Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
> Thinking Deeper to Develop Writing Skills, Discuss
Guest_Nina_*
post Sep 19 05, 14:48
Post #1

I would like to pick up on a comment Fran made in her Flash thread talking about the character moving from river bank to boat, using the branch of a tree overhanging the water.

The bounce required a bit of planning - needs pace but yet to show readers what is happening very clearly.

Now I'm still very green when it comes to writing prose and have a long way to go in terms of learning and improvement.  How do you learn to get the balance right, becoming more aware of how you are writing?  I tend to just write what I'm thinking or seeing, rather than taking an objective step back to consider the readers. I feel perhaps that my writing is still too distilled, missing out on the little details that bring a picture to life but I just don't think about it when writing. How do I develop that skill?  When does conscious become subconscious or is it a case that you either have the ability or you don't?

Nina

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
Guest_Don_*
post Apr 10 06, 11:37
Post #2

Hi all,

I've avoided novel writing because of habits from years of writing boring technical reports.  The idea in technical writing is to avoid people and remain neutral.  Novel writing requires plot and characters, which I seem unable to produce.  

I remember a successful novel writer hired by our corporation, which wrote lots of proposals and tech reports.  She didn't work out because her bent was to put life into the dull phrases.  She corrupted technical terms, understood by us when they were drab.  

What little I understand of the craft is that a grabber beginning is essential.  I've been educated that the all time best beginning is: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Just thinking up beginnings is a beginning.

Conversation is one means of keeping the story alive.  This area is not easy to master, but mastering it is a huge plus.

Pace is important because we quickly become bored.  Fast forward, flashback, new character, mystery, mixing short and long paragraphs. Interweaving long and short chapters.

Maybe the art has changed, but I was instructed to always insert a foretelling of major events to come.  In "Macbeth" the three witches provided this feature.

Above are a few thoughts which jumped into my head.  Must leave now for health maintenance exercise.

Don   mm.gif  mm.gif

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Nina   Thinking Deeper to Develop Writing Skills   Sep 19 05, 14:48
- - JLY   Nina, I am of the belief that if you can write qua...   Sep 19 05, 14:54
- - Nina   Hi John Prose affords you the opportunity to deve...   Sep 19 05, 15:05
- - Toumai   Hi Nina Thanks for posting this discussion. How ...   Sep 20 05, 02:10
- - Perrorist   QUOTE (Nina @ Sep. 20 2005, 05:48)I would lik...   Sep 20 05, 03:03
- - Jox   Hi Nina, et al. Yes all the above comments I...   Sep 20 05, 08:38
- - JLY   Nina, Fran, James, and MM Family: I believe this ...   Sep 20 05, 09:00
- - Nina   thanks everyone for such sound advice.  There...   Sep 20 05, 15:48
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Nina. I'm late to the party! Since I'm a to...   Sep 20 05, 19:07
- - Toumai   How about a little excercise? Take one very simp...   Sep 21 05, 05:15
- - Cleo_Serapis   Sounds good Fran! How about posting in Noble Nar...   Sep 21 05, 05:28
- - Toumai   Hi Lori, I KNEW there'd be a proper place to ...   Sep 21 05, 06:05
- - Peterpan   Hello Nina (and all at MM) Such an interesting an...   Apr 10 06, 10:41
|- - Toumai   QUOTE (Don @ Apr 10 06, 17:37 ) I remembe...   Oct 15 06, 03:07
- - Rosemerta   I stumbled on to this tile today and after reading...   Oct 14 06, 23:47
|- - Toumai   QUOTE (Rosemerta @ Oct 15 06, 05:47 ) I s...   Oct 15 06, 03:22
|- - Rosemerta   Fran, It was a pleasure to read your response. N...   Oct 29 06, 21:15
- - shaggy breeks   hiya, i feel your plight, i used to have no idea w...   Feb 15 07, 05:50
- - Peterpan   Hi ~ Interesting thoughts you have there. I have...   Feb 15 07, 10:06
- - jgdittier   Dear All, My first time through this door... I...   Mar 12 07, 16:44

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:12

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: