Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Revision 3 28/05/07

stolen kisses --
under pink blossoms
limbs entwine

I've decided to go with this for a revision -- but not sure all the same!

kisses --
limbs unfold as
white blossoms

Here's an oldie from Herme's

kisses stolen
under cherry tree –
love blossoms

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
laryalee
post May 26 07, 22:51
Post #2

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 421
Referred By:Kathy Earsman

Hi Snow,
what a lovely moment!
Such a pretty image, and a delightful play
on "blossoms" as verb/noun.

The only thing I'd suggest is an article
for line 2...to follow our natural way of speaking.
Now, whether it's "under a cherry tree" or
"under the cherry tree" makes a slight difference,
and that's what you would need to decide....
Was this a specific cherry tree, or just one
among many?

You might like to try "stolen kisses" in line 1...
it changes the impact a little and removes a verb --
not necessarily better, but just to play with...

stolen kisses
under the cherry tree --
love blossoms

Some poets like using verbs, and others enjoy
verbless haiku. Here's an article by Ferris Gilli:

http://www.worldhaikureview.org/1-3/whcsch...lesshaiku.shtml

smile.gif
Lary

Cleo_Serapis
post May 27 07, 07:07
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi SNow.

I also think that switching the words around in L1 to 'stolen kisses' might give more options for L2. I am thinking of something that Lary mentioned in my thread - try not to 'tell' too much to let the reader's mind wander a bit. Keepign that in mind, I'm thinking 'under the cherry tree' could be left open a bit more if you described it without saying what it is. Cherry blossoms - are they pink or white? Maybe you could infuse color here to describe the tree and pink as a 'blush' reaction'?

Something like:

stolen kisses
illuminate (enliven, imbue, fresco) pink --
love blossoms

Am I way off?

Enjoyed!
~Cleo butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 27 07, 18:00
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (laryalee @ May 27 07, 04:51 ) *
Hi Snow,
what a lovely moment!
Such a pretty image, and a delightful play
on "blossoms" as verb/noun.

The only thing I'd suggest is an article
for line 2...to follow our natural way of speaking.
Now, whether it's "under a cherry tree" or
"under the cherry tree" makes a slight difference,
and that's what you would need to decide....
Was this a specific cherry tree, or just one
among many?

You might like to try "stolen kisses" in line 1...
it changes the impact a little and removes a verb --
not necessarily better, but just to play with...

stolen kisses
under the cherry tree --
love blossoms

Some poets like using verbs, and others enjoy
verbless haiku. Here's an article by Ferris Gilli:

http://www.worldhaikureview.org/1-3/whcsch...lesshaiku.shtml

smile.gif
Lary

Thank you so much Lary. I had to smile when I read your comment about changing 'kisses stolen' to 'stolen kisses' as that's what I had originaly -- really don't know why I changed it!

Thanks also for the link to article by Ferris Gilli which was very interesting. I can see I have a lot to learn. Writing 3 short lines needs a lot of knowledge -- more than a longer poem as I suppose you're getting down to the bones and must decide on what's important.

I think I'll enjoy this forum very much.!

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 27 07, 18:04
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ May 27 07, 13:07 ) *
Hi SNow.

I also think that switching the words around in L1 to 'stolen kisses' might give more options for L2. I am thinking of something that Lary mentioned in my thread - try not to 'tell' too much to let the reader's mind wander a bit. Keepign that in mind, I'm thinking 'under the cherry tree' could be left open a bit more if you described it without saying what it is. Cherry blossoms - are they pink or white? Maybe you could infuse color here to describe the tree and pink as a 'blush' reaction'?

Something like:

stolen kisses
illuminate (enliven, imbue, fresco) pink --
love blossoms

Am I way off?

Enjoyed!
~Cleo butterfly.gif

No, I don't think you are way off there Lori. In any poetry, hinting at something is sometimes more intersting than being direct. How about ~

stolen kisses
intensifying pink --
love blossoms

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 27 07, 18:56
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

That's very pretty too Snow! lovie.gif

Glad you liked where I was going with me old noggin.....
of course another option is not to use 'pink' too - and use 'blush' instead for multi-meaning of the color and the emotion?

kiss.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 27 07, 19:08
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ May 28 07, 00:56 ) *
That's very pretty too Snow! lovie.gif

Glad you liked where I was going with me old noggin.....
of course another option is not to use 'pink' too - and use 'blush' instead for multi-meaning of the color and the emotion?

kiss.gif

Just pressed somthing and deleted my reply -- shows it's my bedtime (past 1am here)

I have been giving this some more thought and had been wondering if I could bring 'flush' into L2, which is near to 'blush'. We must be on the same wave lenghth. LOL! I think I'd better leave this until tomorrow as my mind is seizing up. I'm tired!

Good night Lori

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

laryalee
post May 27 07, 21:54
Post #8

Babylonian

I'll just toss one more thought in...
for me, the cherry tree shows, without
telling ...the blush of love, the white of innocence...
they're pink or white, so either would work.

And since cherry blossoms are a well-known
Japanese kigo, this haiku has everything!
(Kigo is another topic, lol!)

smile.gif
Lary

Guest_Kathy_*
post May 28 07, 00:22
Post #9

kisses stolen
under the cherry tree
love blossoms

Nice, Snow. :) (I added 'the' as suggested above.)

Adding a colour sounds like a good idea, but it might crowd it a bit. Unless you want to take 'love' out and put the shade of your choice in. That would imply the associated quality, ie love or innocence.

'stolen' may not be necessary. ??

K

Eisa
post May 28 07, 04:47
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (laryalee @ May 28 07, 03:54 ) *
I'll just toss one more thought in...
for me, the cherry tree shows, without
telling ...the blush of love, the white of innocence...
they're pink or white, so either would work.

And since cherry blossoms are a well-known
Japanese kigo, this haiku has everything!
(Kigo is another topic, lol!)

smile.gif
Lary

I was thinking of pink blossom to show their blushing -- but white for innocence is another angle I'd not thought of -- I like that one!.

Kigo -- I have such a lot to learn. LOL!

Thanks Lary, you've given me something else to think on.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 28 07, 04:52
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kathy @ May 28 07, 06:22 ) *
kisses stolen
under the cherry tree
love blossoms

Nice, Snow. :) (I added 'the' as suggested above.)

Adding a colour sounds like a good idea, but it might crowd it a bit. Unless you want to take 'love' out and put the shade of your choice in. That would imply the associated quality, ie love or innocence.

'stolen' may not be necessary. ??

K

Good ideas Kathy!

Taking this to the bones -- stolen is probably unnecessary. Good thinking!

Mmmm.... that is a thought, changing love to a colour -- got me thinking!

Thanks Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 28 07, 04:55
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

How about a change ~

kisses –
limbs unfold as
white blossoms

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 28 07, 10:10
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Tee hee Snow.

My mind is in the gutter with 'limbs unfold'. upside.gif

I would imagine 'blushing' as pink more than white, but then again, white is 'innocence' in my mind.

Instead of stolen kisses, is there another image you can portray about the 'kisses'?

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Kathy_*
post May 28 07, 17:28
Post #14

kisses
limbs unfold as
white blossoms

Hahahahahaha!! You are having fun! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Fun always leads to creativity, for me.

Now, the idea is great. But. (Here's the but) No not that butt!
'unfold' gets in the way for me. I see arms and legs unfold like folded paper, and the tree limbs zoing out like a telescope. But that could be 'just me.'

kisses
limbs unfold as
white blossoms

What about 'entwine' instead of 'unfold.' Both lovers and branches can do that. But not as blossoms. You'll have to rewrite it, and will need to be careful to make a fragment and a phrase, instead of a 'shopping list' of unconnected images. Like this:

kisses
limbs entwine
white blossoms

So, let's see if I can do anything with it, and then let you try. We have to make a phrase that runs over two lines, juxtaposed with a fragment. Just adding 'with' will give a fragment/phrase:

kisses
limbs entwine with
white blossoms

Or

kisses
limbs entwine beneath
white blossoms

or

kisses
beneath white blossoms
limbs entwine

Your turn. smile.gif

Guest_Cathy_*
post May 28 07, 17:37
Post #15

Hi Snow,

I'm not good at Haiku's at all but I'm jumping in with both feet! LOL If it should be more descriptive than telling what about...

a taste of kisses
'neath blushing maraschinos...
love blossoms

Here you would have the blush from the pink blossoms and the blush from the kiss and yet no direct mention of a tree. 'Twould give the reader something to think on.

OR

a hint of kiss
under shades of blushing bings...
love blossoms

And here you would still have the blush of pink blossoms and the blush from a kiss and 'shades' could be just a hint of the tree... 'bings' hinting at cherries of course. Like I said I'm no good with Haiku but I thought I'd take a chance! LOL

Lovely thought BTW~

Cathy

Eisa
post May 28 07, 19:01
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ May 28 07, 16:10 ) *
Tee hee Snow.

My mind is in the gutter with 'limbs unfold'. upside.gif

ROFL!! Oh Lori! LOL.gif I see what you mean!

I would imagine 'blushing' as pink more than white, but then again, white is 'innocence' in my mind.

I was trying a different angle ... Lary said white blossoms could portray innocence, and I thought I'd go with that this time round.

Instead of stolen kisses, is there another image you can portray about the 'kisses'?

Well Kathy asked if stolen was necessary -- and on thinking it over 'kisses' on it's own shows everything needed (I think)

~Cleo

I think I shall have to get rid of those unfurling limbs LOL!

Snow cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 28 07, 19:15
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kathy @ May 28 07, 23:28 ) *
kisses
limbs unfold as
white blossoms

Hahahahahaha!! You are having fun! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Fun always leads to creativity, for me.

I am having fun -- and I've already sent Lori hurtling into the gutter! LOL!!

Now, the idea is great. But. (Here's the but) No not that butt!
'unfold' gets in the way for me. I see arms and legs unfold like folded paper, and the tree limbs zoing out like a telescope. But that could be 'just me.'

kisses
limbs unfold as
white blossoms

What about 'entwine' instead of 'unfold.' Both lovers and branches can do that. But not as blossoms. You'll have to rewrite it, and will need to be careful to make a fragment and a phrase, instead of a 'shopping list' of unconnected images. Like this:

I must say 'unfold' was not the word I was looking for -- just near. 'Entwine' is just right! I kept thinking 'embrace' and just couldn't get my mind around it. Yes, entwine is perfect for my intent.

kisses
limbs entwine
white blossoms

So, let's see if I can do anything with it, and then let you try. We have to make a phrase that runs over two lines, juxtaposed with a fragment. Just adding 'with' will give a fragment/phrase:

kisses
limbs entwine with
white blossoms

Or

kisses
limbs entwine beneath
white blossoms

Mmmm.... I think BENEATH white blossoms fits my original thoughts of being under the cherry tree.

or

kisses
beneath white blossoms
limbs entwine

Your turn. smile.gif

Thanks Kathy

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 28 07, 19:25
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cathy @ May 28 07, 23:37 ) *
Hi Snow,

Hi Cathy -- it's good to see you here

I'm not good at Haiku's at all but I'm jumping in with both feet! LOL If it should be more descriptive than telling what about...

I think jumping in with both feet is the only way to learn. i wrote a few last year, but my mind's seized up since then. LOL!

I think although you should show rather than tell -- it should still be concise.

a taste of kisses
'neath blushing maraschinos...
love blossoms

Lovely thought -- I think to keep concise though,'kisses' might be enough.

Here you would have the blush from the pink blossoms and the blush from the kiss and yet no direct mention of a tree. 'Twould give the reader something to think on.

OR

a hint of kiss
under shades of blushing bings...
love blossoms

And here you would still have the blush of pink blossoms and the blush from a kiss and 'shades' could be just a hint of the tree... 'bings' hinting at cherries of course. Like I said I'm no good with Haiku but I thought I'd take a chance! LOL

You are giving me lots to think about here Cathy. i think I'll still need to do more revisions until I get it right.

Lovely thought BTW~

Cathy

Thanks Cathy

Snow
Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

laryalee
post May 28 07, 23:30
Post #19

Babylonian

kisses --
under pink blossoms
limbs entwine

Snow, I really like this version...
the limbs can belong either to people
or to the tree itself...this double meaning
is appreciated in haiku!

smile.gif
Lary

P.S. I forgot, I was going to give you a link
to cherry blossom haiku...an annual festival in my
province of British Columbia!

http://www.vancouvercherryblossomfestival.com/vcbf/haiku2007

I think this is a neat way to see how different poets
write about one topic. And I had forgotten that someone
wrote about a "stolen kiss"...this should prove to you that
your haiku thoughts are good ones!
wink.gif

Eisa
post May 29 07, 04:39
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (laryalee @ May 29 07, 05:30 ) *
kisses --
under pink blossoms
limbs entwine

Snow, I really like this version...
the limbs can belong either to people
or to the tree itself...this double meaning
is appreciated in haiku!

smile.gif
Lary

P.S. I forgot, I was going to give you a link
to cherry blossom haiku...an annual festival in my
province of British Columbia!

http://www.vancouvercherryblossomfestival.com/vcbf/haiku2007

I think this is a neat way to see how different poets
write about one topic. And I had forgotten that someone
wrote about a "stolen kiss"...this should prove to you that
your haiku thoughts are good ones!
wink.gif

Thanks Lary -- I feel I've made progress (with a lot of help from my friends)

What a wonderful link -- I've had a quick look but will come back again later. Amazing thoughts on one topic -- and I love the 'stolen kiss' one.

Talking of 'stolen kiss' -- I missed out stolen in revision. I'm not sure whether I should have left it in ????

I really am enjoying this forum very much!

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:09

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: