're still going for you're dreams. May the road continue to rise up and meet you. rose.gif

I look forward to interacting with you, again.

How's Serenity?

Dennis!

Now, for the curious and wondering: I've been subdued and introspspective lately, reading mostly and contemplating... that's why I haven't posted anything in a while, though I do read the posts as they come to me.
And add to that a big new addition to a contract in my 'day job' and time has become too much like life, short indeed.

I expect to be posting again, for there is a time and a season for everything.

Dennis! wave.gif

·······IPB·······

Faith is a fine invention
for gentlemen who see,
but microscopes are prudent
in an emergency! -Emily Dickinson

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jan 9 07, 09:53
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Well we miss ya Dennis, good luck and best wishes on the job successes as well as the literary endeavors...

Big Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jan 10 07, 04:06
Post #11

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

Hey, mate,

Ya got ya priorities in the write order.

Good ta see ya happy growling face. gromit.gif

Ya well liked aroound here ya know.

Best of luck in your endevours. troy.gif

Regards,

John troy.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jan 10 07, 18:03
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Greetin's! cheer.gif

If'n you's a friend o' Dennis you's a friend o' us'ns, Rayn... so rayn on us whatever ya gots... and may God rayn on you his blessing in the dreams you's persooin'... hsdance.gif

an' when ya get's that PhD, I hope ya ain't a gonna be thinkin' you's too good fer us and that ya'll still be a-visitin' here! chilly.gif

snail.gif sLightly intimmydated, Dan'l dunce.gif

P.S. An' please be tellin' Dennis we's a been missin' 'im... but keep on with 'is contemplificatin' Speechless.gif fer's long as nesissary! Guitar.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Blank_Canvas
post Jan 15 07, 16:53
Post #13

Greek

Member No.: 15

Welcome Rayn ! I do love that name ! I admire you're willingness to improve your writing skills and your active pursuit of your dreams. Best of luck to you ! It will be a delight spending time with you here. I live in Kerrville (near Austin) and have a son living in Austin pursuing a few dreams of his own. My husband and I visit him there fairly often. It is a wild place ! Have other relatives living there, as well.
Anyway, not here to introduce you to my extended family ~laugh~ just to welcome you to MM ! See you about !
Marcia sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"...We are born into the world like a blank canvas
and every person that crosses our path takes up the brush and makes their mark upon our surface.
So it is that we develop.
But we must realize there comes a day that we must take up the brush and finish the work. For only we can determine if we are to be just another painting or a masterpiece..."

1981 Javan (from the book " Meet Me Halfway" )

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:03

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: