Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Many thanks to those who've responded thus far! sun.gif

I've seen a few commonalities within the responses such as:
[*]Navigation changes (perhaps graphical alternate page(s)
[*]Wizard Awards - perhaps NOT for individual replies & reads? I could revamp it to be given only when the member titles change (and will need to adjust the numbers) - visit Laureate's Legion forum for details.
[*]Member Snippet challenges (in the Acropolis) Alan?
[*]Poems in crit threads - seems this one is on the fence (suggestions say ONLY IF pertinent to the tile being critiqued AND with a crit offered of course IF done so to ASSIST the writer's knowledge of the form).
[*]Off topic discussions in tiles - perhaps -  if pertinent to topic - AND NOT TOO in depth else - start new thread in Alexandria's Library....

So far, we've received 16 responses, or 14% of the membership.

PLEASE - this is a very important step to learning what YOU, our members DESIRE. This is your opportunity to tell us here - don't be silent! laugh.gif

Here's hoping MORE will respond as well....

Thanks in advance all! wolf.gif

~Cleo sings.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Merlin_*
post May 21 05, 08:01
Post #22

13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?

This is what drove me away.
1. I have never yet used my writing as one-upmanship.  I posted what I felt was light-hearted (verse) banter in a thread, being motivated by the posting.  Mine was not a polished work meant to stand-alone or compete with the posting.  It was moved without consultation into its own thread, which it clearly was not intended as.  
2. While it may not be often, we do this regularly elsewhere.  Sometimes one posting will generate a thought like, “I wrote something similar some time ago – here’s mine.” Of course, the example should not be of a size to overtake the original – most people do have that much common sense.
3. It’s both an exercise in wit and skill when this happens.  A long while back, on Sonnet Central, somebody posted his résumé in sonnet form.  The replies took off with job offerings in sonnet form – a very humorous and fun thread enjoyed by all, the original poster, the participants, and the readers.  This sort of thing continues all the time.
4. If you wish to dictate to me how I am to reply, we are not meant for each other.  I shall not list my accomplishments, but I don’t feel I require lessons in how to post at this stage, thanks.

Guest_to-be-continued_*
post May 21 05, 09:18
Post #23

I am so new to MM that I am not able to respond very much, BUT (ha, ha) I have found the site difficult to navigate.  If I were more experienced it would be much easier, but this is totally new to me.  Perhaps a "newbies" message board in very simple format "outside" what seems like tons of choices and words to read.  That way we newbies could ask our questions as they came up and get a quick response.  Somehow it would feel better to me than reading a summary of what things mean.  (I'm too slow on the uptake to remember things until I need to use them anyway.)  For example, if there were a quick "post a question" board in a prominent place, I'd right away quick go ask what "Quote" means on the upper right-hand side of each posting.  I have no idea!--some would say "haven't a clue"!  It's not that I couldn't write to Cleo who is just wonderful, but one needs to ask these things as they come up without getting lost.  (You see, I'd worry that I couldn't find my way back to what I'm writing in this post, or I'd delete it somehow and give up in frustration.  (Ain't it awful?)  Does "Enter your Post" mean "Send" (on left above "Clickable smilies")?  Does "Add Reply" mean "Send"?  I hope so because that is what I am going to click on when I'm done here!  

The staff is SO wonderful here!!  Except for their kindness I'd probably give up in frustration (not proud of myself for that).  

There seem to be too many words introducting the forums?!  My sense of it is of needing space, literally, as if I've fallen into a mass of information on how to do my taxes, or avoid the KGB, or a Who's Who in a foreign tongue!  My teeny, tiny brain needs space and room to look around.

I do love the playfulness of the site.  The child in me (I like children) loves to add the little smiles, balloons, etc.  Thanks for them!

I've checked out a few critique forums in my explorations and like what I read.  The comments see very supportive and there is a "family" feel to this place.  I even worry that I could not be as kind and polite (in general, not about the poetry which I have been touched by).  I have a little of the cowardly lionness in me so I'd probably never post a poem until I felt that I would not be rejected!  Isn't it funny how, once you put something out there, you begin to hear (and read) all comments as if they might carry a hint of unjust criticism?  Does this just happen to my overinflated ego?!

Well, I hope I've spelled all the words correctly in this because I have no idea how to do a spellcheck from here, i.e., "quick response".

Thanks for listening and keep on keeping on!

Now I can play..... :O  cool.gif  MusicBand.gif  Newbie.gif  Artist.gif  Fencing.gif  LOL.gif  :tweety:  sun.gif  dance.gif  wave.gif  wave.gif

Guest_Toumai_*
post May 21 05, 11:13
Post #24

Hi 2BC   cheer.gif

I'm glad that you have stuck with MM (hey - hope you find you way back here so you get to read this reply, hehe! ) and the staff have helped.

The smileys are fun - adding a nice touch sometimes.  sings.gif  Guitar.gif

I even worry that I could not be as kind and polite (in general, not about the poetry which I have been touched by).

I don't think you'll have any trouble at all ... besides we all make mistakes from time to time - and everyone is pretty forgiving (says she, with relief  oops.gif ).

I have a little of the cowardly lionness in me so I'd probably never post a poem until I felt that I would not be rejected!  Isn't it funny how, once you put something out there, you begin to hear (and read) all comments as if they might carry a hint of unjust criticism?  Does this just happen to my overinflated ego?!

No way would ANY poem be 'rejected' by anyone here! All poems are precious to their writers! We have several beginners, albeit enthusiastic; people who have only been writing poetry for a short time. If you are nervous, just add a few lines with your poem explainign what kind of crit you would like ("gentle crit for newbie please," or similar). There are also several non-crit forums where we would simply come and enjoy. Personally (I've only been writing a few years, and poetry only attacked me last summer) I find it helpful to have critical feedback.

Good luck!  :pharoah2

Fran

Guest_Nina_*
post May 21 05, 12:25
Post #25

Hi to-be-continued wave.gif

I know this board can seem a bit daunting at first, but you soon become familiar with it.  

If you want to reply to a post, there are two ways of doing so - either with quick post or by clicking on ADD REPLY which is what I use as there are more options available, including Spell Check Post.  

If you are worried about losing what you are going to post, then type it first in word and paste it into MM, then it doesn't matter if things go wrong, you have still got a copy.

If you click QUOTE on someone's post it will copy what they have written in a white box.

Take a deep breath and post one of your poems/stories, nothing here is ever rejected.  When I first joined in December 2004, I was very nervous about posting my work as I'd not written much and had very little experience of receiving crit (critique) and even less at offering  crit, but everyone was so helpful and considerate in showing me ways of polishing what I'd written that my confidence soon grew.

I look forward to seeing some of your work

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post May 21 05, 14:53
Post #26

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Guest @ May 21 2005, 09:01)
13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?

This is what drove me away.
1. I have never yet used my writing as one-upmanship.  I posted what I felt was light-hearted (verse) banter in a thread, being motivated by the posting.  Mine was not a polished work meant to stand-alone or compete with the posting.  It was moved without consultation into its own thread, which it clearly was not intended as.  
2. While it may not be often, we do this regularly elsewhere.  Sometimes one posting will generate a thought like, “I wrote something similar some time ago – here’s mine.” Of course, the example should not be of a size to overtake the original – most people do have that much common sense.
3. It’s both an exercise in wit and skill when this happens.  A long while back, on Sonnet Central, somebody posted his résumé in sonnet form.  The replies took off with job offerings in sonnet form – a very humorous and fun thread enjoyed by all, the original poster, the participants, and the readers.  This sort of thing continues all the time.
4. If you wish to dictate to me how I am to reply, we are not meant for each other.  I shall not list my accomplishments, but I don’t feel I require lessons in how to post at this stage, thanks.

Thank you for your response to this one question Eric. One is better than none.

As I've mentioned previously, as the site owner and one who also belongs other forums myself, it is nearly impossible (being an optimist) to please all the members all the time. We strive to find a happy medium for all. While I may own this site, it is the interaction of our members that make it what it is, which ultimately becomes the driving force for me to make changes as we grow.

Yes, perhaps we erred when we made the decision to add the 'no poem responses in a crit thread' forum participation rule. However, having said that, it is one of the reasons for this survey. I find it valuable to learn what our members have said thus far. Most who have said 'yes' added it would most likely only bother them if the poem responses were not relevant to their own work or if the responses were not aimed to further teach the form (without over-taking the thread) or quote small passages from larger works.  This may be enough to re-visit the rule (nothing is ever set-in-stone here) and modify it. Having only about 14% respond is fair, I am hopeful that my personal goal to see a 25% response rate or more happens.

With regard to #1: I don't think anyone saw that particular post as 'one-upmanship? I know I did not. It was unfortunate that your reply was moved without consultation and I had personally responded to the mod who did it that same day. Most of my staff are newbies (as am I to the roles) and so we learn by experience, some good, some bad.

With regard to #2: "Of course, the example should not be of a size to overtake the original".  YES - that is what most of us think as well. The problem is determining what is OK, what borders the fence and what clearly is not OK. When we first adopted the rule addition, we did not want to decide between the three choices for sake of ease. Perhaps now we can move forward and made changes as I already mentioned?

With regard to #3: YES - I agree. It IS an exercise in wit and skill. However, it is also a decision of how much is 'too much' AND if the post does NOT OFFER a critique in the process. Some again rest on the fence, bordering one or the other or both. It certainly is a great motivator when your work(s) sparks motivation in another. Our goal still remains the same - to focus the efforts (of other readers to the thread) on the poem at hand. As long as the replies do that, I have no issues with making a change.

With regard to #4: As it is with everything in life, it boils down to PERCEPTION and RESPECT. We have never dictated how one must reply in a thread, all we ask is to follow the 1:3:2 rule, respect each other, teach and have fun. We have many levels of writers and must cater to all.

Thanks for your reply Merlin. We do hope you will post again with us.

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 21 05, 15:00
Post #27

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello!  wave.gif

The following are the responses from Di-Die.
Thanks for taking the time to answer our survey. We appreciate your feedback Diana!

~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

1. How did you find out about MM?

From Fran Martel

2. What persuaded you to join?

It seemed an interesting site with friendly members when I visited it as a guest after Fran had been enthusing about it.

3. How long have you been a member of MM?

Since Feb 2005 - I was the 100 member!

4. How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month,
what can we do to encourage you to become more active?

Initially I did not visit very often due to a very slow modem connection.  But we have now gone broadband so I would like to visit much more often maybe 3/4 times a week.

5. What do you enjoy most about MM?

The informal chatty nature of the threads. I hope to visit the crit forums more often now.

6. What do you like least about MM?

I'm not confident about critiquing others work so the 1.3.2 rule causes me problems.  Not that I think it needs changing - it is a good rule.  There are plenty of other things to get involved in which don't need crits.

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If  not, please explain why.

Yes, very.  I had a lovely welcome when I joined.

8. Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?

It was a little confusing when I first logged on - particularly with my slow connection.   Took a while to get used to the 'nesting' of tiles within threads within boards!

9. Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM?

A Glossary of terms might be useful for beginners including 'board-speak' e.g. LOL and ROLF.  I didn't understand what people were on about at first.

10. As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?

I've read the participation rules at the top of the page.

11. Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting?

After registering, before posting.

12. Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.

Those given to my only posting were gratefully received and positive.

13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it  interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?

Not had any experience of this but feel that it would be intrusive unless for demonstration purposes.

14. When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?

Again no experience, but it i feel that it would only interfere if it was a long heavy discussion completely off topic.

15. Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help
 us to improve MM)?

Not at the moment, wait till I've a bit more experience!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post May 21 05, 17:34
Post #28

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Interaction with Lori from our interaction at another site.

Same as above.

From the beginning, originally as a Praetorian or whatever it's called, but I had to be away for some time surrounding my knee replacements and other matters and could not continue in that capacity, plus others had come to do the important responsibilities.

4. How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?
At least a few times per week most of the time, but occasionally I have to be away because of other responsibilities.

Stimulation, interaction with critiquing in the poetry forums and learning poetry in general.

So much going on that I can't participate and feel like an outsider because feel kind of left out with the 'in-talk' re goings-on at times.  Also difficulty finding things that are referred to, especially when someone casually refers to it without a link.  I honestly get lost trying to navigate. As some other friends have told me about the set-up: "too busy" [not referring to the activity].

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.
Generally, yes, very much.

8. Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?
No, and I don't know what to suggest, honestly.

Not at this time.

10. As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?
Of course... but I've also forgotten a few along the way and had to be reminded... for which I'm always thankful.

11. Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting?
Both

12. Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.
For the most part, yes.

Not at all, if it's illustrative, helpful, offering assistance, or part of a critique. [As you know, I've previously sometimes OFFERED a critique in poetic form just for fun -- for persons whom I know appreciate that.] If it's a poem that has been mused by the poem or is a poem that the subject poem reminds one of, it's better to offer a link to another place the poem may be posted, IMO.

14. When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?
When it becomes lengthy, yes. It's often prevented me from reading critiques of others' poems simply because it can't wade through the interesting but to me irrelevant matters so I can assist with a critique, since I'm a horribly slow reader.  It just frustrates me and has sometimes prevented me from posting a critique... but I know that's just me.

15. Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)?
Personally, I think that the Wizard Awards and the "Congratulations" and "Thank you's" for them are extremely detracting from the boards.  Kinda makes me think the reading oughta be spread about to others.  [ I hope this issn't seen as sour grapes.  I've gotten a couple of them myself, and to me it was kind of a shoulder-shrug.  I hope that's not too harsh. It's just my opinion.

Blessings to all.  I enjoy interacting with everyone and just wish I could have more of it1

sLightly weary from carpentry, going up and down ladders and painting prep, Daniel  :sun:

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Siren
post May 21 05, 17:57
Post #29

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13
Writer of: Poetry

From its creator, Lori ... :)

The search for a good poetic home where the members are kind and warm and the mods always helpful, not to mention the members too. :)

Since August 2003 ... One year nine months now.

4. How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?

It's the only poetry site I visit anymore. I do log on several times a day.

It's where I can relax, share creativity and read exceptional work from others. But one other reason is the effort Lori keeps making in encouraging the members and mods to keep MM's Golden aura alive.

Your interaction is what gives MM its soul. I used to be a member in another site, sadly enough it became a ghost town mainly because its creator faded away from the scene. So keep up the good work Lori.

There's nothing I do not like.

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.

I personally love our mods. The members are awesome to interact with and well I have my own cyber family here. :)

I find no difficulty navigating.

At the moment, nothing comes to mind, but if I do I'll share my thoughts at a future date.

No, I haven't.

Not really.

Oh yes... definitely.

Yes ...it does.

Yes... if a discussion blooms because of a poem's crit or topic then I think it should be moved to the discussion forums as long as it is done with respect to others thoughts and beliefs.

15. Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)?

Not at the moment.

Dani

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 21 05, 20:48
Post #30

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks 2BC, Diana, Daniel and Daniah for your responses!

I've created a graphical index today for the forum board. It contains the six categories and an additional 5 'Most Popular' forum URL's. I've just finished it and added a note to the top of our forum board on all 14 skins.

What do you think?

~Cleo ???

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post May 22 05, 02:15
Post #31

Erm ... Lori (or anyone with computer savy), I'm not quite awake this morning ... please (she whispers) could we have a link (hangs head, blushing).

Fran  Speechless.gif  turtle.gif

Guest_Nina_*
post May 22 05, 02:21
Post #32

Hi Fran

There is a link at the top of the page, underneath control panel, new posts, latest posts buttons.

Wizard.gif

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post May 22 05, 02:49
Post #33

Ooops blush21.gif blush21.gif blush21.gif blush21.gif blush21.gif blush21.gif

(Thanks! )

Cybele
post May 22 05, 03:29
Post #34

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Good morning Everyone,

Having read through all the questionnaires, the question of 'clannishness' jumps out at me.

I think the answer to this is just a matter of TIME.

I, for one (and I suspect most people) tend to post first thing in the morning while we are fresh.

Bearing in mind that we, in Britain are a quarter of the way into the day before our American friends stir in the morning, we are going to receive replies from Britain first. By the time America comes online there might be quite a few replies already posted in our threads by others here who happen to be awake!

I can see that if say Lori, were to come on line at 9am American time the thread may already have received 7 or 8 replies and responses, which would indeed make it seem very 'clannish'.

The only answer I can see is for us to stagger the times of our postings throughout the day, or post in the evening! The staggering would  have to apply to all members of MM for this to make a difference.

The idea of a 'clan' is misconceived, since those so accused are the first to reply to  nearly every post!

Having read through this, I realise that I reply to posts, almost invariably by saying 'Good Morning!'

I hope this will be of some help. Speaking for myself, I wish only to read good poetry and prose, and interact with all my friends here on MM. We are very lucky to have such a site, so well managed by Lori and Peter. It would be such a shame if it became as bland and uninteresting as most other poetry sites on the net.

We have members who really care about helping and advising and I am always grateful for the crits I received from others. Sometimes they come up with points that make my work shine much brighter than my first efforts and find little errors that I have completely overlooked. Sometimes I prefer my original thoughts, but no matter what, I am always pleased to receive the feedback. I feel I have grown as a poet since joining MM in a way a could never have achieved without you all, and for this I thank you. I value all my friendships here and want to keep them.

I am sure we can resolve all those little niggles if we try.

Oh yes Lori, just one other thing. I find all the forum names VERY confusing, and have to keep thinking hard about where I have seen a posting I want to visit again. Could we perhaps, have some simpler titles? I realise your theme is Egyptology, but it's all Greek to me. LOL.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post May 22 05, 10:01
Post #35

Hi Lori

As Grace has mentioned, a number of people have commented about the problem of some tiles already having lots of posts before they get there and it is too much to go through.  

One way to get round this is not to read the posts.  Just read the poem itself and crit straight away, pointing out that you are critting but haven't read any of the other crits.  I know James (Jox) often does this and I have done it when I came back from holiday, reading through comments after I had posted.  It can be quite helpful to receive a fresh crit like this, not influenced by anyone else's comments.

When I first joined MM, I couldn't work out what the Wizard Awards were awarded for, unlike all the other award and as some others have mentioned I am not sure that I see its merit as I have not yet fathomed why some poems should prove more popular than others.

As to forum, I am ok with the poetry and prose forums but I still have problems with finding things in the other forums and have only just discovered where the pandora challenges get moved to.

I echo what Grace says about the crits. This site is warm friendly and caring and the best crit site I have been on and this is a reflection of the wonderful way that Lori and Peter manage the board.

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post May 22 05, 10:18
Post #36

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thank you both Grace and Nina! angel.gif angel.gif

Yes - I also try NOT to read the other crits  when I enter a new tile so as not to be waylaid or guided to a another interpretation. Once I've posted my reply, then I'll go and read the other ones if time permits.

Yes - I will most likely do a POLL or something re: Wizard Awards - perhaps they will no longer be based on post interaction - only when the member titles change (as noted in the Laureate's Legion) forum?

I would re-define the number of awards though so they are not as high if this is a change all want...

GroupHug.gif
~Cleo :)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post May 22 05, 14:27
Post #37

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Grace, hi Lori, hi everyone !!  sun.gif   cheer.gif

Been too busy to participate much lately, my loss !! But i do put my thinking-cap on now & then, tho' the question is, when & how to express one's ideas...  :)

I too feel uncomfortable about the "clannishness" or "clubbyness" issue, it's difficult ground to tread without being misunderstood. As far as I'm concerned, Grace, it has nothing to do with the very welcome, thorough, educational & helpful crits. Even humourous, they fix one's day !! The sooner they come in, the better !! If the Brits get there first, that's fine with me, I'm learning all the time, living as I do in a Spanish speaking country. Thank you, ALL OF YOU WHO SPEAK ENGLISH, IN WHATEVER PART OF THE WORLD !!   :pharoah2  cloud9.gif

Personally, I feel "left out" or different, when ideas are expressed on various topics that are usually related to a poem, in one way or another. I like debates related to the poems, be they philosophical, political, social, or whatever. But fairly often I decide to "shut up" because I realise I'm definitely in a minority, probably because the world itself looks rather different from my place in the, er... cosmos...  grinning.gif

To give the most recent example, only because it's fresh in my mind, I finally had time to sit down and do Flash Session I, meaning to post it later, as Fran encouragingly suggested. But my "flash" effort turned out decidedly strange and, to me, out of place as compared to the rest. And this was due to some banter that went on (never mind what!!) that made me feel uncomfortable with my contribution, so I didn't post it.

I think I may have a problem with "fitting in", precisely because I live in a country that is sociologically distinct from the anglosaxon way of life, and a lot of my country's ideas, religion, politics, standards of living, fashions, you name it, are entirely opposite.

Anyway, it sounds like "my" problem, because I just tell myself to shut up when I see that my ideas are not shared by others.

I'll finish off by saying that I once felt like crying, when I read the commentaries about Princess Diana in some forum or other !! In my country, nearly everybody thinks she was the best value in the entire Royal Family, followed by Fergie !! This may sound daft to all of you, but that's the way it seems from abroad.
We had a great laugh, on the other hand, at the extraordinary hats worn at Charles' & Camilla's wedding....  :p  Shock  Speechless.gif , and frankly, are not interested in the R.F. anymore, except perhaps in the future of those two unfortunate boys, William & Harry, God bless them !

Well, I've written the above and gone off-topic purposely, because I don't think the timing of the crits has anything to do with the problem exposed. As far as I'm concerned, it's a sociological/cultural  barrier (metaphorically speaking, if you prefer...).

And it's still a basic fact that a small percentage of members participate, especially when voting. An award hardly seems worthy of mention (or wearing), when the author gets 3 votes instead of 2, as is often the case, and that out of a total of about 10 votes.

Hugs to all, I haven't written the above with the intention of starting a debate on C&C !! If anybody wants to, we can go to the discussions forum, right?
Sylvia  wave.gif dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post May 22 05, 14:54
Post #38

Dear Sylvia,

"I think I may have a problem with "fitting in", precisely because I live in a country that is sociologically distinct from the anglosaxon way of life, and a lot of my country's ideas, religion, politics, standards of living, fashions, you name it, are entirely opposite. "

Well, I feel exactly the opposite - you give us a dimension that we would otherwise entirely lack, and your poems about the people and customs of your country add immesurably to my experience of MM.

Now for an interesting viewpoint : as a professional outsider anywhere I am, I feel at home everywhere ! Any reason you could not do the same ? I see it as just a point of view !

Love
Alan

Guest_Nina_*
post May 22 05, 15:34
Post #39

Hi Sylvia

To give the most recent example, only because it's fresh in my mind, I finally had time to sit down and do Flash Session I, meaning to post it later, as Fran encouragingly suggested. But my "flash" effort turned out decidedly strange and, to me, out of place as compared to the rest. And this was due to some banter that went on (never mind what!! that made me feel uncomfortable with my contribution, so I didn't post it.
I am sad that you felt you couldn't post your contribution because of some banter that went on, obviously we need to be more sensitive in what we say.  Your discomfort is  MM's loss.  If at anytime you feel more comfortable about posting it, please, please do.

You bring a fresh viewpoint to MM and allow us a glimpse at life in your country that we'd never have any knowledge about without your poetry.  Part of the richness of MM is that people on here are from all over the world, different cultures, different religions and we learn a lot from this.

Anyway, it sounds like "my" problem, because I just tell myself to shut up when I see that my ideas are not shared by others Please don't shut up just because your ideas may not be shared by others.  They are just as valid and I hope that different ideas can be debated intelligently.

I shall pass on a debate about C & C thanks

Hugs

Nina

Psyche
post May 22 05, 15:53
Post #40

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Alan !  :sun:

Well, amusingly enough, I think your answer confirms my theory.

YOU, Alan, feel perfectly at home, whether an outsider or not, anywhere !!
Which is just about the opposite of what I feel, and already said before. I guess not feeling an outsider anywhere is a great thing. It's about feeling self-confident, I suppose, about one's views on the world or even minor issues.
I have no claim to that, unfortunately my views change a great deal as history unfolds itself before my eyes....  :(    

But I can't be the judge of what you feel !!

Thanks, Alan, all the same, for your remarks,
hugs,
Sylvia dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 13:07

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: