Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Broken Meter, From one very capable
Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 23 04, 13:22
Post #1

Broken Meter (Revised - thanks all   sings.gif  )

I was going down a long flight of stairs,
my rhythm steady, as I’ve done for years.
A thing I often do without thinking,
merrily I went, steadily escending,
left, right, left, right, left again…

Something so simple, it’s automatic.
The legs, they obey, nothing dramatic.
My mind had time and let go the wheel;
surely I’d more weighty thoughts to reveal,
left right, left, right, left...LEFT?

Not so, oh no! Feet became tangled!
Look out! I fell, my tranquil pace wrangled.
Ooh, oh, ah…ouch! Down the steps I rolled,
rib cracked, forehead whacked, and twisting an ankle,
till bottom I smacked, body torn and mangled.

Eyes still blurry, a vision came to me.
Stair climbing, it seemed like writing poetry,
left, right, left, right…until it skips a beat.
Haphazard tempo spells broken meter,
liable to bodily injury is the reader!

Welcome to my basement…

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JLY
post Sep 23 04, 14:03
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Tao,
I enjoyed this; a humorus tribute to clumsy feet and loss of balance.  Good rhyme scheme helps to set the pace.

I would consider changing the following line:

to

Stair climbing, like writing poetry........

but that change would require revising the following line and I don't have a suggestion for you at this time.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Zeus²_*
post Sep 23 04, 17:19
Post #3

David.
very funny laugh.gif
A cursory diagnosis would be you have foot block (metric type)
Exercise is the best cure.
Prognosis: excellent Read.gif  :cheer:

Larry sun.gif

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 23 04, 21:08
Post #4

Hi JLY,

Thanks for visiting. I hope it was worth a "laugh:? This is a tribute to MY clumsy feet, never could get my meter straight trying the old forms. It's been a subject of contention for me and may yet cause injury...

That line is a bit odd. I will have to see if there's a better substitution. I could just say

Stair climbing is like writing poetry

That would go with the next line just fine. I'll ponder... detective.gif

David :)

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 23 04, 21:14
Post #5

Why thank you, Doctor Zeus?? Hat.gif

Most insightful diagnosis, don't think I'll be needing a second opinion. The real joke is that I did it again, this another piece embroiled in mixed feet and fallen down meter. That's why I welcomed the reader to my basement...rolling down with me. rofl.gif

I'm glad there's a cure, not completely hopeless! Speechless.gif

David

Cybele
post Sep 25 04, 04:18
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Oh David,  :upside:

Being literal for a moment, this happened to me about six years ago. I was descending the stairs while reading a letter and wham! I finished in a heap at the bottom with a shattered bone protruding from my leg, the consequence of which was a screw through my ankle and a six inch titanium bar inserted into my leg. Talk about bionic woman!! Jester.gif

This is very clever David, like all your pieces.

Just one tiny observation :

bodily injury is liable the reader!

I don't quite follow this line ~ did you mean something like bodily injury is likely to the reader?  :detective:

Love

Grace
farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Ephiny
post Sep 25 04, 05:30
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 41

Poor David  :wave:

Being literal for a moment as well, one day last week, while trying to be elegant and wearing heels, I had a day of tripping over my own feet!!

Grace, that sounds awful, I hope that your poor leg is ok now.

This poem is really clever (and it did occur to me that there can't be surer proof of your dedication of poetry then to think about it whilst lying at the bottom of the stairs after a fall  :cheer: )

But of course, you're absolutely right..it is just so easy to go off tempo, "skip a beat", and suddenly lose that flow of words or structure.  Very clever comparison!

And I really love the last line cool.gif

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 25 04, 12:03
Post #8

Good Morning Grace, sun.gif

No, please, don't be literal! This was not meant to bring back painful memories. It hurts me just to hear of your predicament. The picture of protruding bone was not what I had wanted to wake up to. medusa.gif And for you, picture me gritting my teeth reading your misfortune!

Re. the last line, I was stuck on the word liable for some reason, just liked the sound of it. Thought I could get away with an inversion there. Would it have made more sense if I'd said

bodily injury the reader is liable? (am I missing a "to?")

All of a sudden, I can't remember how people use the adj. liable! Perhaps I should use your suggestion, certainly would avoid confusion. What say you, bionic woman?  borg.gif

David

p.s. I added a "to" to that line.

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 25 04, 12:16
Post #9

Good Morning Lucie,

That's funny, write a piece about rolling down the stairs and readers are all falling over themselves! rofl.gif Well, at least your episode does not show bones like that of Grace's. Yee... turkey.gif

But I must confess, my fall here was imaginary, came about as a result of the metaphor. That is not to say that I've led a safe existence. I did tumble two stories back in elementary school. And somehow, I'd also fallen through the monkey bars in kindergarten with little harm. It's a miracle I'm still here. angel.gif

Talk about a chill, I can certainly use a fire in the basement. Winter's coming!

David

Guest_Don_*
post Sep 26 04, 10:47
Post #10

David~~

Hold on...I lost cap to fountain pen under one of these paper piles.
Whew, found it.

Very clever of you to metaphor faulty meter with tripping on stairs.  
I would like to mention that though stairs are usually uniform, architectual cases exist for intentional breaking of stride, say for entering a sacred area or structure.  A running pace, for example, is altered into a more solemn mood via a slowed step.  The automatic thoughtlessness is converted into cognizance of where your next step should be placed.

Likewise poetry has purpose in altering meter for pace and mood, as you well know.

I see nothing wrong in your use of "liable" as defined by likely unfavorable outcome.  This word adds what kind of outcome, which "likely," solo, does not.  However, "liable" is an adjective and your placement is faulty.  To demonstrate, insert synonym, "apt" in identical location of "liable."

Stanza three remains my poetic favorite.  I humbly suggest change in line four to
"... and twisted an ankle,"
for smoother flow.

Don

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 26 04, 12:24
Post #11

Hello Don,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. You've a good point on deliberately varied steps. We need look no further than those at the monuments in Washington DC. The climb to the Lincoln Memorial, for instance, is broken up by immense plateaus twice I believe, so that one can turn and even ride a bicycle around, and take in the grand fountain and Washington Monument abeam.

I also agree with your suggestion for twisting an ankle. It sounds much smoother, thank you. :pharoah2

The liable line though, has lived up to it reputation, as I am liable to revise it (Already have! ). If not for the inversion, it would have looked like this:

the reader is liable to bodily injury

Would that be better grammar? The dictionary does differentiate likely, liable and apt. Even finer nuances exist between apt and liable, where liable implies fault on a person while apt does not. So, in a strict sense, apt would not carry the same meaning. I still like liable, but if the inversion doesn’t work, would you have suggestions? Thanks.

David :)

Cybele
post Sep 26 04, 12:46
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hi David, Read.gif  :laugh:

Eyes still blurry, a vision came to me.
left, right, left, right…until it skips a beat.
Haphazard tempo spells broken meter,

the reader is liable to bodily injury

Works perfectly!!

Love

Grace
farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Sep 26 04, 13:35
Post #13

David~~

Gee whiz, I selected "apt" for the example to amplify the clunky sounding arrangement.

I agree with Grace regarding what you state is your more grammatically correct sentence.  BTW, I try not to be a grammarian.  Popular songs, for instance, seem to flout grammar rules to remain popular.

I don't want to be holding up a sword like an exclaimation mark when the lightning strikes.

Better to be a sloppy grammarian than fried.

Don  sun.gif

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 26 04, 17:28
Post #14

Hi Grace and Don,

Grace, we're getting there. It comes down to which line I'd rather rhyme with now I think, the poetry or meter line. I've revised but stayed with rhyming with meter.

Don, grammatically correct, me? That'll be the day! Choosing the right words is hard enough. As for your distaste for a holy barbecue, I guess knight.gif hood is out of the question for you?

David

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 22:33

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: