jeans
apple cider
pencil
reverie
skipping
tundra
politician
vegetarian

There I sat staring out over the ocean last summer in Ocean City while crowds of people were marching by, mostly wearing skimpy bathing suits, but a few in skinny jeans. I was content just to watch drinking my iced apple cider, solving sudoku with my pen or writing poetry with my pencil, sometimes getting lost in a reverie, falling to sleep dreaming.

I was skipping along the tundra in Alaska during the summer when I encountered a politician running for office who wanted to engage me about becoming a vegetarian! Suddenly a polar bear approached and I decided that I could run faster than the politician, who found out that the pretty white creature was not a vegetarian.... and I woke up with pencil scrawling all over my tablet!

reverie
skipping
tundra
politician
vegetarian
boomerang
archery
duck blind
anchorman
distancing

In your story, somehow I was expecting that the skinny artist would have had a bikini accident (after all the detail that you provided regarding the purchase!) when the lifeguard was posing for her! lol

boomerang
archery
duck blind
anchorman
distancing
arrow
C19
field
television
recommend

I settled down on my couch with a full glass of 1980 Argentine Malbec to watch an old Tom Hanks movie on television, when all of a sudden the anchorman of a local channel interrupted my pleasant evening by sending out shocking news that boomeranged at once. He recommended that patients with C19 should practice archery during the recovery period, to fortify their breathing and lung functions.

Sounded fun, but one poor soul had the bad luck to be struck in the eye with an arrow. He was never certain again about social distancing amidst the pandemic, so he took up running around an empty field with his guide dog.
At night they both sheltered in a duck blind for the duration. He's sueing the TV channel for 10 million dollars.
Fortunately, the surgery on his eye was successful and he went on to become an Olympic champion in Archery.

distancing
arrows
field
television
nunnery
Indian Ocean
mouse
diploma
purge
recommend

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JustDaniel
post May 17 20, 14:46
Post #63

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Well, Sylvia, this one was worth the wait! You busted my gut with laughter in this creative little unimaginable tale! That anchorman was a total idiot... but then he fostered an Olympic champion!

television
nunnery
distancing
arrows
Indian Ocean
mouse
field
diploma
purge
recommend

Having watched the same program on television that Sylvia did, I left my job as caretaker of the local nunnery, and distancing myself from the United States, I decided to pack up my arrows and head for Perth on the Indian Ocean from whence I would travel to the hinterlands of Western Australia. I had simply called up a map on my laptop, and with my mouse scanned its field and decided on my destination. It took no diploma to realize I needed to go where my arrows could fly freely and where I could purge myself of contact with human beings, which of course is what is recommended these days, to avoid the COVID-19.

Your revised list:

Indian Ocean
mouse
field
purge
recommend
grapefruit
grappling hook
disembark
crisis
pineapple upside-down cake

Have fun!

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post May 18 20, 12:44
Post #64

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ May 17 20, 16:46 ) *
Well, Sylvia, this one was worth the wait! You busted my gut with laughter in this creative little unimaginable tale! That anchorman was a total idiot... but then he fostered an Olympic champion!

television
nunnery
distancing
arrows
Indian Ocean
mouse
field
diploma
purge
recommend

Having watched the same program on television that Sylvia did, I left my job as caretaker of the local nunnery, and distancing myself from the United States, I decided to pack up my arrows and head for Perth on the Indian Ocean from whence I would travel to the hinterlands of Western Australia. I had simply called up a map on my laptop, and with my mouse scanned its field and decided on my destination. It took no diploma to realize I needed to go where my arrows could fly freely and where I could purge myself of contact with human beings, which of course is what is recommended these days, to avoid the COVID-19.

Your revised list:

Indian Ocean
mouse
field
purge
recommend
grapefruit
grappling hook
disembark
crisis
pineapple upside-down cake

Have fun!

That's difficult, Daniel...might try it later on in the evening. We're making a wonderful collection of mini stories. Hope you're happy in Australia.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post May 18 20, 15:21
Post #65

Ornate Oracle

It was an awfully long flight just to head into the hinterland!!! lol

You always make me wait for your story, but it's usually worth it!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post May 19 20, 22:51
Post #66

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

grapefruit
disembark
crisis
pine apple upside down cake
recommend
breakfast
cruiser
Travel Agency
romance
officer

My sexy cousin experienced a mental crisis due to a failed romance with a rich businessman. He tried to intern her in a closed residence, but she escaped with my help. On the way, we passed by a Travel Agency where a young man recommended we take a holiday on an Italian cruiser to the Islas Malvinas, which rightly belong to Argentina. This was before the 1982 war between Britain and Argentina's dictator, who was a drunken SOB. He'd sent poor, untrained country boys out to sea without proper equipment or even enough food.
My cousin Susan and I set out in January, excited because the cruiser would dock in Puerto Piramides to see the sea lions and penguins. We also enjoyed watching the whales playing on the ocean waves.
Later on, in the Beagle Channel, the Captain arranged for a midnight party in a beautiful bay, under the starry midnight sky. Susan became bessoted by an
Italian officer who seduced her in less time than it takes to bat an eyelid. I hardly saw her from then on, so I had my breakfast of grapefruit and toast by myself.
After a rough crossing of Cabo de Hornos, when most of the passengers threw up, the ship headed for Malvinas. We disembarked on those windswept isles, where the mainstay of the farmers' exports are sheeps' wool and peat. Not a tree in sight, but rows of attractive cottages with glass porches filled with huge, bright colored flowers. In their backyards, we could see flourishing orchards.
I knew a Chilean family living there, because their daughters boarded at the same school in Buenos Aires that my daughter attended as a day girl. This charming family invited us to tea and the mother served us a delicious pineapple upside down cake.
Later on, they took us on a tour of the main island, visiting Puerto Argentino (Port Stanley) towards the end. The Chilean girls wanted to sail with us to Buenos Aires, because the islands are desolate and boring for youngsters, but their father didn't allow it.
Sailing home, I wrote a poem about our unique experience.

breakfast
cruiser
Travel Agency
romance
officer
bumble bee
keyboard
polar bear
green pasture
Styx

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post May 19 20, 22:56
Post #67

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Have fun! I just wrote this at 1 a.m., so I expect a similar impressive story.
Can't wait. Juggle.gif JackBox.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post May 21 20, 15:13
Post #68

Ornate Oracle

breakfast
keyboard
Styx
polar bear
Travel Agency
cruiser
green pasture
bumble bee
romance
officer

After breakfast I was listening to the interesting keyboard interaction with acoustic and electric guitar by Styx on my computer while watching a video about polar bears on TV when a Travel Agency advertisement came on encouraging me to get tickets on a cruiser to experience the joys of travel to some far off green pasture where I could roam the fields romancing with butterflies and bumble bees. Suddenly there was a knock at my door, and a police officer arrested me for answering the door naked.

bumble bee
keyboard
Styx
green pasture
polar bear
nightshade
cough syrup
rattlesnake
elm tree
swimming hole

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post May 23 20, 14:04
Post #69

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ May 21 20, 17:13 ) *
breakfast
keyboard
Styx
polar bear
Travel Agency
cruiser
green pasture
bumble bee
romance
officer

After breakfast I was listening to the interesting keyboard interaction with acoustic and electric guitar by Styx on my computer while watching a video about polar bears on TV when a Travel Agency advertisement came on encouraging me to get tickets on a cruiser to experience the joys of travel to some far off green pasture where I could roam the fields romancing with butterflies and bumble bees. Suddenly there was a knock at my door, and a police officer arrested me for answering the door naked.

bumble bee
keyboard
Styx
green pasture
polar bear
nightshade
cough syrup
rattlesnake
elm tree
swimming hole

Good addition to our now voluminous short story book. You're very funny! I just did the word games and I'm tired of this Eric, who never shows up anymore. I shall abandom him at Birds and Words, or else make a public statement about his ignoring this noble activity. I'll try to do the new story tomorrow. It's raining now, don't know whether we'll get our regular walk. Snow is coming next week! Many months of isolation ahead. Our area is free of V. The government is managing this pandemic quite well, with very strict regulations, especially in Buenos Aires and other large cities.
See ya! Read.gif Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post May 23 20, 14:42
Post #70

Ornate Oracle

Glad to hear about the virus' not progressing much in your area! We had some thunder and lightning and then rain this morning, but it's been a beautiful spring day. If only I could get out and enjoy it. Very weak in my knee still. Begin physical therapy next week and have four doctor appointments! Best wishes with your snow! Look forward to your next little story.
Blessings!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post May 24 20, 14:45
Post #71

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ May 23 20, 16:42 ) *
Glad to hear about the virus' not progressing much in your area! We had some thunder and lightning and then rain this morning, but it's been a beautiful spring day. If only I could get out and enjoy it. Very weak in my knee still. Begin physical therapy next week and have four doctor appointments! Best wishes with your snow! Look forward to your next little story.
Blessings!

So sorry about the pain in your knee. Hope the therapy works well. Four doctors...wow.
We've been blessed with some sunny Autumn days. Went for a walk with my daughter and enjoyed the lovely colours in our neighborhood. So snow has been postponed for now.
I'll try the short story tomorrow. Blessings and good luck with your therapy and docs.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post May 29 20, 16:18
Post #72

Ornate Oracle

I'm beginning to feel the the "temporary knee" is not going to work for me, so I may be looking at another operation to replace it with a permanent total knee, with posts into femur and tibia. This one does not have the flexibility of a permanent knee, but is basically a "spacer" that bends. What is fearful to me is that it bends a little bit almost BACKWARDS, which leaves me without balance when I am not wearing the brace. HOPE that my surgeon will be able to fit me in on Monday as my therapist has requested. Will appreciate your prayers... and of course am patiently waiting for your short story.

I'm off to answer Rhymer's entry into our little 10-letter game!

deLightingly, Daniel rollerskater.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post May 30 20, 11:28
Post #73

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE (Psyche @ Mar 18 20, 18:43 ) *
I've decided to change 6 words, Daniel. More fun. Your input is so funny, no idea whether you put the guy on the seat on purpose! lol. claps.gif goodjob.gif

planet
purpose
pollution
wildlife
gel
mix
glicerine
laugh
clown
hat

Greta Thurnberg, Extinction Rebellion and many other fighters for planet Earth are purposely fighting for all wildlife. Humankind has polluted the seas, skies, lakes, rivers...well, everything.
However, many idiots behave like clowns with top hats, laughing as if nothing is happening.
People who can find glicerine make a mix of it with alcohol, adding some essential oils to protect delicate skin.

Here it goes, Daniel, with 6 new words.

pollution
gel
mix
laugh
poetry
baby
chains
guanaco
colossus
Andrea Bocelli

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post May 31 20, 21:50
Post #74

Ornate Oracle

You CHEATED! It's FINE that you changed six words from YOUR list to pass on to ME, BUT...

You changed six words from MY list that I passed on to YOU.... BEFORE you wrote your story!!!

Now is that fair?? Jester.gif nicerev.gif Jester.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jun 2 20, 14:47
Post #75

Trojan

Member No.: 1,150

pollution
gel
mix
laugh
poetry
baby
chains
guanaco
colossus
Andrea Bocelli

Pollution is like seeing Andrea Bocelli -dressed in Chains - who is a Colussus in musical circles. However, as Poetry is not his forte, I suggest it would be like listening to a bubbling Baby Mix of Guanaco Gel, to hear him gurgling in rhymed ‘tonic-so-fah’. Now that would be music to my ears and a right Laugh!

Not sure if this is what the ‘short story’ content by using your ten words should be? Are we supposedly changing 5 or 6 words? Do tell - please!

Metre
Rhyme
Puccini
Pascali
Cappuccino
Chains
Guanaco
Colossus
Poetry
Baby

More of a ‘pcture’ than a short story methinks? Hope I’m not screwing up here? Ciao for now. Thanks for your toelrance. Rhymner aka Denis.

JustDaniel
post Jun 3 20, 03:40
Post #76

Ornate Oracle

Great job, Denis!! You did exactly what we are trying to do here (except that you didn't use the "sizes" tab to enlarge the type so that Sylvia and I can READ what you've written. We generally use "4" lol)

poetry
rhyme
meter
Puccini
Cappuccino
Pascali
Chains
Guanaco
Colossus
Baby

Fortunately, when we're writing these little mini-stories we don't have to worry about poetry, rhyme and meter. Just put on a recording of a Puccini opera... let's see... Tosca it is, fix yourself a nice cappuccino, place your beautiful Pascali white rose in a little vase and break the chains of your writers' block. My mama had a llama, but I only have a guanaco, and it's no colossus; it's just a baby.

Here are YOUR ten words to use:

meter
rhyme
Puccini
Pascali
cappuccino
aphrodisiac
antidisestablishmentarianism
windshield
dipstick
convertible

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jun 3 20, 07:32
Post #77

Trojan

Member No.: 1,150

[/size]Short Story. 10 words.

meter
rhyme
Puccini
Pascali
cappuccino
aphrodisiac
windshield
dipstick
convertible

Intent on facing down and bearding members of the Antidisestablishmentarianism cult - a brigade of passionate zealots, of which Pascali was an active member, Puccini swallowed his Cappuccino - which he regarded as his morning Aphrodisiac - and scarpered off to his Convertible. First checking his Windshield Dipstick to ensure he had window washer in plenty, he started up the engine. Quoting a small Rhyme he had learned as a child, he, adjusting the Meter to match the rhythm of his engine, and singing loudly, sped swiftly away!

As he did so, he considered the following Ten Words, were most appropriate for the next Chapter in this intriguing short story. Rhymer.

Journeyman
Traveller
Railroad
Angel
Leveret
Convertible
Dipstick
Rhyme
Meter or Metre
Aphrodisiac

[size="4"]

Psyche
post Jun 3 20, 12:49
Post #78

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ May 29 20, 18:18 ) *
I'm beginning to feel the the "temporary knee" is not going to work for me, so I may be looking at another operation to replace it with a permanent total knee, with posts into femur and tibia. This one does not have the flexibility of a permanent knee, but is basically a "spacer" that bends. What is fearful to me is that it bends a little bit almost BACKWARDS, which leaves me without balance when I am not wearing the brace. HOPE that my surgeon will be able to fit me in on Monday as my therapist has requested. Will appreciate your prayers... and of course am patiently waiting for your short story.

I'm off to answer Rhymer's entry into our little 10-letter game!

deLightingly, Daniel rollerskater.gif

Just read your post, Daniel, so sorry. Sounds complicated, this knee surgery, but I'm confident that it will work for you. The therapist will guide you on how to keep your balance safely. I'll certainly be praying for success, have you already had the surgery? I have three long screws in one femur, the surgery is perfect, las Xray showed no movements or anything askew. So I'm praying every day for your quick recovery.
I apologize about changing 6 words, I'll only do 5 in the future. I think we can change a mix of words, some yours and some of mine. Not sure how Lori planned it. I'll try to do some of the challenges now. God bless and keep safe.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Jun 3 20, 12:56
Post #79

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rhymer @ Jun 3 20, 09:32 ) *
[/size]Short Story. 10 words.

meter
rhyme
Puccini
Pascali
cappuccino
aphrodisiac
windshield
dipstick
convertible

Intent on facing down and bearding members of the Antidisestablishmentarianism cult - a brigade of passionate zealots, of which Pascali was an active member, Puccini swallowed his Cappuccino - which he regarded as his morning Aphrodisiac - and scarpered off to his Convertible. First checking his Windshield Dipstick to ensure he had window washer in plenty, he started up the engine. Quoting a small Rhyme he had learned as a child, he, adjusting the Meter to match the rhythm of his engine, and singing loudly, sped swiftly away!

As he did so, he considered the following Ten Words, were most appropriate for the next Chapter in this intriguing short story. Rhymer.

Journeyman
Traveller
Railroad
Angel
Leveret
Convertible
Dipstick
Rhyme
Meter or Metre
Aphrodisiac

[size="4"]

Good mini story, Denis. That's the idea, to have a good laugh in these dark times. So glad you've joined our wee group! I'll be starting the word challenges now, so the answer to your great challenge will have to come later, maybe tomorrow. Daniel has had surgery on his knee, I'm praying for his quick recovery, All the best, Denis, to you and your family.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jun 5 20, 13:02
Post #80

Ornate Oracle

journeyman
traveler
railroad
leveret
angel
dipstick
convertible
rhyme
aphrodisiac
meter

The journeyman traveler hopped the railroad car, jumping like a leveret and calling on his guardian angel that he would not be found on the railroad tracks as some dipstick who attempted to board the train from a convertible racing alongside the train... and missed! There was not rhyme or reason in why he boarded the train, but the excitement was like an aphrodisiac to him, and it increased the meter of his heart!

journeyman
traveler
railroad
leveret
freeway
overpass
weigh station
patrolman
hitchhiker
tuna fish

P.S. Sylvia.... the problem was not in changing 6 of the words after you created your mini-story. It was changing the words BEFORE your story, silly!!!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 14:27

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: