IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In Stock But Out of Print
Guest_blondie_*
post Dec 10 03, 17:02
Post #1

In Stock But Out of Print

Capital letters and lower spaces,
permanently bound with experienced stitches.
Titled and numbered on the upper corners
of my novel existence.

Mysteries unveiled and fairytales lived;
the binder of my soul, notched--
while fingertips tap leafed pages with impatience,
foretelling the next adventure among the sentences.

Conditioned paperback philosophy, torn
then taped--avoiding the fake, plastic cover
One beginning but infinite conclusions
As each chapter is a story.

Unfolding dog-earred pages as meaning is extracted,
wishing for a happy ending.
Only the occasional paper cut calamity
caused by a surprise tremble.

No skipping allowed, no scanning or cheating.
Patience learned as eyes grow weary,
For an exciting chapter is yet to come
A larger type-face and a place on the top shelf.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Ephiny
post Dec 11 03, 07:06
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Oh my god, this is wonderful!!  What a really clever idea, a storybook of life!!  You use the metaphor really, really well and each stanza is beautifully written, weaving in and out of different emotions, using the image of the book all the time.  I love the line "one beginning but infinite conclusions", so true and so full of hope and promise.  The final stanza ends the poem really well, leaving us wanting more of course!  I really enjoyed this.. smart.gif

I also love the title!

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 11 03, 08:52
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

What awesome metaphors!  :dance:

I'll be back again when time permits!  :cloud9:

Ho ho ho!  :xmas:

~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Zeus²_*
post Dec 11 03, 10:11
Post #4

Amy,
as your editor/publisher I have already set up a booksigning tour including tv show interviews etc. laugh.gif

What a fantastic display of wording comingling the use of metaphors to express yourself.
Well done.
Larry Snowflake.gif

Guest_blondie_*
post Dec 15 03, 10:25
Post #5

Hi folks! So sorry for the delay in replying...

Dear Lucie,

Thanks so much for the taking the time to read and reply.  My "book" poem was one of the first ones I wrote and one of my favorites.  I'm glad you enjoyed it as you did!  

-----

Cleo,

Thanks for taking a moment to reply.  Me likes metaphors!  (if ya can't tell already! )   wink.gif

-----

Larry,

Wow!  I'm honored!  So.....does this mean I finally get to meet Oprah?  I appreciate your kind comments immensely!

Have a terrific day!

~Amy~

Guest__*
post Dec 15 03, 15:12
Post #6

Dear Amy
Just a note to say that i enjoyed your foray into the world of books. Your metaphors ring very true.

My pages are dog eared now, and sometimes my philosophy is attacked by self doubt. My eyes grow more weary by the week, but I keep on changing to stronger spectacles.

When you do go to the publisher, please remember to stipulate large print. :)

Jimmy Mac.

Guest_blondie_*
post Dec 15 03, 16:20
Post #7

Jimmy,

Ahh, thanks so much for dropping me a note.  :)

I am grateful for your kind reply and comments.  This was a fun one to write.  I got the idea from a conversation my dear friend and I were having one day concerning how busy we both have become.  She made the comment that "her life was a book."  Indeed, I think mine is as well!  Sometimes I ponder whether that's a good thing...OR a bad thing...?

Again, thanks for reading... :)

~Amy~

Guest_Don_*
post Dec 24 03, 15:07
Post #8

Wow blondie!

Almost impossible to choose a favorite stanza.  Mine is your very first.

Your title is what enticed me to this island of Sirens. It is an oxymoron on the surface but speaks volumes to writers with potential novels in manscript stage.

However, the first stanza, second & third lines say it is a bound book. hmmmm

As others have already said, this is loaded with metaphors, similes and images.  

I suggest changing next to last line, "chapter" to "event."

Just had cataract surgery with implanted lenses PLUS new external corrective lenses.  Larger type-face remains rule of the day.  Nothing replaces young eyes.  At least we are not doomed to blindness like Milton.

You may need top shelf (which I am sure means top quality), but any shelf space will do at our hovel.

GREAT WORK, and thanks for letting us read it.

Are you planning on placing this in more critical critics domain?

Don

Guest_blondie_*
post Dec 24 03, 17:13
Post #9

Don,

Thanks so much for gracing my poem with your dear comments.  Your kind words brightened my day!   I, too, have a difficult time dissecting a favorite stanza.  I guess it's pretty impossible to choose...this is one of "my babies," and as children, you must love them for everything they are and are not. :)

When writing this, I deliberated on every single word in hopes of staying consistent with the whole "book/novel" idea.  Therefore, as I appreciate the suggestion to change "chapter" to "event," I hesitate to change it.  I am quicker to think of a "CHAPTER of a book/a new CHAPTER of my life" rather than an "event."  But I will think on it, and as always, am thankful for the idea. :)

I mentioned to Alan earlier about perhaps posting in the critical critique area.  My only concern is my expertise in critiquing.  I feel I could never give back what I am sure I would receive there because my critiques are usually "gentle."  But I will probably venture there soon. :)

Thanks for your time....and thanks for reading! :)

~Amy~

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:28

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: