Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sonnets & Variations, That's a sonnet?
Merlin
post Sep 30 06, 17:47
Post #1

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 66
Writer of: Poetry

The following is an edited section out of my own volume being compiled, containing verse forms (still incomplete). This is my own wording, meaning the copyright is mine, and I grant the use to anyone for personal learning, not commercial gain. The collection comes from numerous sources, checked and crosschecked, and believed to be correct. It may well be that there is no one authority on matters, and certainly, names do overlap as I state below.
Since this is out of my volume, the reader has pages available to refer back to things like “heroic couplet”, should that meaning be unclear. Here, the reader is free to ask for clarification, or do a Google search for any unknowns.

Sonnet
“Little sound, little song” is what “sonnet” means in Italian. Sonnets are 14-line poems with a set rhyme scheme, Volta usually around L9, and iambic pentameter. Many variations exist, but the purist will adhere to the guidelines.
We break sonnets into 2 main categories, Italian and English. Italian sonnets are composed of an octet, followed by a sestet. English sonnets are mostly quatrains with a closing couplet.

Names, nomenclature, and branding are not always the same with different people. Robert Browning wrote, “Whom shall my soul believe?” in his Rabbi Ben Ezra, and that seems to be the case in sonnet styles also. What is a corona to one (7-sonnet series) is a crown to another (15-sonnet series), and vice-versa.
There seems to be no single set of title-ware, a fact that holds true to several of this section.

Sonnet (Other)
This is a sonnet as described above, but having different parameters. Many of these listed in this section will fit this category, and many are not 14-line sonnets.

Alternating Sonnet
This is a French form made up of alternating tercets and quatrains. Iambic Pentameter; Volta at L8, L11, or L12; rhyme scheme is
· abba – ccd – abba – ede, or
· ccd – abba – ede – abba, or
· similar rearrangement of other sonnet rhyme schemes.

Blank Sonnet
Standard sonnet characteristics, unrhymed. Blank verse is defined as unrhymed iambic pentameter.

Blues Sonnet
This American form is based on tercets. There are 4 Blues Stanzas and a Heroic Couplet, and the theme is most often a complaint.

Bowlesian Sonnet
Three quatrains and a heroic couplet, in English fashion but the rhyme pattern shifts to the Italian enveloped rhyme rather than English abab. The Volta comes somewhere between L9 and L13.
Rhyme: abba cddc effe gg

Caudate Sonnet
An Italian form; other names are Caudated or Tailed Sonnet. This is a Petrarchan sonnet with extras to make a total of 20 lines –
· Petrarchan sonnet abbaabba cdecde
· A 3-foot tail, rhyme is e
· A heroic couplet, rhyme is ff
· A 3-foot tail, rhyme is f
· Another heroic couplet, rhyme is gg.

Chained Sonnet
The chain links are – an end-word of a line becomes the next line’s opening word. This requires those end/starting words to be of multiple syllables, iambic in nature.

Corona – Sonnet of Sonnets, Crown, Garland, Redouble, Sonnet Sequence, & Cycle
These are multiple sonnets on a common theme, requiring a thread of their own. Here, especially, names overlap. (I’ve left the Redouble definition in.) Should anyone be interested, I have a garland (15 interlocked) and a corona (7 interlocked) available for discussion.

Couplet Sonnet
A sonnet made up of seven rhymed couplets in iambic pentameter. Rhyme is simply: aabbccddeeffgg

Curtal Sonnet
This is a sonnet that is not a sonnet. Gerard Manley Hopkins wrote in this form in 1877, creating an abbreviated sonnet in eleven lines of two stanzas.
Stanza 1 has rhyme scheme abcabc; then there is the Volta to Stanza 2, which rhymes either dbcdc or dcbdc. The final line is shorter and often indented. It is either a half-line or a single spondee, depending on the authority, and even Hopkins described it as the former, but usually executed it as the latter.
Rhyme: abcabc dbcdc, or abcabc dcbdc, Volta after L6.

Diaspora or Terza Rima Sonnet
See definition of Terza Rima and write 14 lines accordingly. It’s another Italian form, from the land of the Sonnet. Rhyme is aba bcb cdc ded ee, in iambic pentameter.

Dorn Sonnet
After Alfred Dorn, has two sestets and a couplet midstream. The rhyme scheme is abcabc dd aeaeae.

Double Sonnet
1. Simply put, two sonnets as a single poem.
2. Two sonnets together keeping the same rhyme scheme.
3. Two sonnets of a theme in any form, repeating rhyme pattern.

Envelope Sonnet
This is a Petrarchan version, but due to English rhyming words being sometimes sparse, the envelope rhyme is abbacddc efgefg or abbacddc efefef. The Volta should appear around L9, and meter is the usual iambic pentameter.

French Sonnet
Another Petrarchan variation, the French sonnet changes the sestet rhyme to ccdede or ccdccd or ccdeed while retaining the octet abbaabba. IP is standard and Volta comes between octet and sestet.

Heroic Sonnet
This is an 18-line sonnet (?) in iambic pentameter that tags a heroic couplet to make –
· two Sicilian octave stanzas, or
· four Sicilian quatrain stanzas
· and that heroic couplet.
Volta, one or more, may appear after one or both octaves, or anywhere following a quatrain. Rhyme scheme is mostly abababab cdcdcdcd ee or abab cdcd efef ghgh ii, but there is no restriction on Petrarchan or enveloped schemes.

Indefinable Sonnet
Certain sonnets are clearly sonnets – IP, 14-lines, volta, rhyme scheme, and all recognizable features. Ozymandias, by Shelley, is perhaps the best known sonnet that doesn’t fit into a specific niche. Its rhyme scheme is unique, (abab acdc ede fef) and the Volta begins at L9 where the present tense appears.

Others also have written in a style that doesn’t fit any category, yet are proper sonnets. American poet Frederick Goddard Tuckerman’s sonnets are among these; he does not hold to rigid rhyme scheme but has very recognizable sonnets.

Italian – Petrarchan Sonnet
The two names are interchanged regularly, but there are more Italians and only one Petrarch. Other sonnets could fit under the “Italian” title.

A sonnet is recognized as a fourteen-line poem with a Volta, turn, or pivot coming at about L9. Petrarchan sonnets are Italian, which get divided into octave and sestet, where the change of meaning or direction happens between those.

The rhyme scheme is: abbaabba cdecde or cdcdcd.

Napoleonic – Redondilla – Sardine – Sonondilla Sonnet
Here’s an American sonnet version, using tetrameter in iambic, trochaic or other meter.
Redondilla is Spanish from “redondo”, meaning “round”, and the verse form was generally four trochaic lines of eight syllables each, rhymed abba. The alternate rhyme scheme, abab, are also called redondillas, but more commonly are referred to as serventesios. Redondillas appear in Castilian poetry since the 16th century.
This sonnet is based on the Redondilla, with a rhyme scheme of abbacddceeffee or abbaabbaccddcc.

Pushkin Sonnet
This is a sonnet with standard IP and Volta, but a different rhyme combination. It can be taken as:
· Italian, two quatrains plus two tercets, abab ccdd eff egg, or
· English, three quatrains plus a closing couplet, abab ccdd effe gg.

Reverse English Sonnet
The comic form found in “Sonnet Reversed” by Rupert Brooke is sometimes erroneously credited to Wilfred Owen, for his poem entitled with Brooke’s sonnet’s starting words, altho such work may not exist.
Rhyme scheme is the reverse of a regular English sonnet – aa bcbc dede fgfg.

Scupham Sonnet
A newer form coming out of England, using two Scupham stanzas and a couplet as its rhyme scheme, looks like this: abccba abccba dd. There is no noticeable Volta, but other forms fall into the sonnet category without holding certain parameters.

Shakespearean Sonnet
Shakespearean and Spenserian are the 2 main categories of English sonnets. The Shakespearean holds true to the values of sonnets – IP, Volta, rhyme, etc.
English sonnets break into quatrains rather than an octet, and there is a concluding couplet. Rhyme is abab cdcd efef gg, and the Volta can be anywhere from L9 to L13. Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey, is credited with bringing the sonnet to England.

Sicilian Sonnet
This sonnet has an octet and sestet, differentiated by the Volta. Both octave and sestet are Sicilian, with a rhyme pattern of abababab cdcdcd or abababab cdecde.

Song That Luc Bat Sonnet
From the Asian forms. LBS is a Vietnamese non-sonnet. It is made up of three -and-a-half Song That Luc Bat stanzas, as follows. There is some resemblance to a sonnet.

xxxxxxa
xxxxxxa
xxxxxb
xxxxxbxc

xxxxxxc
xxxxxxc
xxxxxd
xxxxxdxe

xxxxxxe
xxxxxxe

Sonnet Redoubled – Redoublé
Here’s a 210-line undertaking, kin of the Corona-Crown-Garland set. The first sonnet of this 15-sonnet chain is the main feature, as its lines appear in each of the others downstream. Two versions are known:
1. The first sonnet’s lines become the end lines of each subsequent sonnet.
2. Each sonnet begins with one of the first sonnet’s lines, in order.

Spenserian Sonnet
The less popular English version of sonnet, this 3-quatrain, 1-couplet version actually employs couplets mid-stream, as its rhyme scheme is abab bcbc cdcd ee. It uses fewer rhyme sets than Shakespearean, but needs more rhyme words to go around. The Volta is as usual, around L9.

Stretched Sonnet
A sonnet stretched to 16 or more lines by someone who couldn’t compress thoughts into the required 14.

Terza Rima Sonnet
See Diaspora sonnet.

Wordsworth’s Sonnet
Here’s a version of Italian with octet and sestet, a proper Volta, and a rhyme slightly different than the regular Italian ones: abbaaccb, dedeff.

·······IPB·······

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 30 06, 18:07
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

thanks.gif so much Eric for posting this tile.

For those who are saying, "Huh? I thought we already had a sonnet tile?" - you are correct.

I had asked Eric if he would be kind enough (and willing) to post a separate tile for the 'variations' we have come to know throughout the forums. This is most certainly a very well detailed list. Read.gif

I shall be back with my first attempt soon. Mine will most likely be in the 'Indefinable Sonnet' category *hey - at least I can say it exists now! comedy.gif

Hoping our sonneteers will practice and post here in this tile!

Cheers and thankies Eric. wizard2.gif

~Cleo unicorn.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 1 06, 13:24
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

OK all. Read.gif

I finally did it - I wrote my first sonnet (the September book title challenge inspired me)! dance.gif dance.gif dance.gif

This one is the sonnet variation: Alternating Sonnet, which is a French form made up of alternating tercets and quatrains in Iambic Pentameter; Volta at L8 & L12; rhyme scheme = abba – ccd – abba – ede.

Here it is. ballet.gif

Rejoice

Inside her mind an act of treason calls
to tempt those fragile things she can’t erase
from years of blood and thunder - her disgrace
parades itself on camouflaged red walls.

For one more day her life is all but dead
to he who casts the stones, victim instead;
first light will bring her justice: this she knows.

The missing song will echo through the halls;
truth’s harmony will find its ‘just’ embrace.
Exploits by perjured soon profess their place
releasing her from years of hate-filled mauls.

Once victim, now the victor, finds her voice
and freedom from the bondage she had chose…
‘Not guilty’ serenades her, she’ll rejoice.

Copyright © Lorraine M Kanter 01 Oct 2006

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 8 06, 21:16
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

couplet sonnet:

prophet’s eye

this side of up and out or down in flames
we search through life for what a body claims
is dashed between our first date and our last
to learn about the future ere it’s passed

round corners everywhere we try to sneak
from someone who may volunteer to leak
a secret insight, lob a crumb our way
diverting us from living in today

dwell out beyond the suburbs, work in town…
to do whatever prompts the leased renown
with every resource lying in our field
for profits, eying maximizing yield

who'll chair the harvest of your bumper crop
or soak in all that gravy with a sop

© MLee Dickens’son 08 Oct 2006

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Oct 21 06, 16:23
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

wave.gif Hi Eric,

I've chosen the Blues Sonnet to try out. I figure I can make some use of my non-sensical complaining, I figure my daughter is tired of hearing me complain how I don't feel well and how life is passing by...that I can at least make the whining sound pretty! wink.gif

Thank you for doing such an excellent job providing these resources for us. Espcially me, because I haven't yet stepped into an attempt for a Sonnet Variant.

It isn't a good one and I think I will be back on this one to make some improvements. wink.gif

Hugs, Liz

Filtering Fibromyalgia
Blues Sonnet # 1

My moans and groans have taken on a tone;
for every oh there is an ah, a tone
of pain is sung...I long to be alone.

Some mornings, waking can become a chore,
to keep a hold of anything, a chore-
but making my way from kitchen to door

I'm constantly sweating out the thought
my cognitive ability is thought
to dumb me down...sometimes I feel I ought

to crawl inside myself, reclused from all
and anyone who thinks that this is all
a simple thing to handle, and I fall

behind each day. The pain is like a song
a legato lyrical hymn...my song
that tells of woes, how everthing seems wrong.

What good it does to sing my aches and ohs
I'll never know...Hark, I forgot my woes!

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 1 07, 07:52
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I hope I did this correctly! A Bowlesian Sonnet contains three quatrains and a heroic couplet, in English fashion but the rhyme pattern shifts to the Italian enveloped rhyme rather than English abab. The Volta comes somewhere between L9 and L13. Rhyme: abba cddc effe gg

Calanon

I

As tidal sprays of Calanon depart
and shift to shores of distant Pintaray,
a longing like a vulture circling prey
sprawls out in waves of calling close to heart.

“You’re free!” Araya nudged Apollo’s frame.
“Run like our ancestors and don’t look back!”
Ten thousand miles pass through shield of black
concealing divination he would claim.

“The reign of humankind has met its end
for I do now assert a Stallion’s right!”
His woodland kinship praises mystic plight…
“Relinquish Calanon to me, my friend.”

A fractal eclipse dawns and sets the course
for domination’s shift from man to horse.

Copyright © Lorraine M Kanter 31 Mar 2007
All rights reserved as an unpublished work

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 15 14, 13:58
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

An Alternating Sonnet variation:

Wanderlust

She greets the morn’ with tantalizing grace
and flits along an unsuspecting breeze.
Her wonderland awaits. Moments she’d freeze
if only she could find her long-lost place.

Among a floral canvas, splendor calls
where boundaries are scaled. No longer walls
preclude her progress; winsome turns she’ll drift!

Entwined within bright blooms, she hides her face
and dines on woodland’s nectar. She’s a tease!
Companions of the glen can never seize
her boundless will. Yet, always there’s a trace . . .

And when her time has come to pass, we’ll see
true loveliness preserved: Perception’s gift
and wonder if somehow, she could be me.

Copyright © Lorraine M Kanter 15 July 2014

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Jul 16 14, 23:11
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Lori,

Wow!!!!!

I'm so glad you brought this thread back into the light. Apparently it was begun about 9 months before I came to
MM and stopped about 2 months before I joined. Merlin did an exceptional job of covering the majority of Sonnet
forms with a couple I didn't recognize.

Kudos to you on your beautiful sonnets as well as Liz's and Daniel's posts. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them and, although
I haven't written one in a few weeks, I shall try to put my two cents in soon.

I know this is not a crit forum but when reading, I saw an inadvertent error in Daniel's "prophet's eye". In S2/L2, "my"
should have been "may". It doesn't read right otherwise.

Loved it and like Arnold says, "I'll be back!".

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jul 17 14, 12:08
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Lori, thank your for an excellent example of sonnetude (or whatever one may call such writing). I thoroughly enjoyed your expertise. I recall in the past your often saying how difficult it was for you to write a sonnet. It surely did not show here!

And thank you, Larry, for offering the typo correction. I've gone back and made the correction that you correctly surmised!

deLighting in Merlin's excellent leadership here.

P.S. Merlin could well have included my own sonnet variation, the Sonnet Bref, had I 'invented' it at that time.

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 17 14, 12:49
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Larry and Daniel, wave.gif wave.gif

I was encouraged to write a sonnet from Sam (4Rum) on Facebook. So, I gave this format another whirl.
It's the first poem in a long time! I hope to put it up for crits in Herme's. And I am very overdue on posting new challenges (2 weeks) - I've been away and no internet.

Perhaps tonight after I get home I'll post some things and some replies. I always read and enjoy your banter here in karnak.

Talk soon and post, post, post!
Cheers,
~Lori cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Jul 1 15, 14:13
Post #11

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi All,

As promised, I'm back after nearly a year. Totally forgot about this string and have penned many sonnets since
my last post here but due to a lack of "attendance" in this and other forums I've confined myself to banter with
Daniel in a few of the shorter forms here in Karnak.

While re-reading this string, I noticed one slight "nit" in Lori's Calanon - S2/L3 is short 1/2 foot.

Ten thousand miles pass through (a) shield of black

I inserted "a" as an indefinite article but any type of modifier denoting texture/size/shape/etc. to "shield of black" to
maintain IP.

I'll try to make sure my next posted sonnet will be in this string.

Hope to see someone here again!

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:51

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: