Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Writers of Tomorrow - Revised Feb 21, 2004

An ancient scroll was claimed today,
inside its pages, life’s cachet.
Its world is filled with pensive muse
and splashed with lasting weathered hues.

From cultures shaped, a kingdom rules;
to fragile lands destroyed by fools.
The tattered pages I read through
of our creation, our debut.

The rise and fall of all mankind
re-lived through generations’ blind.
Reflections of their faith hold fast,
to change kismet; revive their past.

If we could scribe a conjured scroll
that’s cherished by our birthright whole,
would it be cloaked within the lands
to be dug up by future hands?

Would we succeed, would we prevail?
Would we be shared in small detail?
They say we are the wisdom’s eye,
the writers of tomorrow’s nigh.

© 2004 Lorraine M Kanter
All Rights Reserved by Lorraine M Kanter as an unpublished work

Writers of Tomorrow
inside its pages; life’s cachet.
and splashed with lasting colored hues.

From cultures shaped, a kingdom rules,

re-lived through generations blind.
And all the while, faith holds fast
to change kismet, to make it last.

would it be cloaked within the lands,
to be dug up by future’s hands?

the writers of tomorrow’s why.

© 2004 Lorraine M Kanter

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Don_*
post Jan 11 04, 15:18
Post #2

Hi Cleo,

Hard rhyme scheme to extend as you did.  Ruled/fools do not rhyme, but rule/fools is close enough. "...kingdom rules" is even better ryhme with "...fools"

"Colored" & "hues" seemed too close in potential meaning to me.  Colored could be nuanced away from physical to mental, but I suggest:
"and splashed with lasting colored hues"
     be replaced with
"and splashed with ageless lasting hues"

Oh, BTW change "cache" to "cachet" to ryhme with "today".

Does "Mankind" need capitalized?

Bet this poem kept you awake awhile.

Don

A diskette was found
in sand the other day
"If it's a message,
what does it say?"

Until a player is found,
a maybe anyday,
"If it's a message
to us -- no way!"

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 11 04, 15:44
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thank you very much Don. I've taken some of suggestions already!

Kudos to you!
~Cleo :)

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jan 29 04, 20:03
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

WoW! Lori

I like this one sun.gif  Read.gif

I do agree with Don about the `coloured hues' being repetitive.

How about

and splashed with lasting scripted hues

or

and splashed with lasting coloured clues

Just a coupla thoughts

Hugs now
Snow

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Athena
post Jan 30 04, 01:50
Post #5

Egyptian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 8

Wow Lori!

As I've been saying right along, since first we met ..... hmmmm ..... how long ago ... maybe a year ... this is marvelous!  Basically I agree with Don and I see you apparently do, too.    :smart:

Man, I wish I had some of your talent, girl!  Maybe someday when I'm old and grey it'll all come flooding in and I'll be a Grandma Moses of poetry, but for now I'm delighted to sit back and read you, Daniel, and some of the other oh-so-talented writers!

Please carry on, dear woman!       dance.gif

Hugs,
Dolly    :sun:

Guest_Ponderlust_*
post Feb 1 04, 08:24
Post #6

Hi Lori... I like the subject and it has me seeing our poems as time capsules for the future.

inside its pages; life’s cachet.
and splashed with lasting colored hues.

I know it would alter your meter, but I can't avoid wanting to see an "a" before "pensive" in L3... or as "pensive musings". Maybe that's why I stick to free verse?

From cultures shaped, a kingdom rules,

re-lived through generations blind.
to change kismet, to make it last.

"And all the while" feels like a filler... not really adding anything to the big picture of the poem... and L4's "to make it last" is a bit cliche`. I really think reworking the last two lines of this stanza will make this stanza much better.

would it be cloaked within the lands,

"Conjured" in L1 has me wondering "conjured from where"? and in L4, I would say "future hands" since making it a possessive gives it an over-essy feel to it.

Would we be shared in small detail? >>>nice line!
the writers of tomorrow’s why.

>>>"the" in L3 feels like another filler and gives it an awkward feel... but I do like how you end this poem... but I wonder if future writers will see us as "tomorrow's huh?".

Cary...

Guest_Don_*
post Feb 1 04, 08:47
Post #7

QUOTE(Athena @ Jan. 30 2004, 00:50)
Wow Lori!

As I've been saying right along, since first we met ..... hmmmm ..... how long ago ... maybe a year ... this is marvelous!  Basically I agree with Don and I see you apparently do, too.    smart.gif

Man, I wish I had some of your talent, girl!  Maybe someday when I'm old and grey it'll all come flooding in and I'll be a Grandma Moses of poetry, but for now I'm delighted to sit back and read you, Daniel, and some of the other oh-so-talented writers!

Please carry on, dear woman!       dance.gif

Hugs,
Dolly    sun.gif

To Athena,

As to your becoming a Grandma Moses of poetry, I must say this comical thought.

Since she is known to cut larger pictures into smaller for sale, your action would be to cut long epics into mini-epics to maximise profitable sale.

May your house be safe from tigers
and all the dragons flee.

:) ..Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 11 04, 12:16
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks all for stopping by!

I'll be back when the ringing in my ears has stopped. I'm hearing ka-ching ka-ching - Oh wait! That's NOT from our Vegas machines - it's eveyone else around us winning! LOL.gif

Ah well - it's still FUN trying!

cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Zeus˛_*
post Feb 12 04, 10:20
Post #9

Hi Lor,
agree about the previously mentioned colorued hues, think we hae always envisioned ancient scrolls in black and somewhat deteriorated white.
Like the thought of the present day writers, taking up the challenge of the written word, to later be discovered.
Larry talktohand.gif

Athena
post Feb 12 04, 14:25
Post #10

Egyptian

Hi Lori,

Finally had a chance to get back to this.  With my wedding day looming closer I find I'm busier and busier!  Oh well, it's all worth it.

I think this poem is super grand!! However,  I do have the following suggestions:

Writers of Tomorrow

inside its pages; life’s cachet.  I feel a comma here in place of the semi-colon.
and splashed with lasting colored hues. Like everyone else, I too feel "colored" hues is redundant.  How about something like "heathered" hues?  Or "weatherer" or "techni" or "mottled" or something else, but not "colored".

of our creation, our debut.  This is not a complete sentence. You need to say something about the "tattered pages"...
From cultures shaped, a kingdom rules,"a kingdom rules" does not seem to be in sync with the rest of this line. However, I don't seem to come up with any suggestions!

re-lived through generations blind. This would be a complete sentence with the addition of the word "is" before "re-lived". Otherwise, it isn't.  
to change kismet, to make it last. I've read and reread this line and still come up with difficulty.  Your subject, "faith holds fast" doesn't fit with "kismet" or "destiny" considering the last four words following.

would it be cloaked within the lands, No comma necessary here.

the writers of tomorrow’s why.  I've also had difficulty with this sentence.  "tomorrow's why" doesn't make sense to me. I think it really needs a change to something that doesn't feel like you're stretching to make a rhyme.  Also, "the" before wisdom is out of step here with the rest of the line.

© 2004 Lorraine M Kanter

I think that's about it, Lori.  Hope you find something here you can use.  Talk to you later.

Hugs,
Dolly

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 21 04, 12:18
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Cary, Larry, Don and Dolly!

I have made a revision based on your thoughts.

Thank you!
Lori :)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Athena
post Feb 21 04, 17:10
Post #12

Egyptian

Hi Lori,

Just checking back and find you've created an OUTSTANDING poem!!  This one is ready for publishing, IMHO.  Wowwww what a feat!  Would that I had your ability to write, dear woman; what a treasure!   cheer.gif

Looking forward to the next and the next and the ... well, you get the picture.   laugh.gif

Hugs,

Dolly   butterfly.gif

Charon
post Feb 21 04, 17:18
Post #13

Egyptian

Member No.: 5

Hey Cleo,

I like, especially the old times reference and stuff.  

If I might be so bold, is it possible to leave out the "The's."  Someone taught me a long time ago, they are usually not needed.  However, in rhyming sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good job lady,  glad I found this one.

Charon

·······IPB·······

Beware the smile
for it hides a good time.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Feb 21 04, 17:30
Post #14

Your revised verse is excellent Lori.

Don :pharoah2  :pharoah2  :pharoah2

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 22 04, 08:08
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Athena @ Feb. 21 2004, 17:10)
Hi Lori,

Just checking back and find you've created an OUTSTANDING poem!!  This one is ready for publishing, IMHO.  Wowwww what a feat!  Would that I had your ability to write, dear woman; what a treasure!   cheer.gif

Looking forward to the next and the next and the ... well, you get the picture.   laugh.gif

Hugs,

Dolly   butterfly.gif

Hi Dolly!  sun.gif  butterfly.gif

You are so kind! I made the revisions yesterday because I also edited my 'proof' of my first chapbook coming out at Shadow Poetry, 'Chimerical Cleo' ~ WHIPPEEEEE!  dance.gif  dance.gif  dance.gif  cloud9.gif  cloud9.gif  cloud9.gif

There were a few typos near the end of the book (it is 36 pages) and I took the opportunity to revise this poem because I knew it wasn't quite right. I DO hope Marie can made the final changes to this piece before she does the final. huh.gif  dragon.gif

I really like the message of this one - got the idea from watching all the History Channel shows on Archaeology and things of that sort. Glad ya came back!  lovie.gif

LOL! I'm so busy with the ADMIN stuff, not sure when Cleo will think of something new! LOL! BUT alas - I DID just post the newest Pandora last night - I think you'll like the topic, "Shrouded Echoes" - from Larry!  king.gif

Just got back revised MM site details, the NEW COC, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and info on our publishing questions from way back when. I will be updating them today and will send along a PM to advise all.

HUGAROOOOOS!
~Cleo  cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 22 04, 08:12
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Charon @ Feb. 21 2004, 17:18)
Hey Cleo,

I like, especially the old times reference and stuff.  

If I might be so bold, is it possible to leave out the "The's."  Someone taught me a long time ago, they are usually not needed.  However, in rhyming sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good job lady,  glad I found this one.

Charon

Hi Butch!  :vic:

Thanks for stopping by! You raise a good point, I've also heard to try and weed out those 'the's', 'ands', etc... when writing poems. It is HARD to do!

I will remember to monitor those!  :smart:

Hugs!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 22 04, 08:13
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Don @ Feb. 21 2004, 17:30)
Your revised verse is excellent Lori.

Don :pharoah2  :pharoah2  :pharoah2

Hey there Don!

Hope your PC is all better now!?  :grinning:  :oops:

Thanks for stopping back in to check it out! Glad to receive your input!

Hugs!
~Cleo   Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Feb 22 04, 08:36
Post #18

Thanks for the good wishes.

The PC isn't fixed yet.  Alan provided excellent suggestions, but patient is too sick to take medicine.  

If something super serious happens, you will be the first to notice my absence. rofl.gif

Don :pharoah2

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:59

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: