Planting

Lazar, or what was left of him, now rode
in grey sedan to lead the second line.
From saxophone and trumpet music flowed
as he, in white fedora, lay supine
upon gardenia and gentian bed.
Micawber, the mortician, thought it best
although it was eristic for the dead;
but his Achilles heel was zealot’s test.

He’d tried lobelia and greengage bloom
mixed with sliced Bartlett pear to stanch the smell
from poor Lazar’s leprotic flesh... the doom
of all disease. Youngberry black, his shell
was all that now remained. As he had planned,
he died; Winchester rifle in his hand.

Eponyms used: lazar, sedan, saxophone, fedora, gardenia, gentian, micawber, eristic, Achilles heel, zealot, lobelia, greengage, Bartlett pear, youngberry, Winchester rifle

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Rhymer
post Jan 17 17, 08:11
Post #2

Trojan

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 1,150
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Larry and a great write by yourself. A first class write and your ability to write this in a sonnet, is remarkable. Personally, I find sonnets very difficult to write - perhaps due in part, to my schoolmaster, who wanted almost anything we composed, written in this format, which turned me against it, as a 'form' for me to use! Frankly, most of the various descriptive terms for poetry, mean little to me. I follow and use whichever one seems to fit my mood best, at the time. T

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what and how others write, for I do enjoy reading a well written, descriptive poem that gets me thinking as to how the poet was inspired? However, I am loathe to critique anything others write having found, it all too often, leads to antagonistic confrontation no matter how well intended or in what terms the criticism is couched! That's why I refrain from such practices. How goes that old saying? Discretion is the better part of valour! In my numerous years of living, it's been found a good motto to live by!

Occasionally I will dabble in, or attempt a format that I've not tried before,. Sometimes with some peculiar results. Those are seldom exposed to pubic viewing! Another format in which I enjoy dabbling, is the Limerick and these I have written in their hundreds! Some reflect opinions or traits about folks I know - no they're not Clerihews of which I have some - but these are never allowed out into the public eye! Wonder why? Lol!

I think perhaps using the Narrative format suits me best. These allow me to write a "story" or cover an occasion, express an opinion or - whatever? in the requisite number of verses to cover the story, by applying the three essential elements - as we were taught - of Beginning, Middle and End! Something that I so often see, missing in many poems presented on various sites today! I hate being left hanging with no answer to the story situation the poet has described in his first verses. I always try to bring a satisfactory ending to anything I write.

But enough of my morning ramblings. We're expecting a day of freezing rain and that could mean possible power outages, that will add more problems to the day! I have enough trouble keeping myself stable when conditions are good, but freezing rain? No thanks! I'll stay put inside. Fortunately I have no valid reason to go anywhere today.

Check back on MM later. Have a great day, and will check back in later. Ciao for now. Denis aka Rhymer.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:51

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: