of life everlasting.

Cathy Bollhoefer
copyright April2006

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Billydo_*
post Apr 15 06, 08:15
Post #2

Hi Cathy

I enjoyed this as a poem and for the clever use of symbolism. Story has it that lilies grew where Christ's sweat fell to the ground at Gethsemane.

I also associated the trumpet image with the trumpets of the soldiers as well as the promise of the dies irae.

Powerful.

Cheers

Mike

Guest_Cathy_*
post Apr 15 06, 09:02
Post #3

Hi Mike,

It's nice to see you!

Hi Cathy

I enjoyed this as a poem and for the clever use of symbolism. Story has it that lilies grew where Christ's sweat fell to the ground at Gethsemane.

That's where the idea came from.  I had trouble pulling this one together and I'm still not happy with it.

I also associated the trumpet image with the trumpets of the soldiers as well as the promise of the dies irae.

Not to mention the trumpet shape of the lily~  *smiles*

Powerful.

Thank you~

Cathy

moon_shadow'...
post Apr 15 06, 15:00
Post #4

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 155
Writer of: Poetry

Hello Cathy,

It's been a very long time since I did a crit, so bear with me.

A sky bruised by buffeting clouds
backdrops a suffering soul.

The imagery is terrific, and the alliteration is well done.  However, I'm not sure if "suffering soul" is really accurate.  If your referring to the soul of Jesus, it wasn't really suffering at all, as he knew why he was there and that his Father had plans for him (not starting a theological debate, just stating my interpretation  :)  ).  It was only his body that was suffering.  Maybe something like "reconciled", or "submissive".  Just pondering.

Twisting, joint-rending pain
rips through a battered body,
flesh laid to ribbons ...
they crown their travesty
with plaited thorns.

I like "Twisted" in place of "Twisting".  Changes the meaning slightly, but alludes to a sickness in the hearts and minds of the tormentors.  I love the last two lines of this stanza.  Great.

Pleas for our salvation
echo through inky darkness

Again, personal interpretation here.  Suggest something like "Heaven's golden halls" ( yeah I know, cliche) in place of "inky darkness".  Just something to convey that the pleas are meant to be heard by God and not neccessarily man.

Each drop of bloody sweat
wrung from Christ's agony
bears white-robed apostles of hope;

Wonderful stanza.  Very powerful.

You've attempted to portray one of the most powerful stories in history and done a good job.  A very difficult task and not one I'd care to try.  These are only my opinions of course.  Toss anything you don't like.

Dan

·······IPB·······

1 Broken Mirror = 7 Years of Bad Luck
7 Years of Bad Luck = Many More Broken Mirrors
So..
Break any mirrors and you might as well shoot yourself and get it over with.

Guest_Cathy_*
post Apr 16 06, 07:58
Post #5

Hi Dan,

It's nice to meet you!  Welcome to MM!  *smiles*

Hello Cathy,

It's been a very long time since I did a crit, so bear with me.

No problem ... I've been critting for some time and I still worry about how they come across.

The imagery is terrific, and the alliteration is well done.  However, I'm not sure if "suffering soul" is really accurate.  If your referring to the soul of Jesus, it wasn't really suffering at all, as he knew why he was there and that his Father had plans for him (not starting a theological debate, just stating my interpretation    ).  It was only his body that was suffering.  Maybe something like "reconciled", or "submissive".  Just pondering.

I realize all that but I still think he may have been 'suffering'.  After all, at the time, He was human just like us.  Even though He knew what and why this was happening I think He may still have been sad that it needed to be.  Accepting ... yes, but content and joyful ... I doubt that.  I will give your thoughts consideration when working on the revision though.  Thanks!

Twisting, joint-rending pain
rips through a battered body,
flesh laid to ribbons ...
they crown their travesty
with plaited thorns.  

I like "Twisted" in place of "Twisting".  Changes the meaning slightly, but alludes to a sickness in the hearts and minds of the tormentors.  I love the last two lines of this stanza.  Great.

I like your idea of 'twisted' for this line.  It works quite well in this scenario ... thanks!

Pleas for our salvation
echo through inky darkness

Again, personal interpretation here.  Suggest something like "Heaven's golden halls" ( yeah I know, cliche) in place of "inky darkness".  Just something to convey that the pleas are meant to be heard by God and not neccessarily man.

I see what you mean.  I will work on it and see what I can come up with.

Each drop of bloody sweat
wrung from Christ's agony
bears white-robed apostles of hope;

Wonderful stanza.  Very powerful.

Thank you!

You've attempted to portray one of the most powerful stories in history and done a good job.  A very difficult task and not one I'd care to try.  These are only my opinions of course.  Toss anything you don't like.

Thanks Dan!  I'm not sure I'm content with it yet myself.  *smiles*  Thanks for dropping in and taking the time to comment!  Much appreciated!

Cathy

moon_shadow'...
post Apr 17 06, 07:39
Post #6

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 155
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Cathy.

The imagery is terrific, and the alliteration is well done.  However, I'm not sure if "suffering soul" is really accurate.  If your referring to the soul of Jesus, it wasn't really suffering at all, as he knew why he was there and that his Father had plans for him (not starting a theological debate, just stating my interpretation    ).  It was only his body that was suffering.  Maybe something like "reconciled", or "submissive".  Just pondering.

I realize all that but I still think he may have been 'suffering'.  After all, at the time, He was human just like us.  Even though He knew what and why this was happening I think He may still have been sad that it needed to be.  Accepting ... yes, but content and joyful ... I doubt that.  I will give your thoughts consideration when working on the revision though.  Thanks!

Actually, I agree with you.  And it helps give the impression that he was really more "human" than we realize.  I just thought I'd throw out the "opposite side of the fence" point of view for comparison.

Good luck,

Dan

·······IPB·······

1 Broken Mirror = 7 Years of Bad Luck
7 Years of Bad Luck = Many More Broken Mirrors
So..
Break any mirrors and you might as well shoot yourself and get it over with.

Guest_Cathy_*
post Apr 17 06, 07:52
Post #7

*smiles*

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my thinking~

I will still think about what you said though.  I'm never averse to change if I can find a better way to describe something so we shall see.

Cathy sun.gif

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 18:24

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: