while sifting sands now disappear.

A silent whisper says "Don't despair!
No need to fret, run here or there-
We're all allowed specific time
to tend our tills, and still the chime-

is closing in, so be aware.
When all is said and done, don't dare
to claim you hadn't seen the sign-
the clock has stopped--we're out of time!

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Jox_*
post Apr 15 05, 20:36
Post #2

Hi Liz - just about to go to bed, so please forgive me if this makes too little sense!

This is rather like Van Morrison's song - and is a good reminder to us all.

However, I sense a relationship "out of time" here, rather than a life.

Just a few comments...

Slowly Still

is running out. No reason, rhyme (Good reversal of a cliche - like that)

Unconsciously, {a}[I} feel the climb
and know we've wasted too much time [-]
running about, without a care
while sifting sands now disappear. (shifting sands - cliche)

We're all allowed specific time (Fatalism?)
to tend our tills, and still the chime- (great last phrase)

to claim you hadn't seen the sign- (seen the sign cliche)

I'm not sure I like reading this - not because it's poor; it's very good. But rather chillingly too good - an unpleasant reminder.

Well done. Thank you (I think!)

James.

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 16 05, 01:10
Post #3

Hi Liz

This is a good poem which flows really well and has an excellent message in it.  People do tend to get comfortable in a relationship and stop putting in as much effort as they did at the beginning.  We treat our partners like a comfortable pair of old slippers without making much of attempt to keep them looking fluffy and new.  Then of course we drift apart so wrapped up in our own interests and only notice when it is too late.  The romance and passion have gone perhaps to be found elsewhere.

just a couple of thoughts {delete} [add}

A silent whisper[,] {says} "Don't despair!
I did wonder if and was the right word here.

Thanks for the read.  It was thought provoking

Nina

JustDaniel
post Apr 16 05, 07:09
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Greetings, Liz.

Just an acedemic question for this morning, then I'm off to work outside.  Hope to look further later.

I see that you may be using a broader definition of 'quatern' than I have read so far, following the four stanzas and the repetition of "time" in successive lines of each of the four stanzas, but I'd only read of repeating the entire line, so this is new to me... though I had not even attempted to write one until this morning.  Reading your tag line spurred me to look at the form again with some excitement.

My quick thoughts are the same as Nina's note, but I'll be back.

Thanks for further Light, Daniel  :sun:

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 17 05, 15:40
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Liz.  wave.gif

I've not heard of a Quatern before. Would you mind posting th form and your example please in Karnak for us all to practice?  cheer.gif

Since I'm not familiar with the form, please take or toss my suggestions (and let me know if they interfere with the form).

Hugs!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

I keep on feeling like our time
is running out. No reason, rhyme
or logic to defend this fear,
however weird, I sense it near.  *Solid opening!  cloud9.gif

Unconsciously, a I feel the climb
and know we've wasted too much time
running about, without a care    *How about 'running rampant'?
while sifting sands now disappear.

A silent whisper, says "Don't despair!
We're all allowed specific time   *a 'speck' of time?

is closing in, so be aware.
When all is said and done, don't dare
to claim you hadn't seen the sign-

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Apr 17 05, 22:22
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

QUOTE(Jox @ April 15 2005, 21:36)

Hi James,

Thank you! I like chilling and yes, after I finished it I felt the same way...An opening of the eyes, is sometimes not truly what we really need! :) Is it "This is the end" By the Doors that you are referring to? ... If so, that use to be my favorite Doors song (years ago.)

I thank you for bringing to light some area's I might relook at and develop it from cliche to a little more fresh and original text. This was a quick write and my first for an assignment for a Rhyme Class I had taken. I was running out of time for the dead line on the assignment! LOL I am glad something else other than death comes to mind as well.

I will make some changes with your suggestions in mind and I thank you for bringing them to my awareness. They are exactly what is needd to make this poem, more fruitful.

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Apr 17 05, 22:31
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

Hi Nina,

Thank you for stopping in! I love when a poem offers readers a multitude of interpretations. I think that is a sign of good poetics.  Your thoughts on taking a relationship for granted is what I also have noted recently, we become complacent and dulled with our input into relationships. That is also including friendships, spouses and often siblings, parents and our children. We come to take it for granted that they are there and we start looking through them and not at them... Hey, that too is certainly another poem in itself! wink.gif

to tend our tills, and still the chime-I did wonder if and was the right word here.

Thanks for the read.  It was thought provoking

Yes, actually I wanted 'and still the chime' to offer a dual intention. To (still-stop...freeze in motion) or  and still (continues-) so that it could be read simultaneously as ... the chime continues to slow and close, but also that our actions are silling (stopping the chime) ...

I am glad it offered something to stir your thoughts.

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Aggiel
post Apr 18 05, 02:25
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 80

Hi Liz,

I love the rhymes and flow in our poem. It's a good read.

sun.gif

Regards

Aggiel

·······IPB·······

May all of us outrun any subsequent tsunamis.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Zeus˛_*
post Apr 19 05, 06:34
Post #9

Liz,
I think you are taking the optimist's view rather than the pessimistic.
So there is plenty of hope. Like the new form.

Hugs
Larry

jgdittier
post Apr 21 05, 09:24
Post #10

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Liz,
How gently but adroitly you've admonished us all for frittering away time.
MY thoughts:
stanzas 1 and 4 are fine with Cleo's changes and stanza 3 a knockout with that brilliant double use of "still". All are in perfect-/-/-/-/
You've already had several polishing strokes forcing me to squint
as I add one possible rub:
Stanza 2, line 3 begins with the beat on "running"
RUNning aBOUT, withOUT aCARE
while SIFTing SANDS now DISsaPEAR
if you would like to maintain the perfect beat, tighten the rhyme and maintain the thought:
to RUN aBOUT with OUT a CARE,
of SANDS of TIME, we've NONE to SPARE."
Just a thought, your decision always.
Cheers,     jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Apr 21 05, 16:30
Post #11

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE(Aggiel @ April 18 2005, 03:25)
Hi Liz,

I love the rhymes and flow in our poem. It's a good read.

sun.gif

Regards

Aggiel

Hello Aggiel,

Thank you so very much for the encouragement. It is always a kindness to have others root us on! Best to you, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Apr 21 05, 16:54
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE(Zeus˛ @ April 19 2005, 07:34)
Liz,
I think you are taking the optimist's view rather than the pessimistic.
So there is plenty of hope. Like the new form.

Hugs
Larry

Thank you Larry,

At first, when I wrote this, I hadn't really taken a personal view...actually I think it was more a message to myself, some inner fears and thoughts just seeping out between the conscious thinking of bills and other things! LOL

I like that you see and understand the positive tone...a sense of wakeup, begin living and finding what works for you...

I am so glad to see you here!

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Apr 21 05, 17:00
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE(jgdittier @ April 21 2005, 10:24)
Dear Liz,
How gently but adroitly you've admonished us all for frittering away time.
MY thoughts:
stanzas 1 and 4 are fine with Cleo's changes and stanza 3 a knockout with that brilliant double use of "still". All are in perfect-/-/-/-/
You've already had several polishing strokes forcing me to squint
as I add one possible rub:
Stanza 2, line 3 begins with the beat on "running"
RUNning aBOUT, withOUT aCARE
while SIFTing SANDS now DISsaPEAR
if you would like to maintain the perfect beat, tighten the rhyme and maintain the thought:
to RUN aBOUT with OUT a CARE,
of SANDS of TIME, we've NONE to SPARE."
Just a thought, your decision always.
Cheers,     jgd

Hi Ron,

Glad you enjoyed! Thank you for both the wonderful direction and the kind comments! The line in question, was intentionally created as a variation of iambic meter. It is a double Iamb, where a trochee and iamb, create a smooth fluxation to the ear. It helps to keep the meter from becoming too monotonous and sing songy.

Thank you for catching the multi-meaning of 'still' I wanted it to in some way add to the readers comprehension of time/life in motion.

Thank you for your excellent eye and feedback, I will be making some changes soon and hope to hear your thoughts.

Best Regards, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Apr 21 05, 18:07
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Hi Daniel,

I know I had posted a reply to your post and to Lori's, what happened to them, I am not sure...My apologies!

I just learned the form myself, in an online rhyme class-the params she set were a lot different from the params of the actual form. I like the way this came out, but I do find the params you've posted in the Karnak much more enjoyable.

I thank you for your feedback and your suggestions are 'spot on' will be using them to the most benefit. Thank you

Best Regards, Liz

HEY Lori,

As I just mentioned to Daniel, I posted a reply to your post and it is Pooof...
Thank you for your suggestion of "speck of time" I LOVE IT! and will be using it with your blessings!

The line "Running about' is a double iamb to freshen and enliven the meter so it didn't get too monotonous!

I will be revisions, hopefully this evening and I do look forward to your impressions!

Big Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:15

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: