Post #41

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Kathy.

I think I'm going to start a refernce library on my desktop pc to start collecting all these wonderful links you and Lary are providing to help us with understanding haiku. This is great information! cheer.gif hersheyskiss.gif mm.gif mm.gif

Ok - so if one were to reflect on something in the past and jot down some words/fragments, then we should title them, 'desk ku' ?

OK, so be 'in the moment' when musing these? Tee hee, I never knew too much about, so it'll be easy to forget! LOL.gif

Thanks for your kind words!
~Cleo butterfly1.gif

QUOTE (Kathy @ May 30 07, 06:51 ) *
Cleo, a famous haijin (one of Old Masters) said something like " If you want to write about willows, go to the willow." Lary will probably remember the exact person and quote.

So the idea is to record haiku on location. 'Desk haiku' are those written at a desk, ie NOT on location.

Try to forget everything you thought you knew about haiku. The stuff that's passed as haiku these days, ie the popular versions of haiku are actually very insulting to an ancient tradition of poetry. We Westerners really screwed it up.

Your haiku turned out really well! I am proud of you.

QUOTE (Kathy @ May 30 07, 07:01 ) *
Here ya are:

Matsuo Bashō the grand master of this form, emphasized that the poet should write directly from experience and strive to perceive the inner life of the subject or moment.

"Learn of the pine from the pine;
learn of the bamboo from the bamboo."

Because haiku often are written fresh from experience -- or soon thereafter -- and jotted down on the odd piece of paper or, better yet, in a pocket notebook kept on hand just for this purpose, they are easy to get into the habit of writing.

As a result of writing haiku, you will:

~be more alive to the present moment

~recapture the freshness and vividness of perceptions you had as a youth,

~deepen your appreciation of nature and your place within it, and

~realize the potential of each moment for profound realization.

Taken from here:

http://www.haikuhabit.com/haiku_habit%20tutorial.htm

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 1 07, 04:57
Post #42

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Liz. eowyn.gif

Thank you very much! YES, the workshopping has been absolutely wonderful! Not only am I gaining a better appreciation for this form, I'm learning so many things to use for the next one(s). This is the whole intent of workshopping our poetry. Let's dance! MusicBand.gif dance.gif

For me the hard part is knowing where to put that fragment and remind myself that 'articles' should be used along with more 'everyday words'. I also try not to use too much alliteration with these for fear they'll sound line tongue twisters.

Looking forward to the exercise thread Lary will be posting! writersblock.gif

Cheers
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

QUOTE (AMETHYST @ May 31 07, 02:42 ) *
First, Lori - I wanted to say how amazing this thread has been. The present revision of this Haiku really gave me the "experience' as Lary describes, before I read her reply. I began reading and the whisper offered me the dual meaning...I felt the pause come L2, it comes natural and then when I got to the 3rd line, I smiled, as the it all unfolded like a memory for me; sort of became a memory to me through the imagery. I could see myself sitting outside on a Spring day, the soft breeze caressing my skin, the scents of magnolia blooms on the wings of the winds and a distant tinkling of wind chimes to soulfully lull my woes away. It actually creates a mindset, like meditation in some way.

Secondly, after reading the poem, I read through the thread, including many of the links and I think I am getting a better understanding of Haiku. However, I am still not confident with my own attempts. I think because, like Kathy mentions desku, that is what I could offer as I don't have many experiences that are built on such loveliness... So I would have to fake one: LOL ...

I wanted to say this is amazing, how the process works, and how it went from being a very beautiful picture to becoming an actual experience to read. I now see the difference. Truely unique to see it happen right infront of my eyes...

Hugs, Liz ...

THUMBS UP ON THIS ONE!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Kathy_*
post Jun 1 07, 05:49
Post #43

Ha ha, Lori. No, you don't label them 'desk ku!' Duffer! That's your secret. smile.gif

So. You have scratched the surface. I'm delighted that you've enjoyed it so far. Yes, I'm looking forward to Lary's exercise thread. (UP two three DOWN two three PULL two three...)

Lori, the fragment can go wherever you want to put it, you know. But yes, a bit o thought is needed to decide, sometimes, and friends are handy, if they can give feedback.

At least you have learned a little about how to read haiku. Yep, you-all did well.

laryalee
post Jun 1 07, 20:22
Post #44

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 421
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Kathy Earsman

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Jun 1 07, 02:51 ) *
Ok - so if one were to reflect on something in the past and jot down some words/fragments, then we should title them, 'desk ku' ?

Hi Lori, just one note to add...memories are real...and are an accepted
part of your own experience.
To me, "desk ku" is when one writes from an imagined experience.
I Googled it, but didn't find much...I did find this Sea Shell game,
which is a great way to see how an established and talented poet
like Jane Reichhold judges haiku:

http://www.ahapoetry.com/Ssgam33.htm

Re poem #6, she mentions desk ku.

smile.gif
Lary

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 4 07, 10:40
Post #45

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Congrats Lori on your wizard award winning tile! claps.gif

Well done! margarita.gif Balloons.gif

~Cleo magicwink1.png

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:33

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: