The hours past are not returned
yet leave their lessons to be learned.

One precious minute paints your sky,
stays sixty seconds then shall fly
so mark each special second well;
they tick your life yet never dwell.

Original

The weeks, the months, the fleeting years
all filled with hopes and joys and fears.
I've squandered much (it's sad but true),
that’s not the path I’d wish for you.

A gift from God; each gilded day
for us to use in work or play.
The passing hour won't return
yet leaves a lesson to be learned.

One fleeting minute paints your sky,
it checks your life yet will not dwell.

"unique" replaced by "special" (thanks Syl)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Larry
post Jan 15 14, 23:22
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Wally,

Nice to see you back and posting. It's been a bit lonely around here of late.

This is, as you state, a poem for your grandchildren and so I found it appropriate that you utilized a rhyme
scheme with which children are familiar. It is a nice lesson in the value of time and a reminder to all of us
that we have only so many allotted year and should make the most of what God has given.

I have only one small nit and it has to do with metrical flow. S2/L3 - "hour" is monosyllabic and leaves that line
half a foot short. Perhaps losing the contraction and using "will not" can alleviate that bump.

Welcome back,
Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Thoth
post Jan 16 14, 01:10
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Hello Larry
I was hibernating - not dead laugh.gif

Thanks for reading and picking up that nit.
It's one I always tussle with since although technically "hour" is only one syllable, it is commonly voiced with a lightly accented r (ow-r) rather than (ow) . So it could also be two syllables.

To me, "The passing hour will not return" sounds slightly chunky unless a pause is inserted after hour

I dunno????

Cheers,

Wal

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Psyche
post Jan 18 14, 14:25
Post #4

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Ive not been hibernating, but I'm half dead all the same LOL.gif

Been moving house, from one province to another. From sprawling city to mountains and lakes. Etc. With very little help. During previous moves I don't remember feeling so emotionally charged. Took me ages! Would like to chat about that topic, but not now. huh.gif

OK, I came here before, but I'm back to say that I think it's a great poem for children, and adults as well. A good one for checking out whether one said such wise things to the kids...It leaves me wishful, thoughtful. Juggle.gif About how our kids inevitably stumble. lose time, follow the wrong signposts, etc.

Lovely piece, Wally! I understand the 'hour' issue. I was raised to pronnounce it 'au-er', something like that! Maybe somewhere, if you look hard enough, you'll find some sort of justification.... In my country, end rhymes can give you a + 1/2 syll, if the word is short and strongly emphasized on last syll. So one has to fit another 1/2 syll or poetic/grammatical figure to get it perfect.

So my tiny nit is in S4L3, with the word unique. Perhaps if you show me how you pronounce unique, and where the emphasis in words and line goes, then I'd appreciate it better. At the moment I stumble with the meter there, being no expert, as you know. upside.gif

The rest is fine. I'm so glad I dropped in again and found this gem!

Peace, Syl cloud9.gif ***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Maureen
post Jan 27 14, 17:43
Post #5

Egyptian

Member No.: 5,178
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:arnfinn

I love it Wally and confess that the 'hour' line works well for me - technically no doubt hour is one syllable but said with an Australian accents it equates to two - o-wer, so I would be thinking it would not be marked down because of that over here anyway.

It is a lovely poem to offer to your Grandies - words of wisdom from their Gramps. So pleased you are not 'dead' Balloons.gif

Cheers

Maureen

·······IPB·······

Thoth
post Jan 28 14, 09:52
Post #6

Laureate Legionnaire

Hello Syl and Mau

Thank you both for popping in with interesting comments:thanks:
I'm going to change "unique" because it does sound incorrectly stressed besides it is also a bit too high for kids.

Thank you for the useful input.

writersblock.gif

Wal

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Larry
post Jan 28 14, 13:50
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Wally,

I like the change because, as you say, some words are a bit hard for children to understand. As far as "hour"
goes, down here in the deep south, there are some folks who actually break that word down to three syllables:
"ow-er-uh". Most of them are preaching in the pulpit when they do so.

Nice life lesson for the kids!

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Feb 4 14, 17:05
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Hi Wally

How great to see you posting this thought provoking poem It's definitely a good one for children & adult too.

I like the change from unique to special. As to the 'hour' problem, I tend to use the syllables according to the meter I need magicwink1.png

It's good to read you tonight.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 5 14, 08:35
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Wally, wave.gif

What a lovely poem and tribute! lovie.gif I enjoy poems that have a deeper meaning and this one does for me. Hooray! cheer.gif

Here are some initial thoughts I have after reading it, first time. Please T or T as you wish.
The weeks, the months, the fleeting years --> I do enjoy the repetition of 'the' in this opening line and it reads smoothy, however, would you consider only using one of them? Maybe replace one of them with the word 'long' or 'short' or something else along those lines - something to animate/draw movement to those months and weeks (since you've used 'fleeting' to represent years) ?
all filled with hopes and joys and fears. --> There is something about the word 'wonder' when I think of children that makes me smile. Would you consider ditching one of the 'and's and replacing 'joy' with wonder - for metrical cadence, perhaps: all filled with wonder, hopes and fears - whatcha think? Read.gif
I've squandered much (it's sad but true), --> Perhaps change to semi-colon
that’s not the path I’d wish for you.

A gift from God; each gilded day
for us to use enjoyed (or adored) in work or play.
The passing hour won't return --> When I read this aloud it feels abrupt with the word "won't". I too pronounce 'hour' as 2 beats (and would pluralize it), however, I feel "will not" has a softer sound and would not magictongue.png mess the meter up when read aloud. What do you think Wally? The passing hours will not return
yet leaves a lesson to be learned.

One fleeting minute paints your sky, --> Since you've already used 'fleeting', how about 'transient'?
it checks your life yet will not dwell. --> Not sure 'checks' is what your meaning is about?

I enjoyed the read.
Cheers,
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Thoth
post Feb 6 14, 03:07
Post #10

Laureate Legionnaire

Thanks Lori

Always good to get another's thoughts and angles on a piece,that's what what makes work-shopping a poem on MM so rewarding. Not only are bugs fixed but with some subtle changes one can sometimes end up with a piece that sits entirely differently on the palette or perhaps appeals to a wider readership.

I made some slight changes so would appreciate any further comment.

Hugz

Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Thoth
post Feb 6 14, 03:10
Post #11

Laureate Legionnaire

Hello Snow

Good to see you here too cheer.gif

Thank you for dropping in to read.

Hugz

Wal

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 6 14, 09:40
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

YAY Wally! nicerev.gif

I especially like these two changes most of all:
The hours past are not returned
and
One precious minute paints your sky,

Well done!
~Cleo sprite.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Alan
post Feb 9 14, 04:48
Post #13

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 298
Referred By:Lori/Eisa/loads of old friends

Dear Wally,

Certainly like the updated version, except I have one (rather philosophical) tiny point : Not "work or play", but work AND play !

Love
Alan

PS I ain't dead either, just my muse.

·······IPB·······

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:43

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: