post May 23 05, 18:53
Post #61

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

22 responses so far - great news! That puts us to 19% response rate.

Hoping others will chime in sometime soon as well.... cool.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Toumai_*
post May 24 05, 01:22
Post #62

Hi Lori,

I thought Nina's idea sounded promising, but if it's impossible to 'automate' then I guess it won't be feasible. Your idea also sounds excellent, but surely it's still a lot of work, cos you'll have to sort by topic and then collate across the forums for each member? Or could you pass some of that onto other staff?
Wizard.gif
I like the idea of new posts enthusiasm getting recognition. Only nit I can see so far - some people write only poetry and won't want to post in Stonehenge, so can't make using both a prerequisite? I think the flashes and other challenges could definitely count, but how can a piece of prose be equated to a poem? (Contentious  ninja.gif one story to two poems? or five? hehe).

Fran  :yoda:

Cleo_Serapis
post May 24 05, 05:40
Post #63

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Fran.

I was thinking of offering the FLASHES as an alternative to the Prose requirement if we implemented this idea? And I had mentioned a 75/25 breakdown. Figuring we'd do 2 Flashes a month - this would be adequate to substitute the Stonehenge/Loch Ness portion if those members want.

So it would be 8 new topics of poetry and 2 of prose or Flash (or 1 each) any combo like that.

Well - right now to do the current Wizards, I still go into each forum and sort by: Topic replies and then look for new posts that qualify. SO this wouldn't be much different from that - I'd only look in Hermes and Serens by calendar month and then the same for Acropolis and Stonehenge/Loch Ness.

I am willing to do it if the members agree to that change in place of the current Wizard qualifications.

Cheers!
~Cleo
:)

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 24 05, 05:42
Post #64

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Psyche had sent this in response to the following post above (to me yesterday):

Hi Lori

Just a thought on wizard awards.  Rather than award for so many awards, which doesn't encourage greater participation in the crit forums, perhaps they could be awarded for on having posted perhaps 10 poems in a crit forum Serens and Hermes and perhaps 3 pieces of prose in Stonehenge which is like a graveyard at the moment.

Nina

Hey, that sounds like a good idea !! I keep telling myself to post a story, but never get down to it.  It's also good because (I presume) there wouldn't be a time limit, or at least maybe a time limit of about a year !!

My slowness in responding to the wonderful crits is mostly due to
overload of work, (home & office), plus a painful condition called fibromyalgia,  which limits my time at the PC.  Just took a lunch break to read the mail from MM, and couldn't help ROFL about poets & cats, or something to that effect. Good for Alan !

Love to all,
Sylvia *** :-)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JLY
post May 24 05, 05:56
Post #65

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Lori,
There have been so many wonderful ideas brought forward with these surveys that it takes a little time to digest them all.
I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but their should be 2 main themes that we need to focus on:
1. Recruitment of new members
2. Retain, maintain, and nurture existing members

There seems to be a lot of discussion about awards:  some say there are too many given out; some say they are not given for the truly worthy postings; and some say they are given too frequently to the same contributors.

Perhaps you might consider adding a new award that would focus on "new poets / best new posting" or something like that.  This might be one of the vehicles you could use to promote and recruit new members.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 24 05, 18:27
Post #66

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi John and thanks for your posting above. :)

Can you elaborate for me on your ideas?

Cheers
Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JLY
post May 25 05, 06:03
Post #67

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Lori,
I will try to put my thoughts into a cohesive pattern and post them as soon as I can.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 26 05, 05:18
Post #68

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (JLY @ May 25 2005, 07:03)
Lori,
I will try to put my thoughts into a cohesive pattern and post them as soon as I can.
JLY

Thanks JOhn.

You can PM me too if you want to chat about your ideas....

Cheers!
~Cleo  :dragon:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post May 26 05, 11:00
Post #69

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I haven't had the time to read ALL the replies here so I don't know if this suggestion has come up.

I agree with James that Wizard awards are a great encouragement, but disagree with the 125 reads 25 replies rule.

I don't know if it is feasible but might I suggest that instead of numbers of reads, a wizard could be awarded if say for example, 12 DIFFERENT poets reply. This would allow any amount of banter but indicate which poems are really popular with our membership. The number of replies from poets is just a suggestion for discussion.

I don't know how difficult this would be to organise, but I would be quite willing to make the counts and report to Lori when the required number was reached.

Any thoughts??

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post May 26 05, 11:11
Post #70

Dear Grace, (or should we now call you the Countess ? )

I agree with every word, Wizards are good, but the reason for award was always weak.

Why should a poem that needs lots of work, hence raises many posts, be awarded when a near-perfect piece, which gets a few "Wow, not a thing to change" comments, does not.

Well done Countess, I second the motion.

Love
Alan (Sir Knight)

Cybele
post May 26 05, 13:07
Post #71

Ornate Oracle

Good Sir knight,  :knight:

I agree with every word, Wizards are good, but the reason for award was always weak.

Why should a poem that needs lots of work, hence raises many posts, be awarded when a near-perfect piece, which gets a few "Wow, not a thing to change" comments, does not.

Love Alan (Sir Knight)

Brilliant kind sir. One down 120 to go!!:lol:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 26 05, 19:10
Post #72

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Grace. rainbow.gif

Another good suggestion on re-vamping the qualificatons for the  Wizard.gif award.

A couple of things jump out at me with regard to the replies around this award. Most all seem to think that the Wizard was designed to be for those tiles and.or writers that are standouts of near perfection. This is a mis-understanding and one to discuss in more detail.  

The Wizard Award (to quote our awards definition thread): is granted to those tiles who have achieved a minimum of 125 views AND 25 replies. It is not awarded based on best form in writing such as content, structure, meter, rhythm etc... so I think this survey has raised the point that there is confusion which is a  good thing to chat about further.

This brings me to two MM awards that have not really had their day in the sun sun.gif as much as they could (and I believe is our opportunity to shine; arwen.gif

The Crown Jewel Awards - can be nominated by any member of MM at any time. This award is granted to those tiles that best demonstrate form in writing with a powerful punch ~ two great combinations!  I think that this award should be given for those masterful pieces that take our breath away and really deliver a taste of form in perfection of prose and poetry.  cloud9.gif  There are no rules as to how this award is won - is is simply won by nomination (of one member). If I read a poem and its a sonnet for example and I feel it is a solid representation of the form, I will nominate it and the award is given. No polls to deal with. No replies/reads to meet.

The Faery Award - can be nominated by any member of MM at any time. This award is granted for tiles that best capture our muses. Similar to the Crown Jewels Award, this award looks more not to the requirements of form and such, but to the 'message' of the piece.

So.... if we can think of a way (I have done this in the past via PM and a separate thread in Nero's News here): http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....;t=3482

to remind our members of these unique awards, I think these would fill that need. Crown J for standout form pieces and Faery for pure emotional response.

back to the Wizard....
I agree that a change is required. The 25 replies/125 views doesn't really 'speak' of the tile other than to point out that it is popular. One doesn't need an award within the tile to see that.  grinning.gif  oops.gif  The debate seems to hinge on what is 'true crit responses' v. 'banter' v. 'thank you' commentaries.

Your idea focuses on how many members have commented in another member's tile, which I think has much merit Grace.  :pharoah2

My idea (above) [and Nina's] is focused on number of new topics by the same member posted in a set forum in a set number of days.

With John (JLY) adding that we want to encourage member participation in tiles, and new member posts too - I see two different ideas emerging here, neither which maintain the existing rules for the Wizard.

Perhaps we can incorporate some, one or both into a refind Wizard (or Crown J and Faery) or all three?

What do you think?

~Cleo  king.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 26 05, 19:21
Post #73

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Here is a reply sent to me 9as a reply to a topic reply) from Psyche:

Hey, that also sounds great !! Good idea, Grace. Keeps the fun banter but
diversifies the responses. This might also help to avoid that (sorry,
everybody, for saying the unmentionable...ha.ha....) er,..... clannish or
clubbish or clique-ish feeling some of us have grumbled so pievishly about.
Keep your blood-pressure down, folks, I love you all !!!!
But seriously, sounds like a good idea to work on.
Sorry about answering in a rush, this can be posted if u like, I'm off on my
rounds.
Hugs to all,
Sylvia :-)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 26 05, 19:23
Post #74

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alan @ May 26 2005, 12:11)

Love
Alan (Sir Knight)

A topic reply to this response by Psyche (sent to me today by replying to a topic reply  :oops: - those will go to me at the MM email box...

Me too, I  second the motion, Countess Grace !!
Psyche ***

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 26 05, 19:26
Post #75

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Just for giggles - I went into the Laureate's Legion forum and randomly picked out the following Wizards awarded to tally member responses.... methinks 12 is too high  knight.gif but at least we have stats to analyze...  detective.gif

Perhaps if Grace's idea is ammenable, we could restrict it to the 4 crit forums only (and have a staff member designated in each one to keep count)?

Herme's Homilies:

jgdittiers "A Poet Knows" 31 replies at 26 May      8 members
Psyche, Jox, larrysgirl, Toumai, Arnfinn, Cleo, JustDaniel, heartsong7

Cybele's "First Date"  39 replies at 26 May    6 members
JustDaniel, Alan, Nina, Jox, Toumai, Perrorist

Alan's "Making the Bridge"    39 replies at 26 May     9 members
JLY, Jox, Nina, Toumai, Cybele, Cleo, Arnfinn, Billydo, JustDaniel

AMETHYST's "Ghost of First Love"   35 replies at 26 May    11 members
larrysgirl, Nina, Toumai, JustDaniel, jgdittier, Arnfinn, Don, Eisa, Cybele, Jox, Cleo

AND

Billydo's "My Pink Things" in Seren's:   36 replies at 26 May     12 members
Toumai, Nina, Jox, Alan, JustDaniel, larrysgirl, Psyche, Arnfinn, Cleo, Aggiel, Cybele, Pandora

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post May 27 05, 01:47
Post #76

Dear Lori,

"Perhaps if Grace's idea is ammenable, we could restrict it to the 4 crit forums only (and have a staff member designated in each one to keep count)? "

I highly recommend

Countess Grace
Duchess Grace
Queen Grace
and Empress Grace .... (or should that be Impress Grace, yer 'Ighness ? )

It should certainly be a crits fora only thing.

Love
Alan

Guest_Toumai_*
post May 27 05, 01:50
Post #77

Hi Lori,

Interesting analyses, many thanks. Glad to see that Mike (Billydo) as a new member with his first poem got the most separate-person replies to welcome him.

The only thing that makes me unsure about the 'number of separate people' replying being important is that that might feed notions of 'cliquiness'  If a person crits one poem but not another will that make the second's poet upset?

Some of us do crit a lot and I'd hate to feel guilty that I haven't had time to crit a few works - I love it and enjoy it at the moment, but this week, for example, I'm behind. I don't know if I'd feel bound to try to catch up and crit everything or if I'd give up, pick my 2 needed replies when I post my own and choose favourites to reciprocate  Shock

So I think I would lean more to the idea of a certain number of new posts in poetry/prose adding to a Wizard.

Hugs,

Fran

Cybele
post May 27 05, 01:53
Post #78

Ornate Oracle

[b]Hello Lori, wave.gif

The Crown Jewel Awards - can be nominated by any member of MM at any time. This award is granted to those tiles that best demonstrate form in writing with a powerful punch ~ two great combinations!  I think that this award should be given for those masterful pieces that take our breath away and really deliver a taste of form in perfection of prose and poetry.     There are no rules as to how this award is won - is is simply won by nomination (of one member). If I read a poem and its a sonnet for example and I feel it is a solid representation of the form, I will nominate it and the award is given. No polls to deal with. No replies/reads to meet.

The Faery Award - can be nominated by any member of MM at any time. This award is granted for tiles that best capture our muses. Similar to the Crown Jewels Award, this award looks more not to the requirements of form and such, but to the 'message' of the piece.

I think that both of these awards have great merit, far more so than the Wizard, but I, like everyone else will read a piece that I think is technically perfect and then FORGET that I can nominate it for the Crown Jewels award. The same goes for the Faery Award. There are very many poems I have read that deserve this award. This is an example of just too many forums, all with great merit, but demanding too much time in reading when we should be writing! hsdance.gif

This is such a shame, because these poems should be acknowledged and kept together for us to find easily whenever we wish to re-read . These links would be very convenient whenever we wished to check back on a particular piece to re-read (as many of them deserve to be re-read), as a source of inspiration. So many times I have read a poem and months later thought about it and forgotten where I had read it!

Here I have one other suggestion.

Would there be some way to provide a link to each of these forms at the bottom of each posting. (Like our signatures) that would be added automatically to every posting? After reading we could then decide immediately if the poem has great technical merit or has moved us greatly, thereby ensuring that that poet is acknowledged properly for their fine efforts.
(This might also be of help to you when choosing pieces for the chapbooks Lori, as you will have a stock of poetry which is very popular with members all in one (or two) places and would also make your efforts in establishing these awards worthwhile.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post May 27 05, 03:10
Post #79

Ornate Oracle

Good morning Fran,  sings.gif

The only thing that makes me unsure about the 'number of separate people' replying being important is that that might feed notions of 'cliquiness'  If a person crits one poem but not another will that make the second's poet upset?

Some of us do crit a lot and I'd hate to feel guilty that I haven't had time to crit a few works - I love it and enjoy it at the moment, but this week, for example, I'm behind. I don't know if I'd feel bound to try to catch up and crit everything or if I'd give up, pick my 2 needed replies when I post my own and choose favourites to reciprocate  

I think the answer to this Fran, is that the very same people accused of cliquiness are those who try to answer as many posts as possible. I work on the premise that I will choose, first to visit posts by members who don't post too often, or have had fewer visits, or are new to MM ~ then time permitting, I will visit regulars who post more often.

There are very many members on whose work I have commented, but have never seen a posting in any of my tiles from them. This does not upset or offend me ~ people only have so much time to devote to critting, but above that I feel the lack of responses from the majority of members is because they are nervous of critting ~ I know I was when I started, asking myself
what right I had to comment on another's work. But I learnt gradually that people really do appreciate ANY comment, and once you get a few favourable replies to your crits it becomes easier, and that is how friendships develop here. If that could be encouraged we could be one GREAT BIG CLIQUE known as a family!

As to your second point Fran, when I return from an absence I take a quick squizz at all new posts. Those I read which catch my imagination (no matter who the poet) I will reply to. There are some poems that I cannot profess to understand, or whose content is not to my taste. These I leave for others to crit, people who may be far more perspicacious than me and therefore be of much more help to the writer. I would not consider that this makes me biased.

We do what we can. I belong to no clique, I belong to the family of MM. cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 27 05, 05:32
Post #80

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cybele @ May 27 2005, 02:53)
Hello Lori, wave.gif

The Crown Jewel Awards - can be nominated by any member of MM at any time. This award is granted to those tiles that best demonstrate form in writing with a powerful punch ~ two great combinations!  I think that this award should be given for those masterful pieces that take our breath away and really deliver a taste of form in perfection of prose and poetry.     There are no rules as to how this award is won - is is simply won by nomination (of one member). If I read a poem and its a sonnet for example and I feel it is a solid representation of the form, I will nominate it and the award is given. No polls to deal with. No replies/reads to meet.

I think that both of these awards have great merit, far more so than the Wizard, but I, like everyone else will read a piece that I think is technically perfect and then FORGET that I can nominate it for the Crown Jewels award. The same goes for the Faery Award. There are very many poems I have read that deserve this award. This is an example of just too many forums, all with great merit, but demanding too much time in reading when we should be writing! hsdance.gif

This is such a shame, because these poems should be acknowledged and kept together for us to find easily whenever we wish to re-read . These links would be very convenient whenever we wished to check back on a particular piece to re-read (as many of them deserve to be re-read), as a source of inspiration. So many times I have read a poem and months later thought about it and forgotten where I had read it!

Here I have one other suggestion.

Would there be some way to provide a link to each of these forms at the bottom of each posting. (Like our signatures) that would be added automatically to every posting? After reading we could then decide immediately if the poem has great technical merit or has moved us greatly, thereby ensuring that that poet is acknowledged properly for their fine efforts.
(This might also be of help to you when choosing pieces for the chapbooks Lori, as you will have a stock of poetry which is very popular with members all in one (or two) places and would also make your efforts in establishing these awards worthwhile.

Hi Grace. Fish.gif

For visibility to these awards, I think it would make more sense to add a notation to the forum participation rules in the crit & exhibition forums regarding the Crown Jewel and Faery awards with a link as well to the Valley of Kings forum where I keep track of the nominated tiles for them?  
http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....SF;f=15

I hesitate to add anything more to the member signatures as that space is for your personal quote and our mini plaques. BUT, if anyone wishes, perhaps we can add a comment within our OWN signatures about them?

It would absolutely assist in choosing tiles for future chapbook compilations and the new digital newsletter (I need to get back to that Spring issue BTW and finish it up)! LOL.gif

Thanks - this feedback is wonderful....

Should we ask the members via PM or keep the ideas in this thread?

Cheers!  cheer.gif :operagal:

Cleo  hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:12

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: