Larry
post Sep 15 17, 08:11
Post #1

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Just wondered in.

This was written over 20 years ago, a week or so after the paparazzi caused the wreck which took Diana’s life in Paris. I figured, seeing as how all the television specials aired a tribute to her, I would like to add my two cents. This might be considered a ballad or a “Stretched Sonnet” in iambic tetrameter; whichever you like.

Ode to Princess Diana

Grief flows from souls! A molten stream
falls down upon a world-wide wreath
as anguished wails rise like a dream
to God from mourners’ hearts beneath.

Her shortened life, romance and fame
was ended as from fears she fled;
though mother of two kings, the same.
Earth’s fragrant flower now lies dead.

Great deeds achieved with more to give
the sick and poor; brought hope's bright rays.
Plucked from life's path where she could live;
the long night fell upon her days.

Bright streams of flowers, laid with care,
were tributes from their grief and love.
The whole world paused in silent prayer
as Heaven praised a rose above.

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JustDaniel
post Sep 16 17, 09:57
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

An excellent tribute, Larry...

and demonstration that you have greatly improved your skills in the 20 years since!

deLighting in your growth, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Sep 17 17, 12:16
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Hey Daniel,

It wasn't that bad, was it? Any suggestions for improvement? I know I didn't add any asterisks for a level of critique but always look for improvement.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Ali zonak
post Sep 18 17, 07:21
Post #4

Babylonian

Member No.: 5,325
Referred By:none

[quote name='Larry' date='Sep 15 17, 08:11 ' post='148532']
This was written over 20 years ago, a week or so after the paparazzi caused the wreck which took Diana’s life in Paris. I figured, seeing as how all the television specials aired a tribute to her, I would like to add my two cents. This might be considered a ballad or a “Stretched Sonnet” in iambic tetrameter; whichever you like.

Ode to Princess Diana

Grief flows from souls! A molten stream
falls down upon a world-wide wreath
as anguished wails rise like a dream
to God from mourners’ hearts beneath.

Her shortened life, romance and fame
was ended as from fears she fled;
though mother of two kings, the same.
Earth’s fragrant flower now lies dead.

Great deeds achieved with more to give
the sick and poor; brought hope's bright rays.
Plucked from life's path where she could live;
the long night fell upon her days.

Bright streams of flowers, laid with care,
The whole world paused in silent prayer.

Hi Larry;
your poem is just fine, but by changing the last quatrain into a couplet (see above) you also have a sonnet. And now I should bite my tongue, lol. I never cared for royalty; and I certainly never cared for the woman whose lifestyle was a bit on the fast side--although the press tried to overlook her conduct that, in my opinion, was less than princely. Just the biased opinion of a guy who believes in non-boozing fairy-tale princesses. Sorry, Larry.
Ali

·······IPB·······

~~~~
It is a poem’s absolute perfection that can lead to its imperfection.
~~~~

Larry
post Sep 27 17, 22:01
Post #5

Creative Chieftain

Hi Ali,

I never cared much for “royalty” myself but Diana never acted like nor seemed to be a part of that snooty crowd. She was down to earth and was, very much, a people person.

Now, as far as having a “lifestyle on the fast side”, that aspect didn’t appear until after bonny Prince Charlie started fooling around with Camilla. Diana was a 16 year old virgin when they met and Charles was a known womanizer who saw something in her with which his Mom might think suitable to give birth to the next generation of royals. Charles’ attitude was an in-your-face philanderer and the only reason that wasn’t blown up in the press was because the press was reticent about pissing off the queen. However, the press and paparazzi had no qualms about inserting themselves in the day-to-day goings on of Diana. They hounded her constantly and, yes, she enjoyed a bit of the notoriety because it helped her in forwarding her causes such as poverty, removal of unexploded land-mines in old war zones, etc. Her “wild” attitude surfaced after she knew there was no solution to her marital problems. In this case, what was good for the gander was also good for the goose if for no other reason out of spite. I still think the queen had something to do with the wreck in Paris because Diana had become an embarrassment to the “crown”. Anyway, I still think the world lost a beautiful person both inside and outside but she had done her duty by giving birth to an heir and a spare and was no longer needed in that respect.

Now, for the poem itself, it is already considered to be a “Stretched Sonnet” which is one of about 50 varieties of Sonnets and in that respect is permissible. As I stated before, this was written about 20 years ago and if I cared to edit it into a standard tetrameter sonnet (another variety), your suggestion would be taken into consideration. Thanks for stopping by for a read and glad you enjoyed most of what I wanted to put forth.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Oct 1 17, 01:32
Post #6

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

What a lovely tribute to Princess Di, the people's Queen of Hearts. Did you know that, amongst the loads of flowers placed at the gates of Buckingham Palace by weeping people, there were dozens of actual cards of the Queen of Hearts?

Diana had once said that she didn't aspire to be a Royal Highness any more, as that right had already been taken away from her, so she would be pleased to be the people's Queen of Hearts, just that.

Adding to your list of charities or foundations she headed, was the Aids Foundation and a Mental Health charity, both of which pissed off the Queen. She visited lepers and shook hands with them, in poor countries. She had no problem holding poverty stricken children in her lap, wherever she visited. I'm convinced that she did it due to her enormous empathy with these people, which included the elderly in Britain... and so on.

Did you get to see the documentary aired on the 20th. anniversary of her death? I was able to see it on NatGeo channel in English, as well as on local TV programs, but dubbed into Spanish. I was somewhat amazed at the softness of her spoken voice, even when she was asked about the worst periods of her life, especially Charles's infidelity with Camilla.

"... Bright streams of flowers, laid with care,
were tributes from their grief and love.
The whole world paused in silent prayer
as Heaven praised a rose above."

Just love these lines, so true. She was loved worldwide. Both her wedding and her funeral were televised to millions of people. So sad...

Thanks for sharing your stretched sonnet with us, after so many years.
Best.
Syl*** butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Oct 3 17, 13:39
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Hello Syl,

Glad to see you back and thanks for stopping by for a read. The reason I posted this was the 4 specials which were aired on the 20th anniversary of her death.

I didn't know about the "queen of hearts" cards which were left with the floral gifts. That was a nice touch.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 13:32

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: