Post #1

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Hi poets and writers at MM!

The challenge is to use the words listed below in the form of a sonnet, villanelle or any other form you wish, as well as FV.

You may offer up as many answers as you want, but each one must include at least 10 of the words in the list below, in any order. These words have been taken from Tom Chetwynds' A Dictionary of Symbols.

Here goes:

Apple

Archetypes

Metals

Imagination

Meditation

Mirror

Zodiac

Sphinx

Sleeping Beauty

Pig

Oedipus

Alchemy

Water

Threshold

Hermaphrodite

Looking forward to your great answers to this challenge!
butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Larry
post Jan 28 17, 14:33
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Fairest Reflections

Before the Sphinx or pyramids were built
and Stonehenge just imagination’s dreams
there dwelt an old hermaphrodite who spilt
the metals from his alchemy in streams

so cooling waters would soon dissipate
heat from his meditations. Mirrors made
were the archetypes; each showed the smallest trait
of good or evil. All would be displayed

between the zodiacs around each rim.
He’d made one for a queen; a pig inside,
whose Oedipus complex had bothered him.
She’d purchased poisons too but spells applied

left Sleeping Beauty on thresholds of death
with just the hint of apple on her breath.

Symbols used: Sphinx, Imagination, Hermaphrodite, Metals, Alchemy, Water, Meditation, Mirror, Archetypes, Zodiac, Pig, Oedipus, Sleeping Beauty, Threshold and Apple

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jan 31 17, 18:47
Post #3

Trojan

Member No.: 1,150
Writer of: Poetry

The one notable effect - I find - of these challenges, is how differently Members see and respond to them! Most intriguing to say the least!

I sometimes wonder why? Is it the education we underwent when young? Our bent towards the arcane, history, or ..... what? I know many of the 'triggers' that set my mind into following a theme, come from my schooling. History and Ancient Greek, Roman and other subjects, were front and centre of the education I received.

Anyone have other ideas? I'll love to know. In the mean time, I enjoy reading what other poets offer - and more so when the offering is far different from my own.

Incidentally I enjoyed this poetic endeavour of yours Larry. Probably more so because I know Stonehenge very well! My home in Dorset was not that far away and I often passed it close by, when we visited my parents. Pictures alone do not do it justice.

It emanates an atmosphere which is both captivating and awe inspiring. It possesses an air of mystery which has to be experienced first hand to feel! It's not the only place I have visited, that affects me as a visitor in this manner! Some would have us believe it has much to do with Ley Lines. As I can experience the "force" of this phenomena, - I am a water diviner, dowser or twitcher - depending on where you hail from - I feel there could well be some truth in this theory! Hard to prove!

For now? Nice job, well done. Ciao Denis aka Rhymer.

RC James
post Feb 4 17, 06:39
Post #4

Assyrian

Member No.: 5,282
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Rhapsody

Scattershot absurdity. I was more interested in the characterization of an apocalyptic semi-hysteric
than in a rendering of fact. He's a little excited.

Change Will Remain

Through some form of alchemy, though I suppose,
strictly speaking, there is only one form of alchemy,
otherwise everything would be changing out of control.
But, yes, as I was about to say, alchemy may have done it,
caused it, brought it about, a change in the apple,
its archetype, foundation of our love affairs, the stolen kiss.
We’re standing at the threshold of a change in water too.
Believe me, no dam is safe, soon to come, inundation
beyond an imagination as strong as that of Oedipus.
Meditation will bring you a transformation in metal,
steel to lignite, Not a pretty future at all, at all. Except,
except for the lucky hermaphrodite, they won’t have,
I say they, lucky zodiacans, won’t have to change one bit.

Psyche
post Feb 5 17, 18:42
Post #5

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Larry,
Wonderful reply to this challenge! Used all the words deftly. Even added Stonehenge to add another ancient site, with all that it implicates.
I like the lines about the old hermaphrodite who spilt metals from alchemy in streams...to think hermaphrodites were fairly common in ancient civilizations and nobody even blinked or cared what they did.
Your take on the pig made me laugh.

I love this, but at the moment I can't remember why Sleeping Beauty went to sleep for so many years... LOL. I loved that story!
Your ending is fantastic, the hint of apple on her breath. Was she given a poisoned apple? I should look it up, but it sounds just right in your last couplet.

I've taken a long time to comment. I'm really tired of being the only Mod around. These challenges take up time and thought. I don't seem to have time to get inspired or even comment.

And I find that MM's platform is not working well. Lori confirmed that. She mentioned that she can't access some forums. My problem is that a large, white space below covers the Send button. Have to wiggle my way around, downsizing the whole platform before I can reply. shocked.gif

Thanks for sharing this great poem, Larry.
Best, butterfly.gif Syl

QUOTE (Larry @ Jan 28 17, 16:33 ) *
Fairest Reflections

Before the Sphinx or pyramids were built
and Stonehenge just imagination’s dreams
there dwelt an old hermaphrodite who spilt
the metals from his alchemy in streams

so cooling waters would soon dissipate
heat from his meditations. Mirrors made
were the archetypes; each showed the smallest trait
of good or evil. All would be displayed

between the zodiacs around each rim.
He’d made one for a queen; a pig inside,
whose Oedipus complex had bothered him.

Symbols used: Sphinx, Imagination, Hermaphrodite, Metals, Alchemy, Water, Meditation, Mirror, Archetypes, Zodiac, Pig, Oedipus, Sleeping Beauty, Threshold and Apple

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Feb 5 17, 18:58
Post #6

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Interesting, Denis. I'm sure education received is fundamental, as well the habit of reading a great deal after that.
In my case, I studied Ancient Greek and Latin at university, as languages as well as History. Also two years of Theology, which included many religions, not just christianity. This sort of thing spreads further than sitting in the classroom and taking exams. One gets excited about some issue, therefore delves into other branches, makes new connections and so on.

Still, I haven't answered the challenge, and neither have you!!! LOL. JackBox.gif

I agree with you that Larry's addition of Stonehenge to the challenge made it a lot better. I only visited Stonehenge once, many years ago. I'd love to participate in the rituals that have been revived over time. Don't know what Ley Lines are.

Thanks for your comments, Denis. A pleasure to read you.
Best, Syl butterfly.gif

QUOTE (Rhymer @ Jan 31 17, 20:47 ) *
The one notable effect - I find - of these challenges, is how differently Members see and respond to them! Most intriguing to say the least!

I sometimes wonder why? Is it the education we underwent when young? Our bent towards the arcane, history, or ..... what? I know many of the 'triggers' that set my mind into following a theme, come from my schooling. History and Ancient Greek, Roman and other subjects, were front and centre of the education I received.

Anyone have other ideas? I'll love to know. In the mean time, I enjoy reading what other poets offer - and more so when the offering is far different from my own.

Incidentally I enjoyed this poetic endeavour of yours Larry. Probably more so because I know Stonehenge very well! My home in Dorset was not that far away and I often passed it close by, when we visited my parents. Pictures alone do not do it justice.

It emanates an atmosphere which is both captivating and awe inspiring. It possesses an air of mystery which has to be experienced first hand to feel! It's not the only place I have visited, that affects me as a visitor in this manner! Some would have us believe it has much to do with Ley Lines. As I can experience the "force" of this phenomena, - I am a water diviner, dowser or twitcher - depending on where you hail from - I feel there could well be some truth in this theory! Hard to prove!

For now? Nice job, well done. Ciao Denis aka Rhymer.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Feb 5 17, 21:50
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Richard,
Surprised to find you here, answering a challenge. Great!
I think I've counted 10 words from the ones listed, so that's fantastic.

As far as I understand, you're characterizing an apocalyptic hysteric. Still, the way things are now in the world, you're not far off the mark. Water is indeed contaminated, and in my country we're having dreadful flooding in several northern and central provinces. With the highest winds on record for those areas.

The gale is to continue until tomorrow midday. Vast regions are having power cuts, mostly for prevention of accidents. Loads of trees on the ground.

So I really appreciate the angle you've taken on this challenge. As Denis says, we're all inspired in different ways.

I've got a problem with MM's platform right now. When I want to hit send, a large blank space appears, so that I have to reduce the size of the whole site and then, perhaps, I can see the send sign.

I'm wondering whether anybody else is having the same issue?

Best, Syl butterfly.gif

QUOTE (RC James @ Feb 4 17, 08:39 ) *
Scattershot absurdity. I was more interested in the characterization of an apocalyptic semi-hysteric
than in a rendering of fact. He's a little excited.

Change Will Remain

Through some form of alchemy, though I suppose,
strictly speaking, there is only one form of alchemy,
otherwise everything would be changing out of control.
But, yes, as I was about to say, alchemy may have done it,
caused it, brought it about, a change in the apple,
its archetype, foundation of our love affairs, the stolen kiss.
We’re standing at the threshold of a change in water too.
Believe me, no dam is safe, soon to come, inundation
beyond an imagination as strong as that of Oedipus.
Meditation will bring you a transformation in metal,
steel to lignite, Not a pretty future at all, at all. Except,
except for the lucky hermaphrodite, they won’t have,
I say they, lucky zodiacans, won’t have to change one bit.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Feb 6 17, 18:35
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Syl,

Thanks for finding the time to read my little ditty. I'm surprised you don't remember that Sleeping Beauty was poisoned by the Wicked Queen because the queen's magic mirror (which the hermaphrodite made) informed her that she was no longer the most beautiful in the land so the witch poisoned Sleeping Beauty with a doctored apple.

The muse hit me when I saw apple, Sleeping Beauty, mirror, etc. Right out of the fairy tale.

Glad you liked it.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 20:46

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: