Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

How to Build a Novel Notebook
by Vicki Hinze Copyright 1996

First things first. What is a novel notebook, and why do you, a creativegenius, need one?

A novel notebook is simply a binder in which you organize and store all the information pertinent to a single novel.

Why do you need one?
Because the more organized you are, the less time you spend searching for things you can't remember where you put, and the more time you spend geniusing. In other words, more fun time and less frustration.

What goes into a novel notebook?

In a word, everything pertinent to the novel under construction. You can structure your notebook in any manner that works for you.

I structure mine as follows:

What you need:

A loose leaf binder (so you can add/move pages)
Tabbed Index Labels

I start with a .5" binder so it doesn't seem so empty, and I don't feel so overwhelmed. Then when the novel progresses and that's a tight fit, I move the contents to a 1" binder. By the time the novel is done, depending upon the novel, I've graduated to a 2" or even a 4" binder--and on each progression, I celebrate. I can see my progress!

The tabbed indices mark the topic headings, so that it's easy to locate whatever you're after--no rifling through all the pages.

Topic Headings I use:
Time Sheet
Correspondence
Time Line
Ideas
Main Characters
Minor Characters
Synopsis
Scene Sheets
Notes
Research
Chapters

What goes in each topic?

• Time Sheet: Here I track the date, time invested, the focus of the investment, and progress each time I work on this specific novel.

• Correspondence: Copies of all correspondence that I generate or receive regarding the novel is kept here.

• Time Line: A brief annual overview of the characters' histories and dates of important events in their lives. A story calendar, of sorts.

• Idea: The first seed of the story is typed up and captured here. Perhaps only a couple pages, written, unedited, but containing the meat of the story theme.

• Characters--Main: The heroine and heroine. Photos, character biographies, magazine cut-outs or anything else of interest to these characters.

• Characters--Minor: Secondary character photos, character biographies, magazine cut-outs or anything of interest to these characters.

• Synopsis: A detailed synopsis of the novel. My copy is more detailed than the one submitted, so the version submitted, I include here, as well.

• Scene Sheets: A separate sheet for each scene in the novel that includes information pertinent to that scene. (i.e., the point of view character, date, time, and place of the scene. The scene purpose, goal, conflict and resolution.) I also keep photos of houses, floor plans, interior rooms here--unless they become too cumbersome.

Then I add a topic:

Settings:
Notes: Jottings of anything that has relevance to the novel but isn't, for example, a thread that needs to be run through the novel. Those go directly onto the scene sheets.

Research: Copies of specific research pertinent to any aspect of the novel are kept here, as is a list of references/sources used in compiling information. If I speak to a doctor, for example, his name, number, and a synopsis of the conversation will be found here.

Chapters: The actual novel, page by page, chapter by chapter. After the first draft is written, I revise and replace the first draft with the second one. The only novel draft that isn't included here is the FINAL.

When the novel is done, I put the notebook contents into an envelope, label it, and reuse the binder for the next novel.

Putting together a notebook is work, yes, but it's efficient work. Having constructed novels with and without the organizational aid of a notebook, I find I work a lot faster with one--with less frustration, and with more time spent creating and less time spent trying to recall eye colors, or where I read a tidbit I need and now can't locate.

You can build your novel notebook in any way which works for you. The important thing is to structure it so that it is an aid that assists you in creating. For me, a notebook is an essential tool.

Dr. Vicki Hinze is an award-winning, best-selling author who routinely shares her expertise at national writers'conferences, online, and through her writing guides. Her latest non-fiction book is "All About Writing to Sell", from Spilled Candy Books for Writers. This 589-page ebook covers everything you need to know about the craft of writing, the publishing business, and the secrets to getting published. "All About Writing to Sell" is available at www.spilledcandy.com as a download or disk.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 20:56

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: