JustDaniel
post Nov 23 19, 23:06
Post #1

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

The chilling winds of Autumn arrive a little late this year, interspersed with one deluge after another, one with destructive winds tearing unmercifully through neighboring communities but sparing us for another time. Then a hard freeze followed by cool breezes with early-fall warmth, grandchildren playing in the yard in light jackets, our Pomeranian trailing them with his four-foot branch, begging for it to be thrown.

bare trees embarking
on a journey to nowhere
will leave in the spring

Fighting irrational gloom, I key into the present, anticipating gastric sleeve surgery three days away. I’d begun this journey forty pounds and four months ago in the warmth of summer, after a spring of depression triggered by weight-loss failures. Five support groups, three meetings with a dietician, a psychological screening, a stress test and meetings with four doctors later…

a weight lifted
as sun melts clouds and blues
cool winds of autumn

Thanksgiving on the horizon, I’ll arrive home amid all the bustle and smells in the kitchen where wife and daughters prepare desserts and delicacies and slice ingredients for the main event two days later, while I sip on green tea and chicken broth without a beef. Soon I’ll feast my eyes on the gathered family as they reminisce and gorge themselves on the abundance before them, while I salivate, watching and rejoicing, taking in the aroma of kinship and love, with a dash of holiday tension.

no carol-singing
‘til leftovers disappear
Noël soon enough

© MLee Dickens’son 22 Nov 2019
Daniel J Ricketts

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:30

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: