Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Next Evolutionary Step
Guest_Zeus˛_*
post Oct 5 04, 06:19
Post #1

Next Evolutionary Step

Over the millennia this planet and it’s inhabitants have gone through many changes, evolution has taken care of most of it, catastrophes and other spectacular events have caused other adaptations, some subtle, others great.  We have progressed from the Neanderthal to modern man.

And in his infinite knowledge, made our lives easier and more productive but, now all of us will have the pleasure and distinction of observing the passing of one function of our lives to a new and exciting way of doing things.

I speak of our hands.. without them, there are the obvious conclusions. but more specifically.. it is the index finger.

This is a world wide phenomena and at present, there is no recourse to reverse this trend, we are all caught up in it, and so it shall come to pass.

Charles Darwin wrote “ The extinction of old forms is the almost inevitable consequense of the production of new forms. We can understand why when a species has disappeared, it never reappears”.

Thus, it brings us to our  clear and present danger, with modernization and miniaturization... the index  finger is being rendered  useless. Observe.. all of you next time you are out…. anywhere...  with  the plethora of hand held devices, you will be witnessing  the miracle and new reality  of  “ thumb dialing, text messages  and/or game playing “.  The mighty Thumb is taking over. ... and the index finger will be a thing of the past.
alien2.gif

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Tao_*
post Oct 5 04, 11:39
Post #2

Oh Mighty Zeus, the world is not all thumbs you know, though sometimes it's hard to imagine any other way as combinations of foolish people and foolish things abound.

If I may, my rebuttal to your evolutionary observation is the lowly toilet paper. That's right, the white rolls of exclamation!

Twenty years ago, when I was starting out in the computer biz, people hailed the end of the paper world. Why, with electronic media available on every desk and in every home, in portable devices, who needs paper? There's no need to print out all those reports - read books online they said!

It was then that a wise man served me the golden reminder, in his words: The day we stop using toilet paper, we'll have a paperless society. Alas, twenty years later, I see no sign of this prophecy becoming reality.

And what of this phenomenon of thumb typing? Pure phooey, a fad, like the temporary return of the bell bottom and low cut jeans. Anyone with two eyes can see that ten fingers type faster than two clumsy, overweight thumbs. Furthermore, typing words one letter at a time, one thumb at a time, into a voice communication device? What's wrong with this camera phone picture? Evolution indeed, the kids have too much time on their hands, uh, thumbs.

David laugh.gif

Guest_Cailean_*
post Oct 5 04, 19:59
Post #3

Had to laugh at Tao's rebuttal, but as to your piece, Zeus:

Unlike Tao - who can be a cheeky ragamuffin some of the time, but damned amusing all the same - I'm not going to concern myself with the veracity of the information; I'm looking at your piece as a literary exercise, so to speak.

In the second paragraph, you refer to "his" ... it's not abundantly clear who "he" is, at least to me. I keep thinking it may be God, but without the capitalized H, it throws me, just for me, it reads like that in context. If it refers to modern man (the last entity you mention) the language doesn't seem right about talking such a mere  insignificant race! Haha :)

In the first paragraph, it's "its", not "it's". "its" is the proper possessive for an object. "it's" only refers to the contraction of "it is". Common mistake. :)

Spelling error, at least from my Queen's English viewpoint, "consequence".

Otherwise, an interesting lil essay and the language flows well.

As a final point to Tao, you do have a point about toilet paper, but see the movie "Demolition Man" based loosely on Aldus Huxley's "Brave New World" (including the female lead having the same name of "Lenina" with the telling surname in the movie "Huxley") where they do indeed do away with said paper.

"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells!"

Nuff said.

Cailean.

Guest_Tao_*
post Oct 5 04, 20:27
Post #4

Hi Larry,

Re. Cailean's point on "his," I automatically assumed it was Him you were talking about and that you simply didn't capitalize.

Cheeky ragamuffin, Cailean? I had to look that up: a shabbily clothed, dirty child. You’ve seen my picture? LOL.gif

And yes, I have seen Demolition Man - all restaurants are Taco Bell now! To be honest, I wouldn't know how to use the three seashells either. But then this ragamuffin had never been in a five-star hotel with such luxuries. I imagine it would be a plethora of sensations. detective.gif

David

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 17:23

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: