Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello all.

For those who may be NEW to writing sites, we'd like to share those sites where 'caution' should be exercised.

Feel free to add to this thread, but remember to ONLY post FACTUAL information, no hear-say...

The one site that I have heard and read about across the WWW that is a CAUTION is Poetry.com(one of the domains owned by International Library of Poetry, aka International Society of Poets).

The following link provides excellent details on what they're all about:

http://poetropolis.com/poetryscams.php
Well, Poetropolis is no longer operating, but Kathy has provided another link for us all (TY):

http://windpub.com/literary.scams/endall.htm

This article also references other sites:

Noble House (European branch of poetry.com)
The Poem Place (thepoemplace.com - another International Library of Poetry site)
Hollywood's Famous Poets Society
The American Poets Society (poetryamerica.com)
The Poetry Guild
Pen Pushers Publications
Poets' Guild
Iliad Press (Cader Publishing)

Addition: Sep 11 2005 (thanks Fran) !
I am sure there is a tile somewhere with information on scams, but I shall add this link here in the meantime:

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 2 05, 12:19
Post #2

One common approach of some organisations, keener you grab your money, than publish you because they like your art, is as follows...
  • Scan the Net for writers (poets especially vulnerable).
  • Find a contact address.
  • Write the writer a very friendly e-mail which praises their work and says how much the organisation would like to publish them. The writer deserves a wider readership etc.
  • Ask if they may use one / more of your poems in a publication
  • (You agree to this).
  • They then offer you the opportunity to buy a copy of the anthology which contains your work.
  • You may / may not receive your copy of the book.
Now, just let's consider what has happened...

You have given permission to an unknown organisation to publish your work. How much did they pay you?
Err, nothing actually.
Well, of course they sent you a free copy of the anthology as a payment, then?
Err, no actually.
But of course, they sold you a copy.
Well, yes they did.
So what have you gained?
Not much.
What have they gained?
Free material and a ready group of people only too willing to pay for a book - giving the firm the profits on sales.
You know when you've been duped!

I name no names but you'll know the type of letter / e-mail when you receive it.

Best wishes, James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 2 05, 12:32
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I myself have received several such invitations James. LOL.gif

Of course, I did not get duped, but others may not be so fortunate. I even replied to two such emails asking for credentials and HOW they received my email address - and did not get a reply. THAT should tell ya something! devil.gif

Be careful!

Another tip:
Ask to see the names and credentials of the judges for any such contests. For the most part, you will not receive the list for those shady sites.

Also - take a look at the 'Winners' circle and make your own notes of the quality of work. Do these poems/stories meet your own criteria of professional, well-written, well-described work that you would yourself showcase?

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 6 05, 17:01
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

13 Warning Signs of a Bad Poetry Contest

Scam-busting by Winningwriters.com

Check out their advise here!

And another look at Poetry.com through Winningwriters.com
Here!

Good tips!  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 6 05, 17:28
Post #5

Excellent links, thanks Lori - a great warning and brilliant comedy.

Ghoil pfloh djiun!

James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 11 05, 05:58
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Added a new link above from Fran.
:pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 13:16

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: