Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello everyone!  :wave:

We've made many changes to our site since our opening in August 2003.

I'd like to hear your thoughts regarding our site (both the forum board and the home pages).

Here are some preliminary ideas I came up with to start:
[*] What do you like about MM?
[*] What do you think could/should be improved?
[*] Is our staff helpful?
[*] Can you contact us easily?
[*] Would you like to see anything different?
[*] Would you like to change your role here?

These are just questions to start you thinking. Honest feedback is most appreciated! Idea.gif

Thanks in advance!
~Cleo  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 23 05, 03:38
Post #2

Hi Cleo,

I hope everyone will give some feedback.

What do you like about MM?

It is so friendly and 'warm' but yet the crits are careful and generally 'in depth' but without critter feeling they have to write reams; it is okay simply to say 'I like this' if there is nothing else that needs to be said. Most people seem to crit far more pieces than the rules demand. There is a lovely positive feeling with most of the crits: critters really try to help nurture others' writing.

What do you think could/should be improved?

Is there a simple way of listing all your work pieces posted? In each separate forum you can sort by 'topic starter' to find work, but in your profile it just shows all posts, with no way to sort.

Is our staff helpful?

Very. And welcoming.  angel.gif

Can you contact us easily?

Erm ... you're always around, so of course.  :pharoah2

Would you like to see anything different?

I'm not sure about mentioning this, but I think in some ways the site is a little too cosy: as one discussion mentioned, there are words used on the BBC every evening that are forbidden here and violence on the news that would be very much frowned on. However, I think it is more important to keep the atmosphere safe than please all writers all the time - so those of us writing unsuitable material will have to find other outlets for thsoe pieces.

Would you like to change your role here?

I'm not quite sure what this question means.

Fran

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 23 05, 04:14
Post #3

Hi Cleo

Here is my feedback on the questions you asked

What do you like about MM?
Most important is the opportunity to share my poems in an environment that feels safe.
MM is warm and friendly
Crit is always done in a sensitive, constructive, non judgemental way.
Each poem/short story is acknowledged and valued.
The quality of poetry is outstanding
The 1:3:2 rule is excellent, ensuring quality rather than quantity is maintained.  It also means that you can take time to read everything that is posted and develop interesting discussions on issues raised in a poem/short story.
I have just found the competitions and am enjoying the challenge.  They are also great for sparking off inspiration on what to write about.

It takes quite a while to discover all there is to offer on the site and it can be difficult to find it again.  I'm not sure how this could be improved though

Is our staff helpful?
very helpful

Can you contact us easily?
I have never tried but I'm sure that I could if I wanted to.

I can't think of anything

Would you like to change your role here?
no, I am happy as I am.

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 23 05, 06:06
Post #4

Hi,

Apropos Fran's comment about content and remembering Nina's comment about safe.

Maybe we could make use of a "less safe" member's only forum. I only mean less safe in terms of language and concepts allowed. Nastiness or rudeness from critters (should there be any) should not be allowed - maintaining what people rightly regard as MM's friendly nature.

It does rather pain me that Fran feels she has to take some writing elsewhere because of words or topic (I am in the same situation sometimes). I think that a members' only crit forum with a warning attached would enable only those members who wished to post / visit / crit there but it would, perhaps, be a more "adult" approach. We do have forums which border on this but they would need to be promoted as full crit forums for more violent / sexual / adult / dark works. I remember that Alan posted a work with Fxxx in and the system put sharp marks there instead ####. I'm not sure that a special forum would overcome that, as I think it is an overall software control (?) but in we could get round that - especially in such a mature forum.

I greatly welcome the recent revision of poetry forums. I know there were concerns but the new forums have taken off very quickly and I have seen no post-change worries expressed.

I would welcome other simplification measures - for easier navigation and better clarification. The forum system was established before we knew how MM would work and has grown like Topsey since. An overall review of what would best suit current (and future) needs might be sensible now.

Overall: This is clearly the friendliest and most useful crit site I've been on. The postings also look excellent - with lots of flexibility and are very attractive and allow variations (like Fran's glow-title in her competition submission and many other examples).

I think we all owe Lori a big thank you for the vision, effort, finance and love which she has put into this site. I don't want to sound fawning but I really do think she deserves great praise and thanks.

James.

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 23 05, 07:08
Post #5

It does rather pain me that Fran feels she has to take some writing elsewhere because of words or topic (I am in the same situation sometimes).

I agree with you James.  Having seen the judgemental nasty reaction, Fran got posting on another site, it does seem a shame that she, you and others are stopped from posting in one of the few places where you'd be given a fair, sensitive and honest crit.

I am not even sure what the rules are here as to what is acceptable or not, particularly in terms of subject matter.

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 23 05, 08:12
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello Fran and thanks for your feedback!  wave.gif

Is there a simple way of listing all your work pieces posted? In each separate forum you can sort by 'topic starter' to find work, but in your profile it just shows all posts, with no way to sort.

Unfortunately, there are restrictions with Ikonboard. We did add a hack that allows you to view all posts in the profile page, however, it also shows comments you've made to other threads. Currently, what you mentioned is how I look for posts by member (within each forum itself and then sort by 'Topic Starter'.

I'm not sure about mentioning this, but I think in some ways the site is a little too cosy: as one discussion mentioned, there are words used on the BBC every evening that are forbidden here and violence on the news that would be very much frowned on. However, I think it is more important to keep the atmosphere safe than please all writers all the time - so those of us writing unsuitable material will have to find other outlets for those pieces.

Good question worth mentioning. When I first began developing the site, two key elements surfaced:
[*] To offer friendly, yet thorough critiques, where we will support those members wishing to enhance their works in a setting that is relaxed, fun and challenging.
[*] Maintain a standard that is suitable for all ages and cultures of people.

Interestingly enough, our moderators had quite a discussion regarding this and the following became a brief summary that you'll find in our forums;
MM's Posting Standard:
Mosaic Musings is designed to meet a suitable standard for all ages. No dark, distasteful, explicit, obscene or profane language and/or implications thereof are allowed within our forums. If your post(s) contains any such material, then please email or PM a Praetorian.

There are many interpretations of what exactly qualifies as dark, explicit etc.. for example, some words that come to mind are:
wicca (satanic worship), cutting/self-mutilation, rape, eroticism, sexual interactions, and anything that infringes our TOU Code of Conduct: any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, obscene, abusive, tortuous, defamatory, libelous, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable.

The outcome of these discussions (and there were plenty within our staff private forum)  oops.gif was to agree that in the general forums, these 'questionable topics' may be moved into another of two forums:
[*]Ra's Renderings (Mentors Only) - the forum for infringed posts whereby we notify the poster by PM of the following:
'Hello (member name).

Your {title} piece posted in {forum name} has been moved into our mentor forum for discussion on content. This, in no way, reflects on you ~ rather it is intended to uphold the standards (and limitations) that Mosaic Musings has placed upon itself. We will reply to you within the next 3-7 days with the outcome of our decision. Thank you!'

If the staff deems the content 'inappropriate', then the post remains in Ra's and a follow up PM is sent to the member advising them of such.

While we acknowledge that your piece is well written, we will not be re-posting it into our public forum as the subject matter you have chosen is outside of our self-set limitations. We will be happy to receive other posts from you if you so wish. Again, this, in no way, reflects on you ~ rather it is intended to uphold the standards (and limitations) that Mosaic Musings has placed upon itself. If this subject matter is more to you liking, we suggest you post elsewhere on the Web.
[*]Shambhalan Sanctuary (Members Only) - This forum is (with a password requirement) to allow our members to post writings that tend to be of a more adult-oriented theme. Please keep in mind that the posts here must comply with our Terms of Use statement. No dark, explicit, erotic, suicidal, profane types of posts will be kept here. As long as your post is classy and shows a maturity with metaphor, rhythm etc.. it can be posted. Those posts that are just sleezy in nature have no place here at Mosaic Musings. We stand firm on this. There are plenty of other writing sites that cater to those topics and our members are free to choose as they wish.

To qualify to post here: You must ask a mentor for the password to this forum once the member has been on site for at least 90 days AND has at least 50 posts at MM. This way, we can see how the members have previously interacted with others.

This is a PRIVATE 'Members Only' forum.

Does this answer your query Fran?  Viking.gif

Thanks again for asking the questions!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 23 05, 08:25
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello Nina.  wave.gif

Thanks very much for your valuable feedback!  grinning.gif

It takes quite a while to discover all there is to offer on the site and it can be difficult to find it again.  I'm not sure how this could be improved though

When we first opened the forum board, I did not have the categories that you see today. I had every forum on the front page and it was VERY INTIMIDATING, especially for those who only want to post/read/interact in a specific venue i.e. poetry or prose. It was overwhelming - today, we now have 45 forums (even more than at start up). Can you imagine your first visit to MM and then seeing and scrolling through all those choice? YIKES!  Wall.gif  Read.gif  medusa.gif

By creating our 8 categories below, I was able to restrict quite a bit of that intimidation factor and allow the reader to go right where they wish in one click (well, two actually):

Pericle's Preambles (Site Information and Administration)
Mount Olympus (Challenges of God-like Proportions)
Poseidon's Poetry (Poetry forums here)
Pompeii's Prose (Prose forums here)
Atum's Annex (Miscellany)
Mosaic Marketplace (Store and ECards)
The Gilgamesh Gallery (Images to Muse Over)
Pendragon's Prudence (Restricted Posts)

Part of the re-do was to add the Site Map as well located in the box at top and also here.

Regarding your other query, I hope I have answered in my reply to Fran? Please let me know.

Regards!
~Cleo  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 23 05, 08:48
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jox @ Jan. 23 2005, 06:06)
Dear James,

I greatly welcome the recent revision of poetry forums. I know there were concerns but the new forums have taken off very quickly and I have seen no post-change worries expressed.

I agree - and it appears I need to reward more Wizards today too! :pharoah2

I would welcome other simplification measures - for easier navigation and better clarification. The forum system was established before we knew how MM would work and has grown like Topsey since. An overall review of what would best suit current (and future) needs might be sensible now.

I do not follow you here? We do have categories and Site Map?

Overall: This is clearly the friendliest and most useful crit site I've been on. The postings also look excellent - with lots of flexibility and are very attractive and allow variations (like Fran's glow-title in her competition submission and many other examples).

I think we all owe Lori a big thank you for the vision, effort, finance and love which she has put into this site. I don't want to sound fawning but I really do think she deserves great praise and thanks.

James.

Thank you veru much James! I appreciate the feedback!

~Cleo grinning.gif

Hello James!  Wizard.gif

Maybe we could make use of a "less safe" member's only forum. I only mean less safe in terms of language and concepts allowed. Nastiness or rudeness from critters (should there be any) should not be allowed - maintaining what people rightly regard as MM's friendly nature.

We do have the forum for this very comment - it is called Shambhalan Sanctuary (Members Only). Keep in mind that our TOU and COC still must be adhered to in that forum too.  upside.gif

It does rather pain me that Fran feels she has to take some writing elsewhere because of words or topic (I am in the same situation sometimes). I think that a members' only crit forum with a warning attached would enable only those members who wished to post / visit / crit there but it would, perhaps, be a more "adult" approach. We do have forums which border on this but they would need to be promoted as full crit forums for more violent / sexual / adult / dark works. I remember that Alan posted a work with Fxxx in and the system put sharp marks there instead ####. I'm not sure that a special forum would overcome that, as I think it is an overall software control (?) but in we could get round that - especially in such a mature forum.

Since MM is a site for all ages and cultures, we (the staff) have jointly made the decision that as hard it may seem at times, we must enforce our posting standard. We cannot be wishy-washy and allow one for one and not allow the same for another. In cases of wicca or erotica for example, there are other sites that welcome these topics and although we would not our members to feel the need to post elsewhere, we stand firm on our standard (we have to). It is not a reflection of the writer, and we hope they do not take it as such - it is just something to be said to uphold the standards (and limitations) that Mosaic Musings has placed upon itself. We do have a forum as mentioned above.

Regarding the editing of the board, there is a place where I have added words that will be changed to pound symbols. Mostly they are vulgar words and ones I would hope would NOT be allowed in serious poetry or prose for analysis, so yes, in way, it is software control. It would still happen in the adult forum too... it based on the entire board, not forum specific.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 24 05, 14:45
Post #9

Thank you, Cleo, for such a detailed explanation. I know that decisions along these lines must be difficult.

For myself, I am sure that there would be times when I would feel that a dark poem but with a humane message would be allowed to stand for crit when a poem with a sick basis would be removed. But that is because I am a politically-motivated writer.

I do not envy you the task.

Many thanks for the Mosaic: without you it would not exist as the warm, generous, nurturing place it is. GroupHug.gif

Fran

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 26 05, 06:19
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Fran for you reply! dance.gif

Cleo :)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 26 05, 10:33
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello all!  sun.gif

It appears my last message regarding our critique forums may have been misinterpreted (and my tone a bit aggressive).

This was not my intent as MM is for you, our members and should be used by you as it best suits your individual needs, whether it be to hone your writing skills, friendships and interactions with one another. It's all good!  :pharoah2

With the recent changes in the poetry forums, I may have seemed a bit "authoritarian", but please know that my heart is in the right place, as I only seek a desire to see the community succeed. (Thanks to Cailean for his kind words too!) GroupHug.gif

I DO want to see you continue your chit chat as you do currently in the threads (it is most often very stimulating  Viking.gif ), only be aware of the forum in which you are posting. The Basillica is always available to take common ideas that may develop in result of these conversations to a higher level outside of the critique forum and thread. For debates, we also have Alexandria's Debate forum too.  dragon.gif

Now, to answer a question some of you have raised with regard to my recent suggestion box thread in the Cuneiform Chronicles, YES, we DO have a forum for more "PG-13 and higher" type works. It hasn't really been used, but I'm certainly open to offer it now to our members.

It is called Shambhalan Sanctuary (located in the Pendragon's Prudence category, our members only forum with a password requirement. Please PM me for this password if you'd like to begin posting there as well. I'd like to see this forum start to see posts now since some of our members have inquired if we in fact had such a forum. Now is the perfect time to begin using it...  pcgal.gif

This forum is about topics (adult themes/alternative writings) not generally posted on our 'all ages' general forums for members who wish to interact on a more mature level. Our desire is to keep you, our member happy and posting right here at MM above all - that is my desire...  cloud9.gif  In this forum, we are moderating to maintain our COC (code of conduct) as we do with all other forums.

Best wishes to all and please DO offer your thoughts in the sugestion box thread.

Thanks in advance!  butterfly.gif

Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 26 05, 11:12
Post #12

Dearest Cleo,

Many thanks for all your efforts to keep us all happy - no easy task, I can imagine  GroupHug.gif

How many people (out of the 95 members) currently hold the password to the sanctuary? StarWars2.gif

A suggestion: would it be possible to change the forum board so that at the least the date of the most recent reply/post is shown - might spark interest (and save people having to go inside to find out if anything is actually new).

With love and appreciation for all your creativity here,   sun.gif
Fran

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 26 05, 11:49
Post #13

Hi Lori,

Thank you very much for your useful calefaction - much appreciated.

I think we are all are behind your efforts to ensure that posters in crit forums DO receive crits.

I'm delighted that you weren't speaking out AGAINST friendly inter-action but, rather, FOR proper crits. I couldn't agree more. (And I am sure I'm as guilty as anyone for failing at times). There have been occasions where I've been a little disappointed not to have been critted by some visitors to my work. Now, I post regularly and receive tremendously useful crit most of the time but sometimes individual responses can be disappointing. I'm perfectly content if someone says "Hi thanks for the read - enjoyed this" and very happy if someone takes issue with some of my points. I'm delighted if people offer alternative and better ways of saying something. And then I'll happily banter with them... but you're absolutely right. The starting point must be a response to the work somehow. I shall try harder to make sure I respond first and foremost before I launch into my inevitable other yatter.

Thanks for all the enormously hard and costly work you do for MM and we all know that it would not be the place which it is today without your careful and considerate captaincy. Sometimes a message like this sounds rather schmaltzy - but, if we all think carefully, it is not hard to see that MM would (if it existed at all) be a far poorer place without your constant involvement.

James.

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 26 05, 14:59
Post #14

Hi Lori

I agree, the most important starting point of any post on a thread should be a crit of a poem or relevant comment such as I enjoyed the read.  Often a poem will spark of discussion, something which I find very enjoyable and would hate to lose, so I am glad that we are still able to post those.

I echo James' words of thanks.  Your hard work is greatly appreciated.  I would be lost without this wonderful board.

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 26 05, 18:47
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Toumai @ Jan. 26 2005, 11:12)
Dearest Cleo,

Many thanks for all your efforts to keep us all happy - no easy task, I can imagine  GroupHug.gif

How many people (out of the 95 members) currently hold the password to the sanctuary? StarWars2.gif

A suggestion: would it be possible to change the forum board so that at the least the date of the most recent reply/post is shown - might spark interest (and save people having to go inside to find out if anything is actually new).

With love and appreciation for all your creativity here,   sun.gif
Fran

Hello Fran.

Prior to today, only a handful knew the password.

I will check the Ikonboard hack list this weekend to see if we can accomodate our request. As a side, did you know that I have a color coded star system already in place to alert us of new posts?

On the front page (where the categories are laid out), if the star is green, then there are new posts within that CATEGORY  (otherwise the star is purple).

Once you enter into a category, the stars colors will change. This indicates new FORUM posts - YELLOW for new and BLUE for no new posts within each forum of that particular category.

Thanks!
Cleo  :lion:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 26 05, 18:49
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks so much James and Nina.  :grinning:

I appreciate your feedback very much!  :sun:

Cheers. GroupHug.gif

Cleo  :cloud9:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 27 05, 13:44
Post #17

Dear Cleo,  angel.gif

Thank you! I had realised that the color of the stars must mean something, but I hadn't quite worked it out ...  Speechless.gif

The sanctuary seems likely to be a useful place; certainly busy today. dragon.gif

With love,
Fran

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 29 05, 13:04
Post #18

Hi Lori - sorry I hadn't seen your first reply to me, apologies.

Well, all the various recent changes do seem to be settling. I have heard it said that the poetry division (which I suggested) may be putting off freeformers from visiting RMR but I'm not absolutly convinced of that personally. However, if anyone does have any concerns about the poetry forums please give them another couple of weeks to settle then, if you're still concerned, post a few comments here. (I'm not trying to stop debate now - if anyone wishes to comment now, please do so - it's just I feel we ought to give the new system a fair chance).

Lori, you asked...

"I do not follow you here? We do have categories and Site Map? "

I wasn't saying that people couldn't get around (or if I was, my error). I was trying to say that the "front page" still acts as a barrier. Does ikonboard / php allow the hot-spotting of images (as does HTML). That is, to turn an image into the equiv. of hypertext? If it does then I would suggest a graphical front page. If not then I think we could still achieve that with special characters. But I'd quite like to see all the confusing words (small print) disappear from the openijng page and be replaced by simple, friendly clickable symbols - or text if that cannot be done. Something like a circle of icons - all clickable - to draw people in - especially newcomers and potential members.

That's me idea...

All the best and thanks for all the recent extra work as well as your on-going efforts. (I know it's easy for me to come up with ideas - harder for you to implement!)

James.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 30 05, 12:44
Post #19

Hi Cleo,

When you look at the main page that shows all the layout, you see the most recent posting in that area of MM.

Would it be perhaps be useful to have some indication of the last SEVERAL or at least FEW postings? Perhaps so much explanation of each area is unecessary, and that would allow a little more space?

For example, last night, after a quiet spell there were three or four new topics started in the announcements/banter area.

As the site gets busier things are disappearing down the list more quickly and even looking at the New Posts it is possible to miss things.

best wishes,
Fran

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 30 05, 13:01
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi James. Fish.gif

If I did something, it would need to be an HTML page, like an overlay onto the forum board - perhaps I could make a link near the top with some wording like: "For graphical layout, click here" or something.

I may not get to this one for a bit though as I am currently working on the Sep & Oct Menageries, and I still want to create the MMHC chapbook too for 2004.

I will work on some ideas though in the meantime. Hide.gif

I was also thinking of adding a 'table of contents' page with a few sample pages of works for each of our current chapbooks for sale in the store.  8ball.gif  

Stay tuned!

Hi Fran! fish2.gif

I found a hack (Latest Posts last 1-7 days) yesterday on the swarf.net site that allows you to see the active topics in the last 1-7 days -> very useful for site admins who don't want to miss posts and members too.  hsdance.gif It will look something like this: http://swarf.net/forums/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Latest

Can you view that link?

Stay tuned!

Cleo  galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 16:14

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: