Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Dear MM member,

Mosaic Musings is always looking for ways of improving the site for members to allow you to be more involved.  We'd appreciate it if you could spare a bit of time to complete our questionnaire so that we have some idea of what our members think of the site. ALL member feedback is most appreciated!

Please reply with your suggestions as we value the opinions of our members. I will also post this questionnaire in the Cuneiform Chronicles forum should you wish to respond there in public. Could you also indicate in your reply if you give permission for me to post your thoughts in the public thread, and if so, with or without your member name please?

1. How did you find out about MM?

2. What persuaded you to join?

3. How long have you been a member of MM?

4. How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?

5. What do you enjoy most about MM?

6. What do you like least about MM?

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.

8. Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?

9. Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM?

10. As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?

11. Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting?

12. Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.

13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?

14. When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?

15. Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)?

Thank you for taking the time to complete this questionnaire in advance!

Lori Kanter aka Cleo and the entire MM staff

Lori Kanter
Manager
Mosaic Musings, LLC
PO Box 39
Stow, MA 01775
USA

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 12:56
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

How do folks prefer me to post in the replies that I receive?

I was planning to just post in the Q's and A's as I receive them...

Please let me know

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 13:03
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I'll start with my own reply:

The friendly atmosphere - a feeling of 'family', my home away from home where I know I will receive honest, yet fair feedback.

8. Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?
Personally, I have NO issues with the navigation - the site map is helpful and the category descriptions are also easily visible. The addition of sub-categories has also helped to contain the forums within their set topics.

There are always things to be improved upon. I'd like to hear what others think first....

12. Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.
YES, for the most part, ALL crits are well received and respected. The reigning thought in my mind is the politeness with which our members interact.

13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?
YES. I do not like it at all. Good intentions aside, I feel it deters the piece at hand and other reader's thoughts when more than one poem exists in a crit tile.

14. When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?
YES. Unrelated discussions should be posted in a non-crit forum such as Alexandria's Library. Related discussions (when followed with a crit are fine - however if they take over the thread, then they should also go the the Library so as not to clutter the tile with non-crit comments IMHO.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post May 15 05, 16:35
Post #4

1. How did you find out about MM?  Surfing the web.

2. What persuaded you to join?  The vast array of things offered as well as the crits that I'd read.  I wanted help to improve my writing and I felt this would be the place to do that.

3. How long have you been a member of MM?  8 months

4. How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?  LOL  At least 5 times a day!

5. What do you enjoy most about MM?  The learning opportunities!

6. What do you like least about MM?  I'm not sure there is anything.

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.  Yes, most everyone has been friendly and extremely helpful.

8. Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?  I do now.  At first glance it seemed a bit overwhelming but as I took time to look things over it became easy.

9. Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM?  Not that I can think of at the moment.

10. As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?  Yes, right after I joined and before I posted anything.

11. Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting? OOPS!  LOL  As I said, I read them right before I posted so I wouldn't goof.

12. Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.  Most of the crits I've received have been extrememly helpful, if they were simply comments they were friendly ones.

13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile? It doesn't bother me.

14. When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion? Depends on how long or involved the discussion is.  Sometimes it makes it hard to find the actual crits.

15. Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)?  Not right now but if I come up with anything I will let you know. sun.gif

Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 16:52
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks very much Cathy for taking the time to respond.

We value your feedback! cheer.gif

~Cleo :D

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 16:55
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello all! rainbow.gif

The following response is from our member, ARTESIAMEEKS...

Thanks Carol for taking the time to respond!
Much appreciated!
~Cleo

1. How did you find out about MM?  (SURFING THE NET, SEEING SOME NAMES OF MEMBERS I KNEW, THEN I ASKED HIM ABOUT THE SITE)  

2. What persuaded you to join?  (SAW IT WAS A WONDERFUL PLACE TO LEARN ABOUT POETRY, WRITING, AND SHARING---THIS ALLOWS A POET TO MATURE IN THEIR CRAFT)

3. How long have you been a member of MM?  (END OF APRIL 2005)

4. How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?  (I TRY TO LOGON DAILY, BUT HAVE HAD SOME PERSONAL PROBLEMS...A DEATH OF A VERY GOOD FRIEND.  THE DAY THEY BRUIED HER HUSBAND,
HER DAD DIED THE NEXT DAY...SO I WAS OFFLINE FOR SEVERAL DAYS WITH THIS)

5. What do you enjoy most about MM?  (READING THE FEEDBACK, TAKING THE OPTIONS OF IMPROVING MY WORK BY THEIR SUGGESTIONS, OR LEAVING IT AS IS...........BUT THE MAIN THING IS LEARNING BY TRYING TO CRITIQUE OTHER'S WORKS....I'VE NEVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY OF DOING THAT BEFORE....THIS IS LEARNING THE CRAFT, MATURING IN THE CRAFT, AND UNDERSTANDING THE CRAFT OF POETRY)

6. What do you like least about MM?  (I'M NEW, AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS......GETTING FROM PAGE TO PAGE SOMETIMES, I HAVE TO LOGOUT AND THEN LOGON AGAIN...I'M SURE IT IS NOT AS DIFFICULT AS I MAKE IT, BUT THIS IS THE FIRST FORUMN
I'VE BEEN ACTIVE WITH, AND THERE ARE MANY AREAS I STILL HAVE TO MASTER HERE, BUT I AM WILLING TO LEARN)

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.  (OH YES!...VERY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL...THEY DON'T TRY TO PUT YOU DOWN OR EMBARASS YOU)

8. Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?  (AS I SAID, I AM NEW AND AM LEARNING TO NAVIGATE AROUND THE SITE, EACH DAY I TRY SOMETHING NEW, AND IT IS GETTING EASIER)

9. Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM?  (NOT AT THIS TIME)

10.As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?  (YES)

11.Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting? (BOTH, SOME ALONG THE WAY)

12. Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.  (FOR ME, IT HAS ALL BEEN POSITIVE, I FEEL THAT EVERYONE HAS OFFERED THEIR HELP, THEIR CRITIQUES IS FOR THE INTEREST OF MAKING MY WORK BETTER, AND I AM ALWAYS LOOKING TO IMPROVE MY WORK....WHY PUT IT OUT THERE FOR ANY OTHER REASON?  AND AS I SAID, LOOKING AT OTHERS WORK IMPROVES MY WRITING...I'VE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE, BUT IT IS A LEARNING TOOL...IT HELPS YOU UNDERSTAND POETRY FROM ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW, NOT JUST YOUR OWN).

13.  When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?  (SO FAR, THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ME, BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT WOULD BE A PROBLEM....LIKE I SAID, I AM STILL NEW HERE, SO IN MY BLISS OF BEING A NEWBORN ON THE SITE, I CAN'T SEE WHY IT WOULD BE TROUBLE...IF YOU ARE TRYING TO LEARN).

14. When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?  (I THINK THAT MIGHT BRING TROUBLE IF YOU ARE NOT alert).

15.   Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)? (NOT AT THIS TIME, JUST PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH ME AND I WILL LEARN TO MASTER MY TRIPS AND JOURNEYS HERE....I THINK YOUR SITE IS LOVELY, AND I THINK YOU HAVE WONDERFUL PARTICIPATES ON IT).

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 17:17
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello all!  wave.gif

I received the following reply from our member, APHRODITE.
Thanks Lindi for taking the time to respond!
Much appreciated!
~Cleo

How did you find out about MM?  From you.

What persuaded you to join? Wanted to support you and your endeavor, while tapping into my creativity!

How long have you been a member of MM? From the beginning.

How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active? Not as much, as of late. Your site offers plenty and then some.

What do you enjoy most about MM? Posting and receiving feedback on my work and reading poetry/stories from others! Challenges are fun too! (especially the photo ones)

What do you like least about MM? If I must include a negative; too many forums. (even though they are great) I think the way you have condensed a few into one makes it more appealing!

Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why. Yes.

Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see? Not all of the time. Lots of info to read and sometimes can be a bit overwhelming.

Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM? No, you have a great site!

As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM? I browsed through them. I have not read in its entirety. Too little time for me.

Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting? Browsed at them before.

Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why. Most of the time. Of course, there will always be a couple of  poets/writers who feel that their way is the only way!

When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile? No.

When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion? No, however I feel that if in-depth discussions become too lengthily, they should be moved to  "discussion" forums instead.

Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)? No. Your site is very creative and includes just about everything for every writer/poet! Your time and effort is very evident!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 17:50
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello all.  wave.gif

Here is the survey replies from Jox.

Thanks James for taking the time to respond!
Much appreciated!

P.S. Methinks your suggestion a few months ago will need to be looked at re: Graphical alternate index page....  Jester.gif

~Cleo  StarWars1.gif

1.How did you find out about MM?

From Grace (Cybele). We were both members of the now defunct “Thought Cafe” writers’ web site. Then Lori PM’d me and invited me, too.

2.What persuaded you to join?

It did take some persuading. I found MM very friendly and helpful. At the same time, Thought Cafe had some very rude mods working on it (it eventually ended amid much acrimony). I value politeness above most things.

I joined 6th September, 2003 - about one year, eight months.

4. How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?

Several times a day (or stay logged on). To be more active, I’d have to become part of the PC.

Criticism / Help; friendship; learning; seeing others’ work. (In no particular order).

Impoliteness / rudeness (rare); people not responding to crits I leave (rare) Excessive complexity. (Too many initiatives which can be confusing, Too many rubrics.

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.

Extremely helpful. Best I’ve ever found - easily.

I find it very difficult even now. I’d prefer a graphical interface with very little writing to be read unless one wishes to. I find the forum names very confusing and often have to resort to calling them, by other names to understand.

Yes. I won’t list them here - many are known anyway.

10. As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?

Almost none, no. Can’t cope with them. I just stare at the text and give up.

11. Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting?

Doubt it.

Generally excellent.

13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it
interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if nother member posts their own poetry into your tile?

Yes. I hate it.

14. When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your
process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?

Yes I dislike it. But that is unrelated.

Related writing is a completely different matter. Most of what I write
is political and if people don’t take an interest in the substance of what I am writing I feel the writing has zero value. I have no interest at all in writing for writing sake - seems pointless to me. Writing (for me) must always carry a message or it has no value whatsoever - though that value may be ascribed by the reader (e.g. to an abstract piece).
So if people were not able / willing to discuss the meaning of my work within the crit I would think the crit and posting for crit had no value. A recent example is my poem about the new Pope. What would be the point of discussing technique / words if the subject was of no interest?

15. Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help s to improve MM)?

MM is easily the best posting lit-crit site I have ever seen. Lori’s Genesis and driving have been and are quite extraordinary.

James Oxenholme. (Jox)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 18:58
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello all.    wave.gif

Here are the survey replies from Perrorist.

Thanks Perry for taking the time to respond!
Much appreciated!

Here's another vote for a Graphical alternate index page of sorts.  

~Cleo   Wizard.gif

1.    How did you find out about MM?

From Fran Martell

2.    What persuaded you to join?

Fran

3.      How long have you been a member of MM?

Since 19 December 2004

4.      How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?

Usually once a day.

5.      What do you enjoy most about MM?

Friendly atmosphere.

6.      What do you like least about MM?

Preoccupation with awards and levels.

7.      Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.

Yes.

8.      Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?

No.

9.      Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM?

Redesign the board to make it easier to navigate.

10.      As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?

No.

11.      Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after
active posting?

No.

12.      Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.

Yes.

13.      When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?

No.

14.      When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?

No.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 19:09
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello all!  rainbow.gif

This is Nina's reply below.
Thanks so much for your feedback Nina!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

I was a member at BBC Get Writing and through there got to know James and Fran.  James recommended this site to me. (thank you James)

I wasn’t getting much constructive feedback at BBCGW and I didn’t like the way posts disappeared so quickly because of the amount that was posted each day.  MM seemed much more professional though a little daunting at first for a relative newbie to poetry and a complete novice at critting.

5 months

Several times! a day

the warm friendly camaraderie, intellectual stimulation.  It is  my second home    

Names of forums that I can never remember or spell

When I joined I found the staff very friendly and welcoming

as I have become more familiar with the board it has become a lot easier.  The forum jump is very useful as is the latest posts

It probably isn’t possible, but a post start date on latest posts would be helpful

yes, when I first joined

when I first registered.

the crits are always constructive and positive and given in a thoughtful considerate manner

Fortunately I have never had another member posting a poem in my tile.   A couple of lines wouldn’t bother me but if it was a whole poem then I wouldn’t be very happy.  Their poem couldn’t help me to improve my own and other members might start commenting on their poem instead of mine.

so long as I have received a fair crit from those members and if I am personally involved in the unrelated discussion then I have no problem, otherwise the discussion is best carried out elsewhere.

15. Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)?

I am very happy with the MM the way it is at present.  Lori, you work very hard to keep the energy going with new ideas and challenges and it is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 15 05, 19:21
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi all. grinning.gif

The following is the responses from AMETHYST.
Thanks Liz! Much appreciated!
~Cleo  sun.gif

I was honored to be a part of the first tiles and to watch the boulders and design
come to life! wink.gif

The famililarity and knowledge of Lori's ability to create, to critique and to inspire, which is what I want out of a poetry forum.

From the first idea of it.

4. How often do you log on MM?

I try to log on at least once a day, sometimes when life is getting in my way, I cannot get the time to log on for days or weeks at a time, then I try to catch up. Although, sometimes...with some of my health issues, I find there is too much going on at once and I become confused, or overwhelmed and most often I log in daily to check the same forums, which are mostly the R&M critique, the FreeForm Critique and administration when necessary.

The friendly atmostphere, the Pandora Challenge and the feedback which helps to improve my work. I also feel the variety of poetry/prose is wonderful to fit each person individually.

Too much going on at one time, with too many places to get lost in. But that is easily rectified by knowing which forums I want to participate most and that fits my personal enjoyment of critiquing, reading and posting my own work for improvement.

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful?

I can answer this as if I was not on the staffing, because many times and for a long time...I often held the active role of posting infrequently and rarely took an active part in adminstative incidents. However, I have found each of the staff members (especially those that have held the position for a long while) to be welcoming and easy to speak to.

8. Do you find the board easy to navigate?

By navigate, if you are asking finding your way around and/or knowing your way around. No... for me, there is a lot of places, that lead to a lot of places that has yet more places with names I cannot remember sometimes (this is probably due to my health issues..)

Not sure... The poets area has just the right amount of things going on without it become overwhelming. I like that. It is easy to keep up with what is going on there. Not sure what suggestions I would offer.

10. As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and Forum Participation Rules) of MM?

Yes, When they were first posted I read throught them thoroughly and over the past few years, when there had been slight changes or additions I skimmed through them and reread the edits.

Both.

12. Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive?

Sometimes, but not always. Sometimes the feedback is not as intense and/or as indepth as I am looking for. But the feedback I do receive is always excellent suggestions and ideas on how I can improve. So although there are times I look for more intensity and receive moderate to mild critique, what is offered is always helpful.

13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand, if another member posts their own poetry in your tile?

It offends me if a member posts a poem of their own, instead of offering my critique and discussion about the poem, or when the member posts a poem of their own within their discussion losing the effectiveness of their suggestions and feedback and taken conversation away from the focus of the poem at hand. However, I don't mind a friendly poetic comment when there is the main focus of their post in my tile is critique and feedback to improve that tiles poem, and they sign off with a poetic greeting to say catch you later. I never felt it a positive thing when others posted whole poems of their own in someone else's tile...UNLESS the poem came up in discussion about device or other helpful suggestions to improve the posted poem and to show an example. Even then, it should be invited. However, mild small talk within a full critique of a poem doesn't bother me at all.

14. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem or story, if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?

The key word here is UNRELATED. Many times I've seen a conversation that in NO way helps the posting member to better their poem, but the conversation goes into a debate and goes into a full all out discussion and other members come into the thread/tile and never actually critique or comment on the poem, because their focus is taken away from the poem and into the new/primary discussion. I don't mind conversation when it is still on or about the poems improvement and it teaches and includes the worth of the poem. It bothers me a great deal when the conversation begins on subject that is about the process of the poem/story and to help discuss what would benefit it, and then, all further conversations there after tend to lose all the focus of the poem/storys critique. I don't mind if a conversation or debate is specifically about the poem at hand. When a great debate or discussion is started, I am all for taking and creating a thread/tile in a learning forum to discuss at great lengths. This is where we learn, this is where it would be a benefit for all to get involved and learn from. If it is lost in someone poem tile, how can other members read through the discussion and learn from it or gain their own perspective and opinion or join in.

15. Do you have any other comments?

I have seen and participated in many other forums in many places on line and I find that MM offers such a grand variety of interests that fit a variety of personal perferences. I think that opens the membership to a broader audience and the atmostphere is both friendly and inviting which makes it always feel like home.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post May 16 05, 01:46
Post #12

From James (on BBC Get Writing)

The quality of the poetry and critiques, and the warm atmosphere.

November, 2004 (6 months)

I am active here almost every day, several times a day - would take a great deal to keep me away.

The friendly energy from all the members: it is a warm, welcoming site.
Not knowing what I'll find when I log in (but knowing it will be fun).
Reading others' work. I enjoy this even when I struggle to comprehend, or it is very different to my own (perhaps especially then).
Receiving comments on my own work which may help me improve or reveal things I hadn't noticed.
Learning. For example, my punctuation has improved a great deal since I started using the web and I am beginning to learn a little more about poetry.

Trying to find something in the archives (not too bad in poetry, but if in discussion or something can take ages).

I feel a bit awkward about the chap books and publishing, cos I'm really not interested in that side of things - I've only just started writing, and paper publication is the last thing on my mind (except my novel)

When I arrived everyone was extremely helpful and welcoming. I hope we all are.

The first time I visited MM I turned tail. James talked me in to having another go. The board has so much information - so much explanatory text - along with the quirky name designations that it is rather overwhelming to a newbie. The information does need to be available, but having too much up front is a bit intimidating.

Simplify the information up front.

Yes.

When registering.

The critiques are excellent.

It has never happened to me. I think so long as the person had already critted properly and the perceived aim was friendly I'd not mind. I once did it to someone else - in homage - and I don't think they were pleased, so I wouldn't do it to anyone else.

I enjoy the exchanges that arise and as long as the people involved have critted properly, and as long as they keep the discussion constructive and friendly I don't have a problem with banter.

MM is a wonderful site. Lori and Peter have set up and maintained a fantastic, friendly place and I love the diversity of ideas and expression flourishing here.

As it grows, please keep the fundamental site simple, though.

Fran

Cleo_Serapis
post May 16 05, 07:32
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Fran for your valuable feedback!  :pharoah2

Here are the reponses from Cybele...
Thanks Grace. Much appreciated!
~Cleo  :)

How did you find out about MM?

Personal invitation from you Lori.

What persuaded you to join?

I really enjoyed the whole concept of interacting with other writers.

How long have you been a member of MM?

Since August 2003

How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?

Every day except when on holiday.

What do you enjoy most about MM?

The friendships I have made

What do you like least about MM?

Niggling arguments, although I understand that with membership increasing all the time there are bound to be clashes of personalities.

Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.

Yes, I  have received nothing but courteous help.

Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?

Not really, but then I am a bit of a duffer in that department Alan has recently pointed that I need only go to latest posts to keep up with things when I have been on holiday and lost track of where I was!!! I used to visit all the forums individually which took ages!!!

Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM?

I would like a buzzwords challenge on a weekly basis. Alan told me about this and I thought it sounded like a good stimulus. Not a competition as such, just something to which we could respond if we wished, something to spark off the imagination. Anyone could instigate this with a list of words, which might give Lori a break!

As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?

Yes read them avidly when I joined

Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting?

As above

Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.

On the whole they are very helpful. What I like to see is new members who at first,profess  nervousness at critiquing gradually getting the courage to speak their minds and thereby learning not only about other people’s work but appreciating their own understanding of these works. (Me included in that!)

When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?

Yes, sometimes. But would like to state that on one occasion Alan wrote that he hadbeen inspired by a piece of mine and had written a piece of his own which he had posted in his own tile. I found this not only flattering but intriguing and went straight there to read the piece. (Which was great fun Alan) Cathy also wrote that she loved a line in one of my pieces, which had inspired her to write her own piece. This she also posted separately. I read it, responded and was very flattered.

When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?

Yes.

Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)?

Not at the moment but………

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 16 05, 11:14
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Here is another reply I received from one of our Gold members this morning.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

Through David & Grace

The interactive fashion in which MM functions. I liked meeting other poets & making friends from all over the world.

August 2004.

4.  How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?

I used to log on daily because I enjoy MM immensely, but now I find that I take up too much of my time answering crits, thanking people, making crits, etc. etc. I don't know what the solution is, but I believe a lot of commentaries are unnecessarily included in the poetry forums, that have nothing much to do with members' work.

I balk at making my crit when I see that there are already over 30 answers to wade thru'. I try not to read them all, but one feels stupid if one hasn't understood something that the author has already explained beforehand.  Also, most of the replies are interchanges between a few people, which makes it sort of repetitious. Same names going back & forth, often just jocular stuff. So I prefer to "catch" a poem when it's just been posted, before it becomes a lengthy procedure to make a crit.

5.  What do you enjoy most about MM?

The friendly atmosphere, the attractive layout, the fact that there are forums for all tastes, the steady stream of new ideas to participate ! (Even tho' I can't participate as much as I'd like to...)

The fact that only a relatively small group of people are regulars in the forums, taking into account that MM has over 100 members. I feel the atmosphere is a bit clannish for this reason, but I don't know the answer to this problem.

I also feel that many of the awards and distinctions are totally undeserved. Far too few members cast their votes for the various challenges. Then the awards are displayed by the winners' signatures, in the forums, a custom I consider uncalled for and distracting. It's as if a smallish group of poets were slapping each other on the back all the time, congratulating themselves and others, for work that is mostly of average quality. No offense meant, just being realistic about myself & others. Only once in a while is an outstanding work posted. We should be more modest, find other ways to motivate and/or encourage each other.  

7.  Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.

Yes, very friendly and helpful.

8.  Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?

The board is not easy to navigate at first. One learns, but even so I miss out on many events or notices because new forums seem to spring up without warning. I generally discover them on my own, i.e., the bios, the flash forum and others I can't recall now.

9.  Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM?

Limit the replies to the poems. Don't give awards for number of replies received. Half of them are irrelevant.

Yes.

11.  Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting?

I think I read some before registering, then I continued learning the rules as I went along.

The crits are very good, nearly always. It's the numerous replies and "thank you's" and other chatting that gets in the way and is time-consuming.

13.  When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?

I don't think that's happened to me. Some members have posted famous writers' poems, as examples, which have been helpful & educational. Quotations, mostly.

14.  When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?

Yes. I don't mind some debating, or friendly comments, jokes, etc., but all this tends to make the actual critting & posting very time consuming, as I've said before. Scrolling down all the replies requires too much dedication to MM, at least for me.

I think I've already said everything "up there"... I would add this, however, although it's not very helpful: The 3.2.1. rules in the forums are what, I believe, keep more people away. From participating, that is. These rules seem entirely justified, nevertheless, but have the unfortunate effect of making it "hard work" to keep up the good intentions & enthusiasm one had on registering. One gets burnout after a few months... I can't imagine how the moderators can keep pace with it all, my congratulations to every one of you !!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post May 16 05, 13:53
Post #15

- - Aphrodite invidited me !
- - Was looking for a good new poetry forum after being thrown off VN for daring to put “Boobies” in a poem - apparently this would not impress visiting professors !
- - Aug 03
20 times a day ? Is continuously open when I’m home, check in frequently.
- - family feeling and friendliness - kindred souls and banter. Oh, and the chance to post my poems and crit others who sometimes seem to appreciate it, and grow as poets.
Shambalan Shambles of Forum Names - I have no knowledge of all this antiquity.
Yes
I manage, esp since “latest posts” is up
I would tend to agree that awarding for number of posts/reads is odd. Means the best poems with least back-and-forth go unrewarded
Probably, can’t remember.
?
Yes, excellent
If it is relevant, it is OK with me.
I’m one of the worst offenders, I love it. It can be a minor irritant, but is also one of our great strengths - sparking each other’s ideas. To put a cap on that would I think lose us something vital
I’ve seen where others say that our chat etc seems too clubby. It IS, but as it is not exclusive or excluding, anyone can join, they just need to realise that. I mean, we’ve really only just acquired Fran and Nina, as examples, yet they are very much part of what others see as our non-existent “inner clique” !

Love
Alan

Ephiny
post May 17 05, 04:51
Post #16

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41

I had joined a board called Thoughtcafe, wasn't awfully happy with it and it was about to close and one day, someone mentioned this place so I popped in to visit and got hooked!
It seemed such a friendly place and the feedback looked so in-depth.  People made a real effort to read a piece of work, understand it and reply with both comments on their own thoughts about it and very helpful advice in accordance with what the writer was aiming to get across.

Since November 2003

Somedays, quite a few times.  I work strange hours and sometimes don't get here for a few days at a time..I also don't always have access to a computer, but I come whenever I can

The brilliant pieces of writing that I read everyday, getting to know so many people, the friendliness of the place, the excellent feedback I've been given and everything that I've learned and continue to learn from it, reading the pieces of work here and enjoying that so much

So much going on, it's hard to keep up sometimes but that's not a bad thing! I feel bad sometimes that I don't get a chance to read and respond more, especially in the short story forums.  When I posted there, I was disappointed not to receive more feedback but I understand it as well..because I only read and reply there when I have plenty of time to do it properly and that doesn't often happen.  I'd like to aim to spend more time there because the stories are excellent.  Also I worry sometimes that I am not very good at critiquing..I try to explain my immediate thoughts and impressions when I've read the piece but I feel I'm not always very helpful

They are all terrific, friendly, helpful, informative and very supportive

When I first joined, I felt I'd never get the hang of it and it took a while but yes, it's fine now!!

None that I can think of at the moment..I am so glad to have found here and feel I've learned so much from everyone I've met..both from reading and from the feedback and advice I've received

I read them sometime around the time I joined

I think, before I posted for the first time

They are, very much so.  Sometimes they contain advice and suggestions, and sometimes, comments and thoughts on the piece, either way, it is great is read critiques and really helps to make decisions regarding the piece of writing..they're always very encouraging.  

It's never happened to me..I suppose it would be better for both parties to have their work in separate tiles..if it was a quote from a poem in order to clarify or say something relevant to mine, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Again, this hasn't happened.  One thing I really enjoy about here is the fact that everyone is so friendly, that you can talk and chat to each other.  I like the banter and feeling that everyone is a friend.  Any discussions I've seen have usually been related to a piece of writing, and if this happened in my case, I'd probably be quite happy to see that my piece had sparked so many thoughts and perhaps, questions.  However, if it was an in-depth discussion, it would be better to be moved to the discussions forum.  I can see that it would be wrong for discussions to take away from actual replies and critiques to a piece of writing.

None that I can think of..there are so many different things going on in MM, there's really a chance for anyone who comes here to find something to interest them and to participate in.  I have some slight concerns about awards for amounts of replies to a piece..just in case it would cause anyone to feel bad about their writing if they haven't had as many replies, but probably not though..in general, I love the challenges..they really get me thinking, they're great fun and really add to the friendly atmosphere.  Lori, and MM staff, you've done and are doing a fantastic job!!!!!! rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 17 05, 05:32
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Alan and Lucie for your responses.

I've two more to post in later this evening already as well when I return home from work in about 11 hours....

Cheers all!
~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 17 05, 18:05
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello all!  :wave:

The following are jgdittier's responses.
Thanks Ron for taking the time to complete our survey.
Cheers!
~Cleo  :sun:

Not sure. Probably thru Carrie Ann

Site’s personality

About a year

Twice daily

Careful management

Three day wait, General disinterest in cadence by so-called writers of R&M.

Yes

Yes

Explanation by each poster as to his style of poetry and what he wants emphasized in critiques.

Yes

Before joining

Some are. Some could be written without reading the piece reviewed.

Not at all, I think of it as a compliment.

No

I suspect the reason so many budding poets drop out so soon is critiquing and that being due to excessive nit-picking and simple gushing.

Posters who really don’t want to critique or comment I doubt provide much satisfaction to writers. I believe those who choose not to comment soon will get no comments, so rules requiring comments do more harm than good.

Critiquers should remember their mission is to help the writer improve, not correct a piece with their red pencil. Pointing out a weakness and allowing its writer to revise it may bring far more satisfaction than writing poetry by committee.(It’s true, I’ve done it too!)

Cheers,     Ron

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 17 05, 18:09
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello again.  :rainbow:

The following responses are from JLY.
Thanks John for taking the time to complete our survey!
Cheers!
~Cleo  :lovie:

Dear Lori:

1. How did you find out about MM? and 2. What persuaded you to join?

Larry "Zeus" Carr pointed me in the direction of M. M. and he suggested that I join him.

I joined on 10/31/03

I log on at least a half dozen times a day; most of the time I am in and out very quickly, but sometimes I will hang out there for awhile.

I thoroughly enjoy everyone's positive outlook and team spirit. This is the first place that I can truly say that everyone wants you to improve your craft; there are no jealous remarks; sniping; or caustic comments.

I find M. M. to be a bit overwhelming...too many things going on at one time. My interests are little narrower than others and therefore I don't take full advantage of everything M. M. has to offer.

The staff is the best feature...always accessible and willing to help.

The board is difficult too navigate for me…. but I think it's just me.

I would like to see more challenges revolving around "snippets and phrases" and less about the metaphysical aspects of some photographic image. I find it to be more of a challenge if you are required to utilize x-amount of words and phrases to create your response.

I read the rules when I first joined; have not gone back to them.

I find the critiques to be one of the best features.  I have never resented any that were given to me and for the most part, found many of them to be a positive improvement.

See #14 below

I prefer that everyone focus on the matter at hand.  I don't mind
someone's attempt to re-write my work if it is done without losing the original intent of the work.

If someone is going to comment on my work, I prefer that they focus their efforts on assisting me and not get distracted in side discussions.

I have been a member of a few Poetry Groups and M. M. by far has been the most positive and friendly place. I have developed some friendships here and have found everyone to be interested in self-improvement as well as offering to assist their peers with no expectations in return.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 17 05, 18:13
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello!

The following is from our Zeus - the Zman.  :grinning:
Thanks Larry for your responses and taking the time to complete.
Cheers!
~Cleo  :pharoah2

Helped Lori a teeny bit during establishing site

Invitation from Lori

Beginning

Several times a day

interplay between members within the forums

lots of forums to go thru

Very

reconfigure the site map, be more explicit

It's a work in progress

Partly

same as above

very informative

only if a direct relationship to original

should be moved to another forum

From day one, there have been modifications, and more will come if needed.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 15:30

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: