Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EMPRESS, English Cameo Revision ~ Thanks Lori & Judi!
Lady Poet
post Oct 4 07, 19:01
Post #1

Assyrian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 468
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:self

***********Removed by author***********

·······IPB·······

A relaxed attitude, and a heart of gratitude, increases life whilst joy doth exude! <:))))><

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
4rum
post Oct 5 07, 06:22
Post #2

Assyrian

Member No.: 456
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:N/A

Morning Pami;

Bold statement. I think I might have used unequivocally, but that may not be what you are going for. Very good closure. I like that it portrays you as unpretentious.

I'll have to look up the form ... English Cameo? I'm not familiar with it.

Sam

·······IPB·······

Values are to integrity as spirit to spirituality ... the one is needed that the other is sustained ~ Sam

MM Award Winner

Lady Poet
post Oct 5 07, 08:18
Post #3

Assyrian

Hey Sam!

Thanks for catching my boo boo, you're the first!

I learned this form in an English poetry class on another site. Then we workshopped what we learned. I received high accolades for this, which was a wonderful feeling. Funny thing. I can't find any references on it on the web so far. The lady I learned it from is away sick, but I'll get the info for you (and me) soon.

Have a great weekend!

Pami surfing.gif

·······IPB·······

A relaxed attitude, and a heart of gratitude, increases life whilst joy doth exude! <:))))><

4rum
post Oct 5 07, 10:13
Post #4

Assyrian

Hi Pami;

To me, now, it is just a very well written poem. I'm sure that once I find the form that I will have a MUCH greater appreciation for your discipline in writing to it. I will have to try to write a poem using that form. I don't ever grasp the full impact of honoring a form until I try it.

Anyway... loved it and certainly understand why it was recieved so well.

sam

I'm back WOO-HOO... found this much: ENGLISH CONVENTIONAL CAMEOS ARE WRITTEN IN 2/5/8/3/7/2 SYLLABLES.

Going to look for more...................

·······IPB·······

Values are to integrity as spirit to spirituality ... the one is needed that the other is sustained ~ Sam

MM Award Winner

Lady Poet
post Oct 6 07, 04:42
Post #5

Assyrian

Hi Sam

Hmm. Interesting. That would make mine a failure in that my syllabic count does not quite match. I sent an inquiry to my teacher and I'm sure I'll hear something soon. I will keep you
posted, perhaps there are too syles?

How did you find this one. I would love to browse if it's on the web...

Have you found more yet....? claps.gif

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 6 07, 07:30
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Pami, wave.gif

The PP (punctuation police) are thinking, uh-oh, mind the commas, caps and endstops. Jester.gif

I’ve never heard of or seen this form before, do you mind if I post this in Karnak with your poem as the example once I understand all the parameters of it? Does it only contain a syllable count of 2/5/8/3/7/2 (6 lines total) and no rhyme scheme requirements? Can the 1st & last line be the same word? Can you please post here what those params are as I cannot find anything on this form through my searching?

If Sam’s params are correct, then you have one extra beat and one extra line here as your poem is: 2/5/8/3/8/5/2, so it appears that you wander off form in L5 with an extra beat and then L6 is not part of form’s params?

I need to understand the params before I can offer you a thorough critique, but I will say that the comma in L1 should go and you should cap L3 and uncap L5. Looking forward to your return!

~Cleo detective.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Judi
post Oct 6 07, 09:47
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Group: Bronze Member
Member No.: 427

Here is something I googled about CAMEOS (they DO exist!!!!!)

The poetry CAMEO (pronounced cam-ee-oh) is a seven line fixed form
of varying syllabic length

Stanzas: 1
Stanza type: Septet
Lines: 7
Accents: Varies
Syllables: Alternates between 2,3,5, 7 and 8 per line
Rhyme: None
Pattern:
XX
XXXXX
XXXXXXXX
XXX
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XX

EXAMPLE OF A CAMEO
Garbage
Rank and odorous
Seeping foul liquids through its bag
Disgusting
Infested with bacteria
I think I'll empty the can
today.

I hope this helps so others can also join Pami in this great form...Judi

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 6 07, 10:38
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Excellent - I googled too, Judi, but didn't have much luck - I tried : English Cameo poetic form ? Glad you found it - thanks! cheer.gif

So it has no rhyme scheme and goes by syllables: 2/5/8/3/8/7/2

I'll be back once Pami sees your reply.
Cheers
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 6 07, 10:49
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

OK, I'm back Pami with Judi's params for you. I like this poem as it demonstrates a confidence of being you and an acceptance of who you are.

I have a few suggestions below for you to ponder as you wish.

Ehjoyed!
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

2/5/8/3/8/7/2

I am, (no comma needed)
Empress of my world.
unequivocally, I am (change to Capital U)
~supremely~ (delete the tildas and add a comma)
In all the universes known, (change to lowercase I, add comma after known)
~just me all in all~ (delete the tildas and add two syls: suggestion:
just for being me; as is… )
I am.

If you were to adopt the suggestions, it would look like this:
2/5/8/3/8/7/2

I am
Empress of my world.
Unequivocally, I am
supremely,
in all the universes known,
just for being me; as is…
I am.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Judi
post Oct 6 07, 11:02
Post #10

Creative Chieftain

Group: Bronze Member
Member No.: 427

Here is the web address where I got my info. They also have definitions for many other types of poetry that could be investigated.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CrmQIYjzs...p;cd=1#PPA48,M1

·······IPB·······

4rum
post Oct 6 07, 19:53
Post #11

Assyrian

QUOTE (Judi @ Oct 6 07, 12:02 ) *
Here is the web address where I got my info. They also have definitions for many other types of poetry that could be investigated.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CrmQIYjzs...p;cd=1#PPA48,M1

Thanks for that link... the reference I had found was very sparse and not too reliable. I think you've found a good source with which to research this form. I had not seen it before either.

blessings
sam

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Lady Poet
post Oct 6 07, 20:48
Post #12

Assyrian

SUPER Lori! hersheyskiss.gif

You found the right formula! So I was taught the right form. Thank YOU!!! I was worried for a minute. LOL. Where did you find it? I googled and key worded for 30 minutes and could never find anything other than cameo glass. I will make the changes for sure...originally I had it that way, but then I got "artsy" glitter.gif but since everyone just looooooves their punks here I'll replace them. shocked.gif LOL.

Judi dear,

Thanks for all your help I'm snagging that link and adding it to my resources! Now we're cooking! hsdance.gif

Hugs! Pami cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:56

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: