post Aug 3 03, 16:40
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Haiku is one of the most important forms of traditional Japanese poetry. Haiku is, today, a 17-syllable verse form consisting of three metrical units of 5, 7, and 5 syllables respectively.

Haiku (in English) usually appears as an unrhymed three-line verse. It should balance intense, fragmentary imagery with stress on rhythm and sound. Though it can be presented in three lines, a haiku structurally consists of two parts with a pause in between. The power behind it derives from the juxtaposition of the two images and the sense of surprise or revelation that the second image produces. A good haiku is like a good joke: the set-up, then the punch line.

In the broadest sense,Haiku is about Nature. In Japan, most haiku have a season word (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, New Years) that links the poem with the vast, archetypal round of the Year of Life. Today, in place of the season word, some contemporary haiku poets use keywords that express common themes of human experience (for example, "mother"). This, however, is a matter of controversy in modern haiku.

Some examples of tradition Haiku are listed below by Japanese Poet, Kobayashi Issa for you to enjoy.

in falling rain
one man remains...
blossom shade

the cherry blossoms
that stirred me, shade me
no more

through falling snow
a spring breeze
blows

have you come
to save us haiku poets?
red dragonfly

Please feel free to add to this thread your own haiku..
Mosaic Musings Staff

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Brahms_*
post Aug 28 03, 12:11
Post #2

Seven sunrises
bumping up Tolt River Road
on the way to work.

A low gibbous moon
follows treetops and the bus
up the logging road.

Cascade eastwind blows
down long valley waking
young fir tips swaying.

I ride on logging roads
slippery with frost in the middle
of a sunrise fire.

Purpled pink hues pierce
frosted air to dance laketop
between mountain pairs.

Aphrodite
post Aug 30 03, 06:52
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 7
Writer of: Poetry

QUOTE (Brahms @ Aug. 28 2003, 12:11)
Seven sunrises
bumping up Tolt River Road
on the way to work.

A low gibbous moon
follows treetops and the bus
up the logging road.

Cascade eastwind blows
down long valley waking
young fir tips swaying.

I ride on logging roads
of a sunrise fire.

Purpled pink hues pierce
frosted air to dance laketop
between mountain pairs.

Hi Stephen~

Marvelously sweet and shining  sun.gif with colorful images!

Keep on writing!

Take care~

lovie.gif
Aphrodite (Lindi)

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 30 03, 07:39
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Nicely done Brahms!  :sun:

Look forward to reading more haiku from you!  :pharoah2

~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Morgan le Fay
post Aug 31 03, 22:09
Post #5

Assyrian

Member No.: 20

A small collection:

Soft air, clear night skies
Katydids and crickets sing
Moonbeams stretch for miles

Raindrops glisten, fall,
Silver Spider's garden web
Tears of the twilight

The Blue Heron lands
A stately Pterodactyl
Ancient Oak limbs sway

Morgan le Fay
Mistress of Magic Wizard.gif

·······IPB·······

"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."

- ?Mallory, Morte d'Arthur

MM Award Winner

Guest_Brahms_*
post Aug 31 03, 22:30
Post #6

Very fine, Morgan, besides the 5-7-5 balance they so easily place me into the place and time you captured.  So good because that is part of the intention of haiku.  I shall be happy to share more of mine as I learn to ride the 3-1-2 balance, after I share my next poem.

Riding with new saddle,
Brahms

Guest_Brahms_*
post Aug 31 03, 22:52
Post #7

Pasture Waiting

Water cascading
thin stream into water trough
summer layers land.

Munching horses bow
delightful evening dusk
extra hay now gone.

Horse-trough goldfish rise
up wondering dancing flies
anyone care dance?

Setting sun deepens woods
light green leaves becoming gone
quiet rests the land.

JustDaniel
post Sep 1 03, 07:28
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Summer Leaves for Fall

sunned limbs twist inward,
packing up her trunk, leaving
memories to wind

© Daniel J Ricketts 01 Sept 2003

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 1 03, 08:56
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Brahms @ Aug. 31 2003, 23:30)
Very fine, Morgan, besides the 5-7-5 balance they so easily place me into the place and time you captured.  So good because that is part of the intention of haiku.  I shall be happy to share more of mine as I learn to ride the 3-1-2 balance, after I share my next poem.

Riding with new saddle,
Brahms

Hi Brahms.

In ALL the threads within "Karnak Crossing" - the 1:3:2 rule is NOT in effect. This is a learning forum and all the threads posted here do not have those 'rules' attached....

Cheers! dance.gif
~Cleo  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Sep 11 03, 05:26
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Hey, LorII! Speechless.gif

Try ignoring THIS one! farmer.gif

Strawberries Blonde

cut off their green hair;

bowl them over at knifepoint

to serve, cream-caked, whipped

© Daniel J Ricketts 11 Sept 2003

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 11 03, 05:29
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Just Daniel @ Sep. 11 2003, 06:26)
Hey, LorII! Speechless.gif

Try ignoring THIS one! farmer.gif

Strawberries Blonde

cut off their green hair;

bowl them over at knifepoint

to serve, cream-caked, whipped

© Daniel J Ricketts 11 Sept 2003

LOL.gif Daniel!  laugh.gif  sun.gif

Well, since I'm BLONDE AND I like starwberries, methinks me like!  dance.gif  Wizard.gif  Jester.gif

YUMMY!!!!! pumpkin.gif  Pharoah.gif

HUGAROOOOS!
~Cleo   pharoah2.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Brahms_*
post Sep 11 03, 12:27
Post #12

Low clouds scuttling
gentle dark and white
these Trappist men.

Trappist quiet
rainsong
on the pond.

Gentle rain
wetting yellow grass
men move inside!

Youthful purpose widens
child and mother distance
walking home.

A hermit bullfrog
bellows all his eveings
over monk's path.

Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 11 03, 16:52
Post #13

Hi,

One can also have a haiku cycle where there are several verses (stanzas if one prefers) and in which the first line of the one verse is the same as the last line of the previous - with a final wrap-round at the end, back to the beginning. Moreover, the concept should also by cyclical. I present one below. I seem to remember that I had a doubt about the exact syllable count - I can never seem to assess those correctly. However, basically it is a genuine haiku cycle (it was written for a class in which I was a student some years ago). I will re-post this for crit at some future point; I post it here as an example of a haiku cycle (although you may make any comment if you wish - feel free). It is also in the haiku tradition of observing nature and its changes. By the way, it really was inspired by watching my dogs leap into the air in futile attempts to catch flies.

© James Oxenholme 2003. I, James Oxenholme, hereby assert and give notice of my right under Section 77 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (Law of Wales & England - as recognised by the international Berne Convention) to be identified as the author of the following article:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The World's Dog Days
by Jox (Writing as JL - # 0025)

Subtitle: The Splendid Futility Haiku
(With acknowledgement to Wilfred Owen)

Dogs jumping for flies;
An ancient tree gently dies.
Summer fades each day.

Summer fades each day;
Ferns turn brown along the way.
Winter's coming soon.

Winter's coming soon;
Insects wrap in their cocoon.
The World hibernates.

The World hibernates;
Frosty hoar clings to the slates.
All is quiet now.

All is quiet now;
Snow covers every tree's bough.
Spring awaits its time

Spring awaits its time;
Magically, brown turns to lime.
The World in flourish.

The World in flourish;
Life everywhere to nourish.
The sun's rays give life.

The sun's rays give life;
Why have a World full of strife?
Dogs jumping for flies.

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 11 03, 18:20
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jox @ Sep. 11 2003, 17:52)
Hi,

One can also have a haiku cycle where there are several verses (stanzas if one prefers) and in which the first line of the one verse is the same as the last line of the previous - with a final wrap-round at the end, back to the beginning. Moreover, the concept should also by cyclical. I present one below. I seem to remember that I had a doubt about the exact syllable count - I can never seem to assess those correctly. However, basically it is a genuine haiku cycle (it was written for a class in which I was a student some years ago). I will re-post this for crit at some future point; I post it here as an example of a haiku cycle (although you may make any comment if you wish - feel free). It is also in the haiku tradition of observing nature and its changes. By the way, it really was inspired by watching my dogs leap into the air in futile attempts to catch flies.

© James Oxenholme 2003. I, James Oxenholme, hereby assert and give notice of my right under Section 77 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (Law of Wales & England - as recognised by the international Berne Convention) to be identified as the author of the following article:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

The World's Dog Days
by Jox (Writing as JL)

Subtitle: The Splendid Futility Haiku
(With acknowledgement to Wilfred Owen)

Dogs jumping for flies;
An ancient tree gently dies.
Summer fades each day.

Summer fades each day;
Ferns turn brown along the way.
Winter's coming soon.

Winter's coming soon;
Insects wrap in their cocoon.
The World hibernates.

The World hibernates;
Frosty hoar clings to the slates.
All is quiet now.

All is quiet now;
Snow covers every tree's bough.
Spring awaits its time

Spring awaits its time;
Magically, brown turns to lime.
The World in flourish.

The World in flourish;
Life everywhere to nourish.
The sun's rays give life.

The sun's rays give life;
Why have a World full of strife?
Dogs jumping for flies.

WOW!  :artist:  :musicband:  :angel:

These are great! You've added another level to this form.

Wonderful!  :pharoah2  :cloud9:

Excellent sample as well!

Cheers!
~Cleo  :pharoah:  :fish:  :tigger:  :glitter:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Sep 26 03, 01:50
Post #15

Dear Jox

What'a all this about "I don't do poetic forms" !

This cycle is brilliant, and as said, takes us to a new level .....

Love
Alan

Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 26 03, 13:39
Post #16

Cleo and Alan,

Thank you very much indeed. I really only dabble in poetry whilst trying to be a successful novelist (ie have one published!). Even more rarely do I use a form - think this and my recent toilet are the only two, apart from a three-line odd hikau. I suspect that the only time I can write in form is when the whim (sounding like Cleo now!) provides me with a strong tale to tell. Anything weaker and it has to be free-form.

Still, I have the scissors here and will be cutting your very flattering comments off the screen and framing them on the wall.

Thank you. Jox.

Cybele
post Oct 20 03, 03:24
Post #17

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Good Morning to all wave.gif

Since this is my first visit to Haiku and since it is a form I have never yet tried, I address this to the inspirational pieces I have read here.

I ride on logging roads
of a sunrise fire.                          

Horse-trough goldfish rise
up wondering dancing flies
anyone care dance?                    

Youthful purpose widens
child and mother distance
walking home.

Stephen these are wonderful mind pictures. I see them so clearly through your eyes. smart.gif

Soft air, clear night skies
Katydids and crickets sing
Moonbeams stretch for miles  

Morgan - of all your lovely pieces, I absolutely love this one. I take it Katydids are some kind of cicada (what a wonderful name!)  Wizard.gif

The World's Dog Days

James,

This whole cycle is very, very lovely.  The whole work causes emotional reactions in me, and I'm sure in everyone else who reads it. sun.gif

Love and congratulations to you all

Grace farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Oct 20 03, 03:30
Post #18

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hello Daniel,

Summer Leaves for Fall

sunned limbs twist inward,
packing up her trunk, leaving
memories to wind

Clever use of colour to illustrate this one Daniel and a great image of Autumn's end. Juggle.gif

Cheers

Grace farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Oct 20 03, 04:08
Post #19

Grace; most kind of you (as always!). Thank you very much. That's one of the nicest things anyone has said about my writing. Keeps one going and all that. So, if anyone asks why I'm still turning out poems when I should shut up I'll blame you!

Again, thank you Grace. I really appreciate what you said.

Strangely, I have just been replying to a crit of that very poem (I have posted it in the poetry crit area now). So if you wish to take a look please feel free to do so.

James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 20 03, 07:15
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

This is coming along nicely!  :)

Although I must admit that this one:

I ride on logging roads
of a sunrise fire.                          

Is not Haiku (too many syllables per line) although it is pretty!  :sun: Brahms - would you like to re-write that one perhaps so it's 5/7/5?

Cheers!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

123 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 17:57

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: