Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
> The US Federal Government's Lack of Action, New Orleans & The South USA
Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 2 05, 21:33
Post #1

Lori suggested porting this here - so I have done so...

What I don't understand from this side of the Pond is the US Federal Government's (lack of) reaction. I saw GW Bush on tv asking people to give donations to Sally Army and Red Cross. Why? Shouldn't the Government get on and rescue people. I'm completely bewildered that the richest nation on Earth should just abandon people for four or five days whilst society breaks down. Of course, going in is not easy but no attempts at much were made for so long. Many people are saying that the rich powerful men in Washington (at best) don't have a clue about the urban poor of the south - let along the racial issue which is being discussed by the hour on tv over here.

However, that was me being gentle over in that tile. Here I would like to know why the US Government should not be charged with negligent homicide and crimes against humanity. It has presided over many deaths which were preventable. Most people are poor and many black. How much does that tell us about the powerful white Republican establishment in DC?

If the people in this disaster had been New England white liberals, would help have come quicker? There is much discussion on UK tv that this represents a major racial schist in the USA and that the black poor don’t matter to the white republicans. I’m not actually sure I agree with that - as far as I can see this simply looks like massive incompetence. I marvel at the fact that Clinton was impeached for having an affair with his associate simply to attack his liberal regime - using Star as the battering ram - but GWB will probably serve-out his time in office after precising over what seems tantamount to mass murder.

The weather situation was known. But why were the urban poor (mainly black) populations not evacuated? Because they couldn’t afford it? Because they had no cars? Because no one cared?

OK to be logical for a moment we have split responsibilities here. It is hard for a Brit to appreciate that States and local governments do not appreciate having their jurisdictions infringed by the US Federal Government. The US is a federation: to a large degree individual states are politically independent. So the initial failure may be fairly charged at the New Orleans and Louisiana authorities; they must have cases to answer. Of course, they may have asked for Federal assistance then - I don’t know yet.

But from the moment the weather system hit the US State had a responsibility. Instead it has allowed people to thirst to death, to die from lack of medical care, from violence in a society which has partially dived into anarchy. TV showed the New Orleans Police giving up I believe. One can’t blame them - the disaster was overwhelming.

Overwhelming is that a defence? Nope. Because the US could deploy people far faster; break-out reserves of water, food, medicine far faster. The European Union (including the UK) have asked the US if they would like humanitarian assistance. None (to my knowledge) has been taken up. Why? Because the US can cope? Well it should be able to and may be it can but it has not hitherto. Is there a political fear that such aid would be politically damaging to this dreadful President? Important to save the No1 skin, of course.

Troops had to be diverted from humanitarian relief to tackle looters, violent criminals, murderers. Why has that city broken down so quickly? Might existing poverty and deprivation have been factors? Hour upon hour here in the UK we’re seeing women plea that gangs are raping people, others hold babies aloft to the camera, pleading for their lives to be spared from disease and thirst. These are scenes fit for Dante’s Inferno, played out in the Southern swamplands of Louisiana.

Those of us who regard the US as one of our very top international friends are horrified at the state of affairs. Globally, everyone will be appalled at the humanitarian catastrophe that has suddenly happened. As a friend we should be ready to give any human assistance at all which is needed - and we are.  But we should also make sure the utter disgust and contempt, which we feel towards the appalling way in which this crisis has been allowed to fester, over the rotting corpses of New Orleans especially, is voiced. (There are many other places too but their situation - terrible as it is - is not quite as awful). The US Federal Government is only responsible to the US people - I do hope they let no one in the Administration off the hook. But, also, there is a wider responsibility in terms of human care - we are all concerned about that. So we can all, in our own ways, try to help hold the US Federal Government to account.,, if only to maintain pressure to help those that still desperately need it.
J.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Jox   The US Federal Government's Lack of Action   Sep 2 05, 21:33
- - Toumai   Hi, James My heart goes out to all those stranded...   Sep 3 05, 02:02
- - Jox   Thanks for commentating, Fran. Anyone else? J.   Sep 3 05, 02:40
- - Jox   TV this morning - now. The New Orleans Police Chi...   Sep 3 05, 03:10
- - Nina   Like Fran, my heart goes out to all those poor peo...   Sep 3 05, 03:52
- - Perrorist   I agree with all that's been said so far (I ki...   Sep 3 05, 04:55
- - Jox   Thanks Nina and Perry. Gosh, Perry, those links s...   Sep 3 05, 05:14
- - Perrorist   It's difficult to see how Bush or the Republic...   Sep 3 05, 05:26
- - Toumai   Hi Perry I've been following the WD debate, b...   Sep 3 05, 05:29
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi everyone. Let me start by saying this: I hope ...   Sep 3 05, 06:09
- - Cleo_Serapis   Interesting tidbit from commondreams.org has forme...   Sep 3 05, 06:27
- - Perrorist   Lori Just a few comments by way of correction, or...   Sep 3 05, 06:34
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Perry.  :wave: Excellent points! Thank y...   Sep 3 05, 06:38
- - Perrorist   QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Sep. 03 2005, 21:38)Hi ...   Sep 3 05, 06:46
- - Cleo_Serapis   I completely agree, Perry. I cannot even watch t...   Sep 3 05, 07:06
- - Toumai   We are used to seeing apocolyptic scenes in 'T...   Sep 3 05, 07:15
- - Jox   Hi Lori, et al, Gosh, ok I’ll do my best... >L>L...   Sep 3 05, 09:27
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi J. You are upset and appear to be bent on Bush...   Sep 3 05, 09:49
- - Nina   Hi James, Lori You  put forward a very convi...   Sep 3 05, 10:33
- - Jox   Hi Lori, Thanks for your reply. >L>You are upset...   Sep 3 05, 11:08
- - Jox   Hi Nina, Thanks for your comments too. You are r...   Sep 3 05, 11:13
- - Nina   Hi J, Lori At the end of the day no matter how mu...   Sep 3 05, 11:52
- - Blank_Canvas   Hey, sorry so long to find my way here. Didn't...   Sep 9 05, 12:34
- - Don   I defer to Cleo_Serapis's extensive reply to J...   Sep 22 05, 15:04
- - Cleo_Serapis   I hate to think or say this Don... but I think Ri...   Sep 22 05, 20:28
- - Don   Good morning Lori, I just updated Rita report. ...   Sep 23 05, 10:27
- - ohsteve   I know this reply is way out of date, three years ...   Sep 13 08, 17:01

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:18

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: