post Dec 17 16, 17:58
Post #1

Trojan

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 1,150
Writer of: Poetry

As birds sit brooding, in the moon’s sphere,
their golden eyes and ears, tune in to faintly hear
the distant sights and sounds of happier men.
Phoebe, aware of her fading sweets, then
asks - is there more delight, within the heart,
than two lovers greeting after years apart?
Of sweet silent looks and unspoken word,
only the longing of a lover’s sigh is heard!
When true love bursts anew, in a mutual flame,
then shall he see, even as she calls his name,
the fierce longing within her passionate embrace!
Long denied, although he, from a distant place,
as his gold complexion did so clearly show,
had returned to claim the only love he would know!
At their parting, she had sworn to wait and be true,
and peace proclaims, this day: Life begins anew!

Rhymer. December 17th, 2016.

Snippets used in order: Birds sit brooding, in the moon’s sphere,
their golden eyes, and happier men, her fading sweets, is there more delight,
in the heart, in a mutual flame, shall he see, of sweet silent,
his gold complexion, and peace proclaims.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Psyche
post Dec 18 16, 23:45
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Well, it didn't take you long to compose the answer to this challenge! I really like it. The opening lines are perfect to slowly introduce the reader to the real themes of the poem. Distance. Longing. Reunion. Love. Faithfulness.

IMO, this is one of your best. Pushing those brain cells to their limit is working splendidly for you! I do hope you stick around and share many more poems with us. They need not be challenges. Many members move their poems over to Plato's Pearls of Wisdom, where they are move visible to others. And it's not a workshop forum, no crits!

Once again, have a happy, peaceful anniversary.
Best, Syl butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Dec 20 16, 08:59
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Denis,

I'm so glad you brought this forward from the archives. I, too, am a big fan of Shakespeare (I have his "Complete Works" in my bookcase.) and enjoy a good read quite often. This challenge was posted long before I came to MM so I missed it. I also missed my goal of writing a sonnet commemorating his works and your 62 year anniversary by one day. So, belated though it may be, here is my efforts on you both.

Love’s Flame

For Denis – Happy Anniversary

His gold complexion, sallow with the years
and she; her fading sweets a bitter pill,
lived life wherein a mutual flame sears
the outer shell. Still in the heart there fills

young love and is there more delight in store
or shall he see their golden eyes grow dim?
Soft light cast in the moon’s sphere will explore
as two lovebirds sit brooding on their limb.

The echoes of sweet silent years of bliss
may not compare to some and happier men
have shared the passion of a lover’s kiss
but have forgotten who she was or when.

True love shall last a lifetime and its flames
will burn where harmony and peace proclaims.

Phrases used in order of appearance: his gold complexion, her fading sweets, in a mutual flame, in the heart, is there more delight, shall he see, their golden eyes, in the moon’s sphere, birds sit brooding, of sweet silent, and happier men, and peace proclaims.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Dec 20 16, 10:49
Post #4

Trojan

Thanks Larry, and your poetic 'piece' and comments are much appreciated.

Like yourself I have a Complete Works of Shakespeare. A tome which is well thumbed and often read. Often my preferred relaxation and at times inspiration. I have on occasion, tried emulate his style using a soliloquy - such as The Quality of Mercy etc., being one piece I wrote. Another was "To sleep, perchance to dream, Aye there`s the rub!" However, I will readily admit, they do not do justice to the Bard, who stands above all others in this form. In my estimation, at least!

When I attended my Grammar School - some time back in my youth I believe - Lol. My English master - Mr Whittaker, was almost fanatical regarding William in the pursuit and understanding of his works, and for his fortitude in dealing with a bunch of youths (30 x 15 year olds in our class) I am eternally grateful. Certainly his way of explaining and dissecting Shakespeare`s works, was in a manner by which we found and understood the sheer descriptive beauty of the English language, of that erra. One which has, on many an occasion, stood me in good stead to this day!

Perhaps later - no snow falling overnight for a most pleasant change, so I shall not be shovelling - I will take a look-see at composing something along the same lines as another of his soliloquies. Always a Challenge to which I can relate.

I must also delve into the MMs archives again, for I`m sure, despite their age, there are some that will excite my little grey cells, that I will find apropos for another poetic endeavour!

Thanks for the support and yes, yesterday was a day for reminiscing. Not only over the telephone but by watching a goodly number of the old ( I had them digitalised) videos that began on our wedding day, in 1954. Being front and centre in the evening hours. I have them stored on a back-up WD storage USB device and watch them on our large TV by using my laptop. With my impaired sight, it`s a must. Our nostalgic hour or so of viewing was much enjoyed as we relived that day, along with a number of subsequent videos that took us back to earlier days. Scenes of our children, parents and other friends, who were there in spirit yesterday, that helped us celebrate! A few tears were hard to quell, I will admit.

Our marriage, has been a glorious relationship that Pauline and I have shared all these years, with nary a single regret! Any hard words, were soon forgotten whenever a `sorry` offering was made and accepted! Pride always took a back seat I assure you!

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and may the New Year grant you all you wish for - within reason! Lol. Ciao Denis aka Rhymer.

Rhymer
post Dec 20 16, 11:23
Post #5

Trojan

QUOTE (Psyche @ Dec 18 16, 23:45 ) *

Well, it didn't take you long to compose the answer to this challenge! I really like it. The opening lines are perfect to slowly introduce the reader to the real themes of the poem. Distance. Longing. Reunion. Love. Faithfulness.

IMO, this is one of your best. Pushing those brain cells to their limit is working splendidly for you! I do hope you stick around and share many more poems with us. They need not be challenges. Many members move their poems over to Plato's Pearls of Wisdom, where they are move visible to others. And it's not a workshop forum, no crits!

Once again, have a happy, peaceful anniversary.
Best, Syl butterfly.gif

Hi Syl. Thanks for your comment and support, which is always a `plus` in my book!

I think much of what I would say in response to yours is that at times, a thought will flash through my head - spawned or sponsored by a phrase or word, that sets the scene I would follow. So it happened with this. Perhaps, partly due to some of the phrases, imitating somewhat, a time in my own life, which turned out as my poem described.

My dear wife of 62 years - yesterday - and I had met only twice and that briefly - before I was sent overseas to the Far East - Korean War. 30 plus months later I returned, knowing full well, `She` was the one I wanted to be my wife. We had corresponded as pen pals throughout those months, and I had fallen in love with a young lady who was nothing more than a `picture` in my mind!

I am one who firmly believes that the words we use, when writing, no matter what the `piece` might be! Is a .window to their soul! I am seldom mistaken, if I can read, letters, poems, or whatever is written. I have always held the firm belief, that words are tantamount to body language which most of us can understand, when talking with someone face to face! On our third meeting - I kid you not, despite there being an almost 3 year gap between our second and third meetings - I was even more convinced she was the perfect `one` for me, and I proposed! And so my `feelings` have since been proven. End of story except for 62 years of wedded bliss and hopefully, more to come!

Perhaps more of my reply to Larry might be found as apropos as well.

For now, enjoy your day. Fondest regards. Denis aka Rhymer.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:58

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: