Post #1

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Dear Friends:
There are many websites devoted to the differences of opinion/spelling of commonly used words on both sides of the Atlantic. I will offer just a smattering for you...in Alpha order not necessarily in order of preference:

American                  British

aluminum                                    aluminium

analog                                       analogue

boro                                          borough

bylaw                                        bye law

center                                       centre

defense                                     defence

donut                                        doughnut

favorite                                      favourite

gage                                          guage

gray                                           grey

hauler                                         haulier

honor                                          honour

license                                        licence

jewelry                                        jewellery

mustache                                    moustache

nite                                            night

omelet                                        omelette

pajamas                                      pyjamas

routing                                        routeing

thru                                            through

traveler                                       traveller

tire                                             tyre

vise                                            vice

Oftentimes, when we crit each other, there are words that may not appear to be correct (spelling-wise that is) but in reality it may be what is commonly used in that person's country.

I am sure we can add many more to this list, but I just tried to share a few.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
Guest_ohsteve_*
post Sep 13 08, 14:47
Post #2

Interesting topic, the differences in spellin, there are also difference in pronunciation, my wife is English, from the Cambridge area, and the different dialects can reek havoc with how you understand some one, just like the different dialects in the US can, compare the way a New England Yankee speaks to a Georgia Southerner, to a California vally girl, then there are the different words that mean the same thing such as Eng=Boot US=Trunk,
Eng=motor US=engine/car Eng=Auto US=car, wheels(slang). When I say garage I pronounce it Garaage When my wife says it it comes out as garedge, when I say hawk it comes out hock when my wife says it it comes out haaawwk. Of course she says I'm a damn colonist and can't speak anyway, I always come back with at least I aint a damn prisoner (Australians). But the bad part is, is when my youngest daughter says crayon it sounds like crown...whats a guy to do. PS I hate chat speak and I refuse to type that way, and refuse to respond to anything that has chat speak in it.
Steve

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- JLY   British English vs. American English   Dec 12 05, 12:31
- - Jox   Brill, thanks John - an excellent ready-reference....   Dec 12 05, 12:50
- - Toumai   Thanks, John - a fascinating reference I'd ad...   Dec 12 05, 13:00
- - Nina   thanks John for starting this thread , what an exc...   Dec 12 05, 13:07
- - Don   Looking over JLY's original list I amend three...   Apr 24 06, 10:28
- - Jox   Hi Don, That is interesting. I has assumed that ...   Apr 24 06, 11:57
- - Don   John may disagree. In my mind thru and nite are s...   Apr 24 06, 18:33
- - JustDaniel   Doughnut, guage and grey have been in my vocabular...   Aug 18 06, 15:17
- - Don   That is just downright "ruff," Daniel. ...   Aug 19 06, 08:26
- - Arnfinn   a fEW more. English American ...   Sep 4 06, 05:19
- - Don   I find it ironic that dear William, who added some...   Sep 4 06, 09:03
- - Arnfinn   Hi Don, Actually I agree. I believe, English word...   Sep 5 06, 02:49
- - Don   Good morning John, I wonder if Andrew Jackson mea...   Sep 5 06, 09:24
|- - Arnfinn   QUOTE (Don @ Sep 5 06, 14:24 ) Good morni...   Sep 5 06, 21:43
- - JLY   John, Just to add a little bit of regional, local ...   Sep 6 06, 05:48
|- - Arnfinn   QUOTE (JLY @ Sep 6 06, 10:48 ) John, Just...   Sep 8 06, 04:05
- - JLY   John, New Yorkers are always in a hurry...some of ...   Sep 8 06, 07:02
- - 4rum   There was a time when seeing a word in print lent ...   Jul 22 07, 11:35
- - Don   Dear 4rum, The helter-skelter nature of language ...   Jul 22 07, 12:05

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 00:25

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: